The Art of Skiving <Tag K'rin/Marvealle

The main, central area of the Weyr, since it's no longer a "bowl" like before, people have taken to calling it the courtyard, or more often, the Weyr Yard. Dragons land and take off here while people walk from building to building going along their daily duties.
LdyPayne
Tag Status:

Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:13 am

It was a bright and beautiful day with barely a cloud in the sky with a breeze off the ocean just strong enough to keep the bitting flies away and cool the sweat off his skin. In other ways it was a perfect day for being out on the beach doing as little actual 'work' as possible. V'say was suppose to be checking in with Weyrfolk to see if any needed messages delivered to anywhere within New Atricis's Protectorate or transport to the same but instead his plan was to sneak off and do fun stuff instead. The only real snag with his plan was his far more duty oriented dragon.

It wasn't easy tricking Sioriarth, in fact given he shared minds with the bronze it was virtually impossible. Dragon bonding lessons during Weyrlinghood taught him how to keep some part of his mind separate inorder not to become lost in the bond which could happen but that didn't mean Sioriarth didn't learn ways to warm into the 'hidden' areas of his mind. So he had to at least have some legitimate job which he could use as an excuse then hopefully he could convince the bronze they've done their work for the rest of the day.

V'say didn't want ot risk asking around the Lower Caverns as he knew news spread fast and if one person realized he was on Message Duty again, half the Weyr would have messages he'll need to deliver and that could take the entire day. Once Sioriarth knew he had many messages the bronze wouldn't let him just dump the lot Between and only deliver one or two then have the rest of the day off. He was still pondering how to get one message to deliver to satisfy his bronze's sense of duty without risking having his entire day occupied running messages all over Pern when he spotted somebody from his Weyrling group. Maybe having a co-conspirator will make the challenge easier and they could catch up while enjoying a wonderful day at the beach. Not that he knew K'rin well enough to know for sure if she'll go for it or not but at least catching up on clutchmate would pass some time.

"Hey K'rin, long time no see," V'say called out as he made his way towards her. "What'll you been up to all this time?"
Marvealle
Site Admin
Title: Foxy Prince
Pronouns: Any
Tag Status: Open

Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:52 am

Wing drills had been held early in the morning that day, leaving the Wing with the rest of the day free while the leaders of the Wing took care of their own business. K'rin didn't complain. She was happy for these days, the ones where she had extra free time where she could duck out of Dragonrider duties for a while. Even better because today was a perfect day, it'd be a shame to have to spend it busy with Wing drills or other such work. She didn't hate work, not at all, but to take a break from it on such a nice day was the perfect opportunity.

K'rin was out in the Weyr Yard with Jenneth, checking over the green's straps carefully. She ran fingers across the straps, over the sewn connections, and the metal rings, checking for wear on the straps. It was then someone called out, also grabbing Jenneth's attention who turned his head toward the person. K'rin also turned to look, then smiled at the familiar face approaching.

"Hey V'say," she greeted happily with a smile. "Me? Mostly just Wing stuff, got through with Wing Drills early this morning, so I'm taking the rest of the day." She then leisurely leaned against Jenneth's side casually.

"How've you been? That bronze of yours keeping you busy?" She chuckled here, remembering how Sioriarth could be at times.
~..:: Character Tracker & Plotter | Marks Tracker ::..~
Image ~..:: Dragonfolk ::..~ Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ~..:: Wherfolk & Dayfolk ::..~ Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image ~..:: Pearlfolk & Weyrfolk ::..~ Image
Image Image Image
Note to Everyone: I'm often open to chat and plot with! You can find me on Discord under Marvealle#5611
Site Avatar art by Naomi Lord
LdyPayne
Tag Status:

Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:17 pm

"Doing alright here, keeping busy and all that," V'say responded. He looked up at the forest green dragon and gave her a nod. V'say always thought she was a very pretty green especially how the patterns on her sides looked so much like a calm lake lined with trees. "You're looking very pretty Jenneth today too and deserve a day of rest just as K'rin does."

