Out of Place - Ember | K'rios

Like much of the new Weyr, this is a building built in the Weyr Yard. It is a moderately sized building capable of housing up to 48 candidates of each gender at one time. Dragon candidates, Day wher candidates, and even Watch-wher candidates all are housed in this building.
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:06 pm

Season - Fuzzy time to Mid Autumn 2049
Time - early evening, dinner time
Location - Atricis Weyr | Candidate Barracks

@Ember | K'rios
Epi once told Faveonn that it was her right to know her father. Where once she found herself too scared to face the man, weeks later she found herself fortified enough step into the candidate barracks. What she might face, she knew not. He might show indifference towards her existence, or even outright reject her claims. Faveonn admitted either outcome would break her heart, yet she had resolved to face him nonetheless, not for his sake, but her own, to know from where she came from.

You have a right to know him if you want.

Her friend was right, but it was on Faveonn to confront him.

Finding the man was easy enough. Weeks ago, when she spoke the name K'rios to her uncle, V'an, she was directed to the Candidate Barracks. Apparently, the man, a pewterrider, was a candidatemaster assistant. Such a revelation did feed into the young girl's hope that he might accept her. After all, if he enjoyed working with those her age, the swaths of youth that came to the weyr with dreams of dragons, did not that mean he would not be opposed to knowing he had fathered a child of his own? And yet Faveonn had put her faith in such things in the past. She dreamt of acceptance, not understanding at the time the complexities of human nature, and its cruelties. The trouble she faced in the Benden creche had taught her that humans were not always predictable and logical. They were capable of complex and contradictory natures.

So what did that mean about her father? What kind of man was he? Faveonn realised she would soon find out when she dared to slip into the Candidate Barracks for the very first time in her life.

The candidates had finished their drills and errands, ready to settle for the day with a good meal and a relaxing evening. Some cleaned up in the bathing rooms, while others gathered in the centre of the common rooms, waiting for their friends who took a bit longer than the rest. For a time, Faveonn kept to herself with Mayfly at her shoulder, easily blending among the candidates. After all, as a weyrbred girl of candidate age, she could have easily have become one herself. Yet she had not.

Masses of youth shouted and dashed about as they slowly filtering out of the common rooms little by little. They were obnoxious, the sharp notes of laughter and the boisterous calls causing Faveonn to shrink that much more into a quiet corner. Feeling her discomfort, her green firelizard slipped into her arms to assure her with gentle croons; the gentle assurance did little to assuage Faveonn of her anxiety. She felt out of place among them, but then, she always had. It was part of why she had hated the creche so much back in Benden. All the while, she looked about for an adult, someone who might be able to point her in the right direction.. someone who did not already have their hands full with all the pubescent boys and girls, and swaths of giggling and rambunctious teens. Soon, however, the candidates dispersed, emptying out of the barracks for dinner.

With careful steps, Faveonn emerged from her quiet corner, moving into the centre of the stilled room. As she slipped Mayfly back to her shoulder, eyes shot about for an adult. She noted two of them, a man and a woman with assistant knots. Did she ask them? No, they left the room before Faveonn could.

What if he was not here? the girl quietly feared. The day she finally found her courage, what if he was no where to be found? Would that mean all of this was for not? Such a thought made her heart drop like a weight, crushing her with a sudden force that nearly suffocated her. Mayfly warbled her concerns to Faveonn before the girl regained herself. No, he had to be here. V'an said he would be here. But where did she start?

Aimless in her destination, Faveonn stood in the centre of the common room, attempting to devise a path forward to find this man who was her father.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:41 am

K'rios was the last out, and as such, he was the first one to notice the lone figure in the common room. At first he thought she might just scamper off and so he did nothing about it at first, continuing on between offices and classrooms checking for lone candidates. But every so often he'd look, and when he did, she would still be there. He decided when he was finished with his inspections that if she was still there, he'd say something then. Maybe she was a candidate that was new and uncertain of how things went. Maybe she was seeking someone to sign up for candidacy and wasn't sure which way to go now that the place was quiet and empty (for now at least).

Regardless of her reason for being there, she was still in her spot when he was finished checking the last of the spaces, and finished sending the last of the candidates off, and so he made his approach with a gentle smile on his face. "Excuse me, miss." He said, by way of nabbing her attention. "Is there something I can help you with?"

Please visit the above link for a list of my current
characters, links to their profiles, to see what
they look like, and find other little facts about them!

