How To Manage Trouble ~ { tag } Slasher / R'fael

Very similar to the old lower caverns, these ones are a little less than before as well. These Lower Caverns almost exclusively hold storage rooms and living spaces for all the Weyrfolk.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:21 am

When the kittens had been found, Andreasan had taken it upon himself to tend to them, but they were so little that they needed almost constant care. The best thing would have been to take them to a beastcrafter, but he of the soft heart was unable to do that when he had a bit of an idea of how to take care of something small and scraggly thanks to how he'd been raised himself. So he kept them set up comfortably in one of the cavern rooms, caged in with enough room to roam but be kept in the area they were meant to be in. There was water and the litter, and as he was able he would stop by to feed them or spend time with them.

What he didn't know was that someone would find them, and that he would have to put in a kitten saving rescue before this someone took off with one. It happened just before lunch, and he figured he'd bring some food to check on the litter and see how they were. It wouldn't be long before he needed to find homes for them, and it would be difficult to let them go, but it would be a relief knowing they had made it through. It was with that thought that he smiled, and with that expression on his face that he entered the room in question...

....only to stop when he spotted the little girl trying to slip one of them under her tunic. He cleared his throat and made sure she knew he was there, but closed the door behind him so none of the kittens could escape. "I don't believe they belong to you, little lass." He crossed his arms over his chest, looking far sterner than he actually felt. The fact that someone, a child no less, was trying to steal a kitten of all things... well, he would wait to hear what she had to say before he spoke any further.

Please visit the above link for a list of my current
characters, links to their profiles, to see what
they look like, and find other little facts about them!

[ Marks Tracker | Graphics Shop | NPC Archive ]

“You fail only if you stop writing.”
— Ray Bradbury —

The gorgeous avatar is by the talented Kaenith.
Slasher

Thu May 02, 2019 3:15 pm

Faeris had always been a bit of a scamp, and rather loved critters especially. Her foster mother had already told the girl that she wouldn't be surprised if the youth ended up a Beastcrafter with the way she had with animals. The girl had also taken to loitering around the edges of the kitchens for any scraps(which little did the kitchen workers know it, but she used the scraps to try and bribe various animals, wild and otherwise). So it was no surprise that she overheard the words 'kittens' and 'orphaned' and 'store room' and it was all over from there.

The girl had visited the kittens a few times, always careful to avoid the times the Assistant Headman was there caring for them. The man was a bit of a hero in her eyes, honestly. And not just because he had taken on care of the kittens. But he was huge, just physically. And she had heard so many stories from the other Weyrbrat's...So when she was visiting, playing with her favorite kitten, which she had secretly named Jeff, she realized they were getting to the age where they would go find their own homes. The girl had been around enough beasts as they grew by then that she knew Andre would find them homes, and the thought of Jeff going somewhere else...She couldn't do it.

On one hand, the girl knew the kitten wouldn't quite be ready to leave if the mother was still around, but on the other, she just couldn't stomach the idea of someone taking her beloved Jeff. So she scooped him up, and started tucking him up into her tunic to sneak out of the room.

”I don't believe they belong to you, little lass."

Faeris squeaked, and tucked her shirt down, vanishing the kitten inside of it. Nevermind the movement across her front, she stood, eyes wide at the man, ”Assistant Headmaster! What are you doing here? You're supposed to be in the Kitchens...” The girl swallowed, then looked down in shame. She carefully let Jeff side out the bottom of her shirt, and cuddled the purring thing tight, ”I know they're almost old enough to go away, I just wanted to keep Jeff safe...” She stared down at the furry thing, unable to meet the man's stern gaze, tears slowly filling her eyes at the thought of being in such trouble now that she'd never see her special feline again.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
~:Stories:~ ~:Monies:~ ~:Plotter:~
Ember

Sun May 12, 2019 6:41 am

He watched her for a moment, and when he eyes started to fill with tears, well... his heart started to break just a bit and he knelt down, which really didn't do much to bring him down to her height - he was still a ways taller than her. At any rate, it did bring him down lower, and allowed him to take out a bit of cloth to wipe at her little face, a valiant attempt to dash away the tears before they could fall. "Hey now, I didn't say that I was going to do anything about Jeff."

He glanced at the kitten she was holding, who seemed to be as fond of her as she was of it. He smiled and reached out to give it a bit of a scratch and smiled as he did so. "Truth be told, I was wondering what to call this one. I think Jeff is a very fitting name." More scratches were given, and it was fast becoming apparent to himself that he wasn't going to be able to not let the girl have the kitten, just not yet. The little thing was still too young to be weaned completely.

