Welcome Home - Ember | Calibane

Not the large stone caverns that Weyr people are used to, these are buildings built on the top of the cliff, sometimes referred to as the Weyr Cliff. These buildings are all the same size, with multiple apartments for dragonriders to live in in each building. Because of space constraints, dragons sleep in large pavilions built around the dragonrider apartments.
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:02 am

Season - Early Winter 2049
Time - Mid Morning
Location - Atricis Weyr | Dragon Pavilion

@Ember | Calibane
It began with tragedy. N'kili heard word of an opal's passing back in Evanoria. She recalled the pair from her dealings with Evanoria during her time in Walled, enough so to recognise the name when news broke. Therefore, she was not entirely surprised when several days later, the names Calibane and Arieth appeared on her transfer list from the Weyrleaders. Immediately, N'kili set to work. Once she located a vacant dwelling, she contacted the Headman to supply the apartment with the bare essentials that it seemed Calibane would require. All the rest, the pyriterider would undoubtedly have sent, or would request them on arrival.

Will I have a new pyrite friend again? Omiimiith piped into her thoughts as the opalrider inspected a vacant apartment one last time before Calibane and Arieth appeared.

Yes, you will have a new friend, my dear. Another pyrite to sun bathe with, N'kili answered as she checked the cupboards one last time. She had all ready gone over the bedroom and bathing room, while the living room appeared ready for its new occupant. Later, N'kili would have to thank Headman Andreasan for his diligence.

Pyrites... Omiimiith gave pause before she asked the question that so often followed when the topic of pyrites came up. Why don't I ever see my brother?

N'kili frowned at the mention of her twin brother. Ever since they departed for Walled turns ago, Omiimiith had lost all contact with her twin. Since their return, the pyrite remained strangely absent, leaving Omiimiith to miss him dearly on the rare event that she recalled him. Considering the circumstances, however, now was not the time to succumb to melancholy. You will have to be strong, my love. Arieth lost his sister, and doesn't need any reminders of that. You should stay positive for him, and be as welcoming as possible. Try to show him around, show him your favourite places to sun bathe, and the best places to swim. Make him feel welcome and loved.

Of course he'll be loved. He's a dragon in a weyr.

Yes, yes he is. With several more sweeps, N'kili was satisfied the home was ready. She made sure to lock the door on her way out before she pocketed the keys and stepped outside. Once the winter sun struck her cheeks, Duke swooped down to join her. I think everything is ready, and they should be here any moment. Do call them down to us when they arrive, Omiimiith, she asked of her dragon as she stepped out to the landing space.

When Arieth emerged, Omiimiith did just that, calling out to her new friend with a trill. Arieth, I am Omiimiith, and my rider and I are by the pavilions on the upper level of the weyr. Lest he still have difficulty, she offered a sweet whistle to the pyrite.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:44 am

This wasn't going to be easy. For her maybe, but for Arieth? He still was asking why they had left, why they couldn't go back for his sister, as if he'd forgotten already what had happened. Perhaps a part of him had, but he was quick to remember when he'd glance inside his rider's mind, only to be instantly reminded of why they had come to Atricis, and why it was now home instead of belonging to Evanoria. He was slightly ashen around the muzzle, as if his mourning call had turned him gray there on purpose, and she patted his shoulder as he arrived from between.

Arieth, I am Omiimiith, and my rider and I are by the pavilions on the upper level of the weyr.

He looked about for the voice, sweet though it was, and quickly discovered where it had come from. There, among the pavilions, just as described, and he glanced over his shoulder at his curious rider as she tried to glance around him herself to see what it was he was looking at. It didn't take long, as she saw the bright gleaming surface of an opal, and she winced. Why would they send them an opal after what had happened?

I don't know her. She is not my sister.

Calibane sighed and pinched at her nose. She would have to deal with this, it seemed, before she could comfort her dragon, then rest herself. Just land, Ari. I promise you'll be fine. She stroked his shoulder through her attitude. Just be nice. For once in their life together, she was the one that would have to be voice, not him. She didn't know how she'd manage that.

The pyrite landed, and inched away from the opal with swirling eyes uncertain of how to respond to her presence. Eventually he would warm up to her, but today was not the day for that it would seem. Calibane removed her helmet and gear, slipped down his shoulder and hooked it to his harness before approaching N'kili, her face just as stern as it had been the day she'd departed Atricis originally. "Is there a reason they would send an opal to greet a mourning pyrite?"

