A Brush With Death ~ Tag: I'ent/Kolyat

The Crafter Complex is a series of buildings that contain craft halls and rooms for the crafters of New Atricis to work. There is a single dorm building for apprentices, while journeyman and masters live in second floor rooms in their respective crafts. Off to the side from the complex is the largest building, the Infirmary, where everyone in the Weyr receives Healer attention and desk workers keep track of who comes and goes at the entrance to the Infirmary.
Parker
Site Admin
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him

Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:55 pm

No Rest for the Wicked Used
@LdyPayne @Ember
(Warning for some violence)

Date: Autumn 2049
Location: Starts off in The Bottoms, then moves to the weyryard and finally the infirmary
Time: Late at night

The clash of metal against metals echoed in the narrow alleyway. The sounds of muffled struggling could be heard under the singing of blades, but if any unfortunate soul should happen upon the dance of death they would have been smart and left well enough alone. This was the Bottoms and if you didn't look out for yourself then you were stupid.

The Reaper and the Justicar locked blades and pressed in close, each trying to drive the point home. "Better say your peace with the goddesses, Reaper...while you still have the chance." The Justicar sneered. His strength was greater, but the Reaper was faster and more cunning. Before he wasted all of his strength on trying to hold back the Justicar's blade, he brought a swift knee up to the man's gut, causing him to double over. The Reaper spun away and behind as the Justicar swung his short sword out at him. The sharp edge managed to kiss the skin of his shoulder, but it was a superficial wound. The Justicar had no chance to defend himself as a dagger was quickly buried in his ribcage.

The Justicar dropped to the ground, heaving in pain, as the Reaper stood above him. He kicked and rolled the man onto his stomach and kicked the short sword from out of his reach. Then, he knelt down over the dying man. "Didn't anyone teach you to keep your mouth shut until your enemy was for sure bested? Now, I get to have the pleasure of..." His words were cut off as the Justicar began to laugh hysterically with what little breath and energy he had left. "The only pleasure you'll have this night, Reaper, is the fact I'll have died before you."

A quizzical expression crossed his face. What the fuck did that mean? He was barely scratched. That was when he noticed it. A tingly and numbness that was starting in his mouth and tongue, but also through his body, especially where the blade had lightly bit into his skin. "Poison." He said out loud, to which the Justicar just laughed more. Without a second thought, he put an end to the Justicar and quickly began to head to where Wraith waited for him. Wraith, we need to go and we need to go now. Come fast, but try to remain unseen. It did not take long for the chimera to get there, by that time the tingly, numb sensation was stronger and he was beginning to feel nauseous. Get us back home, then call for I'ent. Locke said as he mounted his beast.

Once over the sky of New Atricis, Wraith whirled in stealthily down to the weyryard. I'ent! We need you. Locke's been hurt. We're in the weyryard. Get here quickly! Wraith called out to the younger greenrider. Locke, feeling worse with every minute, began to dismount from his dragon quicky. He was not as well-versed in the knowledge of poison, but he knew some and at the moment he was confident that if he got to a healer in time, he would likely live.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
F'lin | Zaynallen | C'sian | Sid'nis | Ao'mek | Lorcan | So'cles | Athaleyah | Locke
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Najden | Darrow | Kisle'vis | Car'vis | Ferghas | Corbin | Calivander | Epiphany

.::..::..::..::..::..
LdyPayne

Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:33 pm

The sound of Wraith's voice in his head woke up I'ent just as quickly if the chimera had bit him. Despite all the Turns he had lived in New Atricis I'ent woke easily and had clothing on before Wraith even finished his message. Ever since he admitted both to himself and Locke how much he cared for him I'ent dreaded the day he would learn Locke was badly hurt, captured or worse, killed while off on one of his pointless revenge trips.

Fortunately Wraith had said 'hurt' and not dying so I'ent's heart wasn't completely on the verge of shattering in his chest but that didn't lessen the sickening worry he felt. He ran out of his apartment and down towards the Weyryard, not wanting to waste the time it would take to mount and dismount Shireth. Fortunately it wasn't very far from his home to where Wraith had landed.

"Locke!" I'ent called out in a barely hushed call as he headed towards Wraith, his eyes only focused on the dark form he could see coming off the Chimera's back. The form disappeared as Locke's dark clothing blended in completely with the black of Wraith's hide but I'ent knew his friend was still there.

"How badly are you hurt, where?" I'ent babbled as soon as he was at his side already convinced he'll feel a huge gaping hole somewhere on Locke's body gushing blood. "We better get you to the Infirmary because I'm no Healer..." he added. He had about as much basic first aid training any dragonrider received but I'ent doubted that would be enough. Locke could patch himself up if that was all he needed. No, this was far worse than a few scratches and it was just too dark for I'ent to even see the extent of damage.

@Parker
Parker
Site Admin

Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:40 am

Locke struggled to get down from his chimera and thanked the goddess that he was as small as he was. Still, he more or less fell to the ground instead of dismounting as gracefully as he normally did. The jarring impact of the ground coming up to meet him made the nausea he was feeling even worse. He couldn't help but fall to his knees and expel whatever food was still in his stomach from dinner earlier. That, of course, was when I'ent showed up but at least he was done retching for the time being.

"How badly are you hurt, where? We better get you to the Infirmary because I'm no Healer..."

It was beginning to get hard to breathe, but Locke managed to turn to I'ent and cling onto him so he could stand to his feet. "It's barely a scratch. Damn bastard had his blade coated with poison." He answered him as he held onto the greenrider for balance. "Yes, as much as I hate it, we need a healer." There would be no argument from him this time and slowly they began to head to the infirmary that was close by. Locke sent a silent thanks to Wraith for having landed them so close.

"I can't be positive, but I believe he used aconite." It was his best guess though he wasn't entirely knowledgable on poisons. However, the difficulty in breathing, the numbness, and the pain he was experiencing on top of the nausea made him think it was that specific poison. If that was the case, then they needed to act fast. People could live from it...depending on how much was administered. Thankfully he'd only gotten a scratch of it, but even that could be fatal if not treated quickly.
F'lin | Zaynallen | C'sian | Sid'nis | Ao'mek | Lorcan | So'cles | Athaleyah | Locke
Najden | Darrow | Kisle'vis | Car'vis | Ferghas | Corbin | Calivander | Epiphany

LdyPayne

Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:54 am

"Poison," I'ent repeated in a worried hiss. Even in the dim light of the Weyryard this close to the Infirmary he could see how pale Locke looked. It made him angry to learn the justicars were resorting to such means to kill Locke but it also terrified him if the Justicars were that determined to kill The Reaper it was only a matter of time before they will succeed. For all he knew they had already, especially if they used some rare and very deadly poison the Infirmary didn't have an antidote for.

"By the Ancients Locke...you really have to stop going after them," I'ent exclaimed as he ducked under Locke's arm and wrapped his own around Locke's waist to support him. He didn't say anything else, instead focusing on getting Locke to the Infirmary as quickly as possible. I'ent continued to listen to Locke however, knowing it was important to know what poison was likely used. I'ent hadn't studied poisons much so didn't know anything but even he heard of aconite. Unfortunately he just recognized the name and that it was a poison, nothing else.

As soon as they stepped into the Infirmary I'ent headed to the first empty bed he said. "I need a Healer now!" he shouted without ceremony. "Preferably one who knows how to counteract aconite poisoning!"

@Parker @Ember / Kolyat
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:43 pm

Kolyat liked to think he was a good healer. He provided a service to the people of the Weyr, as he had since his Apprentice days, and he would until his final breath was drawn as a humble Master. He enjoyed what he did and always would, helping those with what he could, when he could, as often as he could. Something in his youth, due to his mother had drawn him to the service of healing and he would never understand it completely, but it had gone above and beyond the call of the dragon's blood that surely should have shown up in his veins thanks to the apparent dragonriders that had brought him into the world.

