Sometimes Too Quiet is Just as Loud >Tag Locke/Parker>

The main, central area of the Weyr, since it's no longer a "bowl" like before, people have taken to calling it the courtyard, or more often, the Weyr Yard. Dragons land and take off here while people walk from building to building going along their daily duties.
LdyPayne

Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:27 am

It was a challenge to adjust to being awake at 7pm instead of his usual 6am wake up time but after a couple Sevendays Kalesskel was getting the hang of it. He had done nightshift as a Belifex, often as punishment for imagined wrongs but it wasn't the same as consistently being up at night. Fortunately adapting was something Kalesskel was good at and he knew by the time a Wher had her next Run he will be well adjusted to a nocturnal life.

With the night's lessons done and the required physical training, Kalesskel had headed towards the practice dummies for those who wanted to practice their weapon skills. Half hour really wasn't much time to get the best workout and he didn't mind losing some free time continuing his usual exercises. On many nights he wasn't the only one but tonight he was on his own. There just wasn't anybody among the Candidates who was as skilled as he was with dual blades, in fact he hadn't met any at New Atricis who used dual blades. Many had skill in using a single blade or blade and shield but this was something Kalesskel was used to. He didn't face many who were his equal in swordsmanship anymore though he was quite certain there were plenty who could be his equal and better, he just hadn't had opportunity to meet them. He would only be interested in sparring with such for the challenge and chance to improve his own skill. It was always better to spar with somebody better otherwise how else can one know they are improving?

The steady sound of stout wood hitting the solid form of the practice dummies was all he heard for some time, even the chirps and flapping wings of Timor, one of his Starlizards who was flying about snatching insects out of the sky. Only when Kalesskel spotted, chest heaving from the workout, did he become aware of the night's sounds. Or more importantly the lack of certain kinds. Shifting both practice blades into one hand he grabbed his towel and wiped it over his face before turning his full attention on why the night didn't sound the way it should.

@Parker

ooc: hope this is a good opening for you, if not I can edit
Parker
Site Admin
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him

Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:25 am

No Rest for the Wicked Used
Trigger warning for violence mentioned

After the debacle of almost falling into a Justicar Trap, Locke had been even more cautious than before whenever he slipped off to Walled Hold to do his business. Thank the goddesses for I'ent. Looking back on that day now, the Reaper was more than sure that the greenrider had not only saved his life once but twice. Had I'ent not stopped him from leaving that tavern he would have allowed his demons to guide him to do something stupid. Instead, he had enjoyed a passion-filled night with his friend. While a part of him worried about hurting I'ent emotionally, he would not say that having that warmth didn't help to chase away the nightmares.

However, he could only keep the bloodlust in check for so long. Not even the pleasure that I'ent could give him could hold it back forever and tonight he had finally given in to the demons' call. Locke had studied, scouted, and double-checked his information before executing his plan of action. Into Walled he had sneaked and in no time, the Reaper's prey was in sight. Like a deadly shadow, he descended upon the Justicar before the man knew what had hit him. However, thanks to his careful planning, he was able to take his time with this one.

Take his time he did and with his face uncovered. When the Reaper took on a Justicar face to face he always revealed himself before the fight ensued. He knew each fight would either end with him being the victor or being dead, so he wanted his enemy to know exactly who he was and why he was doing this. Tonight, his blade had been extra thirsty and his need to inflict pain had made sure that the Justicar's death was slow and filled with anguish. Only once the man had finally succumbed to his injuries, did Locke take the body back to Wraith. When they slipped between the body just happened to fall out of Wraith's claws.

Silently, Wraith circled down to land. They'd done this enough times that he was good at slipping past the watch dragon. Locke dismounted and removed his straps before the chimera headed towards his spot in the pavilion. Locke, however, had to make his way to his apartment and hope that he could avoid being seen by anyone since he did have some blood on him. Of course, the goddess could only grant him so much luck in one night, so as he walked past the sparring rings he realized that there was someone there. Perhaps the man hadn't seen him, but he hadn't exactly been stealthy as he should have been and to try and sneak away now would have been too suspect. He could only be happy that it was dark out and he wore dark clothing.

"Oh, forgive me...I did not think anyone would be in the sparring circle at this hour." Locke feigned a note in his voice as if he'd been startled.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
F'lin | Zaynallen | C'sian | Sid'nis | Ao'mek | Lorcan | So'cles | Athaleyah | Locke
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Najden | Darrow | Kisle'vis | Car'vis | Ferghas | Corbin | Calivander | Epiphany

.::..::..::..::..::..
LdyPayne

Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:13 pm

There, a scuff of a boot as somebody approached in the darkness. Since his eyes had plenty of time to adjust to the low light cast by the few glows arranged around the area Kalesskel didn't have difficulty spotting the man as he approached. In truth he could only see the man's face as whatever clothing he was wearing was dark enough to be indistinguishable from the shadows. Only when he was closer and the faint light of the glows fell upon him did Kalesskel catch enough details to see the man was wearing the sort of clothing easy to move freely in. In fact the sort of clothing Kalesskel himself preferred though he wasn't as likely to wear black.