Looking back at K'rin V'say nodded, "Yep, he certainly has, in fact he would have me running around all over Pern as we speak if it wasn't due to the fact a certain greenrider standing before me didn't need my help down at the beach." Y'say winked then moved in close so he could whisper in K'rin's ear. "Just go along with it so we can spend the rest of this fine day enjoying the beach." Leaning away he returned to a normal speaking voice, "I heard you needed my help combing the beaches for special shells and if we're lucky a firelizard clutch or two. You know me I'm always willing to help out a friend."

Sioriarth glanced over at where his rider was talking to the rider of one of his clutchmates and could sense V'say was up to something. Flicking his tail he decided he best get down there and see just what was going on. Spreading his bronze wings he glided down from where he had been enjoying the sun till it was time to get to work. He was well aware V'say was on Messenger duty and V'say was suppose to be rounding up messages needing to be delivered so they could get to work. From what he could see the boy doing now it looked more like he was just socializing with friends.

<I do hope you are seeing if my clutchmate's rider needs a message delivered and not avoiding your duties,> Sioriarth said firmly as he landed neatly not too far away. He looked over at Kenneth and gave her a brief acknowledgement. Unlike some other bronzes he didn't feel much desire to chase greens then again he had been purposely avoiding chasing any female since his rider wasn't comfortable with the idea as yet. He won't put it off forever but for now he felt no hardship resisting the urge.

V'say hadn't expected Sioriarth to show up when he did but he hoped K'rin caught his meaning and went along with the ploy. "I haven't found any messages for us to deliver Sioriarth but K'rin here has asked for my help and we might as well help her than just hang around here hoping somebody would need a message done. Work is work no matter what kind right?"

Sioriarth tucked his tail in close to his body as he sat proudly, turning his head to study the greenrider thoughtfully. He wasn't big on communicating with the riders of other dragons or nonriders as it was but he didn't have any issue addressing another's dragon. <If your rider needs the boy's help then I won't prevent him from assisting.>
Marvealle
Site Admin

Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:13 pm

K’rin raised a brow at V’say when he suddenly went on about the greenrider, that would be her, needing his help today. K’rin hadn’t mentioned anything, but didn’t immediately question what V’say was talking about past the way she raised an eyebrow at him. When he leaned in and whispered, she grinned, but bit her lip to keep from spilling the beans as V’say continued with his bit. K’rin nodded.

”That’s right, I was thinking of looking for ‘lizard clutches on the coast,” she lied right along with V’say, making Jenneth perk up curiously.

*Really? I didn't know you wanted to do that today.* Jenneth questioned, sounding a little suspicious to K’rin. K’rin just grinned back at him, nodding.

”Yeah, thought it might be fun, and I could really use someone else to help out.” She said aloud for V’say’s benefit, smiling back at him. Jenneth, whether he was convinced or not, went with it, not choosing to argue and not realizing fully that V’say had other things he should be doing. Even if he did, Jenneth probably wouldn’t have intervened much anyways.

The bronze arrived then, magnificent in size and wingspan as he landed. K’rin had admittedly once seen herself on a brown, but now that she was with Jenneth she wouldn’t have it any other way. Still, Soriarth was definitely a beast to be admired.

”Yeah, I think some of the older Weyrlings already got to the messages today,” K’rin lied for V’say, totally committed to the bit now.

*That's what K'rin says, yes. She needs help looking along the coast for eggs and other things.* Jenneth responded neutrally, whether or not he actually believed it was a mystery, but if he didn’t believe them, he wasn’t going to out them to Soriarth at least.

”I was just checking up on Jenneth’s straps to make sure they’re safe for a trip between to the coast. They seem to check out fine.”
Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Note to Everyone: I'm often open to chat and plot with! You can find me on Discord under Marvealle#5611
LdyPayne
Tag Status:

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:50 pm

V'say grinned eagerly when K'rin backed him up as smoothly as though they had rehersed the plan together earlier. He glanced over at Sioriarth to try and guess whether he was buying it but at the moment the bronze seemed focused on K'rin and her green.

"I certainly am free to help look for clutches, in fact it could mean a new firelizard for all of us," V'say responded. In truth he already had enough firelizards especially since he just picked up a couple new pets recently. "Whenever you're ready we can mount up and get going K'rin."

