Did We Just Become Best Friends? - [ tag ] Slasher / Mar'co

The main, central area of the Weyr, since it's no longer a "bowl" like before, people have taken to calling it the courtyard, or more often, the Weyr Yard. Dragons land and take off here while people walk from building to building going along their daily duties.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:25 am

While training was progressing, Cat was starting to notice something taking place. As much as he was enjoying spending time with his dragon, and it was also clear that he loved his free time with Niomi whenever he was able to find those precious spare moments, he was becoming a fan of taking to the training grounds whenever possible. Whether to spar with the dummies, spar with someone who was willing to take him on, or simply jog around the yard, it was an enjoyable thing for him, and one that often got rid of certain frustrations he couldn't take care of as a weyrling for one reason or another.

Today was a moment where he felt the need to spend some time there simply to sharpen some of the self-defense skills he'd been learning during lessons and while on his own. He'd been learning a few skills with some knives in his spare time as well, and thought it'd be a good time to practice while he was at it. Nako wanted to join him, and while he told the blue he certainly could, and he'd be happy for his time as an audience member, he was going to have to keep a bit of a distance simply so he wouldn't get in the way of the blades that were being used; the last time he was near, he was almost punched in the nose, and Cat simply couldn't have that happening again.

When he arrived, he saw to the blue's comfort, and noticed a bronze and a couple of other dragons perched nearby as well. The blue tried to decide where he was going to settle, and being a little restless, he took his sweet time deciding, until at last he made his way over to the bronze and settled in near him without a bit of fear or shame in his little form. We will share a spot, won't we, Roth? It was as much a question to the greater beast as it was a statement, and it was clear the little blue had no intention of moving anytime soon.

Cat watched him for a moment, certain his dragon was going to get punted out of the way at any moment, and when ti didn't happen, he prayed to Faranth it wouldn't and tried to look for the rider of the bronze. When he saw someone eyeing the scene as well - and figuring he'd take the chance - he approached the man and had an... eerie sensation as he approached. It raced up his spine and made him shiver, but once that left his body, things felt fine, and he chalked it up to nothing at all. Still, all that remained was a sense of knowing for some reason that he couldn't shake, and he hated it. "He's not bothering your boy, is he? I'm afraid he's uh... a little too brazen for those tiny britches of his."

Please visit the above link for a list of my current
characters, links to their profiles, to see what
they look like, and find other little facts about them!

[ Marks Tracker | Graphics Shop | NPC Archive ]

“You fail only if you stop writing.”
— Ray Bradbury —

The gorgeous avatar is by the talented Kaenith.
Slasher

Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:11 pm

For a Bronze, Roth was a bit more tolerant than most. Part of that could be because he had a good friendly relationship with Chinolth, but if he had been one of those haughty-type bronze's, he probably wouldn't have tolerated the blue weyrling boldly joining him. As it was, Roth shifted a bit, making room for the blue instead of shooing him out of his space. It didn't take too much adjustment, but in the end the boys still ended up touching the slightest bit. It was obvious that Roth didn't mind the blue's presence though, I do not mind at all. There is plenty of space here. Well met, Nakotomith.

For his part, Mar'co found the whole thing amusing, really. He had been at the training grounds himself, sparring off and on with other's, and doing his own bit of cardio and strength. He liked that the grounds at Atricis had stones embedded with various handholds, allowing people to work on sheer muscle vs other things. It was a habit that Marrow had gladly taken up, finding the activity enjoyable. Besides, it was obvious Na'vi didn't mind. The man couldn't help but grin at the thought of the woman, a grin that stayed on his face as the blue's rider approached.

When the man stopped before him though, Mar'co felt something. Familiarity? But he knew he'd never met the man. He must have just had one of those faces, he decided, as he just could not place him. ”Oh, no, it's alright. Roth likes other dragons, generally. I don't think I've seen you around here much before. I'm Mar'co, the beastie there is Roth. Most people call me Marrow though, so go ahead with that.” The man extended his hand with a jovial grin.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
~:Stories:~ ~:Monies:~ ~:Plotter:~
Ember

Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:26 am

Nakotomith wriggled until he was more comfortable, and once he was he sighed and curled up into a little dragon loaf. He looked up at the bronze and crooned. We are going to be friends, you and I. It was said in the most brazen of tones, just as brazen as his attitude had been when he'd approached the bronze in the first place.

