Moving On - Kate | A'ric

The main, central area of the Weyr, since it's no longer a "bowl" like before, people have taken to calling it the courtyard, or more often, the Weyr Yard. Dragons land and take off here while people walk from building to building going along their daily duties.
Shaihulud

Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:41 pm

Ever since her return, Carrot remained aloof to most of her concerned family and friends, as well as many others throughout the Weyr. Miraculously, however, K'din managed to retain somewhat of her trust, for he proved himself to be one of the few in her life whom held absolutely no sort of expectation of her aside from being herself, whatever that might be. Yet who was the soul who inhabited this body titled "Carrot." What had she become over her months hidden away in Walled at the mercy of her captors? Carrot did all she could to forget the events, but they became as much apart of her, defining her very being and purpose almost as much as her boys Onnen and Adrune.

Adrune... Addie... She wept when she saw her son, and he wept in turn. Sweeping the lad into her arms, she held him for hours with Onnen, the three of them knit closely together in a stitch that would never break against the onslaughts of the world. "I'mma protect ya. Ain't nothin' e'er gonna happen t'ya... not e'er..." Purpose proclaimed itself in her children, Adrune and Onnen curled in her arms, succumbing to the calls of sleep while Carrot remained awake and vigilant against any who might threaten the sanctity of their lives.

Not even Locke could harm them now.

But what of her? Late into the night Carrot stared off into the darkness, watching jewelled eyes of Ginger staring right back at her in worry. In a new room in a new wing of the creche, Carrot could no familiarity in her quarters, no warmth of home. Though Unna managed to keep the worker's precious belongings, and even her feline, pictures covered meaningless walls, and sheets tucked against a cold and unused bed. Perhaps she could look at it as a blessing, for no memories of Locke or the kidnapping assaulted her, no memories tucked themselves away in every little crevice of the room. She had a kitchen, she had her rocking chair to knit in, and she now had Murr's forgotten gift from Micah worn around her neck. Her sister forgot her good life before the new one destroyed her. Wearing that necklace remained Carrot never to allow the same to ever happen to her. For all the bad that happened in the last Turn, much good needed to be recalled. She still had Adrune and her sister, she found a needed friend in K'din, those who loved her still cared for her after her months of absence, and now... she had Onnen...

Meow'lek called to her from her feet, the feline pawing at her toes for attention before he leapt onto her lap and found a place snug between the warm bodies of her boys. "Ya miss me too, Meow?" Curling paws and rumbling purrs answered the woman. He gave her kisses with half closed eyes before a mighty yawn escaped the small beast. Carrot answered with one of her own, finally aware of her need for rest. Dawn had not yet crept into the sky when she finally found her own peace of repose.

Though reluctant to let her children go the next day, Livia pressed Carrot nonetheless to leave her children in the fellow creche mother's care for a time while Carrot took some time to herself to go ride on Snow-Beauty.

"You haven't ridden in weeks, Carrot. Not since you've gotten back. You need to get out for a bit, live again. Please... for us? We've been worried about you. And don't worry about the boys. They will have a good time with Graveal and Sunnita like they always do." The persistent pressings broke the will of the wary woman, and finally Carrot gave in, leaving the creche in her riding gear.

It smells all musty, Ginger, Carrot thought to her long missed ruby firelizard as they made their way out to the stables. She would make sure to give all unused close a good scrubbing before she wore them again.

The little beast whined to her in turn, eager for the long awaited ride, drawing a chuckle from the woman.

Yeah... I miss her too. Reaching the stables, Carrot heard the eager whinnies of her runner calling for her. It seemed Snow-Beauty missed her as well, and yearned for a ride far away from the stables that confined her. Carrot could understand those sentiments and took out the runner to check her hooves and tack her up. Home greeted her in the saddle, and for the first time in weeks since her return, Carrot felt a sense of home. Riding out on the runner, she easily found her pace in her mare's heavy trot, though liberation was found in the canter that carried them across the bowl for the Weyr lakes.

Upon their arrival, Carrot dismounted and removed the saddle, saddle blanket and bridle, giving the runner sometime to enjoy her own freedom. The runner galloped about her before she finally settled upon a patch of grass to worry her teeth into. Lips sorted through the shoots, and Carrot watched her all the while, appreciating the simple life her runner led.

Could her life be so simple?

Carrot supposed it could. She just needed to let go. With Snow-Beauty safe in the fields, Carrot found her reprieve upon the weyr lake shores that she began to comb for water beaten stones. All the while, she remained unaware of her brother's meddling from down in the dungeons...

