For the Want of Stew <Tag Dalya (Shai)>

Despite being new, this dining hall is very similar to the one back at old Atricis, giving a familiarity to the new Weyr. It is one large, central cavern carved out from the side of the cliff with many tables of varying sizes and seat numbers. The kitchens are attached, and there is a set of stairs leading down into the lower caverns.
LdyPayne

Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:21 am

I'ent took a closer look at the Starburst and knew right away she was much larger than any of his own pets. Taking in her total length and the slinky like body he didn't think she was a typical Fancy Flit either. In fact she looked like those larger slimmer ones only the rich and elite of Walled Hold could afford. Strange out such prized and valuable creatures were owned by anybody here at New Atricis. He knew many people here gave lizard eggs away for free, to anybody who wanted them. He could make a fortune selling eggs in Walled Hold but he found better uses for the clutches his Shimmer had given him so far.

"She's huge, Shimmer is only a little over three and a half feet, in fact none of my pets are larger than that. My gossamer is just a tiny thing compared to my other pets but he can shriek like nothing else if he feels threatened. The sound alone keeps my two flits away from him. He doesn't do that as much anymore as Shimmer and Glow know better than to bother him or Ancient."

"I never thought I would ever own a pet and there was only a short period in my childhood when I wondered what it would be like to own a fighting canine," I'ent recollected. He hadn't thought much about that dream since it happened so close to when his father was murdered. He didn't intend to mention that part of it but he felt he was alright saying he did want a canine before. "Then things became too hard and any thought of a pet was out of the question. At least till I came here and saw how useful Locke's pet was and when somebody was handing out Fancy Flit eggs for free...I took the opportunity to get one. It still amazes me people here just give them out for nothing. If I had fancy flit eggs back at Walled, I could have lived for months comfortably by selling a clutch worth of eggs."

Looking at Croquemboche and not recognizing what kind of Fancy Flit she was, as she didn't look like any fancy flit he had seen so far he realized she would fetch a truly handsome price. If he was the greedy sort he would be tempted to get a few eggs from her clutch to sell but I'ent just wasn't the sort. With a clutching Basilisk and Fancy Flit of his own, he didn't even sell the eggs. He pretty much just gave them away, some to Messengers at Walled to make it easier for them to send messages to him and others just to Weyrfolk. They gave him a better life without asking anything in return other than hard work and I'ent certainly felt he owed them to at least share in what he had when he could.

"I'll call Shimmer and Glow here, though they likely want treats if I do.. in fact do you have any scrap meat lying around? Glow's likely to be hungry when he shows up, he sleeps most of the day so I feed him at night. Shimmer will want snacks unless she's already stuffed her face on something she hunted herself."

Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:27 pm

"She's huge, Shimmer is only a little over three and a half feet, in fact none of my pets are larger than that...

Amuderudalya giggled at his response before looking back to her sweet girl. So sick with mental and emotional illness when she was younger, the Weyrwoman and Candidatemaster never allowed Amuderudalya to stand as a candidate. It pained her as an adolescent while all her sisters began to stand, yet for all she longed for a dragon of her own, she learned to accept that not everyone was meant to become a dragonrider. Though perhaps not nearly important, she knew her work was necessary to keep riders like I'ent satiated and strong. This was her place, square in the kitchens where she could keep the hungry filled, whether they come from the weyr or Walled, and when not a soul was listening, she offered what help she could to the weak and helpless, working with her sister, Inez to find homes for the freed slaves of Walled.

Croquembouche, however, was her family's gift to her, a little dragon of her own. She loved the fancy flit with all her heart, and doted upon her with extreme care. the fancy flits hide was soft to touch from her nightly oiling, her belly a perfect shape of round from her frequent feedings, and, judging by how the 'lizard draped her head over Amuderudalya's shoulder as the baker stroked her crown of feathers, very loved by the fair woman.

"...My gossamer is just a tiny thing compared to my other pets but he can shriek like nothing else if he feels threatened."

Gossamer? The name sounded familiar, though Amuderudalya was not absolutely certain she knew what I'ent spoke of. Yet she did not speak immediately, for she sensed that I'ent had much more to say.

"The sound alone keeps my two flits away from him. He doesn't do that as much any more as Shimmer and Glow know better than to bother him or Ancient. I never thought I would ever own a pet and there was only a short period in my childhood when I wondered what it would be like to own a fighting canine. Then things became too hard and any thought of a pet was out of the question. At least till I came here and saw how useful Locke's pet was and when somebody was handing out Fancy Flit eggs for free...I took the opportunity to get one. It still amazes me people here just give them out for nothing. If I had fancy flit eggs back at Walled, I could have lived for months comfortably by selling a clutch worth of eggs."

