Light Show and Shadows [ Tag: Open! ]

The main, central area of the Weyr, since it's no longer a "bowl" like before, people have taken to calling it the courtyard, or more often, the Weyr Yard. Dragons land and take off here while people walk from building to building going along their daily duties.
Slasher

Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:32 pm

Time/Setting
About a sevenday before Turn's End, 2049
Warm, clear skies
Midnight-ish

Since arriving at Atricis Weyr, one of Kane's favorite past times was watching the star lizards fly around the Weyr Yard after it got dark. Not that it was always an impressive light show, sometimes it was only Boop's little bronze specks that the man could see, but it was still always enjoyable. All to the better even, when he managed to get there during his free time in between chores and lessons, and there really weren't many people around. Usually by that time, the dragon and daywher people had gone to bed, and the wher people were out on their duties. It was not a huge window of time, but it was generally enough to give the man and his starlizard a few quiet moments.

Turn's End was approaching, and honestly Kane was very glad he was where he was. Back with the group, there would have been a big job to deal with, and then a big party to celebrate it after, and mourn any dead. He...The man shook his head as he realized he really did not want to deal with all of that anymore. Boop seemed to sense a bit of his slight anxiety, and swooped down, chittering at him, ”Ya, I know, I should quit being mopey, right?” He grinned, and petted the little bronze starlizard as he wound around in Kane's lap.

The peace was calming, and the Wher Candidate basked in it. He knew he would have to get up soon, go start his chores, grab some food maybe even first. But for the moment, he would sit back in the grass at the edge of the Yard, and enjoy the warm air. Boop shifted slightly, then jumped back up into the air. But instead of heading back into the sky, the starlizard chittered and went for the tree line, setting off a bit of an alarm sound. Was something there? Or someone? Kane sat up, and peered in the direction Boop was alerting at.

OOC
At some point during this Thread, I am planning on Kane somehow finding a flitt egg(or his current 'lizard does, or something, we'll see what happens, lol). It may or may not hatch when he finds it, I'm not sure yet.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
~:Stories:~ ~:Monies:~ ~:Plotter:~
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:30 pm

Since the loss of much of her family, Amuderudalya found herself often plagued by insomnia. The nights became long, enough so for her to wander away from her home and into the kitchens until she was no longer needed. If after several hours of work, sleep continued to evade her, the baker resigned herself to a walk through the yards. Outside, with the fresh summer night air, Amuderudalya managed to distract herself from that which plagued her thoughts and drove her awake nearly every night. Rather than dwell on what she lost, walking in the weyr bowl gave her a sense of what she still had, and touched her with a hope that there was still something in her life worth living for.

She pulled the lace shawl tighter about her shoulders. Though not necessary in the slightest, Amuderudalya cherished the gift her friend Novandra gave her so recently. It offered her an unconscious comfort, one that she only became aware of when the crocheted wrapping went missing. Fingers played along the finely woven threads as bare feet slipped across the cool grass.

Behind her, she could hear the rustle of her fancy flit, Corquembouche padded after her. However, the little glow bugs that drifted over the grass constantly distracted the starburst. She would chase after them, snap at them, only to get lost before. With a peep of confusion, she glanced about, not knowing where to go as worried thoughts reached out to Amuderudalya.

With a soft smile, Amuderudalya waved the single glow she carried, so the 'lizard could return to her.

Croquembouche whistled excitedly before slipping to the skies to encircle her friend just above her head, and then back to the ground she returned, folding slender wings along her slender form as they continued their stroll through the weyr yards.

Yet they were not alone.

The faint light of her single glow was enough to illuminate a countenance up ahead. Soon, she felt the tickles of surprise and concern within her, enough to realise she had caught the individual off guard. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to startle you," she opened as she approached with gentle steps.
Slasher

Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:15 pm

Kane had found himself forgoing glows since coming to the Weyr, and he couldn't help but squint a bit as one came into view, carried by...someone. The voice that came from the shadow behind the light was female however, and Kane sat back a bit, relaxing. Not that a man would be deserving of more caution, but as sexist and cliché as it seemed, Kane had never felt any threat from a woman. Lifting a hand to shade the faint glare of the dim light, he spoke up, ”No worries, it's my own fault for sitting in the dark.” The bronze starlizard chittered and swooped down to whirl a bit around the woman and her fancy flitt in greeting.