... she really needed to visit D'ran... but she banished the thought before it might take root and corrupt her good mood.
Kate

Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:59 am

A'ric couldn't help but yawn to himself as he laid on his bed. Their training sessions were getting more intense, and he honestly always seemed to be tired, as did Behemoth. He had decided that the two of them should probably lay down and nap. He knew they could use the rest, and they didn't have anything to do for a while anyway. The young man would just have to make sure he didn't sleep too long. He didn't want to miss his night chores, or dinner for either of them. So the two of them had laid down, and now, A'ric could NOT fall asleep. He was yawning because he was bored, or at least that's what he took it as anyway. Finally he decided to get up and go for a relaxing walk. Maybe that would just help relax him. He didn't know what it was, but he couldn't settle down. Behemoth didn't even move as his rider walked out.

He quickly decided to head down towards the stables. He had always loved runners, just had unfortunately not had much time to see them. He did ride on occasion, albeit rarely. He talked to one of the table hands once he got there, and was granted permission to take out one of the easier to control runners. That was fine by him. After he got his saddle and everything on, which surprisingly he remembered how to do, he set out. At first he didn't really know where he wanted to go, but he finally decided on going down to the water edge and on ride along the beach. It sounded more fun than just going around the Weyr.

He reached the beach, an animal ran out in front of them, scaring the runner, who decided that the thing was going to kill it. A'ric held on, but as the runner took off, his inexperience shone through as he came tumbling off, rolling a bit in the sand. He laid there a moment, frowning to himself. He finally managed to catch his breath, and slowly began trying to move, testing to see if anything was broken or not. So much for a relaxing ride.
Image Image Image Image Image
Isiana & Andromedath | A'ric & Behemoth | K'uavaen & Synsith | Talen & Khonlen | Devyn & Isamuyn
Shaihulud

Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:21 pm

As Snow-Beauty loped off along the shore and into the pastures beyond it, Carrot continued to pick particular stones along the beach that she found attractive to her worn chestnut gaze. One in particular caught her attention, one of cool grey that took on tones of blue when introduced in to the water. Her thumb ran over the smooth surface, noting every little granule pattern, every little streak, every little groove. She would have pocketed the stone for a decoration in her hollow home where it not for the sound of runner hooves approaching. The steps sounded far too light to be those of her draft, Snow-Beauty, a fact confirmed when she turned up in time to see a young man unhorsed by his own wayward runner. The gelding ran off, and the man found himself prone on the ground as he attempted to recover.

Startled by the incident, the young woman lost her rock, yet rather than search for the palm sized stone, Carrot moved across the sands to approach the young man, worried all the while over his health.

"Are ya alrigh'? Looks like ya took a bad fall there..." Carrot passed a glance over her shoulder at the runner now far off from them. Should she said Ruby after the beast? For the mean time, the creche worker refrained and instead offered an unmarked hand to the man at his feet. "Here... let me help ya up..."
Kate

Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:03 pm

A'ric finally managed to catch his breath, which was easier said than done. He hadn't thought that the wind had been knocked out of him THAT badly, but apparently it had. He should have been more vigilant. He had let himself relax far too much for not having done this in quiet some time. He had thought that he would be alright, and he probably would have been if he had been paying more attention. Now that he was done gasping for air, and had moved every part of his body that he possibly could, and so far, besides knowing he was going to be really sore the next day, none of his bones seemed to be broken or anything like that.

He debated sitting up, but knew he probably shouldn't just yet. Just about the time he felt as though he could try sitting up, he heard a voice. He opened his eyes a bit, and saw a young woman standing in front of him. He could see her red hair, but he couldn't exactly focus. He gently took her hand though and was finally able to sit and then stand up. He studied her for a moment and said, "Thank you...The name is A'ric. I don't think we've met before.." He felt completely embarrassed, but he managed to keep himself from blushing or anything like that. He said, "I guess I should probably go catch my runner now.." He did not envy having to do so, but he knew that it was something that needed to be done, so h was going to do it.
Isiana & Andromedath | A'ric & Behemoth | K'uavaen & Synsith | Talen & Khonlen | Devyn & Isamuyn
Shaihulud

Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:22 pm

Carrot knew to give a hand, though she did not know she would have to give a name in the process. Once the man, one of equal age to D'ran it seemed, offered a name to her, she hesitated to return her own. An uncomfortable pause followed after he pointed out the fact they had not met before, her eyes searching all over, her growing anxiety drawing over Ginger who chirped at her mistress in concern.

Did she respond?