"You know, when Jeff is a little bit older, he's going to need a new home." He settled his hand on his leg and smiled, a big expression that was usually reserved for the children he often found himself working with in the lower caverns and kitchens. "I tell you what - you help me with some chores for a couple of days, and I'll let you have him when he's weaned, including things to take care of him with. What say you?" He offered her one of his large hands to shake if she accepted the terms of his deal - but it was up to her if she would or not.

— Ray Bradbury —

Slasher

Sat May 18, 2019 3:53 am

The young girl vaguely heard the large man move closer, and she just snugged the kitten tighter, sniffling and trying to fight the tears. She felt the tiny, raspy tongue of the kitten start against the tip of her nose, and couldn't bite back the breathy giggle that the kisses elicited, regardless of the threatening tears. The action soothed the girl, enough that she sniffed breathily, and dared to glance up towards Andresan as he approached. She wasn't afraid of him, not really. She knew he was too kind of a heart to really hurt her. He had rescued the kittens himself, after all, instead of giving them to a Beastcrafter.

When he wiped at her face, she sniffed again, and looked up, large eyes wide as the tears subsided. She knew he wasn't mad, not really. And to be true, she should have probably just asked, but at the time...She had just been thrilled to be playing with the kittens. And she knew she wasn't hurting them. But the man seemed as fond of them as she was. She felt Jeff's purr as Andre started scritching him, pushing a soft giggle from her with the vibration as well.

And then with the offer he made...Well how could she ever decline? The smile that erupted on her face was genuine, her eyes full of the simple joy that a child could feel. ”Of course! Oh, thank you!” One arm still held onto the kitten carefully, the other flinging itself around his neck as she pounced him with an exuberant hug. Something occurred to her though, even as she hated to have to slow down with her excitement, ”I don't think I can have pets in the creche though...” She glanced down at Jeff, her mind going in sad, tiny circles with that realization.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Ember

Sun May 26, 2019 1:55 am

He considered that, and knew they would come to a solution for how to arrange Jeff's home. If they weren't able to, then he would take care of Jeff for a while for her. But first, before he assumed anything, he glanced down at the two, wondering why she looked so familiar. Perhaps... "Do you have a parent that's a rider, dear? Maybe we can convince them to take Jeff on for you?"

That would be the easiest way to go about it, he thought. That way she'd have an easier time of seeing the little feline when she wanted to visit, and she'd know that the little mite was always taken care of. Simple as that, right? He gave Jeff another scratch and grinned. "But you know, if you have a parent that's a rider, we'd have to give Jeff one of his siblings so he won't be lonely..." He winked conspiratorially at her.

— Ray Bradbury —

Slasher

Sun May 26, 2019 2:44 am

Faeris continued snuggling the purring kitten, her sniffles long gone as she listened intently to Andreasan as he spoke. She caught on quick to what he was getting at asking if she had a rider parent. And luckily, she did, ”Yes! Oh, yes, that would work, I just know it!” She grinned, her cheeks reddening with glee as she bounced a little at the idea.

And the mention of Jeff needing a friend, she gasped a little, then nodded solemnly towards the man, ”You're right! Oh, but who?” She looked down at the various playing, napping, and eating kittens. She looked one to another, thoughtfully petting Jeff, before finally turning back towards the Assistant Headman, ”Which one do you think, Andre? I'm sure my father wouldn't mind if you picked it instead of me.”
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Ember

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:50 am

Andre looked at the kittens carefully, wanting to make sure he picked the right now for her father. He didn't know who the man was, but he was certain it would be a good choice, and he would assure the girl that if there was an issue, she could send her Papa to him and he would straighten things out for her immediately. She was too good of a girl, and he was fond of the children of the Weyr - he didn't want to see her sad, and knew she would be too sad if something happened to the kitten she'd grown so happy with.

"Okay... let's see Jeff, which of the other babies should we send you home with." He had contemplated bringing one home himself, having become so happy with them that he was picky about who would eventually go home with them. Eventually he picked a soft looking little lad, one that kept trying to get to Jeff so it appeared, and he smiled as he gently plucked the baby up and put him with his brother. "Looks like he'll be happy to be with his brother. What do you think of my choice?"

— Ray Bradbury —