It saddened her to hear about his darker times, but Amuderudalya also recognised that I'ent not come from the happiest of backgrounds, and knew she would have to both understand and accept that if she was to better get to know him. Though it would take time for her to better know I'ent, she was more than willing to be patient, to earn his trust and friendship if only because such things were so precious to her.

His interest in Croquembouche, did not go missed by her, earning him a small smile as she saw him eye the dark hide with its starry speckles. What he thought, she did not know, but she felt perhaps even a bit proud over how he admired her.

"I'll call Shimmer and Glow here, though they likely want treats if I do.. in fact do you have any scrap meat lying around? Glow's likely to be hungry when he shows up, he sleeps most of the day so I feed him at night. Shimmer will want snacks unless she's already stuffed her face on something she hunted herself."

"Yes, I have some around. We always keep a bowl for when someone comes staggering in with a rocking egg." She attempted to stand, but her fancy flit suddenly clung to her like a massive weight, and dug her claws into Amuderudalya's shoulders. Reaching up, she attempted to pluck the little claws out of her skin, and untangle them from her shawl. "Dearest, dearest, you need to let go," she asked as calmly as she could of the fancy flit who now twined her twin tails about the bakers thin waist. "Uhoh, help!" she laughed, not at all in distress, though certainly in need of an extra set of hands as she tried to pry the fancy flit off. "I don't think she wants to be put down." Yet Amuderudalya had every intention of setting her down, and with a bit of work, using hands to lift up delicate claws, and unwind unruly tails, she somehow managed to set Croquembouche back down tot he ground. Never mind those big sad eyes the fancy flit gazed up at her with. Though a touch of guilt reached her, Amuderudalya would not let it stop her from fetching those meat scraps for her.

After a quick check in the oven to monitor her pastries (perhaps five more minutes, she thought to herself), she walked off towards the cold storage. Croquembouche padded after her, and waited patiently as the baker reached in to procure that which I'ent requested. When she attempted to walk back, however, she nearly caught the fancy flit underfoot. "Woah!" she gasped only to look at the fancy flit with a narrow of her eyes and the slightest smirk. "You need to be more careful, dearest," she chuckled to the fancy flit before walking back around her and returning to I'ent. "Here you go. I didn't know how much you would want, but I thought this might do the trick. Also... what's a gossamer?" The term had buzzed in her thoughts ever since he uttered it, and now she was genuinely curious to find out.

LdyPayne

Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:51 am

Croquembouche looked so huge draped over Dalya's petite form making I'ent think if the flit grew any larger Dalya could ride her like any of the smaller dragons. Maybe not actually fly but from the looks of her I'ent thought she may be ridable like a small Runner. Either way it was clear she could be a handful as clearly shown when Dalya struggled to put Croquembouche down so she could fetch some meat scraps.

"Ah, I could..." I'ent began, meaning he could get the scraps himself if she just pointed him in the right direction but before he could Dalya asked for a hand. It appeared she hadn't meant it as she managed to get her flit back on the ground before I'ent could push past his sudden uneasiness of touching a woman to help aside and stand. Watching her leave I'ent gave a crocked smile. Out of all the women he had met I'ent had talked to her far more than most and definitely more about his pets. Maybe he was just getting used to talking to women or perhaps the fact this one knew Locke and was his friend that put I'ent at ease? Whatever the reason the greenrider didn't dwell too much upon it.

"Oh this is plenty, thanks," he responded when Dalya returned with the meat. He pulled it over closer to where he was sitting then looked up when he asked what a gossamer was. I'ent thought everybody knew what they were but realized they were still relatively new and he never noticed anybody giving their eggs out.

"Gossamers are little lizard like things, two sets of wings and six legs," I'ent answered. "They come from tiny little eggs, a bunch were being raffled off during a big Gather at Evanoria Weyr," he paused as he tried to think back on how long ago that was. It was after Shireth was mature but before he and Locke became intimate for the first time thanks to Shireth deciding to rise to Mate while he and Locke were out gathering herbs for the needy at Walled Hold. "It must be close to five Turns ago now. I didn't get mine at that time but I did get Ancient from the raffle. They had two strange clutches of eggs, one belonging to the Gossamers and the other to Basilisks, which are a sort of wingless lizard with feathers. Pretty interesting creatures."