He gave her a grateful look followed by a smile when she added the older Weyrlings likely took care of messages already which was a great excuse not to have any to do himself. V'say made a mental note to keep this tidbit of information for future use.

Sioriarth wasn't 100% convinced but knew the only way he could varify was to make inquires personally among the Weyrfolk to see if any had messages. As much as he was reluctant to let V'say get away with shirking his responsibilities he couldn't force others to give the boy work or assume he was being lied to by others. Besides he had never known Jenneth to be one who lied or shirked from duty herself. He nodded towards her before addressing her and their riders.

<Verywell, helping our clutchmate find a firelizard clutch is a suitable job, at least till a more appropriate duty comes up. Still it may be better to fill Firestone sacks or at least check to ensure enough is in stock,>

For a moment V'say felt his heart sink, worrying Sioriarth will end up checking with the Weyrlingmaster's dragon to see if help would be needed on that task but he realized Sioriarth had already agreed to him helpign K'rin. "I'm sure the Weyrlingmaster would have requested our help if he needed it, but K'rin needs my help so we best get going right?"

>As I said, it's a suitable job. Mount up then, the sooner started the quicker the task will be done. Sioriarth shifted onto all fours and crouched down to make it easier for V'say to climb up onto his back.

V'say didn't take long to climb up, his natural flexibility and 2 Turns or so being a rider giving him the strength required to climb up his dragon's side. He settled himself into his seat and attached the flying straps, doubting he would need them for such a short trip but knew Sioriarth wouldn't leave till he did anyway. Once he was ready he looked over at K'rin and gave her a thumbs up. Sioriarth stepped back to give the green wing-room and waited for her to launch first before joining her in the air a few moments later.

Not long later they were flying over a cove not too far away from the Weyr but far enough away to lessen the chances Weyrfolk hadn't already searched for clutches there. V'say signaled they could land and the bronze headed down first. Being much larger than his green clutchsister he needed far more room to land and it made sense for him to go first. Once down he folded his wings and moved closer to the water to give the green space and lessen the chances of landing on any clutches. He did notice wild firelizards in the area but they had scattered as soon as he started descending.

V'say slid down Sioriarth's neck and headed over to K'rin as soon as she and Jenneth landed. Looking around he was amazed at how thick the nearby jungle was and how white the sands were. "What a beautiful place, I bet we can find a clutch easy here...then we'll have to swim to clean off all the sand and sweat."

ooc: I hope it's alright I moved them to the cove.. if not just let me know and I can edit.
Marvealle
Site Admin

Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:43 am

It seemed it was easy to get the dragons to go along with it, even if there was a moment of hesitation where it seemed V'say might still need to convince his beast. Soon it was confirmed they would be going though, and with a flash of an impish grin, K'rin gave one of Jenneth's straps a playful yank before climbing up, an easy task given Jenneth was a green, though V'say made it look like boarding the larger bronze was a breeze as well. She chuckled at the sight, but then donned her flight goggles and signaled V'say and then Jenneth for flight.

Jenneth leaped into the air first when it was clear the larger bronze waited for him, a good thing since he was smaller and took up less air space. His wings also disturbed less of the air, making his takeoff and initial wingbeats less of a burden on the larger wings of Sioriarth. It seemed V'say may have had a place in mind to go searching, a good enough place that they could possibly find a clutch, maybe, so that should keep the dutiful bronze happy they were working instead of playing the day away. Even if K'rin really was hoping to find a clutch of eggs, he wouldn't complain about the work in this case. Combing the beach was definitely not a bad way to spend a day.

Once it was clear to land, Jenneth did, letting K'rin down as soon as the dust and sand settled around them. He took off his goggles, clipping them to a carabiner clip on Jenneth's straps for such a reason. He paid it little mind, looking around curiously at the cove they had landed in, watching the last dots of the wild flitts fleeing into the sky and jungle. Here, Jenneth looked like he truly belonged, his color the shade of the jungle plants, and his markings almost looking like camouflage. K'rin would have thought Jenneth was a jungle predator had he not known any better.