[ Marks Tracker | Graphics Shop | NPC Archive ]

“You fail only if you stop writing.”
— Ray Bradbury —

The gorgeous avatar is by the talented Kaenith.
Shaihulud

Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:14 am

Faveonn did not know why, but the moment the man approached her, calling her attention, she felt a shiver of anticipation run through her. Or was it a tremble of dread? Dual toned eyes turned up to him, paler than his own... and yet there was that fleck of brown found in them...

She knew his face. I've seen him before, the young healer thought as he posed his question.

"Is there something I can help you with?"

She blinked in surprise as she continued to take in his appearance, raking through the recesses of her mind for the reason behind the sense of familiarity she felt for the stranger. She gleaned it initially by his countenance, and then by his voice... But she had delayed her reply. Aware of the fact she had failed to answer him with the immediacy he likely expected of someone her age, Faveonn cast her gaze down before she dared to speak. "I'm looking for someone," she began. Her heart pound so hard, she thought the very drum of it enunciated every syllable she spoke. "His name is K'rios. I was told he was in."

Were she bolder, she might have caught the telling signs that the very man she sought was the one who stood before her...

... and then she looked. Careful at first, Faveonn turned her two toned eyes back up to the man. His blue eyes seemed so kind... and yet they were not blue. One was brown- No! only partially brown! Much like her own! Could it possibly be? "Are you K'rios?" What were the chances that this man, with eyes as unique as her's, was not the man she sought?
Ember

Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:35 am

He couldn't quite understand why she might be looking for him, but he knew one thing for certain - there was a strange sensation that he should know who she was. It was quite unnerving, if he were telling the truth, much like knowing that she was searching for him specifically. Was something the matter somewhere that he needed to be aware of? Or was it worse and he wasn't being on his guard like he should be? But he didn't get the feeling that this was a situation that needed to be proceeded with a sense of caution, and so he didn't bother with trying to put up too much of a fuss.

"That would be me." The kindness didn't leave him, but the curiosity continued to consume him as he regarded her. She looked like someone he should possibly know, which wasn't helped when he finally had a look at her eyes and noticed how much like his own they were... Again he smiled, and this time he tipped his head forward, though a pinch of the tension he felt about all of this could be seen, right between his brows as he tried to figure out what this might be about. "Is there something I can do for you?"

— Ray Bradbury —

Shaihulud

Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:16 am

Even Mayfly began to jitter on her shoulder from the tension that accumulated in the air. It sparked a noticeable unease between them both, one that was not missed by Faveonn as the man before her confirmed he was indeed K'rios.

There was a tell upon his face that indicated his discomfort towards that unspoken unknown. It felt preternatural, the knowledge that one knew the other for all they had never met. And yet they had in past life times and in recent times.

She had seen this man before.

Those notes in his voice, they told her as much, pulling on an old memory forged in her early youth. The details of the past encounter remained vague, as did the reason for the it, and yet the memory was there, with his face, and his eyes, and the gentle tenor song of his voice. Even then, as a child, she knew then that there was something important about him, yet even as his eyes stayed with her, those deep blues with their fleck of brown, Faveonn could not perceive the reason behind such a sense of importance. He was a stranger in passing during their brief interaction, yet after all these turns, Faveonn remembered him.

Now, turns later, she knew why his face had stayed with her for so long, dwelling in the secret corridors of her mind. That man of her past, the very one who now stood before her, was her father.

"Is there something I can do for you?"

Turns of anticipation built to this one moment, turns of struggle, anger, and determination. She resented her mother for all her secrecy. But what did one say to one's father when the father had not even the faintest idea of his connection to the child who stood before him?

"I..." and yet she faltered. Where were the words she had trained into herself for turns? She had waited for this moment, dreamed of it, but now Faveonn knew not how to utter the confession with the harper's graced she had hoped for. Her throat clenched, but she knew she needed to say it, even if she said it outright. There was no one else to hear it but him.

Mayfly warbled once more to her, anxious of the worry that coursed through Faveonn.

It was just enough to centre her courage. "I-I'm you're daughter," she finally answered. Though her words lacked finesse, she spoke truth. They were father and daughter.

