Oye! Hey There, Lassie! - Ember | Ash'wyn

Despite being new, this dining hall is very similar to the one back at old Atricis, giving a familiarity to the new Weyr. It is one large, central cavern carved out from the side of the cliff with many tables of varying sizes and seat numbers. The kitchens are attached, and there is a set of stairs leading down into the lower caverns.
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:23 am

Season: Late Summer
Time: Dinner o'clock

@Ember | Ash'wyn

Faranth damnit, Kalumith could by a right pain in the arse sometimes, yet Sig'ryn loved every moment of it. Every day, the dragon made his demands clear, whether it was to be fed, or to be oiled, to enjoy a good scratch at the end of the day. When they finished his final feed of the day, Kalumith refused to let Sig'ryn go, thus forcing her to sit at his side as he slowly nodded off to sleep. Honestly, Sig'ryn could not say she entirely minded. She actually found it endearing the way he nuzzled his head against her thigh as she stroked his brow and drew on his eye ridge. Pet by pet, his lids closed one by one, until he finally settled deep into repose. Once Sig'ryn caught the rumble of a snore, she knew beyond a doubt he had fallen asleep, which meant she could finally go to the toilet to relieve herself, and then head to the dining hall to fill that hole in her stomach.

But the young pewterrider did not leave immediately. It felt as though the merest presence of his young and dormant dragon tied her down to the spot beside him. Where the runner to shift, she would lose the warmth of his head nestled against her thigh. However, she could only tie herself to Kalumith for so long before her bladder begged for relief and her belly growled from the neglect.

The pinch down below, such a telling sign she needed to go take a wee, drove the weyrling to finally stand to her feet. Kalumith did not even rouse from the shift that took Sig'ryn from him.

"You okay, Sigi?" one of the weyrlings asked as she limped her way to the toilet.

"Aye, just need tae go take a piss."

Once she emptied the content of her bladder, Sig'ryn cleaned up and headed off fill the void in her stomach. It felt as empty as between by the time she reached the buffet table. Her eyes fuelled by the hunger of her stomach, Sig'ryn did not hesitate to fill her plate generously. Scoop after scoop, covered the platter, until only the rim of white porcelain showed. Her cutlery collected, she stepped off in search of the nearest empty seat. it did not take her long to find a chair, and could not help but smile devilishly at the lovely company she would find with it.

"Oye, lassie," she called to the young woman. Upon closer inspection, Sig'ryn realised she knew the girl, or at the very least was somewhat acquainted by her presence. She was a weyrling, much like herself, though her dragon far older than little Kalumith. The pewterrider motioned to the seat across from the bonnie lass. "Mind if A join ye?" Though eager for a seat so she could rudely stuff the hole in her face, she still had enough manners not to impose herself on her peer if her company simply was not wanted.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:16 pm

Oh, that was the last time Ash'wyn let Wrynne keep her up late, even if the evening had been an enjoyable one filled with trader games. She had taught her friend a few of the ones that she'd known since she was a little thing, and while it had been fun, she'd been awake long past "lights out" which meant getting very little sleep, which meant dragging through training. She'd been reprimanded for it, which there was nothing that could be done as a result except to promise the trainer it wouldn't happen again, which Ash'wyn knew there was a small percentage of a chance it would knowing her friend. But Vojo said he was going to put his foot down on the matter, and that had made her want to giggle, which thankfully she didn't do in front of the woman.

She was doing it now as she tried not to spit klah in the face of the fellow weyrling asking to have a seat with her. She put a hand over her mouth and held up a finger, trying to remain as polite as possible while she struggle to swallow down the mixture in her mouth while containing the humor that only wanted to bubble up further the more she held it back. Finally, after turning away, hand still held up in the way that asked for forgiveness as well as a moment, she managed to get everything swallowed and then she coughed and wiped her mouth before turning back to Sig'wyn, her face flamed up with a flush. "I'm very sorry about that. Terrible of me, and I didn't mean to be so rude. Something my dragon said earlier."

She indicated the seat in question and nodded towards it, hoping she hadn't put off the pewterrider any. "I wouldn't mind the company at all if you'd still like to join me. That would be very nice, actually."

Please visit the above link for a list of my current
characters, links to their profiles, to see what
they look like, and find other little facts about them!

[ Marks Tracker | Graphics Shop | NPC Archive ]

“You fail only if you stop writing.”
— Ray Bradbury —
Shaihulud

Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:16 am

Though Sig'ryn could have a rather boisterous personality, she did not think she had said or done anything to tempt that sort of response. It seemed a pocket of laughter had swelled within her fellow weyrling, causing the drink in her mouth to nearly burst out... or dribble at the very least. To others, the sight could only be described as unsightly, though Sig'ryn was actually very amused by it.