It seemed not, for her delay appeared to either give him answer or give him understanding that she preferred not to get too acquainted with him. This man, this... A'ric... spoke on about catching his runner, giving Carrot the option to bow out of formal introductions with a stranger. After Walled, Carrot felt she had met enough strangers and acquaintances to last a lifetime.

"I guess I should probably go catch my runner now."

Carrot made a glance over to the man before turning back towards the long ways where the runner took off to. The distance between here and there was a long distance for anyone to swallow, enough for even the reclusive woman to feel guilty for just leaving him to it. "I guess I could call o'er Snow-beauty if ya'd like. Give ya a ride o'er t'im." The offer proved a difficult one for Carrot to give to the stranger, but her mother taught the girl well enough to help where she could, even for someone she hardly knew. Ginger would be with her, and D'ran had Nagath constantly listening out for her. Sometimes it felt like Ministrith, Capriccioth and even Akoth were pressing in on her, lingering not far from herself.

They would never left Carrot out of their sights again. Both a boon and a curse.

"Let me call her o'er n' I'll get her tacked up 'gain." Then after helping him, maybe she would ride out somewhere else where she would not be bothered.
Kate

Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:22 am

A frown came briefly upon the young man's face as the young woman seemed to not want to give him her name. That was fine with him honestly. He could understand not being completely trusting of someone you had just met. Sometimes it took a while for him to warm up to people as well. So far the only one he hadn't had to warm up to was Ol'ver...well...and D'ran. The two of them had hit it off quiet well, which was surprising. Ol'ver and he had hit it off mostly because the then Weyrleader had literally saved A'ric's life when the candidates had been attacked by bandits. A'ric had managed to take them on, although it hadn't been long before they had gotten the better of him. The young man had almost been stabbed. Luckily Ol'ver had been there and had got the guy before he had a chance to critically injure A'ric.

He heard her offer, and quickly shook his head and said, "No no..it's alright...the walk might do me some good. Give me a chance to think about the stupid things that have happened today.." He really didn't want to make her stop what she was doing. He would be fine. The runner was bound to stop sometime right? A'ric was almost certain that by now the runner had stopped and was probably eating grass or something. Besides, that particular runner hadn't really seemed mean, so maybe once he calmed down a bit, he would come back. The blue eyed young man knew it was probably highly unlikely, but hey, the thought was nice.

He gave the red head a small smile and said, "Thanks for the offer, I really do appreciate it, but I messed up, and I wouldn't want to make you take time away from whatever it was you were doing to help me. I made the mess, I'll have to clean it up..somehow.." He spoke the truth. That was how he had been raised. If he screwed up, it was always his responsibility to fix it, unless it had been something he was incapable of fixing, obviously. He wanted to stay true to that, and he would, no matter what.
Shaihulud

Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:53 pm

"No no..it's alright...the walk might do me some good. Give me a chance to think about the stupid things that have happened today..."

"Like havin' ya runner bolt on ya?" Carrot attempted to bring at least a fragment of humour into the mess. Falling off a bolting runner could certainly sour a mood, though Carrot tried to practice the philosophy of looking at the brighter side of it all. While some would point an accusing finger at her sombre moods and tell her to practice her philosophy more often, the woman would quickly retort that she owed her life to her philosophy and that it gave her reason to still stand.

"Thanks for the offer, I really do appreciate it, but I messed up, and I wouldn't want to make you take time away from whatever it was you were doing to help me. I made the mess, I'll have to clean it up..somehow.."

"Sounds like ya's 'bout as stubborn as that runner o' ya's who just jilted ya." Shaking her head at the display of male pride, she gave a chuckle and sent Ginger off to go find Snow-beauty. Her mare never ran off far and Carrot trained her well enough to have her come back when called. "Don' worry, I ain' doin' much anyways. Just walkin' n' gettin' some fresh air. 'Sides, I like ridin' on Snow-beauty. She's fun n' sweet, n' always cheers me up when I ride 'er." Within moments the flash of white appeared over the hill crest just before the shore. The odd looking firelizard returned to Carrot, strapping her tail firm about Carrot's neck while the mare made her way down the slope to her rider. Snow-beauty might never be a dragon, but she was Carrot's runner. Reaching up, she stroked the runners neck and patted her shoulder before walking over to the pile of tack she slung over the rock. With ease attached the saddle upon the massive frame despite her own smaller figure, but then again, Carrot had plenty of practice over the Turns when working with her runner. "Ya e'er ridden a draft 'fore?"
Kate

Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:52 am

A'ric couldn't help but give the red head a small smile and even a light chuckle before saying, "Yes, something along those lines..." It felt good to be able to at least joke about it. He hadn't been seriously hurt, well, aside from his ego, which hadn't been hurt THAT bad since it wasn't exactly huge to begin with. The young bronze rider had to admit that he was pretty happy there had only been ONE person around to see his mishap. His ego probably would have taken an even bigger blow if there had been more people around to see it.