"Good evening to you," Kalesskel responded politely. He may not have been at New Atricis all that long but he had been among the Wher Candidates long enough to know he was just as much in a low rank here as he had been during his first Turns training for the Legion. "It is far earlier than I would normally be here but recent choices in my life has made it necessary to get used to doing everything at night. I'm more than willing to share the circle with you however, in fact I could use a sparring partner if it interests you."

Taking a step forward he offered his hand to shake, "I'm Kalesskel, a recent addition to the Wher Candidates."

@Parker / Locke
Parker
Site Admin

Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:50 am

"It is far earlier than I would normally be here but recent choices in my life has made it necessary to get used to doing everything at night. I'm more than willing to share the circle with you however, in fact I could use a sparring partner if it interests you."

Locke took a closer look at the man, specifically at his shoulder knots. He was a candidate. The only candidates he knew of that had to get used to doing everything at night were wher candidates. "A wher candidate are you? Yes, I can imagine making that switch isn't easy." Well, he didn't have to imagine. He was more a creature of the night himself, though responsibilities made him a creature of the day as well. He didn't sleep much...by now he was used to it. The man's offer to share the sparring circle made Locke merely stare at him a moment. It wasn't often that he was caught in a moment where he didn't know what to say.

"I'm Kalesskel, a recent addition to the Wher Candidates."

"Oh...um..." Locke quickly wiped his hand on his pants leg and hoped that it was clean enough before he reached out to shake the other man's hand. "Nice to meet you Kalesskel. I'm Locke, rider of Wraith." He supposed he needed to give the candidate an answer about whether or not he wanted to spar. It had been a long night already, he was a bit spent from his earlier activity, but he also didn't think he could sleep right now. However, the only other problem was the state of himself. He'd cleaned up a little before leaving Walled, but he couldn't guarantee that there wasn't still some blood on him.

"And sure...I suppose I could do a little sparring before I head home for the night." Locke really hoped that he didn't regret this decision, but if anything he knew how to spin a good story when necessary.
F'lin | Zaynallen | C'sian | Sid'nis | Ao'mek | Lorcan | So'cles | Athaleyah | Locke
Najden | Darrow | Kisle'vis | Car'vis | Ferghas | Corbin | Calivander | Epiphany

LdyPayne

Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:24 pm

"It's more a challenge getting all my pets used to being active at night than it is for me," Kal responded. "Except for my Starlizards of course. I would likely miss seeing the sun if it wasn't for the fact I am awake early enough to see it set at least."

He noticed Locke rub his hand on his pants before shaking but didn't think much about it. If Locke rubbed his hand after shaking then Kal may feel a little offended by that. As soon as their hands met he could feel the calluses on the dragonrider's hand but wasn't surprised by them. Even with riding gloves Kal expected after Turns of being a rider he built up calluses. His own hands would be callused as any truly dedicated swordsman's would be. Likely he'll add to them once he had a Wher of his own.

"Good to meet you as well Locke," Kal responded. Once finished shaking hands he gestured towards the assorted practice weapons near the sparring area. "I'm looking forward to having a sparring partner but to warn you I'm no novice so don't feel you need to hold back. Take whatever practice weapon you are most comfortable with.'

Kal switched one of his practice blades into his primary hand and moved to one end of the sparring circle and shifted into a ready stance. As confident as he was in his own mastery Kal truly hoped Locke was a skilled fighter himself. He craved a challenging opponent to better improve his own skill but he was a man of principal so he wouldn't press Locke too badly should he prove to be not as skilled. As it was he had no idea of the man's talent so will let him make the first move.

@Parker /Locke
Parker
Site Admin

Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:38 am

"It's more a challenge getting all my pets used to being active at night than it is for me. Except for my Starlizards of course. I would likely miss seeing the sun if it wasn't for the fact I am awake early enough to see it set at least."

"Ah, yes...pets can be rather tricky," Locke agreed. He only had the one firelizard, but more often than not it felt as though he didn't have a pet. Cracker was now with Na'vi, waiting for the time when he would capture whoever it was that was watching her from the Ebonmark slave ring. Before that he had stayed with Mouse for over a turn. "That is something at least. I think I would rather miss the sun if I didn't see it often enough." That was a a slight like. He had grew up in a world without the sun, until coming to Atricis he had not spent much time out of the Bottoms, so he was very use to the dark of night and even preferred it, if he was honest.