Please visit the above link for a list of my current
characters, links to their profiles, to see what
they look like, and find other little facts about them!

[ Marks Tracker | Graphics Shop | NPC Archive ]

“You fail only if you stop writing.”
— Ray Bradbury —

The gorgeous avatar is by the talented Kaenith.
Shaihulud

Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:16 pm

N'kili stepped back, giving the pyrite the space he required to land. Omiimiith, however, so inclined and longing for the attention of a pyrite after turns left bereft of it, was eager to step through the threshold and offer him all the love and assurance she had to give. Unfortunately, his wing came a touch too close for comfort, spurring the opal to take several steps back. Still, the love omitted from her.

Her rider, however, knew better than to think the appearance of an opal would be well received by a pyrite who had lost his sister. Arieth's rider confirmed as much to her.

"Is there a reason they would send an opal to greet a mourning pyrite?"

Rather than defend herself, N'kili answered with an extended hand to the woman, one to affirm her welcome. "I am N'kili, Speaker of Atricis-" the rank of Speaker wound likely answer Calibane's question, for Speakers and Envoys often dealt with receiving new riders to help them acclimate to their new homes "- I know it is not the most ideal, but I had no other riders available for your transfer... aside from another opalrider." Both the rider and the brown firelizard on her shoulder turned to regard Omiimiith for but a moment before both sets of eyes returned to Calibane. "Since Omiimiith is without her own brother, though admittedly under different circumstances, I thought her empathy for Arieth's loss might be of better comfort than an opal who still has her brother."

The dulcet opal extended her words to both Calibane and Arieth. I am so sorry for what happened, Arieth. It hurts so much not to have our siblings. I miss my brother too. Yet even Omiimiith knew when it might be best to go. If you want, I can go. I just... wanted to help. And for the first time, the joy once present in the opal's eyes suddenly vanished, shifting into notes of melancholic yellow. Omiimiith could go.
Ember

Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:19 am

"Since Omiimiith is without her own brother, though admittedly under different circumstances, I thought her empathy for Arieth's loss might be of better comfort than an opal who still has her brother."

She was intelligent enough to see the sense in that, but after what felt like days of being awake with her dragon, it was difficult to see it. She pinched the bridge of her nose though and tried to breathe through the anger simmering beneath her skin. "I... appreciate your consideration, as I do that of the Weyr." She said at last, trying to remain as diplomatic as she possibly could. After all, N'kili was only trying her best to be kind, even if Callie was being a bit of a bitch due to her own exhaustion and concern for her dragon.

After a moment like that, just telling herself to breath, she finally let her hand drop but didn't look up yet, too engrossed in her shame for her behavior. "Thank you." She would rip into herself later for being so weak, but right now, she was too tired to care.

I am so sorry for what happened, Arieth. It hurts so much not to have our siblings. I miss my brother too. If you want, I can go. I just... wanted to help.

He shifted from foot to foot, feeling bad for not wanting to be around the opal right now, but feel worse about having lost his sister. He searched for, and found, the comfort of his rider's hand and leaned into it with a whimper. It isn't that I don't want you around. It just really hurts that she won't be around ever again. Some of it was fading, and he couldn't remember exactly what she looked like, for example, but that was just one part of the entirety.

— Ray Bradbury —

Shaihulud

Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:09 pm

N'kili would not speak negatively of the pyriterider, for part of her recognised the hurt the woman and her beast likely recovered from. They transferred due to a loss, and where Arieth greyed in mourning, letting the world witness his the suffering of emotional wounds, Calibane instead hardened herself, hiding away her pain behind a wall erected high around her heart.

"I... appreciate your consideration, as I do that of the Weyr."

"Of course," N'kili answered. Though she did not say it outright, the phrase whispered in truth, I understand.

Once the woman's hand fell from her face, she spoke in resignation, "Thank you."

"You're welcome, Calibane." A glance was spared towards the apartment the woman would soon settle into. And then she looked to Arieth once more, checking for any baggage that would need to be carried into the woman's new home. "Let us not delay any longer. If you would like, I can help you carry your items into your apartment-" The Arieth would he free to do as he pleased, whatever he required to sooth that hole in his heart "-and get you settled so you can have some peace and recovery." These things took time, and N'kili knew it was best to let Calibane have the time she needed to care for Arieth and herself.

