Company for Breakfast [Open]

The main, central area of the Weyr, since it's no longer a "bowl" like before, people have taken to calling it the courtyard, or more often, the Weyr Yard. Dragons land and take off here while people walk from building to building going along their daily duties.
Saerle
Title: Laureate
Pronouns: She/Her
Tag Status: Open

Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:20 am

V'eri shrugged in return, it had been worth a shot. One day, perhaps. "Really I don't mind. I hardly expected he would allow it anyway. In any case, I'm starving. I can play for you another time but right now I just want a bloody steak." her mouth watered at the thought and Xanth looked up at her. It felt as though she had a furrowed brow as she watched her rider. "I'm glad he enjoyed the music though. I'll go settle Xanth to sleep and meet you back here?" she asked, to which the garnet snorted.

Why aren't you upset that he was rude to you? Xanth asked, irritation in her voice as V'eri felt her temper brewing in her small body. She would far outsize the chimera one day and she knew it, but seeing her rider accept that sort of hostility had her on edge.

"Xanth darling, accepting other people's limitations is part of life. Just because you are a garnet and rather high ranked in the color hierarchy doesn't mean that you automatically get treated with respect. You, and I, both have to earn that from others. And as a weyrling pair we are just steps away from the lowest in the Weyr. Now calm your hackles, I won't have you acting like a spoiled child." V'eri scolded, her tone that of a rider keeping their dragon in check. It would seem she had to start early with it, given the garnet's occasional displays of temper.

I will demand respect! Xanth said, taking a step forward and then swinging her head around when V'eri pressed silent commands on her. She growled with annoyance, her eyes sparking with tiny flecks of red.

"Xanth, you will desist immediately. You had better show the respect that you want to earn one day before something comes back to bite you in the ass. Now calm yourself, you are overtired and need to sleep. This little fit is not becoming of you." The woman's will won out, of course, after a single push against it. Xanth's tense body released the tension it was holding visibly. She looked so sheepish that V'eri shook her head and went to her to cradle her head. "I am not angry with you, but we need to stay in our place. We are learning still and one day... one day we will rise to the top and make a name for ourselves. I promise."

You're right... I'm sorry. Why don't you go inside and eat? I'll rest out here and wait for you, then we can walk back together. Okay? After her thorough scolding and clearly upsetting her rider, the dragonet was loathe to go back to the Barracks without her. When the woman nodded, kissing her nose, Xanth went and curled around the case for the violin against the wall and closed her eyes.

Verilyn released the breath she had been holding, shook her head and turned to Locke. "I guess I don't have to settle her after all. I'm sorry that Xanth looked like she wanted to do... well, I don't know what she wanted to do but it wasn't okay, whatever it was. That's the first time I've had to force my will on her."

Going to the violin case, she placed her treasure inside and tucked it closer to the garnet who wrapped her foreleg around and rested her head over it. V'eri stretched, shook her arms out and eyed the cigarette that Locke was smoking, making a gesture toward it, "May I?" she had never made a habit of smoking but once or twice had puffed with the Hold Guards. After the moment of tension with her dragon the redhead felt like she might need a puff or two. It wasn't as though she could have a glass of wine, anyway.

And one day she discovered that she was fierce, and strong, and full of fire,
and that not even she could hold herself back
Because her passion burned brighter than her fears.
.::Marks Tracking :: Characters, Recurring NPCs & Available Family Tracker :: Candidate Questionnaires::.
Italic speech from dragon or human is telepathic, unstyled text is heard by anyone nearby for my characters.
Image Image Image Image Image Image

Parker
Site Admin
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him
Tag Status: Open Permission Needed

Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:03 am

Locke did feel bad and a bit embarrassed for the way his dragon treated V'eri...and how he treated people in general. Can you at least stop, look at her, and say 'thank you'? It's really so much to ask? Locke asked of his asshole of a dragon. Wraith didn't even bother to stop and respond to his rider. All he did was flip his tail in a whip-like fashion as he continued to walk away. He sighed and ran a hand through his unruly hair as he turned back to Veri and gave her a helpless shrug. "I'm glad you understand, at least, that way I don't have to constantly explain and apologize for him. That's all my life would consist of if I had to do that." He stated with a groan. "Yeah, that's fine. I am a bit hungry myself."

Apparently the young red was not so keen to simply ignore Wraith's rudeness. It wasn't his place, however, to intervene and try to tell the garnet what to do. Had she not been stopped from going after Wraith, then he would have done something to keep her away from him but that wasn't necessary since words from Verilyn were enough to keep her from going down that rather dangerous path. Locke kept out of the conversation for now since he didn't feel it was his business.

