So Much for Sure Feet - LdyPayne | Lerina

The main, central area of the Weyr, since it's no longer a "bowl" like before, people have taken to calling it the courtyard, or more often, the Weyr Yard. Dragons land and take off here while people walk from building to building going along their daily duties.
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:09 pm

"I'll be glad to accompany you to the Infirmary, I was heading towards there anyway, ultimately to the Dinning Cavern for a bite to eat so it's not much of a detour and I don't mind chatting and keeping your mind busy and not thinking about your shoulder."

"Aye, that is mighty kind o' ye, Lerina. I consider meself lucky tae have ye help." It also meant that Sig'ryn could not only distract herself from the pain, as Lerina put it, but also monopolise the lassie's time. As far as the pewterrider saw it, she was going to stuff her boots while she could. "So ye run, ye make it a habit tae rescue laddies like meself?" the runner could not help but chuckle, teasing Lerina ever so slightly, if only to get her to smile.

Yes, the pewterrider hurt, but that did not mean she could not make the best of a shite situation. As for what she had planned, well, Sig'ryn would just wait and see for now, and see how Lerina responded during their little walk. However, before one might make an assumption, Sig'ryn would swear in hindsight that her slow and easy pace had everything to do with the fact she took it easy to spare herself of the pain, not to savour as much time as she could with the bonnie lass. How true that actually was remained to actually be seen.

Image x5
counted
LdyPayne

Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:52 pm

Lerina chuckled lightly at Sigi's joke. "I like to run daily to keep in shape, as you know being a dragonrider isn't a cake walk even in a place like New Atricis. I certainly hope it won't be a regular event, seeing women falling from roof tops unexpectedly."

"What prompted you to come to New Atricis?" Lerina asked. "Or were you among those who had to relocate here when the Weyr up north was no longer livable?"

From what she had learned the original Atricis was falling apart around the Weyrfolk forcing the move to the South and what recently happened with Igen Weyr, Lerina wondered if more Northern Weyrs were on the verge of becoming dangers to live in. If that was the case the entire Northern population may end up living in the South over the coming Interval. Hopefully that wouldn't be the case, besides Igen Weyr may become livable again once the gases released by the earthquakes dispersed and the ground no longer shook. Thinking about her former home Lerina wondered if any of the refugees who were brought here, especially the Weyrlings would ever return.

Shaihulud

Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:02 am

!
Language
"I like to run daily to keep in shape, as you know being a dragonrider isn't a cake walk even in a place like New Atricis. I certainly hope it won't be a regular event, seeing women falling from roof tops unexpectedly."

Sig'ryn nearly laughed out, but caught herself at the feel of strain at her shoulder. Instead, a chuckle escaped her before she replied. Oy oy oy. It was just the one time. A nay fall like that. You should happen tae ken that Ah'm well balanced, an' Ah'll be happy tae give ye a run fur ye marks if ye e'er want." The offer was more than a dare, though Sig'ryn was not about to point that out. Part of the fun in the game of flirting was knowing that the game was even on. How long would it take Lerina to figure it out, and how would she reply once she realised it?

The anticipation of it excited Sig'ryn, emboldening her little by little as they walked.

"What prompted you to come to New Atricis? Or were you among those who had to relocate here when the Weyr up north was no longer livable?"

"Nay, it was bandits," Sig'ryn answered honestly. "Had loads of them runnin' aboot the mountains where A lived in Ruatha. Used tae be a runner afore they came. But... then they tried tae get my family tae run missives fur them. But Ah've always been a right nosy cunt, so A read one o' them, an' found oot they had taken some o' the Lord Holder's family, so... A went after them. It's a mess, an' it didna end good. Long story short, A pissed them gits right off, an' tae keep me safe from the bandits, the Ruathan Lord Holder sent me south tae Southern Seahold. A was foond on search not long after, came here tae Atricis, an' wee Kal o'er there decided tae pick me from that sorry lot o' candidates." Sig'ryn brushed over the fact the bandit lord burned her home down after betraying him as she did. Sig'ryn never saw her family again. "So... A guess in a strange way, A did come here cause the north is no longer liveable fur me."

LdyPayne

Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:36 am

Glancing back towards the Craft buildings near where she saw Sig'ryn fall Lerina couldn't imagine anybody wanting to run along the roof. It didn't seem like a good surface to run on, being sloped and the tiles likely slippery. The more she thought about it she realized that wasn't what the Pewter rider was actually doing but jumping from rooftop to rooftop. She had seen some kids at Igen scaling the cliff face and jumping down to the roof of the beast shed more as a dare but it was not something she had ever participated in.

"If you were jumping from roof top to roof top when you lost your footing and fell, I doubt I would be much a challenge for you on the ground. I'm far from a fast runner and definitely not any competition from somebody who ran messages. Those folks are fast and surefooted even in Igen. That said I wouldn't mind the company if you don't mind running at a much slower pace than you're used to." Lerina was fit but she was no distance runner and the only climbing she did was up and down Issormoth's body. Definitely no better or worse than any typical brownrider.

"I'm sorry to hear you had trouble with bandits...and had to face them like you did." Lerina never had to kill anybody in her life so had no idea how that would feel. She did know how to defend herself and if it ever came down to it she didn't doubt she could take a life. One thing she knew she was tough enough to endure a beating even if she didn't deserve it, she put up with several Turns of mistreatment at Igen Weyr and never again will she let anybody do that sort of thing to her or anybody else if she could help it. However, she felt no desire to seek out revenge but that may solely be due to not having a reason to seek revenge yet. Deep down she hoped she never will but should the time come she'll do what was just and within the law.