What had gotten her going like that? the pewterweyrling wondered.

"I'm very sorry about that. Terrible of me, and I didn't mean to be so rude. Something my dragon said earlier."

Sig'ryn answered with a chuckle and black eyes full of mirth. "Aye, they do that sort o' thin' lots. A get ye." How many times had Kalumith already slipped into her thoughts to mutter something outrageous? Once, his remark was so ridiculous, Sig'ryn could not help but burst out in the middle of one of their instructions. The Weyrlingmaster had not been entirely pleased with her at the time, but who could blame a weyrling for laughing with their lifemate?

"I wouldn't mind the company at all if you'd still like to join me. That would be very nice, actually."

Pleased by the offer, Sig'ryn settled into the spot across from the woman with the brown weyrling knots. In turn, Sig'ryn offered the girl a bright white grin. "Thanks." It felt nice to be seated, ready to stuff herself. There was no thought when grabbed a sausage with her fingers and bit half of it away. Savoury and sweet all mixed into one. It nearly tasted like home. "So wat's ye name, again?" she said when her mouth was mostly cleared of food, "Ah'm Sig'ryn, an' me pewter is Kalumith. Ye from the weyr?"

Perhaps it was a bombardment of questions, but to Sig'ryn, they were all sort of standard when meeting someone new.
Ember

Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:24 am

"So wat's ye name, again?" ... "Ah'm Sig'ryn, an' me pewter is Kalumith. Ye from the weyr?"

She smiled as the older woman - though if Ash'wyn had to guess, she wasn't that much older really - joined her and offered a name. "Ash'wyn of brown Vojorokoth. He sends his greetings." That made the brown rumble from where he was outside and the expression on her face grew just a pinch more. He was pleased to have had his greetings passed along, and it contented him enough that he settled down and decided to see how his favorite lady blue was while he waited to be rejoined by his rider.

"Actually, not Weyrborn." She tucked into her food for a moment, letting a bit of silence exist between them while she chewed. After washing it away with klah, she continued. "I was born in the North, to a large caravan family." Things had been easier since they'd abandoned her, and she found herself itching more and more as of late to go out hunting with her bow and arrow, things she no longer had, things she yearned to own again. "I miss that life sometimes, but now I have Vojo, and he's enough of a life for me, I think." She lifted her chin towards Sig'ryn. "What of you? Where do you hail from?"

— Ray Bradbury —
Shaihulud

Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:27 pm

Ash'wyn did not seem like such a bad lass. In fact, she seemed quite the opposite to the gregarious pewterrider. Always up for good company, Sig'ryn sought the best in people, and was not about to do the opposite with a fellow weyrlings. Besides, the lass could not be so bad if she managed to Impress to a brown. Right, Kal?

He's a good dragon. Never done or said anything with a sting in it, not that I've seen. I don't see why his lifemate would be any different than him.

Sig'ryn smirked at her dragon's conclusion.

"Actually, not Weyrborn. I was born in the North, to a large caravan family."

"Huh..." Sig'ryn wondered whereabouts, curious as to where her caravan wandered. Was it possible she had been to Ruatha? Maybe they had crossed paths in their former lives up in the north. And what on Pern was a northerling like her doing in Atricis? Sig'ryn knew she had her own reasons, but could not help what Ash'wyn's own circumstances could be.

"I miss that life sometimes, but now I have Vojo, and he's enough of a life for me, I think."

After all this time without her family, Sig'ryn understood Ash'wyn's sentiments all to well. Not only did Sig'ryn miss the north, but she missed the people she called family. There was a crime found in the fact she had taken them for granted, a crime she only became aware of when she lost them.

"What of you? Where do you hail from?"

But there was a time and a place for mourning. Right now, with good company, was not that time. "Western Ruatha. Yet been at all durin' ye travels? What part o' the north ye wander aboot?"
Ember

Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:59 pm

"Western Ruatha. Yet been at all durin' ye travels? What part o' the north ye wander aboot?"

She smiled at that. "Ruatha is rather pretty during the Spring season, when everything is blooming again. Though I have to say I'm rather bias about Telgar. Good hunting grounds if you know where to look. My least favorites were Benden and High Reaches - the former due to how rocky and unstable the terrain always seemed ot be, the former due to the obvious cold."

She chuckled and shook her head, rubbing the back of her neck as she did. "I kind of didn't answer your question with that one though, so I apologize. Though I suppose I did in a way. We traveled all about, if what I said wasn't any indication. Basically where the goods were, and where my parents could build contracts, we would travel. The caravan has been in the family for ages, so there are many routes to follow. We..."