Cat grinned and took the extended hand, finding he rather enjoyed the fact that the bronze would like the company of his young blue. "He's going to be fine with his presence, but is he going to be able to tolerate his attitude?" He laughed a little before turning to look at the training grounds. "I've been here for a while now, just... kept to myself mostly. Last few months I've been at Ivory Tower before coming back and Impressing from the stands."

He lifted his head back towards the pleased little blue. "How I live with him, I don't know." He rolled his eyes. "But I do love him. Really." He realized he'd forgotten his name and rubbed the back of his name, laughing to himself. So engrossed had he been in his dragon, he'd forgotten his own name. "C'taren, well met Marrow. I go by Cat mostly though. The blue boy is Nakotomith, but he likes the sound of Nako."

— Ray Bradbury —

Slasher

Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:09 pm

Roth apparently had a penchant for attracting blue dragons to himself. Between Na'vi's Chinolth, and now this weyrling...Mar'co couldn't help but feel amused at the fact that his big bronze was making friends with a bunch of blues(sort of). Not that it bothered the man(and obviously not the dragon either), but it was still a noteworthy coincidence. As Nakotomith curled up against the bronze's hide, the older dragon shifted and let the loaf of a blue fit into the space, pressing his wings out of the way. And so we are. The bronze's tone was one of amusement, but affectionately so.

Marrow just shook his head right along with C'taren, and shrugged a bit at the weyrling, ”Well, congratulations on your Impression, as surprising as it might have been. They never choose wrong.” The big man winked. ”And it's a pleasure to meet you both, Cat, and Nako.” He bowed a bit to both. As the dragons settled in though, Marrow grinned, ”So, what's your weapon of choice, Cat? Maybe we can train together.”
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Ember

Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:16 am

He watched his dragon with a shake of his head as well, finding it amusing that he was being such a loaf at the moment. But a cute loaf, Nako pointed out, something that Cat would never deny him. He was grinning as he turned to Marrow in time for his question and tilted his head, answering the question rather quickly. "Truth be told, I've always had a penchant for the sword. I have this old one that belonged to my grandfather but I rarely get to use it. My..." What did he call Niomi? His girl, his lady, his woman? "My girlfriend," Yes, that felt right. "Is holding onto it for me while I'm in training."

He moved forward, carefully around Marrow though not impolitely so, and picked up one of the dull blades on hand for play-combat. He weighed it in his hand, twisted it, turned it, and frowned. "I never liked using these things, the ones on the training grounds. They're so dull and out of shape. Poor things should be treated better than this." Logically he knew he shouldn't be speaking of inanimate objects in such a manner, and he more or less said as much in his next breath. "It comes with being a Smithcrafter. You gain an affinity for things made of metal when you come across them."

He lifted his chin after setting the blade down to pick up another, wanting to find something that might suit him a little more. He wasn't going to run with them all to the nearest sharpening stone or smithy to fix them all up, he wasn't going to.... "What of you, Marrow? What's your preference?"

— Ray Bradbury —

Slasher

Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:46 pm

His girlfriend? Marrow smirked a bit, considering offering a gentle jibe about his woman holding the sword for him, but then it occurred that she was holding onto it because the man was a Weyrling, and they weren't allowed to have weapons anyways. But also, the man had a lover? Wasn't that against the rules? On the other hand, considering the size of Nakotomith, they were about to the age where dragonets didn't get as possessive of their riders anymore. ”Oh-ho, a girlfriend, eh? Aren't weyrling's supposed to be celibate?" His tone was obviously teasing as he approached the weapons rack, lifting a sword as well and hefting it around a bit.

”All joking aside, I didn't grow up with a weapon in my hand, I grew more with a shovel and a pitchfork.” He set the sword down, and lifted another, extending it and eyeing the length of it, checking the straightness of it. ”I'm not sure if I have a preference yet...You probably know more about swordplay and weaponry than I do.” He chuckled as he swung the weapon, ”And I agree, it's shameful how some of the tools and weapons are treated around here. But they are training things, designed to be beat up by novices...We just do our best to take care of the ones we use, eh?” He set the sword down again, and lifted a spear, hefting it a bit. It reminded him of when he was traveling to Atricis still, and had to grin, ”You ever go spear fishing, Cat?” His voice was musing, a bit thoughtful.
Last edited by Slasher on Sat May 11, 2019 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Ember

Wed May 01, 2019 4:17 pm

Cat would have tossed something at the bronzerider had he the chance, but instead he just threw a narrow look before laughing. "She became my girl a bit before Impression. Nako found me in the stands, kind of cock blocked things for a while longer. I don't hold it against him though. The dragons want what they want." He shook his head at that and smiled fondly as he glanced in his dozing blue's direction. "Seems as though he's made friend's with your boy easily enough. Please send him my thanks for entertaining him. He seems to enjoy making friends with the older dragons."