A small shrug disturbed his otherwise relaxed shoulders at her apology. "You kept her from making a bad decision, that's all that matters," Locke stated as if he hadn't been worried at all when in fact he was. "Wraith don't take kindly to anyone demanding anything from him. Not even fully grown golds. He can be compelled to do what the higher ranks ask, but he generally ends up making things worse than they were before. That's why I was rather happy when we were grounded. I didn't have to worry about Wraith not treating our wingmates well." He explained. "I can't say I'm much help in this area. I've never been a fan of being told what to do either."

He didn't question her wanting a cigarette. She seemed old enough to him that she didn't need to be restricted as far as smoking went. "Hang on a moment," the one he had in his mouther was pretty much done, so he tossed it to the ground and stuffed it out with his foot. He then opened his little tin and pulled out two new ones. Both he placed in his mouth and lit them before handing one over to her. "There you go,"
ImageImageImageImage
Zaynallen | C'sian | Sid'nis | Locke
ImageImageImageImageImage
Najden | Kisle'vis | Corbin | Calivander | Olyver

.::..::..::..::..::..
Saerle

Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:25 am

V'eri took a long drag on the cigarette, holding it a moment before releasing the smoke. On occasion, it was nice to have one but she had never made the habit of keeping it up. "Thanks, she commented between drags, letting her nerves settle because it had been a new sensation for her dragon's will to rise up so strongly. Higher ranked color or not, Xanth did not get to behave like a spoiled teenager and the woman was just glad she had managed to stop it before something happened that both of them would have regretted. "it's been a long time since I've smoked, and back then I didn't even really have a good reason for it. Not unless you counted rebellion and trying to relax after my father was particularly pushy during a day." She looked at the cigarette in her hand, surprised to see it almost gone as she blew her smoke with the wind and away. It occurred to her after a moment about whether weyrlings were allowed to smoke but at that moment she didn't really care and she couldn't imagine Locke giving her away anyway. "I think I'd be glad to be grounded in that instance too, really. But if it happened to Xanth... she'd go crazy I think. Her wanderlust is so bad that she's often not where I left here when I go look for her. She gets bored and explores."

When she finished the smoke, she ground the end with her foot and looked to the chimerarider. Her stomach made a loud rumble and the images of bleeding steaks ran through her mind once again. V'eri felt exceedingly better and Xanth herself was calmer and more sedate now as well. It was a blessing to the redhead to see her dragon dozing around the violin case. "I wonder if she was responding to my own tension... I went into that knowing what to expect from Wraith, but I think she had expected him to be... not as much as that." the garnet let loose a low rumble of a dozing dragon as Verilyn turned back to Locke. "So, about that food. Shall we?"

V'eri gave Xanth a mental hug and wandered toward the Dining hall entrance letting Locke follow as he wished. Briefly she wished she was allowed a glass or two of wine, but with Xanth feeling her blood that night she didn't want to risk even the slightest mental change caused by sneaking a glass of alcohol like some of the other did on occasion. Her desire dissipated the moment she saw the bloody prime rib roast being sliced near the middle -- the most red part. In moments she was standing before the cook with an empty plate as a huge slab that almost covered the whole thing was set on it. Immediately juice covered the white plate and she added a pile of mashed spuds to what remained. For now, that was all she wanted and she turned to look for Locke so they could find a seat once he was dished up.

.::Marks Tracking :: Characters, Recurring NPCs & Available Family Tracker :: Candidate Questionnaires::.
Italic speech from dragon or human is telepathic, unstyled text is heard by anyone nearby for my characters.

Parker
Site Admin

Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:59 am

Locke didn't remember if smoking was allowed for weyrlings or not and the truth was he didn't really care. He wasn't going to tell anyone on her. That would make him a right hypocrite considering all the rules he broke when he was a weyrling. He took a long drag of his own smoke as he watched her. "I've never believed a person needs a specific reason to want to enjoy a smoke. I enjoy them merely because I enjoy them. These are just normal cigarettes, I like the stronger kinds of smoke as well. Those, however, I don't think candidates are allowed to have." They were mind-altering, perhaps not as bad as alcohol, but still enough that not even he would smoke one with the chance of harming a dragon. "Nothing wrong with a bit of wanderlust. It's better than what Wraith likes to do when he's bored."

While she was stubbing her smoke out he was still finishing the rest of his. "They are very sensitive at that age, so it is very possible. Besides that, it's hard to convey exactly how Wraith is and people believe me fully." He knew first hand just how easy it was to disturb a young dragon and change them for life. Wraith was living proof of that. Now, though, considering how broke his own mind was, he had decided to reassess exactly what it was that had made Wraith so different. "Now you both know what he is like...and this is him on a good day. His worst of days I take him out of the weyr for everyone else's safety." He explained in the way that made it seem as if he was amused, but yet conveyed no feeling of amusement.