She found herself saying "we", yet again, and stopped herself short from saying it again, quickly, and without losing her smile, she continued, but not without correcting herself. "The caravan isn't the largest there is, but it and its people are proud of their status and well being." And traditional, and stubborn, among other things but she kept all of that to herself.

— Ray Bradbury —
Shaihulud

Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:23 pm

"Ruatha is rather pretty during the Spring season, when everything is blooming again."

"Aye, it is!" Sig'ryn grinned back. Where the pewterrider to have a proper dram, she would have made a toast to the home she missed so much. She would always be a patriot at heart, with only enough room for Ruatha. Atricis was nice and all, that she could not deny, but given a choice, she would have returned to the north were she was from.

Of course, the girl had to continue on about other places she loved most. "Though I have to say I'm rather bias about Telgar. Good hunting grounds if you know where to look."

Well that was a bunch of bollocks. Sig'ryn would have said as much, for the former runner was not the sort to hold back. Before she could say anything, however, the girl listed places she was not as pleased about.

"My least favorites were Benden and High Reaches - the former due to how rocky and unstable the terrain always seemed ot be, the former due to the obvious cold."

"Benden," the runner scoffed. "Full o' a bunch o' toffs, they are. Ne'er cared much fur them." As for High Reaches, while Sig'ryn had made it as far as the borders of Tillek, she had never tasted High Reaches. Nabol was not so bad though, though it was also no Ruatha.

But Ash'wyn was well travelled it seemed, which was to be expected of a trader such as herself. Some caravans stuck to certain parts, frequenting several holds during the turn, but not her caravan. Instead, Ash'wyn's caravan dared to wander the face of the north, regardless of the dangers it posed to them.

"The caravan isn't the largest there is, but it and its people are proud of their status and well being."

"Well o' course they are. Not many people can say they've seen as much as ye. If A was ye, Ah'd be prood as well." The pewterrider filled her cutlery with another succulent mouthful. She was quick to consume it before she continued. "Though A still say Ruatha's the best. Best whisky, best mutton, best sausage, best bacon, an' nothin' beats a good cranachan after eatin' a warm bowl o' haggis, neeps an' tatties, all while listenin' tae the mountains say goodbye tae the sun with a set o' bagpipes. There's not a thin' like Ruatha."
Ember

Sun May 12, 2019 9:53 am

"Though A still say Ruatha's the best. Best whisky, best mutton, best sausage, best bacon, an' nothin' beats a good cranachan after eatin' a warm bowl o' haggis, neeps an' tatties, all while listenin' tae the mountains say goodbye tae the sun with a set o' bagpipes. There's not a thin' like Ruatha."

Ash'wyn wrinkled her nose at the thought of haggis, but only for one very specific reason. She held up a finger in apology, and took a drink of her water before continuing. "I had haggis once, when we were in Ruatha. I found it to be delicious, quite the treat in fact. It was something my mother tried to recreate on her own on the road one time." He face turned stony sour and she gave an over all shiver as she thought about how much of a failure that experiment had turned out. It was one of the only fond memories she could tolerate thinking about of her family anymore.

"Luckily, she wasn't upset when no one would eat it, not even the beasts. It was that horrid. We ended up having to burn it in the fires to keep it from rotting in some pit." But that was how her mother normally was - the sort to be so unemotional that it hadn't really surprised her in the slightest at the time that she hadn't responded. "Needless to say, if I ever get back to Ruatha, I intend to have some haggis again. It'd be nice to have a warm memory of my family again." If she was a bit sarcastic about it, she didn't make it anymore obvious than it already was.

— Ray Bradbury —
Shaihulud

Sat May 18, 2019 12:52 am

"I had haggis once, when we were in Ruatha. I found it to be delicious, quite the treat in fact. It was something my mother tried to recreate on her own on the road one time."

"Ha!" Sig'ryn replied with a pound of her hand on the table. Since her arrival to Atricis, everyone always frowned at Haggis, but they did not know what they were missing. Finally, someone who knew better! Of course, the fact they liked it so much that they tried to recreated also amused the pewterrider, for she suspected they had failed in the endeavour. Only a true Ruathan could pull off a dish like haggis. Like a good dram of scotch, it required a bit of magic that was lacking in every other part of the world.

Ash'wyn confirmed Sig'ryn's suspicions.

"Needless to say, if I ever get back to Ruatha, I intend to have some haggis again. It'd be nice to have a warm memory of my family again."

"Well, if ye'd like, Ah'm goin' tae make me way back up north fur a visit, an' A ken all the best places fur good haggis an' scotch. When A go, ye more than welcome tae join me. It's the sort o' thin' ye enjoy more when ye have more people with ya." It was kind of like drinking. It was fun to do alone, but better to do with company.