An Invitation of Ascension - LdyPayne | Lerina

Not the large stone caverns that Weyr people are used to, these are buildings built on the top of the cliff, sometimes referred to as the Weyr Cliff. These buildings are all the same size, with multiple apartments for dragonriders to live in in each building. Because of space constraints, dragons sleep in large pavilions built around the dragonrider apartments.
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:52 pm

Season - Mid Summer 2049
Time - Late Afternoon, 17.00
Location - Dragonrider's Pavilion, Miral's Office

@LdyPayne | Lerina

It had taken some effort to move into her new quarters, but nearly as much as Miral had anticipated. Her achievement of the Wingleader position provided the zultaniterider with privileges she had long missed, but she also recognised there was much work to be done. Her shift into the position led to the transfer of Inez into a new Wing at Miral's request, for the woman had eyes on a new Wingsecond. With a turn of experience under her belt, Inez was a proven Wingsecond who would serve L'van well. Now, however, it was time for a new rider to climb the ranks and reach their full potential. Miral had known of her for some time, and quietly observed her from a distance on occasion in the Dining Hall. And when her name came in conversation, Miral heard nothing but praise about her. A Brownrider. Lerina.

After a lengthy discussion with Elysia, the seasoned Wingthird of Miral's new wing, White Dawn, the zultaniterider settled on her decision. She sent a missive to A'ric the next day, if only to inform him of her intentions to offer the Wingsecond position to Lerina, thus requesting that Lerina be excused for a meeting. Then she sent a letter to the brownrider.

Dear Lerina,

This is a formal invitation to a meeting that will take place on the seventeenth candlemark in my office. Rest assured, your Wingleader is aware of this summoning, and has granted you leave for it.

Kind Regards,
Wingleader Miral

On the day of the meeting, Miral awaited the arrival of the brownrider. For the meantime, as she waited, she wrote a report on the outcome of wing drills that day, and what courses of action might be taken to improve the performances of her wingmen.
LdyPayne

Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:20 pm

It had been a surprise to get a note from Miral, a rider Lerina certainly heard about being the rider of the only male Zultanite in existence she was aware of. The only other thing she knew about the woman was she had only transferred to New Atricis recently. Looking at the rank Miral gave in her note Lerina saw she didn't take long to become a Wingleader.

As much as Lerina tried to keep taps on who was in which wing she wasn't sure which wing Miral had been assigned to when she transferred into New Atricis. Either way Lerina knew new Wingleaders didn't typically have meetings with riders from other Wings unless there was a good reason and usually a promising one when it came to advancing one's career. Thus it was with a hopeful heart Lerina headed towards Miral's office a good ten minutes before the time given for the meeting.

Dressed in clothing she typically wore for more formal meetings but not as fancy as her Gather finest or more ceremonial events, Lerina headed for Miral's office. Her hair was recently washed and done up in a braid tied to the back of her head more due to it being too hot out to have her hair down and lose than trying to look professional. Her atire was clean and just old enough to be comfortable but clean of blemish or worn spots. Lerina certainly knew how to look clean and presentable without going overboard.

Once she arrived at Miral's door Lerina gave a soft knock and waited til she was called to enter before stepping inside. Not knowing how formal Miral was nor how she expected subordinates to act Lerina decided to go with official and gave the Wingleader a proper salute and stood at attention.

"You wished to see me, Wingleader Miral?" Lerina greeted then fell silent.
Shaihulud

Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:54 am

Miral stood before her wall of charts when Myrath reached out to her.

She's here.

Good, the Wingleader thought back to her beast. Lerina was early. Such promptness only fuelled her suspicions that she was making the right decision, though she would reserve her final judgement until she met the brownrider. With a final scan of her charts, Miral stepped away, and entered the living room of her quarters right as the telling knock rapped at her door. She crossed the room, and opened the door to the young brownrider, who dressed formerly for the occasion.

Miral herself was dressed in her usual attire, a clean button up tunic of soft creamy cotton, a pair of fresh wherhide trousers, and a pair of knee high flight boots.

"You wished to see me, Wingleader Miral?"