Good to meet you as well Locke. I'm looking forward to having a sparring partner but to warn you I'm no novice so don't feel you need to hold back. Take whatever practice weapon you are most comfortable with."

"Alright, I will keep that in mind. Don't feel you have to go easy on me either." Locke assured him as he looked at what practice weapons there were. Perhaps it was an unwise decision picking up a dagger to clash against a sword, but he was better with one dagger than most were good with a sword. His daggers had taken down some of Walled's best fighters. A feat he was rather proud of.

With his weapon chosen he moved to stand in front of Kal. He was already tired from earlier, but he still has some fight in him. His stance was loose, lazy almost, but that was the way he always fought. Make them think he wasn't much of a threat and then prove them wrong. Though, he told himself to go easy at first, until he knew exactly how talented the other man was.

LdyPayne

Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:06 am

"Life would be boring if everything was the same and learning to adapt to a life in the dark is just another challenge to make life interesting." Kalesskel wondered if there had been any Wherhandlers who couldn't manage the lifestyle and if so what happened to them. Then again having all Wher Candidates thrust into a nocturnal schedule at the get go probably weeded out those who couldn't handle it quickly enough. Besides, there were Daywhers now which was an option. He had considered it but he was far more used to patrols in The Bottoms now he knew he would do well as a Wherhandler.

"This should be a good match then," Kal responded then watched as Locke chose his weapon to practice with. He hadn't expected him to go for a dagger, especially just the single one. Most people he had encountered who fought with just knives were usually thieves or criminals. Walled Hold tended to have swordsmen over knife fighters especially within the Legion. Knife fighters were far more common among the poor however. Far cheaper and easier to get a decent dagger than it was a sword not to mention how easy it was to conceal a knife. He then reminded himself this was a rider and from what he had seen so far in New Atricis knives were far more preferring than swords among them.

Kalesskel didn't make any assumptions however about Locke's skill with it. The blade's shorter reach may put him at a disadvantage to Kal's longer blades but that wouldn't present a problem to a skilled knife fighter. Once the other man was in position and in an easy lazy stance, one Kal knew would allow Locke to explode into attack or defense with ease. The man was either quite skilled and confident in his ability or was completely inept and only thought he was good.

Either way Kalesskel preferred an even match over one with an advantage especially when sparring for fun so he put away one of his practice blades and twirled the other in one hand with practiced ease. "Blade vs blade just to be fair and if you're as skilled as I think you are, the difference in length our blades have won't make any difference." Kal never took his eyes off of Locke during the exchange, noting the way the man stood, the movements of his shoulders which would give a hint on where Locke's first strike may come from.

He was confident in his own ability even with just a single blade. Kalesskel trained just as hard fighting one handed as he did with both blades. One never knew when one may lose a weapon in a fight or not have time to grab both and it shouldn't be a handicap to fight one bladed when one was skilled in two blade style. Truth to be told Kal was just as good with one blade as he was with two and it didn't matter which hand he had a single blade in.

Rolling his shoulders slightly as he took a few steps in one direction, each foot fall silent and well balanced, Kal continued to assess his opponent. A few seconds later he stepped forward with a rapid strike towards one of Locke's shoulder only to drop the point of his blade and reversing direction for a strike towards the opposite thigh.

@Parker
Parker
Site Admin

Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:45 am

"Life would be boring if everything was the same and learning to adapt to a life in the dark is just another challenge to make life interesting."

"I can't say that I disagree with you there. A boring life isn't one worth living, in my opinion." Neither Locke, or his counterpart The Reaper, could say that they had lived boring lives or was currently living a boring one. In fact, his life now was more exciting than it ever had been. Perhaps it was an exhausting one and not exactly one to be proud of, but it sure as hell wasn't boring.

"This should be a good match then,"

"I will certainly try my best to make it a good match." Locke promised him with a crooked smile. He could place the man's accent as one coming from Walled. Him himself sported a very similar accent, though over the turns he'd learned to mask his to make it more difficult for people with a sharp ear to discern whether he'd come from the higher class society of Walled or from the lower class of the Bottoms. Deducing that this Kalesskel had a Walled accent of those of the upper class and the fact he was skilled enough with a sword to proclaim he'd go easy on him, Locke figured that this man was either originally of the Legion or a private guard. The thought of him being a Legionnaire did not settle with him, but since he wasn't a Justicar he'd let it slide.

"Blade vs blade just to be fair and if you're as skilled as I think you are, the difference in length our blades have won't make any difference."