He listened and nodded, pleased that Marrow seemed to be of a similar mind as to the nature of weapons, even if he wasn't quite a master at arms with any. "Spear fishing? Can't say I ever have, though I wouldn't be against learning. I know eventually Nako will be able to hunt, and in all honesty, spear fishing sounds like it would be fun to learn. I take it you partake?"

— Ray Bradbury —

Slasher

Mon May 13, 2019 3:31 pm

Marrow couldn't help but grin a bit as Cat responded to his light barb about his girl. And a stands Impression? To be fair, that seemed to happen oddly often around Atricis. Not Marrow, but it might have come close if he hadn't signed on as a Candidate when the opportunity had arisen. Who knows if Roth would have chosen him then. And at least the farmer didn't have a girl before hand that his bronze could have delayed, ”Hopefully she waits for you then, ya? I've seen relationships fail after Impression, the other half not understanding the bond between man and dragon...”

A glance was spared for the bronze with the blue snugged up against him, and he grinned, ”Oh, Roth doesn't mind. This isn't his first young blue friend.” As he hefted the spear in his hands again, he eyed it thoughtfully and nodded, ”But yes, I've done it. It isn't easy, but can be quite fulfilling. We'll have to go sometimes.” He grinned and eyed the man before setting the pole down, and hefting a stunted club instead, swinging it a bit to test its balance.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Ember

Thu May 16, 2019 8:08 am

He eyed the familiar stranger for a moment before lifting a shoulder. "That might be the case for some people, but that won't be an issue for me and mine." He thought back to all they'd waited for, himself and Niomi, and he knew they wouldn't have an issue waiting for one another a thousand times over. "We've been through a lot together, waiting for years for each other, waded through thick and thin just to find one another, then found each other Impressed back to back. I'm sure I have nothing to worry about just like she had nothing to worry about, and we hadn't even had the chance to admit our affections for one another when she'd been found by her Haddy."

He glanced at where his blue was sleeping, content and snug as a bug, and shook his head. "He can be pushy. He's like that with my girl's green. Calls her his "lady". I'm sure he will as well when she rises one day. Faranth forbid the snit he gets into if he doesn't manage to gain her favor then." He clicked his tongue and chuckled when the blue's tail twitched - hopefully a reflex in his sleep. He tested a spear of his own and thought about the possibilities of fishing with one and nodded in agreement. "I'd like to try fishing with you sometime as well, though it'll be a while since I just Impressed not long ago. You willing to wait?" He teased and stuck out his tongue from the corner of his mouth before picking another weapon to check out.

The last time he'd gone fishing, truly gone fishing, had been in the North with one of his brothers. It had been a terrible affair with the younger sibling being a little prick about it the entire time. It had been awful - he'd wanted the bigger fish so anytime Cat had caught anything bigger than him, he'd had to throw them back or risk listening to him whine about how horrible he was at the sport. He'd never gone fishing again after that, but Marrow made it sound fun to him. He actually smiled. "Haven't wanted to for a while by the way... thanks for making it seem exciting again."

— Ray Bradbury —

Slasher

Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:16 pm

”Oh, she's a rider too. That's just all to the benefit then, she'll understand. Good for the pair of you!” Marrow had his own dragon lady to consider, though he didn't have the dilemma of Na'vi's dragon not choosing Roth in a Flight...Chinolth was male, after all. But he could see the amusement in a pair of lovers Impressing one after the other, and the fact that there would be plenty of waiting on both sides.

”You willing to wait?"”

Marrow grinned and set the club down, eyeing C'taren thoughtfully. It had been a long time since the Bronzeirder had gone fishing, let alone spear fishing. He would have to do a little recon, but that bought time, ”Hows this. We'll go spearfishing after you graduate. We'll have our ladies tag along as well. I know mine would probably enjoy it. And there'll be plenty of water for the dragons to play.” He glanced towards the bronze, and had to chuckle at the idea of the large beast thronged by two blues, and whatever color(he assumed smaller) that C'taren's lady had. The bronze would be so...tolerant.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage