Who's the Daddy - Parker | Ferghas

The Crafter Complex is a series of buildings that contain craft halls and rooms for the crafters of New Atricis to work. There is a single dorm building for apprentices, while journeyman and masters live in second floor rooms in their respective crafts. Off to the side from the complex is the largest building, the Infirmary, where everyone in the Weyr receives Healer attention and desk workers keep track of who comes and goes at the entrance to the Infirmary.
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:16 pm

Season - Late Autumn
Time - Afternoon
Location - Infirmary | Maternity Ward

@Parker | Ferghas
Word of the pregnancy reached him in its final week, though it came with a catch: the baby may or may not be his. Apparently a liaison he allowed himself to enjoy nearly nine months prior had not been as exclusive as he originally thought. Oddly enough, he was surprised she had so much energy despite the time they had spent together. Now that he thought about it, however, she did seem rather insatiable despite his valiant efforts.

Edria was a lovely woman, charming... sly... Even when she presented the news to him, feigning that look of worry, he knew better than to believe she truly shared any true concern.

A chuckle escaped the greenrider as he regarded the woman. It was a weyr after all, and if there was even a chance the child was his, he would happily play the part of a father, at least as much as being a rider would allow.

It had been some time since he last saw a woman glow as much as she did in that moment. Perhaps he had underestimated her worry.

When word reached him several days later that Edria had gone into labour, M'vel took his time to appear in the infirmary. He washed himself, and dressed into a fresh set of clothes. These processes could take forever, and he wanted to feel his best before succumbing to the hours of wait and exhaustion... along with that exquisite stench that so often acccompanied a hygienically neglected form. With that thought, he gave himself a spray of cologne to help uplift his pleasant aroma just a notch or two more before his hours in the infirmary began to widdle away at his pristine cleanliness.

How long will it take her egg to hatch? Surely not too long. It is only one egg. So often did Locrath forget how long labour lasted, dragging on through the night, and often deep into the next day. He once even waited in the infirmary for three days. Though he loved the sound of those first squalls of life, he remembered most of all the relief of soaking in a warm bath afterwards, in order to do away with the smell of redwart, numbweed, repugnant herbs and sweat that he had marinated in all that time.

If the labour lasted longer than a day with no end in sight, he would not hesitate to duck off for a quick wash this time.

Upon his arrival, he made his way to the labour ward. He knew the walk all too well, and found Edria's room with ease. At the moment, the healers were with her, and he unwanted, so M'vel did the polite thing of waiting outside her room... only to find out that while he might be the first to arrive, he was not the only one to show.

A curious look swept over the new face, a kind one. The sociable greenrider offered his hand to the new arrival. "Here for Edria?"
Parker
Site Admin
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him

Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:31 am

Ferghas could only silently complain about his luck. Well, not so silently to Fersk who had been listening to him for the last several days. She had tried to put a positive spin on things, but her handler still wasn't quite sure how to take the news he'd been given.

While he was a man of pleasure and enjoyed the finer things of life, he honestly wasn't the sort to sleep around all that often. It would be his luck that when he found himself unable to resist the charm of one woman in particular, that it would end up that she was pregnant. Edria was a fine specimen of a woman, beautiful and charming. She had him under her spell from the moment he had first laid eyes on her. After their first meeting, he had her had shared a few fun nights together, but being who he was he was upfront about not wanting anything serious.

A few days ago she had come to see him and told him the news. She was with child and it may or may not be his. Ferghas thanked her for her honesty and asked to be told whenever she did go into labor. However, the thought of having a child was not entirely a pleasant one for him. He didn't like kids, though that hadn't always been the case. When he had lost his beloved wife and their unborn child to bandits he had swore that that part of his life was over with and he wanted nothing more to do with having a family of any sort. He was much happier being a crime lord who only worried about himself and his wher. However, for all he was not a good man, he did follow his own code of honor and took responsibility for his actions. If this was indeed his child then he felt no choice but to be a part of its life somehow.

