In The Name of Profit ~ Tag: Rhaissing/LdyPayne

Despite being new, this dining hall is very similar to the one back at old Atricis, giving a familiarity to the new Weyr. It is one large, central cavern carved out from the side of the cliff with many tables of varying sizes and seat numbers. The kitchens are attached, and there is a set of stairs leading down into the lower caverns.
Parker
Site Admin
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him
Tag Status: Open Permission Needed

Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:13 pm

Winter 2050

Ferghas was sitting at his favorite spot at the bar as he enjoyed a glass of finer cognac and a few little dark chocolate treats. In front of him on the bar was a well-loved and well-worn leather bound journal. The sheets of paper on the inside were some of the newest sorts of paper that a person could get, so there was no question that it was a rather expensive item. Expensive was what Ferghas liked, however. The more expensive the better. That was his view on life, anyways. Some would call it sad...he called it practical.

Currently, the wherhandler was writing down the numbers his "merchants" had provided him on how well they had done over the last three months. Surprisingly, these merchants were straight-laced, law-abiding citizens that only sold legal things. Well, at least on the surface and for all intents and purposes that was the case. They bought most of their material goods from Ferghas who sold it to them at well below market value...then they would pay him so much every three months from the profit they made from such sales. For them it was a don't ask, don't tell situation. They didn't want to know how Ferghas could sell them items for so cheap. It was better to simply be 'ignorant' about it.

Being the successful crime lord that he was, though, he also had quite a bit of dealings that were more on the shady side of things. In those circles he was known for being the man to go to if you were in search of something not so legal. Those things could be from large quantity of fellis to rare animal parts that some considered could be used to make a person stronger, more intelligent, more virile. According to his numbers...all of his businesses were doing very well. That made him a very happy camper.
ImageImageImageImage
Zaynallen | C'sian | Sid'nis | Locke
ImageImageImageImageImage
Najden | Kisle'vis | Corbin | Calivander | Olyver

.::..::..::..::..::..
LdyPayne
Tag Status:

Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:54 pm

His time at the Weyr had taught Rhaissing plenty. The very fact he came in as a Walled Hold refugee enabled him to move about and gain certain advantages. These people at New Atricis were more than eager to 'help out' a struggling refugee, whether it was giving him all kinds of information about the basic going ons in the Weyr to who the key people were and general activities. His personal observations also added to his knowledge to the point he felt he could move about the Weyr without drawing attention and start taking steps to putting his plans in motion.

One bit of information he learned was the names of most of the Day and Night Wherhandlers. There weren't that many of them compared to dragonriders and other Weyrfolk so it wasn't difficult to learn who's who among the Handlers. Not that he could identify each one when they weren't with their Whers but one name had stuck out from all the others.

There were times his people acquired merchandise they didn't have any real use for so finding a way to sell it or trade it for items they did need was one of the many things he had helped with. Ferghas was one such person he knew of who would help take such unwanted items off his hands, even though he hadn't dealt with him for several Turns now. Learning he was a Wherhandler explained why he wasn't in his usual haunts as often as he had been in the past. It did make Rhaissing wonder if the man was still in the business or turned completely.

Tonight he had spotted the man enter the bar and followed but kept his distance, taking a seat at another table. He watched the man write on what looked like paper instead of hide, something Rhaissing rarely had seen himself, much less used. Paper wasn't as useful to Rogues especially when it was hard to keep it dry in the humid caves the Rogues tended to hide out in. Then again they weren't big on keeping written records anyway. Other things he noticed was the chocolate sweets and the fact the bar tender poured drinks from a bottle of clearly superior alcohol compared to others who drank here. Ferghas certainly wasn't poor and from what Rhaissing had learned about Wherhandlers, buying expensive drinks and sweets wasn't typically within the means of Wherhandlers, other than their leaders. Even then it seemed not what most would spend their Marks on. It was enough to make Rhaissing suspect Ferghas was still active in the criminal world, or at least living off the profits of his past.

Finishing the ale he had been nursing, Rhaissing rose and strolled over to Ferghas's table. He had never officially met Ferghas before, the last few times he had met the man his father had done most of the dealings. Rhaissing had hung in the background, several Sevendays worth of beard covering his face. He was clean shaven now so he doubted Ferhas would recognize him, at least not right away.

"If you're not busy, I would like a moment of your time," Rhaissing said, gesturing slightly towards the papers Ferghas was working on. He kept his eyes on Ferghas, not wanting to appear he was trying to see what the man was writing on the papers.
Parker
Site Admin

Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:17 am

"If you're not busy, I would like a moment of your time,"

Ferghas was not the happiest being interrupted while eternally being giddy over his profits, but he was polite enough to not let that show. After all, the mark of a good businessman was an open and friendly demeanor. He saved his ire and irritation to those that truly deserved to see his not-so-nice side. Thanks to the fact that he had dealings with so many people he didn't recognize this young man, so he greeted him with a smile and gestured to the stool next to him.

"I always have time for new faces, please..." Ferghas stated and waited until the man took a seat. In the meantime, he gestured to the barkeep who brought another glass and set it in front of Rhaissing. "The name's Ferghas, but I suspect that is information you already have," he says in a no-nonsense sort of way. He closed the journal and pushed it aside so he could give the man his full attention. Then, he poured some of his fine cognac into the man's glass.

"To whom do I have the pleasure of speaking with?" Ferghas asked and slid his little plate of chocolates in between them to share. Yes, he enjoyed the finer things in life but he wasn't stingy with them.
ImageImageImageImage

LdyPayne
Tag Status:

Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:58 pm

With the invitation to join him given Rhaissing took a seat. As he did so he considered whether he should reveal they had crossed paths before or go with the new faces. It was only a brief consideration but it more than killed time while Ferghas called for another glass. One thing Rhaissing wouldn't do was refuse the good stuff from anybody he didn't suspect would be aiming to poison him.

"I did know the name but always good to have it confirmed," he responded, his tone neutral. He waited till the wench left the glass and Ferghas filled it. Taking a sip of the smooth drink he enjoyed the taste and the warmth coursing through his body as the rolled down his throat with barely a burn. All signs of a well made cognac. "Very nice, good to know this place carries such fine stock."

"My name isn't important, you wouldn't recognize it anyway however you came highly recommended by a good friend of mine." He paused to pop a chocolate in his mouth and savor it. Humming softly as he chewed he waited till he enjoyed ever moment of the treat before getting back to business. "I'm known as Rhaissing here and I heard you are definitely the person to come to if one needed something otherwise very hard to find."
Parker
Site Admin

Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:52 pm

Ferghas took another sip of the smooth, warm liquid he always found to be just as amazing as the last time he drank it. This wasn't his finest bottle of alcohol either. That one he only ever cracked open for celebration purposes. Ferghas was never sure whether or not to be happy or irritated that people knew who he was. On one hand, he rather liked the notoriety and on the other, he'd rather not be so well known to make doing his business harder. "Oh no, darling. This place does not carry such fine stock. It is thanks to yours truly that there are any fine bottles of alcohol here. What can I say? I have certain standards I don't like wavering from."

"On the contrary, my new friend. Names are very important. It is amazing what simply knowing a name can get you in this life," Ferghas was a powerful man, but not because he forced people to listen to him or do what he said. He was powerful because of the knowledge he had. Yes, he traded in goods in order to live the life of luxury he did, but it was the knowledge he had that was the most priceless.

Ferghas's eyes narrowed on the lad curiously as he tipped his head back a little. "Well Rhiassing, this is your lucky day. I've been known to procure the occasional rare item from time to time. What exactly is it you're looking for?"
ImageImageImageImage