A Second Attempt is in Order - Kate | A'ric

The Crafter Complex is a series of buildings that contain craft halls and rooms for the crafters of New Atricis to work. There is a single dorm building for apprentices, while journeyman and masters live in second floor rooms in their respective crafts. Off to the side from the complex is the largest building, the Infirmary, where everyone in the Weyr receives Healer attention and desk workers keep track of who comes and goes at the entrance to the Infirmary.
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them
Tag Status: Permission Needed, otherwise Closed

Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:52 pm

”What? No adjustments? Well that’s good to hear. Means I can get it a bit quicker, and I would assume it means a little less work for the two of you as well.”

No adjustments at all, at least not from what Novandra could see. Everything fit so perfectly on him, enough to make her realise she needed to focus more on her work than on him. Of course, the tailor would likely disapprove, for they would be the one to decide whether or not A'ric needed adjustments, but from what Novandra saw, there were certainly no complaints. The tunic accented his broad build nicely just before it tapered about his hips...

Before he might catch her, Novandra slipped her quill to her book, as though to write a note or two.

”I do. I actually love the way this feels. I didn’t think I would but it is actually very comfortable.”

She offered a kind smile, but did her best not to say anything more lest she say something that might give her away or come off as horribly offensive. Once more, she reminded herself that she was in a working environment, therefore she needed to mind herself.

”So which page should I be looking at if I like what I have on?”

Her dark eyes tilted back up to her, curious as to what it was he meant. "Did you want to see examples of vests to go with it?" she asked for clarification. Eyes turned back to her book, and she did in fact write one last line on the leaf before she returned her quill to the well and stepped back up to him. Already, Satin fluttered ahead and landed near the bronzerider, if only to look at the pretty colours of the pages he looked at. The weaver tightened her shawl about her shoulders as she reached over to shoo the firelizard away and reach for a page. "The images are a bit scattered, and the colouring different but...-" she flipped several pages "-these images have the tunic you are wearing, and these are some of the vest and jerkins they've paired the tunic with."
Kate
Tag Status:

Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:29 am

A’ric could not stop the blush that once again made its way to his face as he sounded like an incompetent idiot once again. Yes, that was what he had meant, but it had come out wrong. Of course, he was embarrassed by it, but he quickly reminded himself that he had no experience with this kind of stuff, and really had no idea what he was talking about in general when it came to this.

If he had caught her looking at him though, he probably would have blushed even harder. Not because it made him uncomfortable or anything like that. It was mostly just because he never really thought of himself like that. Honestly he was not the type of guy to really think much about his appearance. That much was pretty obvious at the state of his clothes. So it always just felt a little weird to him when he caught people starring at him.

Although all of this had went through his. One if only a moment, to him it seemed as though it had taken a bit longer. Nodding he said, ”Yes, that’s what I meant.” For a moment he just kept looking at the pictures, hoping that it would also help him pick out a color he likes better than the one he had I. Right now, he wasn’t sure what that color was, but he hoped by looking at the book he would be able to figure it out.

Studying the pictures, he determined that he liked the way the vests looked, but he found himself wondering if he should get a jerkin as well. That way he would have one of each, and would have a bit more of a choice. There were a few he liked, and so he met himself ponder it for a moment. ”Do I need to mark which ones I like, it just tell you and the tailor?”
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Shaihulud

Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:28 pm

If Novandra noticed his embarrassment and his blush, she gave no indication as she fingered through the leaves and marked the pages for A'ric to return to as he pleased.

”Yes, that’s what I meant.”

She gave a nod, though if he feared ridicule, he had no reason to fear. He was not the only client to stumble about their crafthall with absolutely no inkling over what to choose and where to go. If anything, his behaviour in that regard was about to be expected, especially from a man who rarely visited her halls.

”Do I need to mark which ones I like, it just tell you and the tailor?”