Finally, a message came to him about Edria's going into labor. Ferghas took a moment to make sure he was presentable and then made his way to the infirmary. He had known beforehand that he was not the only possible father, so it did not surprise him too much that there was another man already waiting outside of the delivery room.

"Here for Edria?"

"Aye, that I am." He answered the greenrider, by his knots, and returned the firm handshake. "Ferghas, handler of Sunset Fersk. I take it you are the possible other father Edria spoke of." He stated in a friendly manner. Immediately he hoped that this man would be the one deserving of congratulations later on.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
F'lin | Zaynallen | C'sian | Sid'nis | Ao'mek | Lorcan | So'cles | Athaleyah | Locke
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Najden | Darrow | Kisle'vis | Car'vis | Ferghas | Corbin | Calivander | Epiphany

.::..::..::..::..::..
Shaihulud

Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:20 pm

M'vel gave a firm shake of the shorter... no... this man was simply short, even by normal standards expected by a man. Yet M'vel shook his hand nonetheless, and with little to no delay. To do so would have been rude, and M'vel never cared for ill manners.

"Aye, that I am."

This man, with wher nots hanging from his shoulder, was certainly older, likely nearing his forties if he had not reached the decade already. Eyes were broadly set upon a round face, a visage frame by a short crop of a smothered brown hair. Were it not for the thick arches of his brows and his pointed features from nose to chin, this man easily would have blended in with a crowd of cavern workers; instead, such features made him stand out just enough to leave his current company curious. Clearly, that was the case for Edria, or else this man would not have stood with M'vel, waiting for the same question as the greenrider: Is the child mine?

"Ferghas, handler of Sunset Fersk. I take it you are the possible other father Edria spoke of."

"M'vel, rider of Green Locrath. And that is what I am told," M'vel answered as he offered the seat next to him. "Though... I was under the impression there might be another..." he made a glance down the corridor, but there was no other man in sight aside from the workers of the infirmary. "I would apologise for the circumstances, but... I have a feeling that is not necessary," he looked to his fellow man, and offered a rather devious smirk. "Edria did indicate that she was taken at the time, though I doubt that is the case with her even now."

He crossed his arms and leaned back into the rickety seat, only heard worn wood sigh beneath him. No matter. So long as he could make do with what the infirmary had to offer without it breaking beneath him, M'vel would not complain.

Though mindful of Ferghas, he did spread his knees enough to give his loins some room to breathe. Even in autumn, the buildings could get a bit too warm for M'vel's tastes.
Parker
Site Admin

Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:20 pm

"M'vel, rider of Green Locrath. And that is what I am told. Though... I was under the impression there might be another..."

"Pleasure," Ferghas said with a smile. "Oh?" He asked as his eyebrows rose curiously. "This is the first I am hearing about this, though I can't say I am surprised by the fact either." Obviously, if there was already a possible two fathers then it wasn't a stretch to believe that there could be a third. Honestly, he hoped that it was true. The more possibilities the less his chances that he was the father.

"I would apologize for the circumstances, but... I have a feeling that is not necessary. Edria did indicate that she was taken at the time, though I doubt that is the case with her even now."

The devious smirk was returned in kind. "Your feelings would be correct." He stated with a chuckle. "She didn't indicate anything with me and in fact, I preferred for her not to. It was just a single night of fun and that's all I cared for it to be." He took a seat next to the greenrider and pulled his flask out of his pocket. "I should have known that it would come back to bite me in the arse." He stated as he took a pull from the flask before offering it to the greenrider. They were likely going to be here for a while, might as well make the most of it.

"You have other children?" Ferghas asked curiously.
F'lin | Zaynallen | C'sian | Sid'nis | Ao'mek | Lorcan | So'cles | Athaleyah | Locke
Najden | Darrow | Kisle'vis | Car'vis | Ferghas | Corbin | Calivander | Epiphany

Shaihulud

Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:54 pm

"This is the first I am hearing about this, though I can't say I am surprised by the fact either."

Though M'vel chuckled at the man's response, he did not dare elaborate further. While he had assumed that Ferghas would have known, he knew better than to fill the man in further on what details Ferghas was clearly not privy too. It seemed Edria had her reasons, so M'vel would respect them.