The fact that he happened to know exactly how to treat aconite poisoning, had him acting before any of the other healers on duty could truly respond to the situation at hand. He moved forward, rolling his sleeves up, and directing them towards one of the available rooms while giving the obviously poisoned individual a cursory inspection. "How long ago did the poison enter your system?" His mind wouldn't be gone, it typically didn't happen with this type of poison; other things usually occurred, which he would be on the look out for - giddiness, vomiting with pain, labored breathing, but rarely were minds detached. "And how?"

Please visit the above link for a list of my current
characters, links to their profiles, to see what
they look like, and find other little facts about them!

[ Marks Tracker | Graphics Shop | NPC Archive ]

“You fail only if you stop writing.”
— Ray Bradbury —

The gorgeous avatar is by the talented Kaenith.
Parker
Site Admin

Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:00 am

"By the Ancients Locke...you really have to stop going after them,"

Locke grabbed a handful of I'ent's tunic as the greenrider wrapped an arm around his waist to help steady him on his feet. Already his skin was cold and clammy and it felt as if his heart couldn't decide if it wanted to beat fast or slow. "Yeah yeah...how about we talk about this when I'm not dying...alright, love?" He knew how I'ent felt and there was a part of him that wished he could simply agree with the man and stop doing what he was doing... but he knew that he couldn't. Or he didn't want to. That didn't really matter right now, though.

"I need a Healer now! Preferably one who knows how to counteract aconite poisoning!"

The pain was greater by the time that got into the infirmary. "Hey, maybe not announce to the entire infirmary I've been poisoned. I don't exactly want to have to lie to everyone about what happened." Locke scolded his friend. He was about to say something else, but a wave of nausea cut him off as they headed towards a room and a bed.

"How long ago did the poison enter your system? And how?"

Locke managed to sit down on the bed, but he kept a hold of some part of I'ent's clothing. For all his responses were made in a light fashion, he knew how serious this was. He could very well die tonight. Perhaps that was something that should scare him more, but then he realized that he would finally be with Kent again and so the thought of dying did not terrify him as much. However, he was loathed to leave I'ent and his children, so keeping a hold of the greenrider kept him grounded. "Maybe fifteen minutes ago. I have an open scratch... I didn't realize I was so close to some aconite." He explained, leaving out the fact that it was a blade coated in it.

@LdyPayne @Ember

LdyPayne

Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:39 pm

I'ent was definitely going to talk to Locke about this once Locke was better so he dropped it for now. All he really wanted right now was to get Locke to the Infirmary and get a Healer to counteract the poison before it was too late.

He felt a bit bad for yelling out Locke had been poisoned but when it brought a Healer who quickly guided them to a room and bed, I'ent decided it was worth it. Besides he was sure Locke lied to plenty of people when he needed to and adding a few more wouldn't kill him. Focusing on helping Locke to the bed and to sit on it, I'ent didn't get a chance to respond to the Healer.

"I told you to bandage it up Candlemarks ago didn't I," I'ent added, his voice mock scolding but sounding more worried than anything. "But no, you had to be tough and not bother with it at all now look at where's it brought you." He was going to add more but decided too much probably make the lie sound just that, a lie. Huffing instead he looked over to the Healer.

"You can help him right? Is there anything you need to to do?" I'ent offered. He was no Infirmary Aide but he could certainly help hold Locke down or fetch a bucket if it looked like Locke was going to heave again.

@Ember , @Parker
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:40 pm

Kolyat didn't spend much time at the wound, it wouldn't do him much good when trying to treat the man for posion. If he had any suspicions about how it entered his system, the healer said nothing and instead started for one of the cabinets where he began to draw out bottles and dishes that he would need. Upon being asked by I'ent if help could be provided, he nodded.

"Head to the bar, or wherever you can get alcohol... just listen." He grabbed some digitalis to make an emetic out of, then fetched the proper fluid necessary to create the drink. "I need brandy. I may not need it, but if the emetic doesn't work to force the poison from his body, then that'll be the next step." He wouldn't say just yet how it would be delivered into the man's system, but he wasn't going to be shy about it either if asked - just not now.