"If you just tell me, I can retrieve them from our selection if their available, and you can try them on here." Brown eyes turned up to him, a kindness easily found there. There was no reason to make his situation more difficult than it had to be. With a final nod, she pointed to the one that seemed to draw his attention the most. "Did you want me to get this one for you?"

Before A'ric could speak, the tailor announced his presence with a clap of his hands to grab both their attentions. "Sorry for the delay, but I do have those trousers for you to try on."

The sound startled Novandra... only for her to realise how close she stood next to the bronzerider. Suddenly mindful of her proximity to A'ric, she side stepped and averted her eyes. "My apologies," she quickly stated for A'ric's ears alone. She realised it looked bad for her to be so close. Rather than fan the flames of gossip, she returned back to her logs to jot down several notes.

The tailor, named Dakel, was quick to slip to A'ric's side. "Now, what do you think you've found? And that tunic makes you look very smart. Good choice. Will you go with that colour? If not, our weaver here, Novandra, can easily find a better fabric for you. Honestly, that colour is decent, though I thought it would look better in a silver... wouldn't you say Nova?"

Novandra had done her best to let the tailor take over, and quietly hide her disappointment from the sudden interruption. Honestly, Dakel really should have used his inside voice. She peeked up from her log books and gave a nod before returning to her work.
Kate
Tag Status:

Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:21 pm

A small smirk made its way onto his face as Novandra answered him. Of corse, he honestly should have expected that that was how it was going to work. It seemed to him that Nova was almost capable of being the tailor. Obviously she had a good head on her shoulders, especially when it came to the clothing and color and everything. For the briefest moment, he found himself wondering why she wasn’t the tailor. Was it because they didn’t think she was ready? Or did she just choose not to be?

Quickly, he tried to push those thoughts out of his mind, knowing they were thoughts that he didn’t really have any use to be thinking. Luckily for him, the young woman’s voice broke through and brought his focus back to the task at hand. Unfortunately, before he could say anything, they both were startled by the sound of the tailor. Dark eyes glanced at the young woman, not even really comprehending how close the two of them had just been. Well, not until she spoke to him and only him. Nodding and giving her a soft smile he said quickly, ”No need to apologize. I would love to see it though if you have the chance.”

Dark eyes moved to Dakel as the man spoke quickly and without seeming to take a breath, or at least that was what it seemed like to bronze rider anyway. Honestly, A’ric didn’t even have a chance to answer the questions before there was another question being asked of him.

Finally he said, ”Yes, I do like this one, although I have to admit that I’m not a HUGE fan of the color, but I also know that the color could probably be worse. If you think the silver would look better, I don’t have a problem trying it on.”

Finally the man quieted down slightly, and A’ric looked at the weaver and said, ”I think I still need to try a jerkin on, right?”
Shaihulud

Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:23 pm

For all she continued to second guess her proximity to him, and whether or not he had noticed (shards but she hoped he had not!), she still did recall that he did indeed want that jerkin that had caught his eye. At least he was focused enough on the entire to miss her closeness entirely, she thought.

As her finger ran down the log to see what merchandise that had brought out for A'ric, for she sought the jerkin that had caught his eye, he and Dakel conversed about A'ric's preferences. She tried to pay attention only when required, but she had hopes of finding...

”I think I still need to try a jerkin on, right?”

Brown eyes shot up to him, and she gave a nod with the softest smile. "Yes, I am just making sure we have one for you to try, and I do believe I am right in thinking we do."

"Jerkin? What Jerkin?" asked Dakel curiously.

Novandra stepped away from her desk and made her way across the room. "A'ric saw a jerkin he liked," she explained to the tailor. "We have one in the same cut here for him to try." She made her way over to the jerkins hanging up, and flipped through them. "I believe it's this one," she continued and presented it to the tailor.

He was quick to pluck it from her hands and bring it over to A'ric. "Hmmm... yes I suppose it will do, though I will say you could do better. You're a handsome man with a strong shape. Show it off with a sharp vest or a doublet... not a jerkin like this."[/b] Yet still he handed it over to A'ric.
Kate
Tag Status:

Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:23 pm

While A’ric had indeed noticed how close the two of them had gotten, he chose not to really think about it all that much. Or well, try not to anyway. It wasn’t that it really bothered him or anything like that. Now that he had all of these Flights under his belt, he wasn’t uncomfortable around women anymore. At least, not nearly as much as he had been before. Plus, Kit had kept him on his toes before that. Ah, and there was the reason he wasn’t really trying to pay attention to how close Nova had come to him. While, he did have to admit to himself that she was indeed beautiful, he couldn’t bring himself to say anything or do anything. The bronze rider was not entirely sure that he was ready for another relationship at this point. Sure, eventually he probably would be, but not right now. Right now, it was more just about fun he guessed.

Dark eyes looked up at the tailor as he spoke over them. Glancing around, he could feel himself almost be a bit embarrassed. Why couldn’t he just talk to Nova? She had been the one working with him since the first day on this, and now all of a sudden the tailor anted to be completely involved? Well, better to not let it irritate him then.

The bronze rider could not stop his dark eyes from watching her as she walked over to where all the jerkins were and picked out the one that he had said he liked, presenting it to the tailor. Honestly, the man had not thought the tailor would bring it over, but he guessed it didn’t matter. As the tailor spoke to him, he shrugged and then said, ”I will take that into consideration, thank you.”

Holding it up he studied it a moment before removing his vest and then putting the jerkin on. Grinning a bit foolishly, he turned to the young woman and said, ”So, what do you think? I honestly do think I like the vest better, but I feel like I should have one of each, just as a precaution. So I’m not wearing the exact same thing at every Gather of Feast.”
Shaihulud

Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:47 pm

”I will take that into consideration, thank you.”

The tailor gave a nod and wave. "Well try what you like, and I'll check for final adjustments. Nova, have you shown him all of your lovely textiles?" A smirk came to the tailors face. "She has either picked them out herself, or over seen their creation. Are you still working on that sea silk project?"

Novandra answered with a nod of her own. "Yes, nearly finished with it, I hope."

"Just in time for the baby?" he asked as he took the vest that A'ric shrugged off, and offered the jerkin to him.

"Yes," Novandra answered, though she did not want to say too much.

Dakel gave a shake of his head, for all he smiled. "I hope you are not gone for long. Don't know how I will run this place without you."

"I'm sure you'll manage," she chuckled back in reply. Though Novandra was pleased to know Dakel had grown accustom to her assistance, she also recognised there were at least several other dedicated crafters capable of helping him day to day. "And I'll only be gone for a short while, I assure you." Even as a new mother, Novandra doubted she would be able to keep herself away from her work for long.

"If you say so." It seemed Dakel knew something she did not.

But Novandra honestly believed she would be able to work in a short time. She already cared for one child. Faveonn was under her care now, for Novandra played the part of foster mother to the adolescent since their arrival to New Atricis. Surely, she could manage with a babe as well, and when she could not, there was always the creche and Faveonn to help her.

”So, what do you think? I honestly do think I like the vest better, but I feel like I should have one of each, just as a precaution. So I’m not wearing the exact same thing at every Gather of Feast.”

Much to Novandra's surprise, it was herself rather than his tailor that he asked. For a moment, she could not help but smile and avert her eyes before she finally found the words to answer with. "I think they both make you look very handsome, and we would be happy to make one of each for you."

"Don't be daft, Nova. He is right. The vest is clearly superior." A sigh escaped Dakel. "Though if you truly want a jerkin, I have just the one for you." The man stepped off for a moment and retrieved one that he presented to A'ric. "Bold, I know, but I assure you this is far more suitable for a man such as yourself. Wouldn't you agree, Nova."

Already in her mind's eye, she had imaged the garments donned upon the bronzerider. The image conjured was enough for her to smile and give a nod just before she returned to her books.