Your feelings would be correct. She didn't indicate anything with me and in fact, I preferred for her not to. It was just a single night of fun and that's all I cared for it to be."

M'vel could understand that, he thought as Ferghas joined him. While his legs were fanned out, he still remained mindful of the handler at his side. When the flask was offered, M'vel accepted it with a smirk. "Thank you."

"I should have known that it would come back to bite me in the arse."

"It normally does," M'vel admitted teasingly just before he took a nice long swig and handed the flask back to the handler.

"You have other children?"

A proper laugh escaped the greenrider before he regarded the man with bright blue eyes and a conceding nod. "Yes, about several times a turn in fact. Always enjoy the opportunity to have a good night. Find it unnecessary to say 'no'. I'm sure the creche has had just about enough of me by now." A foster mother of several of his children often berated him for his rate of procreation. M'vel merely replied in jest that someone needed to keep the creche from becoming obsolete. "What about yourself? You have kids?"
Parker
Site Admin

Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:02 am

"Thank you. It normally does,"

Ferghas took the flask back, took one more swig for himself, and then put it back into his pocket. "Ain't that the truth..." He stated sourly and then under his breath he said, "Bullocks." This was not at all how he thought he'd be spending his time today. Ferghas wasn't an idle man, so he didn't like just sitting and waiting.

"Yes, about several times a turn in fact. Always enjoy the opportunity to have a good night. Find it unnecessary to say 'no'. I'm sure the creche has had just about enough of me by now."

Well, with that information, Ferghas wasn't at all surprised that the man was here with him now. "Eh, prob'ly not. Were it not for kids, there wouldn't be a need for the creche." He liked enjoying a good night too, but apparently not as much as this man. Besides, the last thing he needed was a bunch of children and their mothers expecting him to be this or that. If this child turned out to be his...he'd do what was right, but only as much as he had to.

"What about yourself? You have kids?"

Feeling a bit fidgety, he pulled out a mark and began to dance it across his knuckles. He might be the head of a sophisticated crime ring, but he still had his skills from his youth... including how deft he was with his hands. "Me? Faranth no. Don't really care to have any, though... I'm not the sort to skip out on my responsibilities. Which is why I'm here."

Shaihulud

Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:26 pm

The curse uttered by Ferghas stirred a spark of laughter in the greenrider's eyes, though M'vel knew his manners enough not to laugh outright at the handler. That would be rude.

"Me? Faranth no. Don't really care to have any, though... I'm not the sort to skip out on my responsibilities. Which is why I'm here."

M'vel gave a nod of understanding. "I feel you there, though... to be fair I don't think I'm the best father. My time is dedicated to the Wing, and while I visit my kids as often as I can, I don't think it will ever be enough. Sometimes it feels like they sprout several finger tips between the times I'm actually able to see them, and learn a brand new vocabulary. Half the time... I swear they've become smarter than me. I mean, how do kids know the things they do? I sure as the void didn't when I was their age." The surprises, however, was part of why he loved them so much. Were it not for his dedication to his wing and his dragon, M'vel promised himself he would have been a more visible father.

Quietly, however, a small part of him realised that might not be the entire truth.

"If it makes you feel better, there is probably a one in three chance at the very least that it's yours. Could be someone else's. Shards, with my luck, it'll probably be mine." He was ready for the child to be born with the finest platinum wisps that marked them as his own.
Parker
Site Admin

Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:22 pm

Ferghas liked to think that he was a pretty good judge of character. After all his turns doing the things he did, working with the people he worked with, he had to have a good grasp of people in order to manipulate and survive them. It was a decision that had to be made within the first few minutes of meeting person what their merit was. He had decided that this greenrider was a man of morals and honor...at least his own set anyways. It was a trait Ferghas could understand.

"Can't say that I have much experience wit' kids. The bit I do, well, they've always come off as proper assholes. Never made me want to have them for myself." That wasn't a total lie, but it wasn't the only reason either. "It's noble of you, though. Still wanting to be a part of their lives and all. You seem to generally want to be a part of their lives too. Some men just put on a show to impress....well, whoever the fuck they think they're impressing."