Knowing full well he might demand answers with such a confession, or, at the very least, proof (as though the very mirror of their eyes was not enough), Faveonn quickly said the rest. "My mother is Revanne, from Benden Weyr."
Ember

Wed May 01, 2019 2:20 pm

K'rios felt the very heaviness of his chest attempt to crush his heart before he could so much as take a breath large enough to truly understand what it was she had just said. He had fetched the "I'm your daughter" part for his brain just fine, even picked up a hint of "Revanne" too. But was there anything else? He couldn't think really on it, nor did he know what to expect of the situation beyond that. It took Iktomith prying his mind apart to finally kickstart his lungs, and it was then that the pewterrider realized a few things:

He was not angry, quite the opposite was going on insideo f his head in fact. Upset at Revanne for not telling him after all this time, though he supposed back when this child was... brought into the world, he'd been quite the little bastard, for lack of a better words. He was curious to know if it were true, but a look at the girl's eyes, so like his own in color with the splash of brown on blue, and he knew it to be true.

He started to nod, and swallowed the sudden lump of emotion in his throat, crouching down so that he could be more eye level with the girl. She didn't look much like him other than the eyes, though he could see quite a bit of her mother in her from what he recalled of the woman. "I'm sorry I'm so terrible at this right now." He told her, and then knowing he needed to say more, he went on. "But I'm not unhappy. I'm actually very glad to meet you."

There would likely not be hugs right away, he knew, or close bonds like the one he had with Norissa. But Faranth, did he want that eventually if she would allow it. "Faranth..." He let out a bit of a watery chuckle, proof that his emotions were in a bit of a wave at the moment, and looked down between them, but only for a breath before glancing back at her. "I'm your dad. I accept this."

— Ray Bradbury —

Shaihulud

Wed May 01, 2019 11:12 pm

The vestibules of Faveonn's heart ached with her father's resounding silence. What peace could ever be found in such deafening unknown when the chances of acceptance and denial entangled themselves together? It left the child helpless, biting her nails into the folds of her dress with dread. Already, she felt his rejection of her close around her throat as tears brimmed in her eyes. Faveonn's mind readied her for the worst, warning the girl that the fabrics of her life long dream were about to tatter and tear. Where it not for the textured fibres gripped between her fingers, Faveonn knew she might buckle under sorrow. Why else would he stand there so startled as though she had threatened to uproot him? She knew her words had already shaken his roots of the soil, exposing him to a biting chill as deathly as winter itself. Faveonn could be naive at times, but not about this. After helping raise her little brother and the siblings to follow, she understood the burdens a child could bring, changing the very course of one's life.

Would K'rios allow his own life to alter, all for the sake of a girl he hardly knew? Her logical side, the one that had experienced the heartache of spurning, feared he would dismiss her to preserve the life he adored. Her heart, however, believed K'rios was better than her worst fears. All her life, she dreamed of a father who wept the same as she from turns of separation. After tears shed, he would bring her under his wing as though he had loved her all his life.

Slowly, the pewterrider lowered himself to meet the small girl eye to eye. Seeing his orbs reflect her own, she swore she stared upon the looking glass.

"I'm sorry I'm so terrible at this right now."

Like her eyes, her heart welled with tears, palpitating with sorrow.

"But I'm not unhappy. I'm actually very glad to meet you."

"What?" the word stumbled from her before she could take it back.

"Faranth..." she could hear it in his voice, the dampness of his emotions slowly beginning to flood him. "I'm your dad. I accept this."

Faveonn's lips visibly trembled as several tears rolled down her plump cheeks. It seemed for several shaking breaths as though the girl might indeed cry. And how could she not? Turns she had waited for this moment, turns too long, long enough to believe such a union might never occur. Turns she had fought with her mother, begging for a name, any name that might give her a sense of understanding as to where she came from, to know a father's love...

The long sleeve of her dress was brought up to her face so the girl might dash away the tears and hide her heart from him. Even if he was her father, she had not meant for him to ever see her like this, but she could hardly stop herself. Faveonn knew not what to feel. Joy for being accepted. Anger at her mother for turns of lies and silence. Melancholy for all those turns lost... She coward from him, fearful he would see her emotions as a sign of weakness and recant everything he just said. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry..." she managed to say. After several long breaths, Faveonn finally found the strength to look to him. "I know I shouldn'y cry... I know I'm not allowed... I just..." Lips pressed, quivering once more before she managed to still them enough to continue. Yet still, her voice remained clotted with the turns of hurt, "I didn't thinking you'd be like this. I thought you'd turn me away..."
Ember

Thu May 16, 2019 2:05 pm

"I didn't thinking you'd be like this. I thought you'd turn me away..."