At Arieth's confession, Omiimiith stepped forward, and ever so carefully, she lowered down before Arieth and extended her snout to him. The very gesture of her movements was one of respect of his space, laced with the longing to comfort the pyrite. If you'd like, I know a good stone to sun bathe on. You can rest, and I can watch over you to keep you safe, she offered. The opal also hoped to keep him company, to show him that even if it was not the same, she would be there for him.
Ember

Wed May 01, 2019 3:56 am

Did she want help, need help? She thought about it a moment before deciding it wouldn't be such a bad thing. Today she just... didn't care really. Her entire being was just too heavy with her concern for Arieth to really bother with any of it overly much, and so she didn't argue when the offer was mad.e Later, when he head clear and things weren't as thick, she might be completely different, but for the time being she was willing to be amiable enough for the sake of her dragon. Anything for Arieth - Arieth before her. "The sooner I get sorted away, the sooner I can get tending to Arieth. So yes, I could use some help getting my possessions carried off."

She didn't have much, but what she had would require more than a trip or two; an additional set of hands would cut that time in half. She glanced at her dragon, whom was with the other woman's opal, and while he looked hesitant to be alone with her, she had the sense that he would be okay for a few moments at least. *I'll be right back, okay. Would you like me to leave Persephone with you?* The croon of confirmation she received was enough, and the while the starlizard wanted nothing more than to stick away in a dark, cool location, she crooned and curled up underneath the pyrite's body where it was nice and shaded.

For his part, Arieth was trying to stay relaxed, and it was helping that this opal didn't look like his sister. The longer he remained in her company, the easier it was becoming to be in her company at least. He watched her for a moment before the idea became a little too much to resist, but there had to be a condition. Is there a spot there that's nice enough, cool enough, and shaded enough for my friend Persephone? His rider's starlizard poked her head out from where she was squared away and gave a trill, and it was obvious that she was acting as much a soothing comfort to the pyrite as the offer to share a sunny spot was about to.

— Ray Bradbury —

Shaihulud

Wed May 08, 2019 1:07 pm

"The sooner I get sorted away, the sooner I can get tending to Arieth. So yes, I could use some help getting my possessions carried off."

Rather than delay, N'kili gave a nod of her head, and stepped towards Calibane with hands open, ready to carry whatever was necessary. Though her body had softened over the turns since her impression, N'kili still had a surprisingly strong form. She owed this in part to her time as a dragonrider, but mostly to her former youth as leisurely runner and swimmer. The muscle was not nearly as apparent as it once was, but much of the strength still lingered. With ease, she lifted the offered packs, willing to even carry two if required, and then with a motion of her head, she began to lead Calibane to her home.

It is not my favourite place, but I do know a good place at this time of day for but you and your starlet. There are a few stones near the waterfall where you can get some nice sun, but the water also hits there, and there is shade too. The opal gathered herself back to her feet and unfurled her wings. It you don't mind a little mist, I could take you there. The warmth of the sun would balance out the cool they would experience from misty gusts of the waterfall.

N'kili made a glance at the two dragons, and smiled softly. At least it seemed like Arieth was willing to find some comfort in Atricis while she helped settle Calibane in her new home.

As she walked, N'kili felt the constant jingle of keys juggled in her pocket while she carried Calibane's belongs. It annoyed her just enough to want to do something about it. Once she gave pause in her steps, she made a whistle, summoning Duke's assistance. The little brown chattered and swooped about in excitement. "Dearest, please take these-" She thought of the keys in her pocket.

Duke did not hesitate to help when requested, and swooped down catch himself on her skirt and nose his way into her pocket. It took only several sniffs and chatters before he fetched them and slipped off again.

Thankful for his assitance, N'kili sent to beast a loving thought before she turned her attentions back to Calibane. Did she say anything? She supposed not. Calibane seemed like a woman of few words, and N'kili was one to respect that. Instead, she walked towards the porch, and into the complex. "Here we are," she finally announced once they reached the door. Setting the items down, N'kili reached and took the keys from Duke. Then she unlocked the door and opened it, revealing a quaint living space for the pyriterider. With a gentle lift of her hand, she offered Calibane the chance to enter first. N'kili would follow behind with the items.
Ember

Thu May 16, 2019 1:51 am

It you don't mind a little mist, I could take you there.

He didn't really need to consider it. The idea was a nice one. Anything to get out of the sun. She liked the sun. He whimpered and tried to hide himself under his wing for a moment and his eyes swirled with hints of oranges and reds. It was a shame he had to meet someone so nice at a time when his sister was gone. She would have liked this opal, as friendly of a being as she had been. For a moment, a split moment that came and went very quickly, he almost said no, simply due to the thoughts and feelings coursing through him.

