Checking In [Tag: Syra/Saerle]

The Crafter Complex is a series of buildings that contain craft halls and rooms for the crafters of New Atricis to work. There is a single dorm building for apprentices, while journeyman and masters live in second floor rooms in their respective crafts. Off to the side from the complex is the largest building, the Infirmary, where everyone in the Weyr receives Healer attention and desk workers keep track of who comes and goes at the entrance to the Infirmary.
Marvealle
Site Admin
Title: Foxy Prince
Pronouns: Any
Tag Status: Open

Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:34 pm

Teagen had been living in the Crafter Complex for several sevendays now. Not that she had been counting the days since coming here. The loss of her dragon still felt like it had happened only a day or so ago, but... it was admittedly a little less now. Likely, though, that was because Teagen was able to work instead of sitting and moping and thinking. She found her hands returned to leatherworking easily, and her hardworking nature kicked in and allowed her to fall into the work from day to day. She even learned some Northern leather techniques and stitches, and taught a few others some Southern techniques she had learned over the turns.

Teagen could have perhaps found herself settling in at the Weyr as a tanner completely comfortably one day. Right now, she still saw it as temporary, prepared for her life to be upheaved again by something. That's what her life had been for the past few turns now, and perhaps considering everything, it was a sort of strength that Teagen hadn't decided to go between with the unnamed white hatchling that had died in her lap. Though her time as a dragon candidate was over, by her own choice in the end, it seemed she wasn't going to give up her life despite all she had endured so far.

However, Teagen didn't spend a lot of time in those sevendays outside of the Crafter Complex. She mostly worked once she found a schedule and a flow, taking care of orders, helping to prepare hide for tanning, and other such work. When her skill as a tanner was really noticed, having been trained since a young age by a family dedicated to tanning, Teagen was given less of the apprentice-like work and helped more with the general orders that were always coming in and needing to be completed for the small Tannercrafthall in the Weyr.

Teagen, today though, was sent out of the hall, one of the other tanners convincing her to go out for a bit, disguising it as work by giving her something to deliver on behalf of the hall. She tried to push it off, but when requested again, she gave in, cleaning up enough so she didn't look completely slovenly, and taking the package needing to be delivered. It was just as she stepped outside, a dragon flew overhead, catching her eyes. Looking up she saw a dark blue beast, one very familiar as for a moment she was brought back to the memory of the day of the hatching.

She watched Rasenth in the air silently for a moment, before shrugging it off and walking down one of the paths of the complex, the package needing to be delivered tucked under an arm.
~..:: Character Tracker & Plotter | Marks Tracker ::..~
Image ~..:: Dragonfolk ::..~ Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ~..:: Wherfolk & Dayfolk ::..~ Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image ~..:: Pearlfolk & Weyrfolk ::..~ Image
Image Image Image Image
Note to Everyone: I'm often open to chat and plot with! You can find me on Discord under Marvealle#5611
Site Avatar art by Naomi Lord
Saerle
Title: Laureate
Pronouns: She/Her

Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:31 am

Syra had come to the Crafter Complex to visit Teagan and, yes she admitted it, had been watching unseen by the young woman as she worked. Rasenth was overhead, reveling in the cooler, but still sunny, Winter air. Even more amusing was that she had planned this day out. She'd commissioned a simple tool apron, seeing the career change for Teagan, and it was that day that it was being delivered. She'd planned to be elsewhere when it happened but the person who had made it for her had spotted her, causing Syra to explain her plan to help Teagan and support her when needed.

And there she was, catching Rasenth above them in the skies and watching for a moment. When Teagan almost passed her without seeing her, Syra cleared her throat and stepped into better view. "Teagan..." she started, not really knowing what to say. She could tell how Teagan had been, how she was, just by looking at her and opening her mind. "Come take a break with me?"
Last edited by Saerle on Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.::Marks Tracking :: Characters, Recurring NPCs & Available Family Tracker :: Candidate Questionnaires::.
Italic speech from dragon or human is telepathic, unstyled text is heard by anyone nearby for my characters.
Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage

Marvealle
Site Admin

Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:36 pm

"Teagen..."

She'd likely never be able to forget the sound of that voice, almost as much as she would always remember the last and only words her lost dragon had spoken to her. The sound of that voice made her pause, stopping her steps and processing it for a moment, remembering that day again and the rider of the blue she had noted just moments ago. So it wasn't a coincidence that the dark blue had been overhead. Teagen looked over to see Syra standing there. At her question, Teagen raised a brow with a little bit of curiosity at the request, but then shrugged the arm that held the item she was delivering.

"I gotta drop this off," she answered simply, not really sure if she was saying no. She then shrugged her shoulders, looking down a bit away from Syra as she remembered the woman's kindness, and support. Teagen cleared her throat.