He didn't quite understand what she was saying that for. What did she mean by she wasn't allowed? Wasn't allowed to what? Cry? He touched her cheek again and thumbed away some of the tears that were clinging to her skin and shook his head, not answering her just yet on how he was. There was something else he felt the need to address first. "You're always allowed to cry, always. If you're hurt, or feeling pain in your heart, or even happiness so full you just need to let it out somehow, then tears are always acceptable." He wasn't sure who had told her otherwise, but he would have words with whoever this was, if not after he spoke with her, then sometime soon, he'd make sure of that.

Now that that had been said, he moved on. "How is it that you expected me to be?" He wondered if something had been said about him at any point in time, but he wasn't going to ask her that particular question, nor would he say anything bad about anyone in particular, he wasn't that sort of person. Regardless, he smiled and decided to do something that would hopefully soothe her tiny heart just a little more, because he suspected she could use it right about now - he drew her into his arms and held her, hoping she wouldn't mind, hoping it would be okay with her. "You see, you fit. How could I turn away something that's meant to be held by their father so perfectly?"

— Ray Bradbury —

Shaihulud

Wed May 22, 2019 5:25 pm

Large arms reached out for the small girl. The gesture nearly startled Faveonn, for she was uncertain of how to feel about the idea of this man pulling her in for an embrace. Normally, she stiffened against the affront of a stranger's touch.

But K'rios was not a stranger.

He was her father.

For a life time, Faveonn was a part of this man, even if she did not entirely know it at the time. Once more, she remembered the pewterrider in her youth and how she crossed paths with him during her brief time in Atricis. It was a casual conversation, yet she remembered him all these turns later, because he meant something to her. And despite the brevity of the encounter, her childlike intuition still screamed at her the question Why do I know this man? Turns later, she realised the answer was that the pewterrider was her father.

"You see, you fit. How could I turn away something that's meant to be held by their father so perfectly?"

Small hands moved of their own volition, wrapping desperately around the man she had fought for turns to know. The mind was swift to want to betray her, warning Faveonn he was too good to be true, but the heart cared little for what the mind whispered. And yet... "Why?" After turns of agitation and dismissiveness on her mother's behalf, turns of weyrlife and instilled weyrbred values of family, distant upbringing, and constant disappointment and isolation, the logically part of the girl still found it difficult to accept the the heart already believed.

It was enough to pull away from him, at least enough to look up into the look glass of his eyes. There, she knew she would find immeasurable truth to that which she was about to say. "We're... weyrbred," she finally pointed out the obvious. Weybred were normally distant with their children due to the attention dragons so often required. As a weyrbred child, Faveonn understood this immensely; she also understood the dismissal of parenthood that so often came with it. "You asked me what I expected of you, and I expected you to be... weyrbred. All the kids in the creche who I knew, their mums and dads were never like you. Shards... even my mother-" the very mention of Revanne was spoken with noticeable vitriol "-She liked the idea of me, but she never cared about being a mum, even if she pretended to. And she acted like you were as weyrbred as the worst of them, that you didn't care about being a father, that she was protecting me from you. I..." lips pressed in a tremble. Everything she said, she feared it sounded as nonsensical as every child's musings.

Shamefully, her head hung down before him, hiding her sudden hesitation and foolishness. "I don't know." She had no idea how else to articulate the emotions that plagued her so, and the uncertainty that came with them.
Ember

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:33 am

"-She liked the idea of me, but she never cared about being a mum, even if she pretended to. And she acted like you were as weyrbred as the worst of them, that you didn't care about being a father, that she was protecting me from you. I..."

It all made sense to him. He knew what she was saying, trying to say, and what it amounted to was that her mother had told her that he wasn't someone that would care. That this was overwhelming in a way because she hadn't expected it of him. At least, that's how he was taking it from her words to the way she was responding. He could have been wrong of course, but he had no real way of knowing when she wasn't sure of her own thoughts or feelings.

"How about we take time to get to know one another?" He suggested gently, wiping away her tears as best he could given how she'd pulled away. "I'm not going to turn you away at all, for one. I'm actually going to do my best to take care of you as my duties will allow now that I know you exist." If he'd known sooner, so much sooner, he would have fought for her, but he wasn't going to be like her mother - he wouldn't say anything harsh about her mother, because for all he knew, his mother was going based off an assumption made by a past version of himself. She'd had no idea what he was like now.

"Just know that I'm here now. I'm glad you're here, I want you here. I'm a pretty decent man if I say so myself." He stood up and gently led her over to a sofa off to the side so they could sit and be more comfortable together. "Why don't you settle here and I'll go get us something to drink and snack on, then we can sit and talk together? Would you like that?"

— Ray Bradbury —