He would have been amused to hear the other man's thoughts so on the mark about himself. However, as far as either of them knew for sure was that one had the skills of a rider and one the skills of a candidate. A little smirk curled his lips. This was going to be fun and perhaps the perfect end to what had turned out to be a rather fruitful evening. "You don't have to give up your other blade for my sake, but if you insist I shan't try and talk you out of it." Locke assured him as dark eyes watched the man that was now taking a few steps around him. His body stayed relaxed until the first strike was made. However, though it was directed at his shoulder, his blade immediately deflected the blade against its true target, his thigh.

Locke began to move to walk around his opponent as well. "You're pretty fast. Certainly faster than most candidates I've sparred...not that there's been all that many. Where did you train?" He asked curiously. Were this not just for practice and honing skills, he wouldn't have been talking. It was his turn to make a strike. With his blade being shorter, that meant he had to get in closer. Instead of just lunging a strike at him, Locke made a fast sweep out of his leg to try and take out Kal's.

LdyPayne

Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:32 pm

The more Locke talked the more Kalesskel was able to pick up traces of accent which reminded him of home. Given the length of time New Atricis had been settled in the South it didn't surprise Kal to run into a former Walled resident. They had exchanged Candidates in the past and many citizens moved to New Atricis over the many Turns since the Weyr was established here. Locke's accent wasn't easy to detect which had him thinking Locke may very well have been young when he left Walled, young enough to lose most of his accent. In the end it didn't matter to Kal that Locke was originally from Walled, in fact seeing the man was a rider and clearly accepted here had him feeling New Atricis was a good place to call home.

The fact Locke ignored his faint and blocked the real attack told Kalesskel the man was no novice to the blade. Excitement started to build within him at the prospect of a truly challenging duel but Kal held it in check. Now wasn't the time to get overly excited and better to redirect that energy in seeing when this man will strike while preparing his own attack.

Locke's attack didn't come as the expect quick lunge forward to bring Kal within reach of his dagger, instead the attack was a leg sweep. If Locke thought his different approach wasn't anticipated it would be disappointed. Kal had no trouble avoiding the leg sweep with a quick re positioning of his feet and spinning his body around to strike towards Lock's shoulder instead of the more likely target of the sweeping leg. Kalesskel's every movement was fluid and whether his sword struck home or was avoided, he would continue his motion to circle around Locke and make a second strike at his back. IF Locke was as quick on his own feet as Kal suspected he wouldn't have any trouble avoiding either strike but the cost would be not being in a position to make a retaliatory attack. Unless the man did something far more riskier, a possibility Kal was keeping in mind.

Kalesskel heard Locke's question and didn't let it distract him even as he made his own response. Normally he wasn't one to talk during a fight other than demand a suspect's surrender but this wasn't a life and death fight but a simple friendly sparring match. Besides his father trained him not to let anything distract him from the fight and dealing with taunts and conversation was just one of many such distractions he had to deal with in training. Locke's question was no taunt and innocent enough Kal felt no reason not to answer.

"My father trained me, he's the Weaponsmaster at Walled Hold and trust me he didn't let our shared blood affect how hard he drilled me." Kal responded with a laugh. "In fact he drilled me harder and I welcomed the challenge."

@Parker
Parker
Site Admin

Fri May 03, 2019 2:38 am

The way Kalesskel avoided his leg sweep made Locke a bit giddy. This man had not simply been boasting about his skills as a bladesmith. For as often as he fought, Locke had faced men of many different skill levels. While it was easier to take out someone of little skill it was more fun to face a worthy opponent. For as many Justicars as he'd faced and bested his own skills were growing considerably. That meant fights with normal people were not nearly as exciting. Granted, he had to tell his demons that this fight was merely for fun and no more blood would be spilled this night.

Locke managed to dodge aside of the strike towards his shoulder. From the corner of his eye, he could still see the man as he continued to circle around behind him. Out of instinct, Locke tucked and rolled forward to avoid the strike to his back, forgoing the chance of a retaliation strike. Once he was back on his feet he turned to face the man again. Instead of taking time to circle again, Locke immediately charged using all of his speed. When he got close he poised his dagger to make a strike at Kalesskel's shoulder, but at the last second, he tossed his dagger to his other hand and made a strike at the man's sword arm before quickly dodging aside.

"My father trained me, he's the Weaponsmaster at Walled Hold and trust me he didn't let our shared blood affect how hard he drilled me. In fact he drilled me harder and I welcomed the challenge."

A small snarl crossed his face at that information. This man was for all intents and purposes his enemy. "A Legion boy are you? That explains the skill with the blade." Locke couldn't help the slight tone of bitterness that laced his voice as he spoke the word 'Legion'.