"I guess you can walk with me though."
Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Note to Everyone: I'm often open to chat and plot with! You can find me on Discord under Marvealle#5611
Saerle

Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:37 pm

Gently Syra reached for the package and took it, "There, it's delivered now." her heart ached, remembering the day they had said goodbye to Teagan's little white. There was nothing she could say that would make it better, and trying felt like an insult. Instead she nodded toward an open space where they could sit an talk in the cool winter air.

Syra sat first, gesturing to a dry spot beside her as she just sat for a moment. Finally she handed the package back to Teagan. "This is for you. I see you've taken up a Craft. I'm proud of you." Rasenth settled himself nearby the pair, turning his head to watch them both. The bluerider had given him permission to tell Teagan about her empathy and he had... but Syra wondered if the young woman would ask about it now that they were alone and some time had passed since that painful day.

Taking up a Craft was hard enough of a career change, but for Teagan to do so in the wake of such a loss... it spoke wonders to her strength of will. Syra hadn't slept well since that day, the nightmares of losing Rasenth kept waking her to sleep in his couch with him, wrapped in furs against the winter cold. Even at that moment the woman was attempting to will away a headache that seemed determined to turn into a migraine.

"I would ask how you've been but... instead I think I'll ask how best I can support you right now." Syra said, turning to give Teagan a small smile of understanding.
.::Marks Tracking :: Characters, Recurring NPCs & Available Family Tracker :: Candidate Questionnaires::.
Italic speech from dragon or human is telepathic, unstyled text is heard by anyone nearby for my characters.

Marvealle
Site Admin

Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:25 am

Teagen was a bit surprised when Syra took the package, stating it was then delivered, she even glanced down at it to check, and saw, of course, Syra's name attached to it for delivery purposes. Of course, she thought, realizing she should have checked that sooner than just now. She was still a little scatterbrained sometimes, easily forgetting to do small things like that when she wasn't full focusing on tanning work. Well, at least the errand was done easily then, she thought, but then Syra tilted her head, indicating a space to go and sit. Teagen glanced back at the still nearby Hall, then shrugged, and went to sit with Syra. She couldn't bring herself to be rude and just walk off, not after the kindness she'd been shown by this woman before. It also just wasn't in Teagen's nature to be like that.

Again Teagen's face adopted a slightly surprised expression when the package was handed back to her. She held it in her lap for a moment, looking down at it as Syra explained. Then Teagen put the pieces together.

"Ah, that explains why they wanted me to deliver it so much," she admitted as it dawned on her, though to Syra's expression of pride, Teagen turned sheepish, shrinking away from the praise a little.

"I'm just continuing what I was already trained for by my family," Teagen explained, running a finger over an edge of the package a bit nervously. She could have said a lot, that she did it because she didn't want to return to the dragon candidate barracks, and she admittedly wondered if Syra knew about Teagen's mental breakdown that landed her in the infirmary for a bit. Possibly, but she didn't want to detail that out right now either. But Syra's next words were appreciated, an honest sentiment, understanding, and perhaps more caring than most people knew how to be. Not that it was others' fault for not knowing how to handle someone else's grief. Still, Teagen looked at the parcel in her lap rather than at Syra or Rasenth nearby.

"I don't really know," she admitted. "I'm just... trying to get through each day. I'm not very good at thinking about the future without..." she trailed off, her throat clenching for a moment as if just talking about the potential of a future was crushing for her. "I don't expect anyone else to really understand, or to inconvenience themselves to help me either." She finally glanced at Syra for a moment.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Saerle

Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:47 am

Syra nodded, just being there and listening. Teagan didn't need people telling her how to get over her grief... whether she knew it or not, she needed people to support her and let her mourn in her own way. If that was by taking tanning (a rather smelly task, if Syra had any say so) then so be. Syra would help provide what she needed to do her tasks. Thus, the apron she could call her own. "Do you enjoy the Craft, then? Or did you only take it up because of your family training you?" she asked, giving a little sniff of the not-so-elegant smell of the tanning area. Syra was about to say more when Rasenth chimed in, seeming to break his own nature to speak with Teagan further.

It is hardly an inconvenience for us to be here for you where your family is not able. We care about you, Teagan. Rasenth informed their companion, surprising his rider with naming the woman so personally. Syra cleared her throat, nodding in agreement.

"He's right, and he also rarely names a person besides me... he prefers to find an image of them in my head instead." she went on, her eyes trailing to the package with understanding of why it wasn't opened yet. Syra understood and wasn't offended. "I'm... not so great at giving gifts. Those that I do give tend to be... practical. When I heard that you'd... taken a Craft I found out which one and had that made for you. I think your fellow Crafters are a little proud of their handiwork judging by their reactions to why I wanted it." she said, shaking her head.

Your future, for now, may be a hard one... but I know that any dragon who was leaving their rider... would hope that their rider was able to remember them with happiness and live a full life. Even if it takes some time to feel "right" about doing that. Your dragon chose you, and in those moments of life, loved you. Rasenth put in, hoping to share his own kind words. Really, they were words Syra had told him about loss but hadn't thought of saying to Teagan. They were kind, and cruel at the same time. They were hope, and pain. They were sadness and accepting. And there was nothing more that Syra could add to that from her dragon.

"There are... not many who would understand. So few who lose their dragon stick around. I knew there was a chance that you would dismount Rasenth between and go with your dragon... it's something I've been around for before. I don't think the shorter or longer period of time with a dragon makes the loss any easier either. No one would have blamed you if you did but... Your strength to keep going inspires me. I hope that my own daughter is as strong as you one day." Syra told her, thinking of Merinna and how she had witnessed horrific events on the Hatching Ground but somehow appeared unaffected. She shook her head. "Maybe if I was as strong as you I would be able to tell my daughter that I'm not just her Aunty."

She cleared her through again, feeling awkward as she looked around them for anyone too close by. "Do you remember what Rasenth told you that night? About me and my.... empathy?" she whispered the last part, not wanting the world to know that she was a glorified emotional eavesdropper. "I understand, because I experienced it with you. All of it... and a lot of what you've been through since. So I know.... how hard it's been and how much you are getting through." She knew about the breakdown, too, but she wasn't about to say anything about that. Knowing that had been an accident when she had gone to refill her stash of dilute fellis for her migraines. Teagan had enough on her plate without knowing Syra had seen her at the Infirmary too.

Marvealle
Site Admin

Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:16 am

At the question about enjoying the craft or not, Teagen thought for a moment, questioning it perhaps for the first time ever. Did she really like tanning? Or had she always just done it because that was what the women in her family did? She shrugged.

"I started learning since I was young, just seemed natural to come back to it after quitting candidacy again." Yes, again, she realized. She quit again, but though the first time had been at Walled after Phoenith's unexpected death, and the second time here under completely different circumstances, in her mind, all she realized was she had quit Dragon Candidacy twice. What would her mother have thought? What had her mother thought when she'd quit the first time? Would she be disappointed in her now? Or would she pity her? There was no way to know that though, not ever. For a moment Teagen was overtaken by the feeling of loneliness in the world, her family gone, her dragon gone... did she really have anything left? Then Rasenth spoke to her directly, a bit of a surprise to her, taking her out of her dark thoughts for a moment to listen to him.

When Syra spoke to echo her dragon's words, Teagen looked more at her now, watching the woman a moment in thought. She wondered why though, they didn't really know each other well, though then again, Syra had been there and helped her through a heartbreaking moment... and perhaps... it had something to do with what Rasenth had hinted at to her that day. Something that Teagen vaguely remembered between the memories of grief and loss that were still just a little too fresh. However, when Syra mentioned gift giving, Teagen really realized she hadn't opened the gift, and how rude that probably was, wincing guiltily at her forgetfulness of manners.

She only had so much time to focus on that though, as the conversation moved, to Teagen's own difficulty with thoughts of the future, and Rasenth speaking again to her, encouraging her in a way, even as he stung her emotionally speaking of her dragon and how they only lived briefly. However brief though, they had loved her, and she had loved them though never knowing their name. And yes, Teagen had considered, for a moment, going between as well. She'd heard of it happening, but before Syra had even taken her onto Rasenth, something in her had decided just to let the unnamed dragonet go to rest in peace without her. She couldn't say why that was, just that... she wasn't done yet... perhaps.

"Do you remember what Rasenth told you that night? About me and my.... empathy?" she whispered the last part, not wanting the world to know that she was a glorified emotional eavesdropper. "I understand, because I experienced it with you. All of it... and a lot of what you've been through since. So I know.... how hard it's been and how much you are getting through."

Teagen looked at Syra again, looking a bit surprised, but mostly because it all clicked in that moment. That was what Rasenth had hinted at to her that day, and Syra herself, but Teagen had been too caught up in her own grief to really process it, even afterwards. But now it all seemed glaringly obvious. Some didn't necessarily believe such abilities in humans could exist, but... there were H.A.D.s after all, and really how much different was that from possibly feeling the emotions of others? It was rare, believed made up by some, but Teagen had a tendency to believe in things. Again though, after a moment she looked back down clutching the still unopened package tight.

"You... felt all that? Shardit, I'm so sorry," was all Teagen could say at first as her eyes stung with tears. "I wouldn't wish that feeling on anyone. Shards, and you still have your dragon... I'm just... a reminder of what it would be like if you lost Rasenth. How can you stand being around me with that much suffering?" She curled in on herself a little bit, closing herself off physically with her body language.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image