Understanding in a Cloud of Black ~ { tag } Berry / Omiren

Despite being new, this dining hall is very similar to the one back at old Atricis, giving a familiarity to the new Weyr. It is one large, central cavern carved out from the side of the cliff with many tables of varying sizes and seat numbers. The kitchens are attached, and there is a set of stairs leading down into the lower caverns.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:09 am

She'd seen him around, had heard about him from various people around the Weyr. When she'd looked into the records, she'd known for a fact that she wanted to talk to him. There were just too many ways they were similar to one another - at least on the surface and in just one or two ways - for her to ignore the chance to sit and speak with him.

So when she spotted him in the dining hall upon entering it for a late breakfast, sometime after he would have had chores, she decided she would settle in next to him and perhaps offer her hand (maybe even her shoulder) in sympathy and understanding. She wasn't sure if he would appreciate it, there was no telling how strangers would react to an unknown individual approaching them about such matters, but sometimes it took a stranger to help soothe a broken spirit.

Deciding to forego her meal, for now at least, she simply grabbed klah and mixed it with what she wanted before turning to make sure the young man was still there. Then she watched him for a moment, observing him and his behaviors and appearance before nodding to herself. He seemed like the sort that could use herself. Then again, that could just be what she was seeing; it might be quite the opposite.

Regardless, she was about to find out, as she stepped closer to the table he'd chosen in the corner, her klah being sipped on every few steps. When she reached him, she nodded her head politely. "Daywher Candidate Omiren? Junior Queenrider Dirce. Mind if I have a seat with you for a little while?"

Please visit the above link for a list of my current
characters, links to their profiles, to see what
they look like, and find other little facts about them!

[ Marks Tracker | Graphics Shop | NPC Archive ]

“You fail only if you stop writing.”
— Ray Bradbury —

The gorgeous avatar is by the talented Kaenith.
Berry
Pronouns: She/Her

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:01 pm

Omi had decided that some noise and a decent crowd might be a good distraction. A small snack wouldn't hurt either. Yet the sweet roll sat untouched in front of him and his klah had long since cooled. Today was a rough day. His sleep had been blissfully uninterrupted by any nightmares and nothing had really gone wrong during chores. There was no reason for him to feel this... down and disconnected from the hubub around him. The noise was somewhat soothing, reminding Omi he wasn't entirely alone but it wasn't easing the aching in his chest all that much. So he sat, staring off into space, ignoring Maude and Pip as they eyed his uneaten sweet roll with hunger in their eyes.

Omi was completely unprepared to have company. It was difficult to pull himself out of his own thoughts, but he was able to turn his focus to his companions words. Dirce wasn't an uncommon sight around the weyr, though he'd never had any interactions with her before now. Omi couldn't come up with a reason for her to be talking with him though. A good reason that is. Had he done something wrong? It would have to be something major if a junior queenrider was the one tasked with admonishing him. Nothing came to mind so he decided to just go with the flow and see where it ended up.

"I don't mind at all ma'am." Omi replied politely. He twisted to the side so he could chat with Dirce a bit better. Maude perked up and walked across his shoulder so she could croon a hello of her own. "I hope you're having a wonderful day so far." He added, smiling. Though it didn't quite reach his eyes and the smile felt odd on his face. Omi hoped it looked natural though, he didn't want to be rude.
Ember

Wed May 01, 2019 3:48 pm

She smiled, wanting to reassure the daywher candidate that he was under no trouble, and she wasn't there to get him into any. "Don't worry, I just wanted to chat." She said, reaching out to offer Maude a hand. She'd heard of this new color of starlizard and it was lovely to see one of them so up close instead of at a distance. "I won't take up much of your time, I promise. Just something I'd noticed in your records that I thought I might be able to speak to you about."

At least she hoped it would do him some good. She could only hope so in the long run. She took a breath before pushing forward. "I know that you lost your wher to felines." It was blunt, and forward, but she was still trying to get herself under task with diplomatic speech. "There's a point to this, I promise." She tried to gentle tings up a little, and looked down a moment. "I lost my parents to them too, and I just wanted you to know that I understand, in a way, what that loss they brought can feel like."

Not entirely of course, she would never understand the crush of a soul of losing a bond, and she hoped she'd never experience it herself. "And I wanted you to know that if you need someone to talk to, I'll listen to you. I may not have experienced things the way that you did, but I don't want you to feel like you need to work through things alone either. If that makes sense. I don't... mean to assume how you're doing either."

— Ray Bradbury —

Berry

Mon May 06, 2019 8:47 pm

Omi relaxed somewhat as Dirce did her best to reassure him. Even more so when Maude sniffed her hand and then rubbed up against it for pets. If the sunset trusted her then he could as well, he supposed. Still her next words ruffled his somewhat frayed nerves. There was really only one main thing in his records, well other than him transferring south. Omi took a breath and let Dirce's words flow over him. He wasn't sure if today was a good day to talk about it, or maybe with his emotions roiling inside it was the perfect time. He wasn't sure.

Ahh and there it was. Omi's eyes fell from Dirce's face to the table in front of him. It was indeed blunt and it stung, but there was no malice in her words and he could find no fault with what was said. Especially when she went on to explain herself. At time's he'd wondered himself if loosing a wher bond was like loosing family. It felt like he'd lost a part of himself. Like without it, he just wasn't Omiren anymore. Plenty of people talked about how a wher didn't bond as strongly as other dragonkin. So perhaps it wasn't as painful as loosing a parent or sibling, but to him it felt like the worst thing in the world. It might be possible to live without the bond, but it didn't feel insignificant either.

"I appreciate that." That was all Omi could really say at first. It couldn't be easy for Dirce to share her own pains either. "It's... not easy opening up about what happened, even now. It still means a lot to have an understanding ear to listen to my woes though." Omi continued with a rueful smile.

One hand laying on the table began to move as he couldn't help but tap them against the wood. It helped channel the surge of tension he was feeling. Omi didn't really want to talk about his troubles to a stranger, even if Dirce was understanding, but it also not one of his best days. He was feeling alone and worn and he needed a shoulder to lean on, even if it was just for a little while. "I was, am doing better. Today has... been a bit of a rougher day than most recently. For no real reason other than it's just bad day, which is... irritating." A small sad smile twisted his lips.
Ember

Fri May 17, 2019 6:35 pm

Oh, it might have been irritating when you were trying to heal mentally, but she could understand. "It takes time." She smiled in sympathy. She wanted so much to reassure him that it would get better, that he just needed to be patient and give it time, but she knew for some, it was difficult to be patient with themselves, especially when they were dealing with things that left such deep marks on their emotional state. "It isn't easy losing someone you loved, and cared for, and your wher was someone that mattered to you. Feeling the way that you do about your loss is normal, I believe."

She was no mindhealer, so these were things that she simply believed, things that she'd learned since losing her parents. She offered him another expression that was soft and easy to be around, hoping to make him comfortable in his presence, and continued to stroke the pretty lizard he was sat with. "Just keep in mind that you shouldn't push yourself too hard or too fast. As much as you want to be better, it'll come with time and attention to your own care. I only learned these things through hard lessons of my own."

Her parents' losses had left such harsh reminders on her heart for so long, but she was finally over things. Not even the Impression of her dragon had healed her completely. It was true what they said - not even dragons could heal your mending thoughts. She'd been there as support, when she was older, and from there, it had been all up to Dirce. "Has it been very long?" She knew the answer - of course she knew the answer - but she wanted to know how he would say it, how he would speak of it.

— Ray Bradbury —

Berry

Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:31 am

Dirce's words were ones he'd heard before. They were sentiments he needed to be reminded of however. It was hard to be patient, to remember this was normal, even several turns later. Omi's nerves weren't exactly soothed, but his hope and perseverance was bolstered some. If he soldiered on through today, maybe he would feel better tomorrow. Or rather possibly be in a better mindset to practice some of the lessons his mindhealer had tried to drill into his head.

As she continued Omi looked up at her. She had learned the hard way? His chest clenched with sympathy. Dirce hadn't gone into detail but he was sure the emotional scars were gouged just as deep into her heart. As she spoke he sensed the honesty and pain behind her words. Omi nodded slowly, fingers slowing but not stopping their staccato against the table top.

Ahh and then that question was asked. It stabbed at his insecurities and he winced. See... it had been so long, or rather Omi felt as if it should have been long enough. Two turns and he was still grieving his wher so strongly it was getting in the way of his daily life. He wanted to be over it and go back to how he'd been before already. At the same time Omi never wanted to forget Omisk and just moving on felt as if he'd be ignoring his bondmate's existence. This was his biggest struggle, at least at the moment.

"Long enough." Omi followed it up with a bitter chuckle, "It's been... two long turns. Here I am standing for a day wher clutch and I'm still not okay. The mindhealers have said that's something healthy to do if I want. I thought I was but today... I don't know. Did bonding help you?" His worries and fears were circling, ready to overwhelm him if he let them. Omi focused on keeping his breathing even and staying calm, trying to not give them a further foothold.
Ember

Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:41 am

She considered his words, and tilted her head a little. "Bonding shouldn't be a bandage you wrap around yourself to heal old wounds." She said it softly, gently, then held up a finger to stop any words before they could bubble up from his mouth. "That's not to say it didn't help, however, before we continue, I should let you know that my loss may not have been like your own. It was my parents that I lost to the felines. And I mourned them for a long time before I was finally able to move on."

She looked down a moment and let out a breath, thinking that moment had been both blessing and curse if she had to be honest. Curse because she'd lost the people that had given her and her siblings life, blessing because... she may not have come South without the scenario taking place, blessing because... she wouldn't have Sandalphonth had she not come South. She grimaced thinking about it in that manner, but she'd also long since accepted everything in almost all regards to the attacks; anything else would remain buried, for her to deal with whenever it happened to boil over again.

"I do know that having that mind with you is a soothing measure. I know it made me think my parents would have been proud to see me. But for you? Standing again? I'm not sure, I'm not a mindhealer, so I don't wish to say whether it would be good or bad." Impression, and Bonding to an extent, was not and should not be used for a coping mechanism after loss. But she suspected he knew that already. "Do you think that you're ready to try for another bond? That should be the only opinion that matters Omiren. If you think you're ready, and you're doing it for the right reasons, then by all means... yes. Do it." It hadn't been what she'd been asked, but she was also going to be honest with her feelings.

— Ray Bradbury —