There was the briefest pause between them, just enough for Miral to gauge the posture and presentation of the rider before. "Please, come in, Lerina," she replied with a step back to permit the brownrider's entrance.

Her quarters had not entirely settled yet. Several crates stat in a corner of the room, while several unpacked items congregated on her dining room table.

"Do pardon the clutter. I've scarcely had time to settle." The lack of a Wingsecond meant Miral and Elysia needed to work beyond their means. Hopefully, once Lerina accepted the offer and settled (which Miral had no doubt she would), Miral would have more time to make her apartment feel more like home again. She led the brownrider to her office, the tidiest location of her quarters, at least for the meantime. If she had her say, by the end of the sevenday, the rest of her home would become just as immaculate. "Before I get to the point, Lerina-" she began as she slipped into her seat, and sat with a straight posture "-how about you tell me a little bit about yourself."

Miral would not clarify the question for the brownrider. She wanted Lerina to answer for herself, to deem what was more appropriate to mention in this moment. If the brownrider had no idea how to answer, and had not the faintest idea why Miral had summoned her to her office, Miral was of the opinion she would need to find a different Wingsecond. However, the Wingleader was confident that would not be the case.
LdyPayne

Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:45 pm

The moment the door opened Lerina was faced with Miral herself who was dressed in what Lerina would call standard dragonrider fair. It was what Lerina herself wore when not attending meetings with new Wingleaders or preparing for dragonrider duties or caring for Issormoth. In other words, what was practical for everyday wear of your typical dragonrider. The condition of Miral's clothing told Lerina the woman liked to look presentable and was comfortable with command.

Lerina nodded briefly when Miral asked her to come in. Lerina did so, carrying herself with quiet confidence which spoke she wasn't nervious or paranoid about the reason for this unexpected meeting. Once inside the appartment Lerina stopped and waited for Miral to indicate where they would be having their talk. It was impossible not to notice the main area of the apartment still had plenty of unpacked boxes, a sure sign the woman was still settling into her new home. Whether it was because she only recently arrived in New Atricis or due to having to move into a Wingleader's Apartment Lerina couldn't say.

Once inside the small office Lerina quickly saw this was where Miral's focus had been to set up the way she liked. One quick look around was enough to see Miral was a woman who took her duties seriously and liked being organized and tidy. Lerina's own apartment was also just as tidy and organized, or at least as much as she could keep it with a young furflit she was still training running around.

As she hadn't been invited to sit, Lerina stood before Miral's desk in what dragonriders considered an 'at ease' posture. Lerina did like what she saw in Miral so far but wondered given the woman's immaculate office and straight posture while sitting, if she'll be a rigid by the books type of Wingleader or one who was flexible enough to adjust to things that didn't fit into the typical black and white world reality tended to be. Lerina hadn't served under many Wingleaders but she knew how a rigid inflexible leader was like. SHe dealt with plenty like that back in Igen and even after the disaster that fell upon Igen she knew it had been as bad as it was because of inflexible and self-serving leaders.

Lerina didn't expect the first thing Miral would ask her was to request she tell the new Wingleader about herself. Lerina didn't like to talk about certain aspects of her past nor did she like to be blunt about who her father was. Most people already knew that and it certain wasn't something Lerina would use to try and influence anybody. Nor did she want people to try and influence L'van by doing favours for his daughter either. Lerina wouldn't let herself be manipulated like that by anybody.

"Issormoth and I have been flying in Silver Dusk for several Turns now and doing quite well. My performance within Silver Dusk will more than speak for my dedication to duty and how well I work within a team. I'm a woman who likes to accomplish things by her own determination, skill and hard work I don't free load off anybody." Lerina didn't like to just say what she was capable of, preferring to let her actions speak for her when possible. Lerina also knew most of who she was could easily be learned by talking to her current Wingleader and Wingmates and she didn't think Miral would have called her here without knowing at least this much about who she was. Which had her thinking the question was asked more to learn just what part of her life Lerina would talk about than what she actually said.