But then Persephone crooned and rubbed against him, and he crooned back. She was trying her best to anchor him in the here and now, at least now that she was with him, and he thanked his rider's little friend for that. That would be nice, yes please. And... I apologize for being the way that I am right now. I am just very sad at the moment. My rider says that I will forget someday, but I don't want to forget my sister. She shouldn't be forgotten. Or does she just mean the pain?

"Here we are,"

Calibane didn't need much in her life. A little space, a chance to do her craft when it suited her, the chance to be in solitude when that came about as well. This space seemed like it would provide her with that, which is all she really needed in this world. She looked around and nodded her head in approval. "This will do just fine." She set her things aside, but made no move to begin unpacking, simply set about to begin inspecting things a little. "What do I need to know about Atricis in the time that I've been gone?" She asked, a simple enough question, but one that might seem rather sudden to the other woman.

— Ray Bradbury —

Shaihulud

Sat May 18, 2019 12:30 am

That would be nice, yes please. And... I apologize for being the way that I am right now. I am just very sad at the moment. My rider says that I will forget someday, but I don't want to forget my sister. She shouldn't be forgotten. Or does she just mean the pain?

You don't have to apologise, Omiimiith was quick to croon back in assurance. I don't know what she means, but I don't think we will never fully forget the ones that we love. Though Omiimiith did not often think of her brother, time to time the feeling that he existed caused her to slip into her rider's memories to recall that which had been only somewhat forgotten. It pained her at times, even now when so freshly reminded of that which she lost, but it hurt far less than it use to. We should enjoy the sun while it is still high... She stepped forward to give the pyrite a nudge at his shoulder in a show of gentle encouragement. I promise, you'll like it.

Yes, Mimi, please encourage him to recover, N'kili thought to her dragon. It pleased her to know that Arieth considered the offer, and it seemed like he might very well concede to it. It would help him recover, which would hopefully extend to Calibane as well. While the woman tried to strictly show a sole concern for her dragon's wellbeing, N'kili suspected the pyriterider also too felt that sense of loss, not just for the dragon, but for the rider. Bonded to opal and pyrite, the pair would have known each other since Weyrlinghood, and must have been closely acquainted after all these turns. The loss must have hurt Calibane as well, for no one was immune to such grief as death.

Yet Calibane remained stoic as she began to unpack. "This will do just fine. What do I need to know about Atricis in the time that I've been gone?"

For now, N'kili respected Calibane's space. let the woman grieve on her own terms. "Well... as you know, Safryn is Weyrwoman now, and L'van is Weyrleader, while A'ric is currently Weyrsecond... We have also been working closely with the Flotilla where the pearlriders reside. Depending on which Wing you serve, you might find yourself spending a bit of time with them-" though perhaps such a thing would be good for Arieth "-Not much has changed aside from the pearls, nothing that will affect your work at least-" there were some more political matters to face, but nothing that concerned Calibane at this time "-Also, if your dragon is search capable, we could use his help. Andromedath has a clutch hardening, and the weyr could also do with a few more candidates."

It was an offer to Calibane, the chance to busy herself if she so desired.
Ember

Sat May 25, 2019 4:52 pm

I promise, you'll like it.

Arieth decided to stop thinking for now. It was hurting the more he attempted to dig into his thoughts, to try and hold on. Maybe if he let go, at least for a little while, it would stop making his hearts ache and his mind swell with her memories. He crooned softly and agreed that some time in the sun would be nice, lovely even. A little time in the sun... yes please. I'm sure you know the best spots too. He complimented, wanting to ensure the opal knew he appreciated her efforts.

"-Also, if your dragon is search capable, we could use his help. Andromedath has a clutch hardening, and the weyr could also do with a few more candidates."

She lifted one of her delicate shoulders and grabbed a ribbon from one of her bags, twisting it around her hand after tying it off at the ends. "He doesn't. He has other senses about him, mostly where I'm concerned." That's where she left it off at as she tied her hair back, and twisted it into a bun. "But every so often he gets lucky. He's Searched a few for Ivory Tower." She wasn't bragging, merely stating fact in that stoic manner of hers. "He's with your opal? He doesn't seem upset. Good." She grabbed one of her bags and placed it on a table to begin unpacking it. "Its the first time since it happened that he hasn't whimpered in my head. Its... a relief, actually."

— Ray Bradbury —