Locke finished up the end of his smoke before he shook his head and dropped the butt to the ground so his toes could twist it into the dirt. "Yeah, I'm ready to eat," he assured her as he followed her into the dining hall. The smells were savory and delicious so he couldn't wait to see what things tasted like. Locke got himself a plate and filled it with lean and plenty of protein and some fresh vegetables. He wasn't the sort to believe a person had to do extreme and harsh dieting or exercise to stay fit. It was all about moderation.

Once he had his plate of food he looked for V'eri and once he found her they went and found a table to sit at. "It's been a while since I've had a steak of any kind. This looks like it is cut and cooked perfectly." Locke sat his food down on the table before he pulled out a chair for himself.
ImageImageImageImage

Saerle

Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:34 pm

V'eri winked at Locke, "It's a good thing I'm not a Candidate, then, huh?" she teased, "But still, I want to try them one day... but if they are mind-altering in a significant way, I won't risk Xanth over a bit of fun that I've never experienced before." Love for the garnet colored her tone as she let her eyes wander to the sleeping dragon. "I do agree that some wanderlust is fine... but not in the middle of a lesson she got bored with." Luckily that didn't happen often... most of the time lessons were fun and new for the dragonet who got easily bored by repetition.

Still, she shrugged when he explained more about Wraith, "I'd like to see him again some time. Even if he didn't say it, it was clear that he enjoyed the music. If he hadn't, I'm sure he would have gotten up and walked away." V'eri's tone was light and cheerful; she hadn't been offended at all and that was quite possibly why her dragon had been.

Finally they were sitting down to eat and the woman placed her napkin across her lap before arranging her cutlery... it was an old habit that had stuck with her and reminded V'eri of her mother. It wasn't strictly necessary any longer but if she had to have a fancy dinner for whatever reason, she didn't want to do her mother a disservice by making it seem as though she hadn't been taught her manners. "I don't think I've ever eaten so much red meat before I Impressed. I enjoyed seafood often, and wherry, but red meat wasn't constantly available like the others. Even still, my working out as a Weyrling and growing a dragonet keeps me busy enough that it's as though I'm only eating salad and fish... I've actually lost weight when I was trying to eat a normal amount."

V'eri was so hungry she would have been happy to shove her fork in the meat and eat it off the end without a knife, but she shook her head against it and cut it up nicely. When she finished the plate had meat juice in a small puddle which she mixed into her potatoes in place of the actual gravy offered by the Kitchens. Spearing a piece of steak, she smeared it in the potatoes and shoved the whole thing in her mouth, actually moaning in pleasure at the taste. Until that moment she hadn't realized just how hungry she was and her eyes closed while she savored the first delicious bite. "You're right, it is cooked perfectly. Dangerously so... I might have to get a salad once this is gone to balance it out a little." she said after she swallowed.

Parker
Site Admin

Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:57 pm

"Well, one day when your Xanth is older I will be sure to offer you some of my personal stashes. I prefer to have the higher end stuff than the weak shit you'd get around here," Locke explained. He had a woman in The Bottoms that he bought from. She took pride in her product and it was well worth the extra marks it cost compared to some of the cheaper sellers. "It tends to affect different people differently. Some it can knock them on their ass before they know it. For others, they could smoke a whole one by themselves and only feel a buzz. That reason alone is a good reason to wait until Xanth is older."

Locke shook his head, not at all sure why this weyrling was so intent in getting to know his dragon. He'd had some riders in the past try to do such a thing because of their female dragon hoping to catch Wraith's eye. Locke couldn't see that being the case here considering how young her dragon was and how big she would be compared to Wraith when she was mature. "I'm sure you'll get the displeasure of spending time with him again. Yes, he did...just make sure to not let him know that you know this. He'll immediately act the opposite out of spite."

While he had not grown up being taught proper manners, Kent had made sure to train him in some of the more common ones. Ones like putting a napkin across your lap before you begin tucking into your food. He thought back to his weyrling days, ignoring the highlights of that time, he sort of recalled losing weight. Of course, those highlights couldn't truly be ignored so he couldn't help but wonder if his losing weight was because of that or merely because of being a weyrling. "I don't think that is too uncommon. Probably why they care more about weyrlings exercising than eating healthy."

Locke began to take his first bite of food, but quickly became distracted by the way V'eri was set about consuming the meal as fast as possible. An amused smirk spread on his lips as he continued to watch her for a moment. "I would question if you'd even have room for it. Besides...you only get one life, eat what you want."
ImageImageImageImage