A nice day isn't it? [open/chores]

The main, central area of the Weyr, since it's no longer a "bowl" like before, people have taken to calling it the courtyard, or more often, the Weyr Yard. Dragons land and take off here while people walk from building to building going along their daily duties.
Berry
Pronouns: She/Her

Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:51 pm

The weather was amazing. Sure there was the threat of an oppressive afternoon heat wave, hanging in the air, but the sun was shining and that gentle but steady breeze was refreshing. It really wasn't all that different from the day before but today some how felt better to Omi. The small voice in his head whispered that he was just having a good day and who knew what would happen tomorrow, but he smothered it. The southern winter had come and he was going to enjoy it for once. Even if he had candidate chores to do.

With a basket of damp laundry on his hip, Omi made for the drying lines out in the weyr yard. This was a particular chore he didn't mind to much. It was repetitive and he'd likely have another two basket fulls to do but once sheets and towels were hung it was like he was in his own little oasis away from the noise and flashes of distracting dragon hides around him. It was soothing and had quickly become his favorite chore after re-entering candidacy. Omi made sure to make a play at not enjoying it of course, as a candidate some griping was expected and he didn't want to be given other chores as a priority just because he enjoyed this one.

A humm escaped the candidates lips as he picked one of the long lines and set about sorting just what he would hang first. Maud stirred from where she'd been napping along his shoulders. She stretched and yawned, curling her wing over his head and gave his cheek a nuzzle. He reached back to give the young sunset starlizard at gentle scritch. Pip had landed on the post next to him and was trying to navigate the line like a tight rope, with limited success. Her high pitched squeaks of irritation as she wobbled and kept nearly falling off made Omi smile.

It was only then he realized he wasn't alone, like he'd thought. "Oh, sorry! I hope we're not disturbing you." Omi gave an apologetic smile and quickly set about laying a sheet across the line.
Ainokesshou

Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:15 am

Ashton had always been very careful about planning their projects. Even Masters needed to be meticulous about their limited supply of fine threads, and that was even more true for apprentices, who would only receive the scraps their Masters did not want, most of the time. Today, they had received some exceptionally delicate linen thread. . . well, delicate for linen. Silk was finer, of course. But linen was stiffer, and there were some purposes for which that was a good thing. The dye had turned the linen the wrong hue; too much orange in the yellow, so that it didn't look much like a golden dragon. Their Master had handed it off to Ash, who would make something lovely out of it. Eventually. After carefully sketching out the pattern they wanted to make, and planning how to achieve it.

Planning a lace pattern actually used a fair amount of math, both to decide exactly where specific threads needed to cross each other, and to figure out how large a piece could be made from a certain amount of thread. Which depended on how tightly woven the lace was, of course. And other factors. So right now, Ash was sketching out some numbers, trying to figure out what they could make.

They were sitting outside with their little bit of charcoal and a small scrap of hide for their calculations, enjoying the pleasant day. Soon enough they would have snow, but for now it was alright to stay outside, among the laundry lines. No one needed this space for anything but hanging out clothing, and. . . .

Apparently that was starting. There was one of the other candidates hanging out sheets, and Ash blinked up at the sudden change in lighting. They didn't need bright light for this, not like they would once they got started on their pattern, so it wasn't a problem. It was just startling.

"You aren't disturbing me," Ash promised, softly. They still didn't know quite how to interact with others who did not outrank them. Northern males were generally so much more. . . present . . . than Ash was comfortable with being. "I can still see well enough for my figures, I'll just move out of your way so you can get past."
Quiloth       Elahrairath     Nahumth       Arjunavoreth
ImageImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas Maukerith
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
   Atumra       Panlovis     Galask  Gask             Aesk     
Berry
Pronouns: She/Her

Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:55 pm

Omi looked at the sheet he'd pinned up and pursed his lips. It really wouldn't be any trouble to switch sides or something so he wouldn't be in the way. "Please don't move on my account. You were here first. I can easily work on either side." Glancing away from the laundry he eyed what the other candidate was sketching. It looked like something complicated and fancy, for what he wasn't sure. "I can move to another line? I don't really know much about sketching like that but isn't light important?"

Omi was curious to know just what was being sketched but also didn't want to be rude about it, so he let it be for the time being. He recognized the other person as a candidate, having passed them in the halls, though they weren't a daywher candidate he didn't think. Oh and there had been shared lessons right? Omi still couldn't quite place them in any memory of his lessons. He had just missed them sketching away over there. Perhaps he wasn't as observant as he'd once been?

Maude hummed and peered over toward the other candidate, also curious. "Oh no you don't. You might smudge their drawing." Omi admonished, as he caught her intent to glide over to get a better look. Pip was also still squeaking away and he picked her up and put her on his other shoulder, despite her protests. All the noise was likely quite annoying as well. "Sorry about them. I figured I'd let them get some exersize while the weather is still nice."
Ainokesshou

Sat May 18, 2019 2:13 am

Ash had started to push up, but settled back down when the other candidate said not to move out of his way. "Light is important for the sketching part," they agreed, when Omiren offered to move to another line, "but that's not exactly what I'm working on right now."

There were tentative sketches of patterns, but they were more suggestions or ideas, rather than fully developed plans. Ash just needed to figure out how far the thread would go on patterns of different complexity before deciding what to do with it.

They shook their head when Omiren drew his lizards away, concerned about smudges. "You don't have to worry about that," Ash said, brushing a little bit of bangs back from their face as they leaned back from their drawing to look up at him. "I'm used to my own pets trying to get a closer look." Ash had to either use expensive materials that were resistance to smudges, or resign themselves to a little bit of a mess.
Quiloth       Elahrairath     Nahumth       Arjunavoreth
ImageImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas Maukerith
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
   Atumra       Panlovis     Galask  Gask             Aesk