It Seems To Be ~ [ tag ] Lerina / LdyPayne

Despite being new, this dining hall is very similar to the one back at old Atricis, giving a familiarity to the new Weyr. It is one large, central cavern carved out from the side of the cliff with many tables of varying sizes and seat numbers. The kitchens are attached, and there is a set of stairs leading down into the lower caverns.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them
Tag Status: Open but Permission Needed for certain situations.

Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:10 pm

It had been a good, rigorous practice, and T'rav was feeling it deep in his body. He'd taken the time to relax after, bathing and changing into clean clothes, and while he could have napped or taken the time to enjoy a meal on his own, he'd decided he wanted to have something in the dining hall, perhaps catch up with some of his Wingmates. It wasn't his turn in the barracks, and he didn't have lessons with the weyrlings later on, so he could have some time to himself, and unless an emergency came up he knew he wouldn't be needed in that area of things.

He walked to the dining hall, and once there, looked around to see who from the Wing was available. He spotted a few, scattered among the tables, but there was one in particular that captured his attention - the new Wingsecond Lerina. He hadn't had the chance to properly welcome her or give her his congratulations up close, so why not grab a tray and approach, see if she'd be willing for a chat for a little while? It wouldn't hurt, and if she really wanted to be by herself while she ate, he could always bugger off.

Grabbing his things, a bowl of stew, some cheese and bread, a couple pieces of fruit and some klah, he made his way back to the tables and in particular, the one the femme brownrider had been seated at. When he reached it, he didn't settle down at it just yet, but instead bowed his head and made sure she knew he was stood there. While he was her senior by a number of Turns, so he guessed, he was still polite and used her rank when he addressed her. "Pardon me, Wingsecond, ma'am. Mind if I join you?"

@LdyPayne

Image x8
counted
Dragonfolk
Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Wherfolk, Dayfolk, & Pearlfolk
Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Crafters, Weyrfolk, & Others
Image Image Image
I can be found on Discord @ Ember#8349 ~ feel free to drop be a message even if I'm on DND.
LdyPayne
Tag Status:

Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:26 pm

Her new duties as a Wingsecond kept Lerina busy but she loved every minute of it. For the first time in her life she was in a leadership position and she relished it. Lerina wasn't the type to be arrogant and flaunt her newly gained Rank, instead she focused on making White Dawn as cohesive and efficient as possible. As Miral made most of the command decisions it was part of Lerina's job to ensure she was kept informed of the welbeing of each member of the Wing. This included who was injured, how badly, when a return to the Wing was expected, whether it was the rider or the dragon who was injured or both. Threadscore wasn't the only impairments she had to keep track of. Physical exhaustion, stress or anything else that might affect the performance of the Wingrider were also included. Then there was all the paperwork, performance reviews, keeping track of who wished what day off, suggesting the Sweep Patrol compliment and schedule, ensuring all riders were aware of new formation changes and whatever other tasks Miral wished of her.

Another task was taking the time to get to know each rider, especially those she had ever met before so they could learn to trust her just as much as she needed to trust them. It was an ongoing project and one she rather enjoyed. Lerina never had a problem with meeting new people and making friends, especially with those who were accepting of her being a brownrider. Being a Wingsecond over those who had Turns more experience did present potential issues but so far she hadn't had any difficulties.

When one of her Wingriders approached her at lunch and asked if he could join her Lerina didn't mind the company at all. In fact she had meant to get a chance to talk with the older bluerider and get to know him. There was something vaguely familiar about the man but she couldn't put her finger on it. In the end she just assumed she had seen him around before and that was why he seemed familiar.

"Please do, I could use the company," Lerina responded, gesturing to the empty seat before her. "I've been meaning to have a chat with you. It's T'rav correct?"

@Ember

Ember

Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:29 am

He smiled and tipped his head in confirmation, though as he slid into his seat across from her, he made sure to do so verbally as well. "That it is, ma'am. Of blue Marileth. He's of Atrician origin, though I'm a Bendenite." He didn't know where she hailed from, but figured sharing a little about himself and his dragon wouldn't hurt. "I wanted to come and take the time to congratulate you on your promotion. I never got the chance to when it was first announced and you were brought on board. Thought "better late than never" and I hope that applies in this case."

She was young, he noted, but he'd known young leaders around her age before and so long as she did the work, was efficient and considerate of her riders, he had complaints. The fact that the Wing's new second was a woman was no issue for him, nor that she was a female brownrider. He'd been raised better than that for one, and for two, it would be unbecoming of him considering his father's position on such riders. (Unbeknownst to him at the time, they were more connected than either realized.) "How are you finding things in the Wing so far, ma'am, if you don't mind me asking?"

@LdyPayne
Dragonfolk

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image
I can be found on Discord @ Ember#8349 ~ feel free to drop be a message even if I'm on DND.
LdyPayne
Tag Status:

Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:49 pm

"Thank you T'rav," Lerina replied. It felt good to be complimented on her promotion but more hearing the sincerity behind T'rav's words. Unless he was very good at hiding it Lerina didn't get the impression he resented her for being his superior for any reason. This was good as it certainly made things far easier. She wouldn't put up with it for one thing, not here especially. "I come from the North as well, several Turns ago now. We are from Igen originally but I left not long after graduating, I'm sure you can guess why."

Lerina definitely didn't want to talk about why she left but if T'rav was from Benden she was certain he would know how conservative Igen was and understand why. Igen didn't tolerate anything different from what they considered the 'norm'. Women on golds, rarely on greens and anything else was just an abomination. At least her family supported her when most senior riders did not. Not that she regretted leaving, especially since her family was here now.

"I'm very impressed with White Dawn's compliment of riders so far," Lerina responded. "You are all hard working and very skilled. I've been slowly getting to know each and everyone of White Dawn's riders and look forward to learning more about you. One thing I want to establish is a comfortable and trusting relationship with my Wingmates, I want you to feel comfortable coming to me about any questions or concerns and being honest with me."

"One important thing, you can dispense with the 'ma'am' and just call me Lerina. Respect is something earned and not just because of one's title and in all honesty I haven't been Wingsecond all that long, I still have plenty to learn to lead properly. Besides, titles do tend to put a barrior between people and what I want is to establish a comfortable relationship. Besides, the only real difference between a Wingrider and their Wingsecond is a Wingsecond has far more paperwork to do."
Ember

Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:51 pm

He grimaced at what she said about where she was from. He knew what Igen had been like, though most of that had been second hand and from his Dad. He nodded, not wanting her to think he was ignoring what she said, or not sympathetic to her original ordeal - that couldn't have been further from the truth. "Well, its good you got out while you could. They never deserved you anyway. You're better off at Atricis, where you can properly be appreciated as the skilled rider you obviously are."

He wasn't trying to kiss up, or gain favor. He meant it, was sincere. If he wanted to try and do any of that, he would find a way to do so. "Thank you for that, ma'am. We're glad to have you on board, so you know. I'm pretty new to the Wing," and maybe he shouldn't be trying to talk for everyone, but... "I've heard nothing but good things about you so far." And that was the truth - if anyone had something bad to say about her, he hadn't heard it. If the feelings were false, which was possible, he hadn't gotten that impression.

A chuckle left him at her words and he nodded, deciding she was right. "Aye, Lerina. I'll keep that in mind. I remember the days when I had paperwork to do. I used to be Benden's Weyrlingmaster, so I can remember those days rather clearly. There are days when I miss it, truth be told." It was the truth, he liked being busy, keeping busy, having work to do; he figured it had something to do with being his father's son. "But I'll keep that in mind - no calling you ma'am from me."

@LdyPayne
Dragonfolk

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image
LdyPayne
Tag Status:

Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:07 pm

It was good to get past the topic of her origins, though not everything of her past was hard to remember. She had a good life, a loving family and a father who spent as much time as he could spare, it only became difficult after he was forced to step down as Weyrleader and exiled. Even then she didn't face the worse till after Impressing Issormoth. As it was she was happy to be here and there was nothing to stop her from being whatever she wanted to be. In fact Weyrleadership was a possibility, as much as for anybody who rode a brown.

"I'm glad you are dropping the Ma'an, best to leave that for more official formal occaisions instead of a getting to know you meal together." Lerina was as formal as anybody could be but she didn't need nor want every social activity she was part of to seem like something official. Besides she did want her fellow wingmates to feel comfortable with her and improve working relationships without any stiffness.

"Being a Weyrlingmaster must have been quite rewarding, teaching the next generation of dragonriders," Lerina hated her Weyrlingmaster mostly due to how they treated her for being a woman on a brown. One of the first things she checked out was how Weyrlings were taught in New Atricis so she could compare what she learned, being worried she was not instructed properly and to make sure she hadn't forgotten anything given she hadn't been a proper dragonrider for awhile before fleeing South. "One of my half brothers is a Candidatemaster, not quite the same thing as training Weyrlings but still quite important. Not everybody Searched is truly prepared for what life is like for a dragonrider."

There was plenty of romanticizing of dragonriders, the ultimate freedom, being able to go anywhere on Pern in the blink of an eye. Not to mention being bonded mind and soul to another intelligent being for the rest of your life, never being truly alone and having unconditional love. Lerina never regretted being Impressed to Issormoth and would go through the same hardship she endured at Igen again a million times over than ever trade Issormoth for any other dragon, even a gold.