”Don't mind Boop, he's got no real manners.” Kane stood then, stretching his back a bit as he bent to brush his legs off of whatever debris sitting on the ground had awarded him. Straightening back up, the man stepped further into the woman's area of light, ”It's rare to see anyone other than a handler out here at this time though. Can't sleep?” He casually pushed his hands into his pockets, tilting his head a bit at the woman. She felt quiet. Calm. It was nice to be around, and offered the man a bit of a change of pace. It wasn't often he came across someone who just felt soft in his head.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:22 pm

When he lifted his hand to guard his eyes from the obtrusive light, Amuderudalya made sure to guard it within the ball of her fist. It took a moment for her eyes to adjust to the faint light that still slipped through her fingers, but she managed to make out the man's face still.

”No worries, it's my own fault for sitting in the dark.”

It was for that fact alone that she wondered if he was one of the wherhandlers. She met quite a few of them at this hour, thus could not help but make the association. Briefly, it made her wonder about Ferghas, and felt the want to ask the man before her about her friend, but quickly realised that was a foolish thing for her to do. Just because this man might be a wherhandler did not mean he knew her friend.

Soon, the a light flickered about them, one that Amuderudalya commonly spotted during the night. A starlizard.

Croquembouche let out an amazed trill at the sight of the creature, as well as a chatter of welcome.

”Don't mind Boop, he's got no real manners.”

"He's fine," Amuderudalya replied with a faint smile. Pale eyes looked after the beast once more, and could not help but marvel at how handsome he was. It made her think about getting a starlizard of her own, though Croquembouche was more than enough of a handful for her.

”It's rare to see anyone other than a handler out here at this time though. Can't sleep?”

There was something... calm about him, refreshing for one such as herself, though she also noted a touch of thankfulness that she could not help but reciprocate. It was enough to make her smile broaden as made a glimpse towards the rest of the weyr yards, nothing the waterfall in the background. Even though it was dark, the cascading waters collected just enough light to appear like a tail of silver in the blackness of the night. Their roar, however, was ever present. "I... can't, so I tend to take walks when that happens. It's nice out here, though. Calming. And I like that." She regarded him with a sense of curiosity, and could not help but ask. "Are you a handler?" Part of her felt foolish for asking, though it was too difficult to discern the knots he wore when the light was not so readily available... at least not without blinding them both if she unshielded the glow in her grasp.

Slasher

Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:59 pm

The fact that the fancy flitt offered him a greeting back just tickled the starlizard to no end. He proceeded to continue swirling around, before pausing and landing on the ground, chittering back at her gleefully. Boop had never had a problem making friends. But then again, the flitter was just that, a flitt. People often would react adversely if one just walked up and started buzzing around them, chattering endlessly. With a soft chuckle, almost to himself, he looked back towards the woman.

”Calming...That is the exact reason I keep finding myself frequenting this place. Between the moon and starlight, and the starlizards, it feels serene here.” He couldn't help but enjoy the atmosphere, it was almost an obligation if one spent time there. One he was happy to oblige. Her question didn't surprise him however, and he turned towards her, grinning a bit, ”Do I look it?” Not that he thought he did or not, but he found himself curious none the less, ”I am from the tunnels, but just a Candidate. I only arrived maybe a sevenday or so ago, still settling in and all that.”

He didn't catch the feel of a handler from her, however. He had noticed in the tunnels that the handlers all felt a bit off when they weren't with their whers, like a tiny part of them was missing, even if they were just outside. She didn't have that faint sense of loss, ”You though, you're not a handler.” His words were more statement than question. "And you can unshield your glow. It's just a single one, I was just caught a bit unaware." His tone was jovial, the chuckle apparent in his voice.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage