Free to be Me || Open

The main, central area of the Weyr, since it's no longer a "bowl" like before, people have taken to calling it the courtyard, or more often, the Weyr Yard. Dragons land and take off here while people walk from building to building going along their daily duties.
Lanni
Pronouns: She/Her

Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:08 pm

As the refugees from Igen settled into New Atricis, there was one not-so recent arrival that held a certain amount of fear about the newer folk. If she was honest with herself it was a certain individual that was the holder of her thoughts but for once the girl was too cowardly to go searching out the man who raised her. Tralexi knew that the man held no true power of her any longer but turns of habits and fears were hard to erase by a simple change in life-paths. As a hopeful candidate for the interesting DayWhers, there was little that her father could do to her now. S'ian had tried to reinforce this knowledge in his half-sister but with his new scheduling and bonding with his new peers the blue rider rarely found time for her.

A few days after most of the refugees had settled in, a familiar face tracked down the young woman that had escaped Igen before the disaster. A healer like herself and her father, the older woman was happy to see that the girl had found a new niche in life... even if it came with a great cost. Hoping that if the news came from a co-worker- if not a friend- that it would somehow soften the blow. After a few minutes of beating around the bush, the healer-woman finally gave Tralexi the sad news.

Her father hadn't survived.

While the older woman wasn't sure what exactly had taken Tralian's life, she hoped that the younger healer could start fresh in New Atricis without the shadows of the past lingering. Keeping her thoughts to herself, Lexi could only nod before the other healer gave the candidate a hug and a bid to keep in touch.

So, here Lexi was, a few hours after the news was broken to her, staring at the beast-pens trying to figure out how she should feel about this new turn of events. A very small part of her missed her father. The part that still remembered the brief happy moments they shared before things turned sour. Another part of her was mad. Angry that the man had escaped justice and would never pay for the pain that he had inflicted on her.

The largest part though? The side of her thoughts that she wanted to listen to the most, was glad that the man was gone. Even in her private thoughts, Tralexi had begun to distance herself from the thought that Tralian the abuser and Father the kind man she once knew were two different people. In her mind there was only the fact that Tralian wasn't around to torment her any more.

She was free.

That single thought, that blessed hopeful thought, was the brightest thing to come from the mad escape she and S'ian had accomplished. As that small thought grew brighter and bigger, so did the smile on Lexi's face. Soon her cheeks began to hurt from the unfamiliar stretch of a wide grin. However the ache only brought a giggle from her lips. It was quiet at first, barely enough to cause Jac to lift his head from her shoulder. It didn't take long for that little giggle to grow and become a full on belly laugh that startled her friend off her shoulder.

Doubling over from the stitch forming in her side, Lexi began to hope. With Tralian gone and S'ian to back her in whatever dreams she could come up with, could she truly begin a new life here? Was there a place, a better place, for Tralexi the healer and DayWher hopeful to truly belong?

Gasping for air around her belly-laugh, Lexi didn't notice that she wasn't alone any more. Jac's trilled greeting barely registered as the brunette struggled to keep on her feet.
Berry

Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:15 pm

The weyr was packed full of people. The Igen refugees were barely settled in, if it could even be called that. Most were stuck ill in tents in the weyr yard as the fever was treated and what not. It was a nuisance. At least it was only temporary until Igen was all sorted and the transfers settled into their weyrs.

Theran couldn't help but approach each of them with a tad of suspicion. They'd already gone through so much and he felt a tad guilty for it but... at least one of them was bound to make some sort of trouble for Atricis. Tempers flared easily once the immediate threat was over. It paid to be vigilant... and also to make sure the weyr had a steady supply of wine and ale to keep everyone occupied.

The sound of laughter pulled Theran's attention away from his thoughts. Ludus perked up from where he'd been napping on his masters should. The dark colored fur flitt perked his ears in the direction of a young woman. The laughter was a belly laugh by the time he noticed but had quickly changed into one that edged on hysteria.

Theran frowned, worry nipping at him. He didn't know the woman so for all he knew she was prone to such behavior but that was unlikely. His gut told him to check on her and he did.

"Hey, care to clue an old man into what's so funny over here?" Theran joked, trying to not make things to awkward. As far as he could tell there was nothing unusual nearby and no one was scuttling away like some sort of guilty toddler. Hopefully it wasn't anything to major. Theran was a vitner, not a mind healer. He was entirely out of his element when it came to hysteria.
Lanni

Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:54 am

Tralexi was still trying to recover from her stitch when a masculine voice broke into her thoughts. Blinking her hazel eyes, the young woman tried to clear her vision from the moisture her laughter had brought. Slowly pulling herself up to stand, Lexi tried to figure out what to tell the stranger. A few more moments of hesitation finally brought a solution to the logical thinking healer.

"Have you ever felt so free that the whole world feels new? So happy about a single thought that nothing else seems to matter any more?" She asked in an awed tone. "I think I felt it for the first time today... Something... unexpected happened and now my whole life has changed!" She admitted throwing her arms out wide in an uncharacteristically childish move. Even Jac twittered excitedly from his new perch on her head. Trilling his own happiness at his friend's joy, the blue began to nuzzle the girl's hair.

A fresh wave of giggles left Lexi then as a hand came up to pet her blue. A steadying breath lifted her shoulders again as she tried to center her emotions again before turning a bright smile towards the stranger who came to check on her. "I'm sorry, did I interrupt your day? I didn't mean to distract anyone else with my emotional outburst." Old phrasing came from Tralexi's lips even as she scolded herself mentally about her old habits. What she didn't realize was that she was bracing herself for the backlash she had been so used to receiving as she tried to square her shoulders and hide her emotions from her features once more.
Berry

Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:54 pm

Theran kept watching the young woman with concern, especially when she was struggling to stand. He reached out to help steady her but she had it under control. Then she began to speak and his fears were somewhat sated. Mainly because yes he had actually had that feeling before.

After he'd been cut loose from his "master" and left the organization, there had been such an overwhelming rush of freedom. No one to give him orders and while in the future it might all change, the threat of death and mutilation wasn't an option anymore. Theran had stood at the base of the rapids with a banged up knee and had just laughed for a few minutes.

Theran smiled softly nodding his head toward his companion. "Believe it or not, I have felt that feeling before. It's pretty great." He chuckled, amused by her actions. At first he'd been afraid that she was going hysteric and was upset to be forced into such a new place. It was a time of change and tensions were high after all. "That feeling will come up a few more times in your first weeks at Atricis, trust me. There's just something open and liberating at this place. Kind of like starting your life over again or some such."

Theran shook his head at her apology, "You didn't keep me from anything. I'm just a humble vitner walking around. My name is Theran by the way and it's pleasure to meet you." Her smile was so wide and bright... he bet that worked on most people but there was something about the edges of it. He lifted his mental wards of his empathy. There was joy but also fear, though he couldn't tell just what the fear was of. Either way that was concerning. "Emotional outbursts of that sort are okay, you're going to a lot right now. At least I assume. Are you sure you're alright though?"