Getting Along With The Night - [ tag ] LdyPayne/Kalesskel

The main, central area of the Weyr, since it's no longer a "bowl" like before, people have taken to calling it the courtyard, or more often, the Weyr Yard. Dragons land and take off here while people walk from building to building going along their daily duties.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:42 pm

It was a cool, crisp night, one that made Yara wan't to sink into the evening and lie back to look at the stars. But there was no chance to do so, not anymore. The pull in her mind was the constant reminder that life would never be as simple as going to the kitchens to work and having time off to do as she pleased. Things were different now, and always would be. She had a wher at her side, a baby that was growing, and would be for another few months, and Faranth she still wasn't used to it. She didn't know when she would be, or how she might become more familiar to the idea of it all.

Am sorry. But you only one. The crystalline wher insisted, rubbing against her as she often did as a sign of affection.

She was right though, no matter how heavy things seemed to get, Yara would never doubt that she was the only one that had somehow been meant for this very special wher. Perhaps her feelings were something to speak to the Wherlingmaster Vithire about during their next lesson. She was starting to loosen up a bit around her, though not by much. Even so, it made sense to try and talk to her about these matters, if to no one else since there was only one other handler she was familiar with and there was no fucking way Yara was going to go to that prick for answers.

She watched the night sky from a shadowy little alcove in the Weyr Yard, one that she and the wher often went to at night to practice their trust sight together. It was strange, but she was growing more familiar seeing through Yarask's vision than she was her own at times. It was still not easy by any means, and more often than not frustrated her to the point of saying those words that Yarask seemed to despise so much, but she was getting the hang of it somehow.

Someone come. I tell. You hear?

She froze, and listened carefully, and there it was, the soft - how fucking soft could someone walk? She hadn't known until recently - sound of footsteps on a nearby path, one that she knew was littered with stones and shaded spots. They wouldn't be seen from where they were, so she didn't mind observing whoever it was from where she was, but if they tripped on the stones and hurt themselves... Yarask would feel obligated to help them.

As they grew closer, Yara sighed. *Do I have to?*

Think you know.

She had to snort at that, and maybe grin a little, before she gripped her knees harder to keep any disdain from her voice. Sure she was getting better about swearing and calling people names because of the crystalline next to her, but that didn't mean she was better about her attitude in general. "Hey, you better watch where you're going or you're going to break you neck!"

@LdyPayne
Dragonriders
Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Wherhandlers, Dayhandlers, & Pearlriders

Image Image

Candidates, Crafters, & Non-Riders
Image Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

[ Character Tracker ]
[ NPC Archive ]

[ Plot Requests | Marks Tracker | Graphics Shop ]

“You fail only if you stop writing.”
— Ray Bradbury —
LdyPayne

Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:04 pm

Getting used to moving about a night had been something Kalesskel wasn't a total stranger to but this was a completely different environment than he was used to. He had walked the dimly lit streets of The Bottoms back at Walled Hold when assigned the shit patrols by his superiors often enough he was used to moving quietly on uneven surfaces. The Weyryard of New Atricis was very different, changing from smooth well trod paths to uneven patches of stones and gravel. He was on one of the former, focusing on maintaining his balance and not making a whole lot of noise.

His training in swordsmanship and overall agility made the task relatively easy, so naturally aware of his own body he felt shifted his weight from one foot to another before the rocks could even begin to shift. Keeping to a slow pace because he was unfamiliar with the ground made it easier than if he tried to walk at his normal pace. Speed will come with time and practice and tonight was strictly for practice.

With his focus on not stumbling in the dark was probably why he didn't notice he was close to somebody or their Wher till the woman spoke up. Kalesskel looked towards the sound, hand dropping to where his blades were normally strapped only to rest on a standard belt knife. When he saw it was a Wherhandler he let his hand relax back at his side as he carefully came to a stop.

"Thank you for your concern," he responded. "I'm intentionally walking this way however to improve my sense of balance and get to know the Weyryard at night."

@Ember
ooc: So sorry for the late response...I lost this thread somehow. Fortunately I found it while looking for eggs :)
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:26 am

So, he was a candidate it would seem. She tilted her head to the side and squinted in the dark, trying to see him with her own eyes. Eventually a figure cleared through and she thought she could see him well enough. Strong, dark hair given the way she could barely see the coloration, very little else she could see of him even through the blur that was her wher's eyes. She glanced down at the young wher and gave her a scratch. I was nice. Do I need to be nice still?

Yarask crooned and nudged against her and she knew her answer in that moment. Sighing, she stood on her feet, the crystalline remaining where she was, a brighter beacon in the darkness of the night, and slowly made her way forward. She was still becoming familiar with walking around herself though she was slightly better at it then he was perhaps, and when she reached him, she bent down to brush the stone back in place, making sure it remained in the pathway by stomping on it with her foot.

"You may not have seen that. You could have hurt yourself." She held up a hand before anything could be said. "If you feel the need to say thank you, just direct it at Yarask. She's the one who happened to notice it." Perhaps it wasn't a big deal to him - it certainly hadn't been to her and really, she couldn't give a shit. But Yarask... was digging at her thoughts right now and making her apologize to him mentally for thinking that way and she sighed. "Yaranavexa, by the way, but she calls me Yarana."

@LdyPayne

[ ooc: No worries! I'm just happy you were able to get to it; that's all that matters. :) ]
Dragonriders
Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Wherhandlers, Dayhandlers, & Pearlriders

Image Image

Candidates, Crafters, & Non-Riders
Image Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

[ Character Tracker ]
[ NPC Archive ]

[ Plot Requests | Marks Tracker | Graphics Shop ]

“You fail only if you stop writing.”
— Ray Bradbury —
LdyPayne

Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:25 pm

He watched as the woman put a loose stone back into place along the trail. He hadn't noticed it exactly as his vision hadn't adjusted to the darkness that well but Kal was confident he wouldn't have stumbled over the rock. The way he was moving his feet would have bumped the stone before putting any weight on it and his own sense of balance would have done the rest. Thinking now it wouldn't have posed a danger didn't mean he couldn't have still tripped over the stone if not warned about it. He had a great sense of balance and light on his feet when it came to swordsmanship but anybody could trip in the night.

Being told he was better off thanking a small pale coloured Wher instead of the Wherhandler did take him by surprise. Glancing at Yarask Kalesskel thought she looked rather pale but couldn't tell what type of Wher she was, at least colour wise. Pale definitely and too small to be an adult by any means. Kalesskel hadn't seen any other young Whers about the Weyr so didn't know if this was a wild Wher bonding or maybe there had been a very small Wher clutch prior to his arrival. Even young however, if the Wher was responsible for making sure he had been warned about a hazard along his path which he could have injured himself over, she did deserve his thanks.

"Thank you for your warning, young Yarask," Kal responded, inclining his head towards the Wher. "It was appreciated."

"I'm Kalesskel, a Wher Candidate recently arrived at the Weyr," he introduced himself, including Yarask and her rider in the introduction. "Pleased to meet both of your acquaintances. I'm far from an expert on Whers of yet but Yarask looks very young, you two must have bonded recently and if you have time and don't mind indulging my curiosity, could you tell me about the experience?"

@Ember