To Locke, he stated simply, "I'm going to guess you're not the sort to be squeamish about vomiting. May not like it, but won't have an issue with it necessarily?" He was quick to mix up what he needed, knowing how quickly poisons could work through a person's body, and this one had already been in his system long enough. "Because I'm about to make you do a lot of it."

He grabbed a pail from another cabinet and carried the emetic over. "This is going to taste about as good as it will coming up, but you need to drink all of it." He held the cup, and refused to let go of it, as it was brought towards the man.

@Parker @LdyPayne

Please visit the above link for a list of my current
characters, links to their profiles, to see what
they look like, and find other little facts about them!

[ Marks Tracker | Graphics Shop | NPC Archive ]

“You fail only if you stop writing.”
— Ray Bradbury —

The gorgeous avatar is by the talented Kaenith.
Parker
Site Admin

Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:59 pm

"I told you to bandage it up Candlemarks ago didn't I. But no, you had to be tough and not bother with it at all now look at where's it brought you."

Locke looked up at his friend. Leave it to him to spin a plausible tale of how he'd gotten himself poisoned. His hand reached for I'ent's, grabbed it, and then he pressed a kiss to it. "Just trying to show off for you, love." He teased a little. They both knew what he had really been doing. Thank the goddesses that I'ent was smart enough and fast enough to think of grabbing a wastebasket. One second he was fine and the next he was clenching the damn thing. However, nothing came up, just dry heaves. He watched as I'ent left to get the brandy and wished for him to return home quickly.

"I'm going to guess you're not the sort to be squeamish about vomiting. May not like it, but won't have an issue with it necessarily? Because I'm about to make you do a lot of it."

Locke's color was even more pallid and clammy. Sweat was starting to form on his brow and his chest. "No, I'm not the sort to be squeamish. Give me whatever you have to save my life." He looked and gestured to where I'ent had gone. "I would never forgive myself if I died and left him alone." He told the healer with sincere emotion. What other sorts of emotion was one supposed to have when they thought they were dying?

"This is going to taste about as good as it will coming up, but you need to drink all of it."

"That's fine. Whatever I have to do," Locke said as he took the cup and then downed all of the contents. He was a hardened drinker, so it wasn't as if he didn't know how to take something that tasted awful. Once he was done with the drink he handed the cup back.

LdyPayne

Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:17 am

Locke's words and kiss on his hand brought a brief smile to I'ent's face but there was little time to comment more given Locke once more was heaving into the basket. Fortunately it was just dry heaves but the frequency of the urges worried him. He looked up at the Healer who seemed to be more focused on gathering things at the moment.

"Just pull through this, that's all you need to do to show off for me," I'ent told him, rubbing Locke's shoulder.

Then the Healer was saying something about I'ent going to a bar and he at first thought the Healer wanted just to get rid of him or worse, have him get a head start on drinking just in case Locke didn't make it. It sent a cold stab of fear through his heart which was the only reason he just gaped at the Healer, giving the man enough time to finish his train of thought. Blinking I'ent glanced over at Locke then back to the Healer.

"Alright, but he better be better when I get back," I'ent threatened. He looked at Locke and did his best to give the older man an encouraging smile before leaving. As soon as he was out of the Infirmary I'ent ran. There was no way he was going to waste time by walking to the nearest place he knew alcohol could be found. For a moment he considered heading to Locke's apartment but realized the man drank so much since Kent died he doubted there was any alcohol left. Instead he headed for the bar and demanded a bottle of brandy. It cost him but I'ent didn't care, he would get the Healer to reimburse him once Locke was safe.

Despite rushing as fast as he could it still took him nearly a half Candlemark to return to the Infirmary.

ooc: Feel free to skip over I'ent for a round or two...if needed. I'll jump in when the time is right

@Parker @Ember