"On my own time I like to keep in shape, meet other female brownriders and get to know them as I feel a certain kinship with them, especially those who come from Weyrs who have little to no tolerance for the non-traditional. One thing I'm not is a Traditionalist, I feel people, regardless of gender are more than capable of doing any task if they have the passion and talent for it. When I earn a position of leadership I will not be biased against anybody due to outdated views, instead focusing on what each individual's actions and talents."
Shaihulud

Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:53 pm

Miral found it curious the girl did not take a seat. It seemed Lerina was the sort not to act on something unless told to, which Miral considered both a strength and a weakness as a Wingsecond. The Wingleader needed someone who would follow an order without question, for questions took time, and Thread Falls did not spare much of it when spores continually descended above head. However, she also needed someone bold enough to take charge when necessary, to feel confident enough to act without constant instruction.

"Issormoth and I have been flying in Silver Dusk for several Turns now and doing quite well. My performance within Silver Dusk will more than speak for my dedication to duty and how well I work within a team. I'm a woman who likes to accomplish things by her own determination, skill and hard work I don't free load off anybody."

Normally when the zultanite asked such a question of a potential, they took a path of humility that Miral found hardly appealing. Lerina, however spoke with confidence, which meant she had a backbone Miral could further train into perfection and harden.

"On my own time I like to keep in shape, meet other female brownriders and get to know them as I feel a certain kinship with them, especially those who come from Weyrs who have little to no tolerance for the non-traditional. One thing I'm not is a Traditionalist, I feel people, regardless of gender are more than capable of doing any task if they have the passion and talent for it. When I earn a position of leadership I will not be biased against anybody due to outdated views, instead focusing on what each individual's actions and talents."

"Then that makes two of us," Miral agreed as she motioned to the seat across from her. "Please, sit. Though know in the future, I do expect you to understand you do not need permission for every little thing under my command. While others prefer such control as to make their riders say 'how high' when they say 'jump', I will tell you I am not that kind of Wingleader. I expect you to follow an order, but I need you to think for yourself as well. You are a seasoned rider, Lerina. Trust your instincts." Rather than delay the matter, Miral reached into her drawer and supplied the distinct cords. "I can tell you are clever, therefore there is no need to dance around the reason for your visit." The thin ropes were neatly presented to her, Wingsecond cords. "Do you accept?"

And yet... Lerina would not be able to just reach out and take them. Miral would pin them into place herself on her new Wingsecond, as it was done to her the day she first ascended to the position.
LdyPayne

Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:52 pm

It was good to hear Miral was also of like mind as herself when it came to treating people equally and not be biased against their gender or even colour of dragon. Lerina took a seat as soon as she was invited to do so but kept her attention on the Wingleader as she did so. Lerina could have taken a seat earlier without waiting for a specific invitation but given she didn't know the woman she had felt it was best to remain formal. Now that she knew taking the initiative over such minor things wouldn't be unwelcome Lerina definitely won't hesitate again.

Lerina respected the chain of command and how to conduct oneself in the presence of a superior but she also was more than capable of standing her ground against something that didn't sit right with her. The actions of Igen leadership was one thing she struggled against most of her life, the accusations and resentment over her when her father was forced to leave then after when she Impressed a brown, it toughened her up but didn't dampen her determination to gain a leadership position so she could stop such actions happening to other people.

Issormoth could feel his rider's excitement and knew something momentous was happening and tuned into her mind closer to see what was going on. It didn't take long for him to learn just what was happening between his rider and the Zultaniterider. <This is a good thing, take them and someday I will take us all the way,> the brown encouraged.

Lerina couldn't help the smile that crossed her face from Issormoth's words and rush of encouragement. Looking at Miral she let the smile widen and gave a gurt nod. "I accept and thank you for this opportunity and believe me when I say you won't be disappointed."

She didn't reach out for the knots however, knowing it was far easier to have somebody else pin new knots upon one's shoulder than to do it yourself. Besides it seemed more appropriate when being promoted.
Shaihulud

Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:30 pm

Only the briefest pause was given once Lerina accepted the offer. It seemed the Wingleader deliberated over Lerina's response, yet before any mark of disapproval formed upon her gaunt countenance, the woman instead offered the slightest smirk just before she stood to her feet. With cord at hand, she walked over to Lerina. She said nothing as she removed the Wingrider cords, slipping them to the desk, only to take the pin once used to fasten old cords to secure her new ones. Miral settled the colourful ropes, making sure the loops hung properly from Lerina's shoulder before she stood back and gave a nod of approval.

