Worst Way To Meet [Ember]

The main, central area of the Weyr, since it's no longer a "bowl" like before, people have taken to calling it the courtyard, or more often, the Weyr Yard. Dragons land and take off here while people walk from building to building going along their daily duties.
Tyriani
Title: Character Hoarder
Pronouns: She/Her

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:32 am

Well, this was definitely not the way that Sul'tek wanted his daughter to come to him. Nor was it the way that he wanted her to meet her grandfather since being a baby. But here he was, being stared down by a chimera dragon who impressed to his daughter while she was sick and depressed. Currently, no matter what he or Basarolth said seemed to be helping with getting Sul'tek to see Surieka. Young one, move aside so that mine can tend to yours. He is her father. He won't harm her, I promise you this. No! He can't be trusted! No one can be trusted! She is not well and not getting better! Calm, please. Being frantic like this is not going to help yourself or your bonded. This seemed to calm the brown-blue long enough for Sul'tek to go past him and to his sickly daughter.

"Sharding idiots letting you on the sands." The words escaped him the moment he looked at her. He sat down in the chair beside her and he stroked her hair. It was greasy and oily, something that was going to happen since she wasn't strong enough to full bath yet. But he knew that she was going to get through it. He could feel the look of the chimera on him as he stayed by his daughter, but Sul'tek made a small movement by Surieka's feet to make room for the dragon. "Come, lay beside her, it might help you feel better little one." Lamassuth saw the motions and was about to bite Sul'tek, but calmed when he saw what was going on. He waited a moment before he gently got into the bed with her. Sul'tek looked outside the tent opening and at Basarolth.

Don't say anything, I will get your father here. You care for Suri. To say that the brown cared for the girl was an understatement. Basarolth of course had been there when she was first given to Sul'tek to hold. Of course, he didn't remember all of this, but the memories that he could pick from the rider's mind. But the feeling was there when he saw them. The brown looked out and around the Weyr Yard, hoping to see the dragon he wanted to call, but when he saw no hide of his, he still called.

Zenjarth, please do forgive for the intrusion, but Sul'tek would like for you and yours to come here. At the end of his statement, he included a small image of the tent that they were in, of course, even if the image was missed, the brown was still going to be easy to find. It is done, I will let you know when they come. Thank you Basa. The brown simply rumbled a happy response while he made himself comfortable outside of the tent.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Thu May 16, 2019 7:40 am

Hearing the call of the younger dragon, Zenjarth looked away from where he currently had his eyes settled. He watched him for a moment before dipping his head to acknowledge that he had heard, that he understood, and then he listened for his rider who had finally settled somewhere to process some of what had taken place during the day. It was only a brief respite the bronze dragon knew, for L'van would be on his feet again before too long. That meant it was the perfect time to grab him for Basarolth's rider, otherwise there wouldn't be another chance until Faranth knew when.

L'van, if you have a moment... He did not want to bother his rider, not when he knew so much was passing through his mind and everything was still a mess. But this was necessary. Basarolth's rider is seeking us. He is here. The bronze showed his rider an image of the tent, and let out a breath of air, informing his rider he would be there when L'van arrived before gliding to the spot in question. When he arrived, he greeting the brown with a slight puff before folding his wings against his back.

L'van knew it would be best to leave, especially now when he had so much still to do today. If he allowed himself to linger too much in his headspace, it would be difficult to leave it later on. He left the note he'd read far too many times that day and got up to meet his dragon and son. When he reached the space in question, he announced himself outside the tent without going inside, not wishing to intrude, and not certain if Sul'tek was there visiting friends or someone more... personal. "Sul'tek? I'm here."

Please visit the above link for a list of my current
characters, links to their profiles, to see what
they look like, and find other little facts about them!