"Yes, yes, i see it now. This cut, but black with a dark blue, and a silver tunic. You would be quite the catch at a feast. I'm sure even Nova wouldn't be able to resist," the tailor teased her.

"You truly are awful, Dakel," she chimed back, though there was a jesting note in her voice.

"Aye, that I am, but it doesn't make it any less true, my dear."
Kate
Tag Status:

Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:37 pm

Dark eyes turned to the young woman, one eyebrow cocking ever so curiously. Did she really make her own stuff already? What did the other man mean, had she shown him? While the bronze rider did. It want to embarrass the young woman, but if she had her own designs, he most certainly wouldn’t be against seeing any of them. While A’ric did not really know her, he couldn’t help but feel like he knew that she wasn’t incompetent. Since the two of them had been talking, she had proven time and time again that she did indeed have a good grasp of this.

Admittedly, his attention did get grabbed as the tailor mentioned the baby. Try as he might to not listen, he couldn’t help it. Taking the jerkin from the man, he quickly slid it on, although his eyes had once again moved to Nova as she answered. A’ric did not blame her for not saying much. He knew he probably wouldn’t have either if she had been in her position.

The dragon rider did not miss the look of shock that crossed the young woman’s face, and that made a blush move to his own face. He hadn’t really meant to put her on the spot like that, but he trusted her opinion.

Grinning at her compliment, he looked at himself once again. Usually he didn’t study himself like this, because he never really cared. Today he found that he did seem to be caring a bit more.

Looking at the one that the tailor gave him, he shrugged a bit and said, ”Honestly, I think this is a bit to flashy for me. I’m more of a non flashy kind of guy. I really don’t like drawing attention to myself that much.” A’ric knew how the words sounded, they sounded weird. He didn’t care though, he knew he had to be honest about things.
Shaihulud

Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:32 pm

Novandra was still chuckling over Dakel's horribleness, for honestly, the man did not relent in his attempts to push Novandra towards all sorts of men. He knew her circumstances, understood the fact the father of her unborn child was practically non-existent, but it did not settle well with him that she was left on her to raise the child. You're a beautiful woman. I'm sure there is a good man out there for you. Ever since finding out about her fatherless circumstances, Dakel could always be counted upon to point at a good looking man and asked the inevitable: What about him?

Why did she have a feeling he was going to do the same once A'ric left?

”Honestly, I think this is a bit too flashy for me. I’m more of a non flashy kind of guy. I really don’t like drawing attention to myself that much.”

"Oh, pishposh!" the tailor replied. "Our job is to make you look smart. Let us do our job. Nova, talk some sense into him!"

The weaver gave a shake of her head... and yet she was smiling. "Dakel, I think you should listen to what A'ric wants... though... Dakel is right. It looks very nice on you." It was all she would concede to.

Dakel gave a sigh before looking back to A'ric. "Honestly, what am I could to do with you... both of you." He shook his head before he continued. "At least try it with a pair of trousers, give it one last chance. If you truly don't like it-" his hand flourished in the air, expressing his irritation "-Then we will try something else."
Kate
Tag Status:

Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:17 am

Dark eyes looked once again between the tailor and the young woman, and he couldn’t help but smile ever so softly. Honestly, he didn’t know what to think about it. Maybe that was because he never really thought much about anything like that. There was just something about this that was, awkward, but, comfortable at the same time. That was really the part that he didn’t really understand, but he decided that he should probably pay attention to what was being said.

So it seemed he was outnumbered, but he found that he didn’t care. Nova said he should pick out his own stuff, and while he agreed, it was nice to know that Nova agreed that he looked good in it. That got him thinking again and he eventually decided that he might actually like it.

As he heard the tailor’s suggestion, he nodded quickly and turned to Nova with a bit of a red tinge coming to his face. ”I’m sorry this is taking so long. Would you mind terribly getting me a pair of trousers? I should probably at least do as he says and try it out.”[/ b]