"Threadfighting has it's own rewards too, I definitely like the challenge even if there is always a constant risk of injury to me or Issormoth each time we rise to fight Thread." Lerina felt fighting Thread was a small price to pay to be with Issormoth and she certainly won't deny she felt a thrill of excitement every time Issormoth flamed, destroying Thread and seeing the harmless ash falling to the ground far below. Dragonriding was thrilling and dangerous and she was ready to do it every time Thread was due to fall.
Ember

Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:59 am

"Well, I try and be formal and pleasant when it calls for it. I simply didn't want to insult you and wait for you to tell me to call you something different." He smiled and tilted his head. "Though I should thank you for the pleasantry in allowing me to call you by your name so early in knowing you. Not too many leaders would allow one of their riders to do that, though I suppose that's not always the case. I rather like those that take the initiative to drop the formalities when they can. If you don't mind me saying so." He didn't want to cause offense, and was simply trying to say that he found he rather liked it - it made it more comfortable and less official in her presence.

He nodded at her comment about being the Weyrlingmaster. "It was, and I miss it sometimes, the busy-ness of it all, the training, meeting the new riders, directing them and the like." He lifted a brow at her next comment though, and found it to be quite the coincidence that she had a brother like that. "Hm, I have a half-brother that's an Assistant Candidatemaster as well." Coincidence yes, but nothing suspicious, he reminded himself; lots of riders were in the training field. "A nice happenstance that we have a similar circumstance among a similar sibling, is it not?"

"Aye, there's always that risk, but I find they enjoy the challenges almost as much as we do, if not more so at times." He chucked softly, thinking about the times Marileth demanded to return to the Wings after injury, or when he was more antsy to get into formation than his own rider. It wasn't his normal personality, but it did happen from time to time. "How long have you and your boy been together, speaking of?"
Dragonfolk

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image
LdyPayne
Tag Status:

Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:04 pm

"Some in leadership positions can be very hard nosed about always being addressed as superiors," Lerina agreed. She had known plenty back in Igen. It did make her wonder however while T'rav was going on about how much a privilage she gave by giving him permission to drop the formalities when they were just having a get to know you meal. None of the leaders of New Atricis were hard nosed about it, at least none that she personally met.

Lerina looked up from sipping her drink when T'rav mentioned he had a half-brother who was a Candidatemaster here as well. There were such a thing as coincidences but there weren't that many Candidatemasters and there was the fact T'rav came here from Benden and she knew she had relatives there even if she never met them. Still, plenty of riders likely Transferred from places she had relatives, her father had a large family and it wouldn't be the first time she learned of a new half brother now in New Atricis. Only thing is she never heard of any T'rav in her family tree but that didn't mean it wasn't possible. From what she recalled L'van hadn't even known about K'rios at first.

She didn't mention anything about her thoughts, instead focusing on T'rav's experiences so she could mull over things. It gave her a chance to study T'rav's features, to see if she saw any of her father's in his.

"I've been with Issormoth for over 8 Turns now," Lerina responded. "A fine solid brown and as I'm sure any rider would say, I would never trade him for anything."

"Even though we talked about other things I just can't get the coincidence of us being related to Candidatemasters out of my head so I just going to ask and get it over with," Lerina took a breath then continued. "Is it K'rios who's your half brother?"

@Ember
Ember

Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:33 am

He nodded at her responses, and opened his mouth to speak, when what she asked him fully hit him. K'rios... Yup. They were related. He glanced at her to be certain, saw features of L'van in her now that he had the inkling back in full force and there was no denying the fact. He didn't think he was upset - if anything, he was honestly amused. Shaking his head, he reached for his mug and chuckled as it lifted towards his mouth. "Dad said once there was a sister at Igen, but I didn't know she'd Impressed a brown."

He took a drink, set his mug aside, and relaxed more than he'd been previously, as if knowing they were blood relations somehow gave him permission to be in such a state now. "I'm his eldest son, by the by. You probably know of me, but I changed my name prior to transferring here - I used to be T'van." Not even Dad had known of his decision to change names until after his transfer, which had been an amusing thing indeed, so it wouldn't surprise him if this turned out to be a case of her knowing T'van but not recognizing T'rav.
Dragonfolk

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image
LdyPayne
Tag Status:

Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:17 pm

Naming her half-brother clearly had a reaction in T'rav which confirmed her suspicions. It seemed when it came to potential relatives there weren't any coincidences. She chuckled and leaned back in her chair, puzzled she hadn't heard of T'rav's name at all, especially since he wasn't a young man.

When T'rav revealed his birth name Lerina immediately recognized it. She may not know all of her father's children by name she definitely knew the name of his first born son. Immediately she wondered why he changed his name and the first few reasons didn't sit well with her. Nothing she had heard about the man since she became Wingsecond of White Dawn hinted at anything nefarious but that didn't mean something hadn't happened back at Benden to explain the name change. Taking a sip of her drink she brushed aside the worse possible reasons for the name change and decided to give the man the benefit of the doubt. It didn't lessen her curiosity however.

"So you are my oldest brother," Lerina said, "Why the name change?"

@Ember