[ Marks Tracker | Graphics Shop | NPC Archive ]

“You fail only if you stop writing.”
— Ray Bradbury —
Tyriani

Fri May 17, 2019 4:00 am

Sul'tek knew that his father had to be busy, so that fact that he heard his father's voice, he couldn't help but sigh in slight relief. He walked over to the tent's entrance and he looked at his father. If this would have been better circumstance, he probably would have smiled, but alas, they were not. Suri was still sleeping at the moment, so he held a finger to his lips as if to say to whisper. "There is someone here who you haven't seen in a few turns, father." He opened the tent so that the Weyrleader could walk in and he moved to the side, holding it open.

On the bed, it would be a sight. There was a brown-blue chimera laying at the feet of a brown haired woman. With how the dragon was currently acting, there would be no doubt that he belonged to her. Lamassuth didn't say a word, but he did watch the newcomer closely. To say that there was a major breech in trust would be an understatement at the moment. The Chimera trusted no one but Basarolth and Sul'tek, to a degree, while fully trusting Surieka of course.

But, Sul'tek knew the first thing that would come to his father's mind upon seeing the child. "She seems to have gotten the Valley Fever before impressing to Lamassuth here. It has proven to be a bit difficult for them both." Don't forget about the constant thoughts about this "Rifturn" person. Whoever he is, he needs to stop stealing my love and attention. "For the last time Lamassuth, he is..was, my son."

Surieka slowly sat up in the bed as she looked at the Chimera then to L'van. She was weak, and it could be seen on her face, but she tried her best to play it off. She didn't recognize the man right away, and probably wouldn't until introduced, but she knew that he was of importance by his knots. Her mind was telling her that she knew him, she just couldn't place where.
Ember

Fri May 17, 2019 4:06 am

It didn't take L'van long to place a name with the new face. It had been a long time since he'd seen her, Turns in fact. She'd been an infant when last he'd seen her. He recalled when she'd been so tiny she'd been able to fit in his arms and now here she was with a dragon of her own, and one that Igen clearly wouldn't have approved of. No wonder they'd sent her South; even if they wouldn't have, she would have wound up at Atricis regardless thanks to the fever she had. "We'll give her the best, young man." He told the chimera, speaking as gently to him as he could, knowing it would take a while to get through to him in all likelihood. He kept himself at a distance, enough so at least; he recognized a protective personality when he encountered one.

Even so, that didn't stop him from regarding his granddaughter with affection, and a soft sigh. She had grown up, and while he had missed all those Turns, and so much more from the sounds of it, he knew he would be there for quite a bit more now that she was here at the Weyr. He smiled in her direction, and tipped his head towards her. "You don't remember me, but I remember you. You were just a baby when we encountered each other last." He lifted his hand and then introduced himself. "I'm your grandfather, L'van, Weyrleader of New Atricis and rider of bronze Zenjarth."

— Ray Bradbury —
Tyriani

Fri May 17, 2019 4:23 am

Sul'tek took his place over in the corner of the tent. There was enough room for them all, but he knew his father would want to respect Lamassuth's boundaries right now. Surieka was looking at the face, and she smiled when she had heard his name. Lamassuth though, wanted to speak first. You promise she will have the best? I don't have to worry about losing her? I am told that I don't have to protect her from others here, but I will still do so. Surieka placed a soft and gentle hand on the chimera's head as she looked at her grandfather. She couldn't read him, he was a bit like her father in that way, which was probably a good thing anyways.

"Grandfather, I was trying to figure out why you seemed slightly familiar. Even if I don't remember your face from then, my father has spoke greatly of you in our letters." She looked between the men and she smiled weakly, for a split second at least. She looked L'van right in the eyes then, her determination showing under her sickness in those eyes. "We won't go back to Igen, please don't let them take us back. I fear for Lamassuth. We all know how they feel about non-traditional colors." She stopped talking then, and even Sul'tek seemed to be at a loss for words then.