"If it makes you feel better, there is probably a one in three chance at the very least that it's yours. Could be someone else's. Shards, with my luck, it'll probably be mine."

"Aye, I can hope that is the case....we can both hope that is the case. Don't worry. I won't hold it against ya for hopin' I or this other mystery man is the father. Just don't hold it against me that I'm hopin' the same thing." He stated with a chuckle as he began to flip the mark up and down in his hand. "Think this other mystery father will show up?" He asked curiously.

Shaihulud

Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:25 pm

M'vel could respect that. Some people, men and women alike, simply did not want children. It took a special kind of person to want them, let alone so many of them. Fortunately, for the sake of the world, there were people like M'vel who were more than willing to make up for the numbers lost by those who lived a child free existence.

"It's noble of you, though. Still wanting to be a part of their lives and all. You seem to generally want to be a part of their lives too. Some men just put on a show to impress....well, whoever the fuck they think they're impressing."

The greenrider gave a shrug. "I do what I can, but thank fuck for creche workers. It's easy to have the kid, show up when you can... but they are the ones who actually raise them." Even the day to day work of child rearing overwhelmed the greenrider. Diapers, crying, arguments, messes... In small doses, M'vel could withstand the downside to childrearing, but he would have lost his mind a long time ago had he been forced to raise kids fulltime. He knew it did not make him the best father, something his eldest daughter even once went as far as to point out to him: You like making kids, but you don't like raising them. It pained him to hear those words from Quellyn, but he could not deny it. Just because he made himself visually and constantly present in their lives did not mean he fulfilled the role of father to them.

"Aye, I can hope that is the case....we can both hope that is the case. Don't worry. I won't hold it against ya for hopin' I or this other mystery man is the father. Just don't hold it against me that I'm hopin' the same thing."

A chuckle escaped him. It made no matter to M'vel if this kid found themselves added to the greenrider's plenitude of offspring.

When Ferghas removed a coin to occupy his time with, M'vel had to admit the motion of it rolling across the handler's hand was mesmerising. "Think this other mystery father will show up?"

"Maybe, maybe not. Doesn't really matter though. If the kid is neither of ours... then that is the end of that for me." Though noble by nature, such honour only extend to his obligations. "I am not going to volunteer to be the father. That'll be up to her to figure out."

Before M'vel could say anything more, a cry trembled out from the room. He knew recognised that sound and what it meant. "Sounds like the baby is coming soon. Hopefully it'll be quick." Some women, it did not take long for the baby to fly out of them. Other times, it took hours, days even. M'vel prayed it would be the first. Otherwise, he was going to go grab a proper drink from the dining hall.
Parker
Site Admin

Sat May 04, 2019 8:09 pm

"I do what I can, but thank fuck for creche workers. It's easy to have the kid, show up when you can... but they are the ones who actually raise them."

"Aye. I can't say I have much, if any, dealing with the creche, but it does seem like they are truly heroes." Honestly, Ferghas thought that the creche was worse than a war zone. All those kids, running around, crying, yelling...no thank you. The creche workers were something special indeed to be able to put up with all of that. "I take it you were a weyrbrat growing up?" He asked curiously.

"Maybe, maybe not. Doesn't really matter though. If the kid is neither of ours... then that is the end of that for me. I am not going to volunteer to be the father. That'll be up to her to figure out."

The coin continued to dance among his fingers. "Agreed. That'll be the end of it for me as well. Hopefully, it'll be very obvious when the child is born whose it is." Ferghas hoped that would be the case anyway. Truth be told, he didn't understand how people could look at a baby and say they looked like so and so.

"Sounds like the baby is coming soon. Hopefully it'll be quick."

Ferghas made a face. "Shards, I am very grateful that I was born a male. I can't imagine going through...that." Women were a wonder. They were magnificent in the fact that they could go through childbirth. He would never say that women were weak, if anything, they were stronger than men for that very fact.