"Yes, I do believe this will work out perfectly." The cords suited her well, and Miral was confident the brownrider would prove herself worthy enough to wear them, if the last few turns were any indication. "I will send word to your Wingleader about your transfer, effective immediately. There is much work to be done, and I would rather not delay any further." Even if not long had past, Miral did not want to wait any longer. She wanted her wing back in the skies by tomorrow, and thoroughly trained under their new command before the next thread fall.

"Also, in regards to your quarters, I will speak with the Headwoman myself. You will be given a day to move your belongings into your new apartment. Your new home will come with your own office space, and I want to make sure you are settled before you begin work. Your wingmen will have any questions as drills begin, and I want you prepared to receive them."
LdyPayne

Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:42 am

Lerina felt the difference in weight between her old wingman knots and the Wingsecond knots. She glanced over at the knots once they were fully attached and couldn't help but feel a surge of pride and pleasure at having achieved this step in her goals. Being Wingsecond will give her plenty of training for when she became a Wingleader or, if Issormoth proved himself to the senior gold, Weyrleader. For now she knew she will have to work hard to prove just how good a Wingsecond she could be.

"I'm ready to begin my new duties immediately," Lerina assured her. "It won't take me long to pack up my things and move into my new quarters, I can do that easily tonight and be settled by the morning to start my new duties. What will be our drills for tomorrow?"

Shaihulud

Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:30 am

My, she is eager, Miral mused to her dragon. It was a good quality to have in a Wingsecond, and Miral would make sure to use it to White Dawn's strength. However, Miral did still expect the young woman to take her time, even if she proclaimed her readiness.

"What will be our drills for tomorrow?"

The Wingleader stood to her feet to step to one wall decorated in flight charts. "Tomorrow, I will be implementing several new wing formations for our riders. These sorts of flight layouts worked well in Benden, and I do believe will be of use here in Atricis, especially when fighting thread down south where winds are far more turbulent." Different wing patterns always met different meeds, and now that Atricis had more mountainous territories to cover, it meant they needed to adjust. Yes, their former training had managed well enough, but Miral sought efficiency from her new wing. She pointed to her desk where there was a small stack of fresh hide, as well as a quill for Lerina to use. "Please memorise these three wings-" she pointed to the three different patterns on the wall, each one laying out where the leaders, and the various dragon hues were to be positioned. Each of the wing formations transitioned into the next. The idea of them was to work with the winds that more mountainous altitudes tended to produce "-In the morning, at the top of the seventh candlemark, you, Elysia, and myself will meet to discuss our drills. If you have any questions, please ask them then."

Of course, if Lerina realised she needed more time, Miral would grant it to her, but since the brownrider was so insistent, Miral was already making her expectations clear.

LdyPayne

Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:36 pm

As Miral rose to walk towards the board dominating one wall Lerina rose as well and joined her there. It wasn't hard to pinpoint the new flight charts and how they differed from flight patterns she had grown used to in her own wing. With the addition of mountainous regions Lerina wished she had been allowed to fly with Igen's wings but was never given the opportunity purely due to the Igen Weyrleader's prejudice against female brownriders. If he had then Lerina would have some experience fighting Thread over Mountains and dealing with the various wind currents typical of mountain ranges.

Looking over the formations Lerina knew it would be better if she copied the formations and could study them further on her own. For now she listened to Miral's instructions and nodded her understanding.

"May I borrow some paper and a quills so I can copy these formations down to study?" Lerina asked. "Then I can be out of your hair while I prepare for tomorrow's meeting."

It wouldn't take her long to copy the formations and the names of the riders in her new wing. After that she could pack up her things and move into her new quarters which would give her most of the evening to study the wing formations and write down any questions she had for the meeting first thing in the morning.

ooc: and I think we can wrap this up on your reply or my next one. I enjoyed this thread :)