He was brought out of his thoughts by the sound of the young woman's voice. He chuckled a bit and said, "Alright, I guess I can be stubborn..I just...like fixing my own mistakes. If I have to ask people to help me, I always end up feeling indebted to them, even if they say it's not really a big deal." He knew that might sound stupid, but he really did hate having to have other people help him. He felt..useless. He was a bronze rider now, and besides that, any guy should be able to fix his own mistakes. Granted, if the person WANTED to help, he shouldn't feel like this, but he still did anyway.

As her runner (Snow-beauty had she called her?) came over, A'ric could not help but appreciate how gorgeous the runner was. Sure he had seen good looking runners before, but there was just something..special...about this one. He couldn't quiet place his finger on it. He watched as the red head tacked up with ease. Ease that he could probably never hope to accomplish, no matter how much he tried. He heard the question and shook his head a bit before saying, "No..I haven't actually. Is there that much difference between a draft runner and a regular runner? Besides the obvious fact that one is bigger?" He was trying not to sound stupid. He didn't "know" runners. He just knew some of the basics. The basics which were usually enough to let him ride them, except today it seemed like.
Shaihulud

Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:59 am

Gentlemen really could be wilful, or at least Carrot gained that much of an impression through the duration of her life. Names like R'vir and D'ran popped into her thoughts, as well as Adonis, though Unna worked pretty hard on that man to calm him down over the Turns.

"Alright, I guess I can be stubborn..I just...like fixing my own mistakes. If I have to ask people to help me, I always end up feeling indebted to them, even if they say it's not really a big deal."

That was better. At least he admitted to it now. "Like bein' indebted t'me so bad. Don' worry, I ain' gonna ask ya f'anythin'... just migh' tease ya here n' there for it's all... A'ric..." Carrot meant nothing by it, though she did show a smile for it. It seemed for the first time in weeks she found her distraction from the harsh realities of life. With a smirk given to the sweet man, Carrot went back to tugging at the tack, assuring herself that it strapped secure about the beast. With the reigns placed and the bit in the runner's mouth, she swung onto the ivory back with ease and walked the runner over to A'ric.

"They's bigger, kinda like ridin' on a dragon neck... like a big brown o' a bronze-" or at least that was how she remembered it when she flew home on Nagath. "N' ya don' bounce like ya do on one o' em hot bloods." A hand lowered down in offer to help him up. "Ya's ridden on that dragon o' ya's righ'? a bronze?" A smile followed the hand. "I 'member ya from 'fore, when ya Impressed. Ya's in D'ran class, righ'?" Carrot swore she remembered his face from that.
Kate

Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:36 am

A'ric frowned a bit, but found that he was glad she hadn't taken offense to the comment about being indebted to her. He hadn't really meant anything by it. He just didn't like owing people...anyone really. It just..didn't feel right to him for some reason. He also didn't really like the opposite either. Having people indebted to him. He felt no obligation to help people, so when he did, it was with the understanding that they owed him nothing. Usually they repaid him with a drink or something like that, which was fine. If they felt they had to do more though, he found that he was slightly uncomfortable. He didn't like people feeling like they owed him. He was just a nice guy, that's all there was to it. There was no other angle. Thank Farnath most people knew that.

A'ric couldn't help but smile a bit as he listened to her. She had said his name, but he still did not know hers. He decided that it didn't matter though. He wasn't one to push. He was sure she would tell him her name when she was good and ready. He chuckled a bit and said, "Fine fine you win. Being indebted to you probably won't be the worst thing that ever happened to me." He said it teasingly of course. It wouldn't be bad at all, especially since he highly doubted anyone that heard her teasing probably wouldn't know what it was about anyway. Or well, not have a full idea at least.

He listened intently as she explained about riding the draft. He nodded a bit and said, "Yes, I Impressed a bronze, Behemoth." He smiled as he thought about his dragon. Even after all of this, he was still in shock that he had Impressed a bronze. He nodded and said, "D'ran and I are actually close friends..er...maybe not close..but, we're certainly friends. Nagath seems to be the only one who is any good at dealing with Behemoth's attitude.." He took her hand and swung up behind her and said, "Thanks again for helping me.."