"I hope your family's safe, I worried so much about my own since I left Igen but my most immediate did move here prior to the Earthquakes that brought so many other Igenites here." Lerina wished the leaders of Igen had remained there to suffer in the empty halls of the Weyr they turned into a hell for her and Issormoth but she felt they were getting their own version of hell anyway. Now all of Pern knew just how cruel and heartless they truly were.

Shaihulud

Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:44 pm

"If you were jumping from roof top to roof top when you lost your footing and fell, I doubt I would be much a challenge for you on the ground."

"Oy oy oy, it was just the one time," Sig'ryn chuckled back in interruption, only to cease the sound when it caused the joints to ache from the reverberations. As a prideful creature, the pewterrider hoped Lerina had not heard the slightest croaking groan or the hiss made under her breath.

"I'm far from a fast runner and definitely not any competition from somebody who ran messages. Those folks are fast and surefooted even in Igen. That said I wouldn't mind the company if you don't mind running at a much slower pace than you're used to."

"Fur ye? A can do that," agreed the weyrling. Just the idea of running with Lerina, and despite the current pains, was enough to make the pewterrider grin, for the thought of enjoying Lerina's company after the pain passed was certainly an appealing on. "Besides, A doubt Ah'll be runnin' too fast for a wee while. Pretty sure the healers woold give be a right wallop if A tried." Once Sig'ryn healed, however, she had every intention of playfully running circles with Lerina.

From behind them, Kalumith lumbered behind them, ready to extend a nose out to his rider, but for now, he did not seem all too concerned aside from the bouts of pain that plagued Sig'ryn.

I'm sorry to hear you had trouble with bandits...and had to face them like you did. I hope your family's safe, I worried so much about my own since I left Igen but my most immediate did move here prior to the Earthquakes that brought so many other Igenites here."

Dark eyes looked to the woman who supported her, surprised by her response, though Sig'ryn supposed it was rather sympathetic and kind of her to care. "A... havena seen them. Dinna want tae get much intae it though, fur a dinna like the idea o' gettin' ye upset o'er it. A accepted it, moved on. Sometimes it's the best we can do." Did Sig'ryn miss them? Bloody yes she did. She missed the laughter over a dram of whisky while each and every one boosted about their day, the bickering and hollering, the joy, the haggis. She missed home. Yet for all the hole of their absence plagued her, Sig'ryn also accepted there was little she could do about it, for one could do nothing to remedy the conditions of the dead.

"How aboot yet tell me a story aboot yeself while we walk?" Sig'ryn suggested. "Somethin' merry. A happy memory that makes ye laugh when ye look back. Dinna has tae be embarrassin', though A wooldna say nay tae that if ye'd prefer." It felt better to think of lighter things to best get to know Lerina.

LdyPayne

Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:58 am

"I suppose slipping is one of the risks doing what you do," Lerina responded. From everything Sig'ryn implied she had been climbing and jumping from rooftop to rooftop for quite some time, certainly long enough slipping was not something that happened to her. For herself all the climbing and jumping she did was scaling Issormoth on a daily bases and she managed that easily enough. Sig'ryn's talent was one to admire as Lerina had little doubt it was a skill she lacked and wasn't all that keen in learning. It was just not something that interested her.

Lerina chuckled when Sigi pointed out she wasn't going to be up to doing any serious running till her injuries healed fully. "I'm not planning on going anywhere so there'll be plenty of time for you to heal up enough for the Healers to let you join me in my morning exercise."

She glanced behind and saw the Pewter following them quietly and hoped he wasn't too worried about his rider. Lerina knew too well a rider's pain can easily be felt by the dragon and vise versa. He seemed a quiet one but that could be due to worrying about his rider. Dragons in general did talk to her more than others she knew but Lerina didn't think all dragons would want to. From what she recalled her friends telling her prior to Impressing Issormoth, dragon rarely talked to them even after being Searched. Zenjarth had always talked to her but he was her father's dragon so it hadn't seemed unusual to her but when others did, including many who weren't the dragons of her family or family friends, Lerina realized dragons must think she was easy to talk to for some reason. She couldn't hear them unless they wanted her to so she definitely didn't have the ability to hear all dragons like her niece Surieka did.

Lerina turned away from the Pewter to focus on Sig'ryn's reply to her comment about her family. Despite her words about moving on Lerina was certain Sigi missed the family she left behind when she came to New Atricis. Lerina could sympathize as she had older siblings in the North. Not all had come South with the other Igen refugees as they managed to escape the sickness that plagued so many after the Earthquake. Deciding it may be best not to ask more questions about Sig'ryn's family she didn't continue that line of discussion. It came as no surprise however when Sig'ryn inquired about her own past. Fortunately she asked about happy moments which made it much easier for Lerina to reply.

"I would have to say my happiest moment would be Impressing Issormoth. Despite how others felt about it I couldn't have been more happy when I looked into his rainbow hued eyes and felt our minds and souls join together." Lerina felt no need to elaborate more on why that moment was so special, all dragonriders could relate to it. "Spending time with my family was always a highlight of my childhood, especially when my father came to visit. He didn't live with my mother so I didn't see him often but I was fine with that."

At this point they reached the building the Infirmary was housed in and Lerina paused to open the door so Sig'ryn could make her way inside. She glanced over at the Pewter and gave him a reassuring look. "Don't worry I'll make sure your rider is seen by a Healer," Lerina said to Kalumith. Once Sig'ryn was inside she followed her into the building.

"We're almost there," Lerina said needlessly as the main entry into the Infirmary was just up ahead. Several Healers and Apprentices were moving about among a group of Weyrfolk waiting to be seen. It was busy but not as busy as it could be especially during Threadfall. From the looks of things they will have to wait for a bit before a Healer could see Sig'ryn. "Lets find you a place to sit while we wait or do you prefer to stand?"