But Surieka wasn't done. "I don't want to leave my family. I don't want to be alone again. And don't say anything like; 'But what of you mother?'. She has not had anything to do with me since I was born, we all know this. But, I can't be alone without my family again. Not only will I need you, but Lamassuth will as well..." She had to stop talking to find her water to take a drink. She had spoken a little speech, and well, Lamassuth felt awkward sitting there. No one talking, no one moving. You know what they say about cliffhangers...
Ember

Fri May 17, 2019 4:40 am

L'van smiled at the young creature, and nodded his reassurances, seeing as how he was being looked at by him. "I promise you, young sir, I will ensure she gets good, care. The best care. She will be healthy before you know it." Physically at least; he had heard what had been said about another younger individual. He couldn't promise that part of her would be sprung back into shape quite as quickly. It always took the mind longer to heal, but he would see to it that the best mindhealers saw to her as well.

When she spoke, and said that her father had said fond things of him, he glanced at Sul'tek and lifted a brow, but said nothing in those regards and really, there wasn't a chance to for other words were coming - worries, concerns, about being sent back to Igen, and he could do nothing more than shake his head and reassure her and her dragon both that there would be no such thing. Even if he didn't know for certain that it would be within his power, at this moment in time, to keep the weyrlings within their bounds at this time.

As far as he knew though, he highly doubted the Weyr would take them back, even the mutated queen. Why would they want them when they were so concerned about pure dragons? Then again, with their Weyrleaders gone...

He smiled at her and would have given her hand a squeeze in reassurance, but since that was out of the question, he instead provided her with expression, and tried to impress upon her dragon a feeling of soothing support. "There's going to be no going back. You're good here, believe me. New Atricis is your home now, Surieka. You can rest and relax in that knowledge, heal and prosper. You're surrounded by those that will love, support, and see you through everything that you're going through."

— Ray Bradbury —
Tyriani

Sat May 18, 2019 2:35 am

Lamassuth watched L'van as he listened to him and the weyrling seemed to lay back down fully at Surieka's feet. He was convinced it seemed, but he was also still watching. Sul'tek noticed the look in his father's eye when Surieka spoke of their letters and he shrugged lightly before he rose from his spot. He looked between the pair and nodded. "I don't think I am needed at the moment, but I have the feeling that all of us need food, so I shall go and find us some. You two talk and I'll be back." He turned to look at Lamassuth only, a stern look in the man's eyes. "Don't you do anything that you will regret. Basarolth will still be right outside."

The young dragon made no response, but simply closed his eyes as he listened to Surieka and L'van. Sul'tek shook his head before he left the tent. He was sure that if L'van wanted anything in particular, Zenjarth would tell Basarolth and Basarolth would tell Sul'tek. The moment her father left, Surieka seemed to sag in bed. Her true look was shown then. Stress and sadness showed not only in her eyes, but on her face. Her skin was pale from the fever while seeming to still be sweating.

But she ignored that as she listened to what L'van said and she let out the breath that she forgot that she had been holding in. "Thank you so much grandfather, that means the world to us." The chimera hummed in an agreement with what his young rider said. She smiled weakly before she placed a soft hand on the wing that she could reach of Lamassuth's. "In your honest opinion, what should I expect from being a chimerarider? What fears am I going to have?" She hoped that he would tell her the truth instead of trying to down play it. She wanted to truth, she was ready for it, even if her body didn't look like it.
Ember

Sat May 25, 2019 4:28 pm

He watched her father leave for a moment, considered if he needed anything specific, and while he wanted a stiff drink, that could wait until he was alone. Besides, now wasn't the time for anything harsh when he wasn't even prepared to face reality yet himself. He glanced back at Surieka and spoke to her, then listened as she responded, and he could understand why she was concerned. Thankfully she was at New Atricis now, and being at this Weyr, she was in a better place, a better home.

"If you're concerned about whether or not you'll have anything to fear as a rider of a chimeric dragon, here at New Atricis you'll have none of the worries you would have had at Igen. We in fact have two dragons that share the trait your boy has here, and they both are accepted." He pulled up a chair closer to her bed, but still kept his distance out of respect for her dragon. "We're also a Weyr filled with both traditional colors and the non-traditional ones, so your Lamassuth will do just fine at New Atricis, dear. I don't believe you'll have any fears about being a chimerarider at all, in other words."

— Ray Bradbury —