K'rin chuckled at V'say, nodding. "Yeah, this is a great place," he agreed, still grinning. "Let's get to it then, we can look for a bit, make sure there aren't any eggs to step on by accident." He gestured along the beach of near-white sand. "We might even see some dolphins, wouldn't that be something," he finished with a good natured smile. Already, it didn't look like there were any clutches laying about that were obvious, but K'rin was going to put up a front of looking at least long enough so it wasn't so obvious they had deceived Sioriarth.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image
LdyPayne
Tag Status:

Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:08 pm

The cove was pristine and beautiful, the perfect place to spend such a fine day, V'say couldn't have picked a better place. Having K'rin along for company just made it perfect. V'say would have had just as much fun being here alone but with K'rin around it would certainly ensure the fun could only be better.

"We certainly wouldn't want to crush any clutches if we can avoid it," V'say agreed, tossing his helmet, gloves and riding jacket in the nearest patch of shade he could spot. He didn't care if he got sand in them, all he cared about was getting out of the wherhide which was far too warm to be wearing on a nice day like this. He quickly followed these with his boots and socks, preferring to walk along the sand bare foot, something he always preferred whenever practical.

Flipping over onto his hands he walked on his hands till he caught up with K'rin before tumbling over onto his feet again. "It'll be great to see some dolphins, in fact after we make sure this area of beach is clear of any clutches we should cool off in the ocean before checking further along the beach."

"If we do find a clutch, we definitely should keep a few for ourselves. Or you should at least, I have four flits already and I don't think Sioriarth would approve of me Impressing a fifth." V'say wouldn't mind having more but even he could see 5 may be too much to handle on top of his other duties. Then again he would rather spend time with firelizards than doing boring drills or patrol sweeps.
Marvealle
Site Admin

Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:07 am

"That's a great idea," K'rin said when V'say had removed extra layers, including his boots. He followed suit, getting rid of his riding jacket in favor for the plain shirt he wore underneath and his boots and socks for bare feet as well. The sand was warm and somehow soft too. However, when V'say walked on his hands over to him, K'rin laughed at the antic.

"A dip sounds great, but yeah, 'duty' first," he said with a serious nod, resisting glancing over at Sioriarth. When V'say mentioned possibly keeping one if they did find a clutch, he nodded in agreement.

"Wow, four flits? That must be a handful," he commented before starting to glance along the beach now at least somewhat seriously, genuinely to make sure there weren't any eggs. Even if he didn't think they really would find any, he didn't want to cause any undue harm to any if they were along the beach.

"How does one wind up with four? Did you have them all before Sioriarth," he asked as a means of light conversation while they combed the sand for now. Jenneth, further up on the beach, happily found a spot to lay down and sun himself on the warm sand and sun.

Image x1
Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image
LdyPayne
Tag Status:

Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:33 pm

"They can be challenging but really, once they are a Turn old they can take care of themselves for the most part." V'say still fed and oiled his pets but he knew they often caught their own food or cleaned up after Sioriarth when he was done eating.

"I had Chuckle and Giggle for nearly seven Turns now," V'say replied, indicating his blue and amethyst firelizards. "Sparkles I gained from a handout not too long ago, she's still pretty young. My last pet isn't a firelizard, but one of those water lizards brought back from that island the Pearlriders discovered. He's much more trickier to care for but at least its thriving as far as I can tell."

He had made a special enclosure for the finned lizard creature which he put together from various things he scrounged. He figured it would like water so used a good sized washed basin which he buried to the rim in dirt. The area around the basin he planted with various plants which looked really nice and Squeak seemed to like it. He put a mesh over it all, supported with a frame, similar to what is used to keep wild wherries away from one's fowl. V'say didn't want the little lizard to get eaten by somebody's firelizard, or his own for that matter.

"I would likely have much more if Sioriarth put his foot down and told me I wasn't to get any more pets. Which means if we do find a clutch, I doubt I can sneak an egg without his noticing. But you certainly can take one or more for yourself. The rest we can just leave so they can hatch and be wild." V'say knew he would try to sneak one egg, maybe claim he'll give it to a friend then 'forget' about it till it hatched.

"Lets walk and see if there are any signs," V'say said as he started walking along the sand. He looked around but in truth he didn't think they would find any. If they did most likely it would be a green's clutch and not really worth taking. If there were any gold clutches nearby he was certain they would have seen her by now, ready to defend her nest.