Welcome Home ~ Tag: Elikos/Loyalty

Not the large stone caverns that Weyr people are used to, these are buildings built on the top of the cliff, sometimes referred to as the Weyr Cliff. These buildings are all the same size, with multiple apartments for dragonriders to live in in each building. Because of space constraints, dragons sleep in large pavilions built around the dragonrider apartments.
Parker
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him

Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:40 am

@Loyalty
Takes place immediately after "Sneaky Cats"

No, no fucking way. I am not taking him. Wraith stated firmly as he recoiled at the smell of the young boy with his rider.

Locke was slightly out of breath and rolled his eyes in agitation. "Goddess dammit, Wraith! We gotta go. There were people after us." He stated with agitation. It did not surprise him that his dragon was choosing now to be difficult. Though, to be fair, the kid did smell pretty bad.

No, no fucking way. I am not taking him. Wraith stated sardonically.

"If I die, you die, dumbass. Goddess, you can be such a fucking whiny ass baby. Fine, here." He climbed up and reached into the bag he kept on Wraith's straps. He pulled out a blanket and jumped back down. He through the blanket around the kid. "There? Better? Now can we please go?"

Alright, fine. Wraith said with a huff.

Locke turned back to Elikos. He was sure he'd lost whoever had been yelling, but he was too cautious to stick around for long. "Alright Elikos, I know you've never been dragonback. We're going to go between. You won't feel, see, or hear anything, but I promise we'll still be there and it will only take a few seconds. Now, up you go." He said as he helped Elikos mount up on his Wraith and then took a seat behind him. Honestly, he'd never say it to the kid because he understood, but he was also a bit glad for the blanket that at least kept the filth off him even if the smell was still there. "Alright Wraith, take us out of here." The chimera took to the skies. It didn't take long before he slipped between. As Locke had promised, it was only a few seconds. They came out into the skies above Atricis. "Well, welcome to your new home for a while."
ImageImageImageImage
Zaynallen | C'sian | Sid'nis | Locke
ImageImageImageImage
Najden | Kisle'vis | Corbin | Calivander |

.::..::..::..::..::..
Loyalty
Pronouns: She/Her

Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:41 pm

Elikos' heart seemed to beat faster than the race for escape dictated. His eyes were widened and looking in every direction he could without stumbling in his flight from The Bottoms. There had been no time to grab the food. There had been no time to take a drink of the water. The yell they'd all heard suggested flight was a good idea for their lives. And so he'd run. But not alone. He ran with the man called Locke. He'd not put his trust in this stranger he knew to be The Reaper. But he'd trusted the truth of the words he had heard. There was no doubt. If he stayed, he was done.

Coming out of the darkness into the night was a shock. Despite the fact that it was not the daytime, seeing the entirety of the sky when glancing up, put him into a duck. It was too open. Too exposed. Too, big. How did there exist a world without a sky of stone? He knew it existed, he'd peered out on the rare occasions that he'd been up near the ramp. But that was only a partial picture that had caused him dizziness and a searing of his eyes. It had been too bright. He wasn't prone to search out another look.

Not only was he running for his life and dealing with the giant world without a stone sky, he also came to face a swearing, grouchy, stubborn dragon. Elikos had no desire to be near any dragons, least of all this foul-tempered one that seemed to despise him. But he was already this far. He couldn't return now. So he stood, hand holding his bruised arm again and shifting his bare feet with nervous anxiety, constantly glancing around him in all directions.

The blanket was a surprise. He jerked horribly when it was suddenly wrapped around him, causing him to almost bolt. His feet remained firmly set as logic returned and he grasped the blanket's edges to keep it from falling with one hand. Then with the other he, with Locke's help, mounted the strangely colored dragon. He was not too optimistic about this entire thing, including the dragon, but what other choice did he have?

Between was explained. He'd never heard of it before. Wasn't 'between' something that was not there or here but in the middle of something? It was such a strange word to describe something he was about to experience. He wouldn't feel, see or hear anything? Elikos stiffened, not liking this idea at all. Was he going to be shoved into a sack and tossed into a water barrel or something? But surely he'd still hear then. Hear himself drowning....

And then he knew. With the jerk of departure from the ground, the great wings gathering the air and shoving the ground down below them, or so he thought, there was a time of nothing. A few seconds. That's all it took, just as Locke had warned. But even in the few seconds, his lungs had quickened, his heart trying to escape his chest. His body stiffening to run but with no where to go. Blind! Full blindness in that place called between. He never wanted to experience that again. Full blindness had been his greatest fear. Having just experienced it left him gasping and near-panicked.

"Don't do that again." He demanded quietly and then realized he'd pressed his blanketed back up against Locke during the trip. He shifted away from the man quickly and watched as the dragon brought the land back closer to land upon. This place that he could see below them was so foreign, he'd never have been able to imagine it in his wildest dreams. The Bottoms had been his entire world. Until now.

Wondering if his 'command' would be taken as an insult, and knowing he owed much to Locke, but not having any lessons in showing any sort of good manners, he did his best to patch things over. "It weren't so bad though." He lied.

[..::|x| Toross ..::|x|::.. Elikos ..::|x|::.. Vikandra |x|::..]

Loot ..::|x|::.. Lists
Parker

Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:36 pm

"Don't do that again."

Locke, even after his bad mood from having those dumb assholes actually try and take him on, had to give a short bark of laughter. "Don't worry. We're here now. We don't have have to do that again. Unless you want to go back." He explained, the short bit of cheerfulness with the laugh gone again. He was sore, he was bleeding, and he could probably use a bath himself.

"It weren't so bad though."

A shrug of his shoulders was given, though the kid likely didn't see or feel it. "You get used to it after awhile. A little bit of nothing is worth it to be able to go where you want in a few seconds."

Wraith didn't take long to spiral down to the cliffs of the apartments. He landed with skill. Alright. Both of you. Off of me. Now. I'm going to go jump in the lake. The chimera demanded of them, still with disgust in his voice. Locke dismounted first and then helped the kid to dismount as well.

"C'mon. Follow me. We'll get you a bath, a proper one, and I'll get you some of Finch's clothes. They should fit you. No, Xacke's might fit you better." Locke explained as he led the kid to his apartment. It used to be his and Kent's. Finch was one of his other children. One of the ones they had saved that fretful mission. None of the other children were there though. Not yet. They would be later. Inside was a cozy looking house. A living area with a couch and a comfortable chair. That had been Kent's chair...as far as Locke was concerned it still was. He still had conversations with him sometimes there. A table took up most of the kitchen space. They had to get a larger table after adopting so many children.

"I'll get your bath started. Please, don't sit down anywhere yet, but I'll get you some food and water to enjoy while the water is heating up." Locke led him to the kitchen area. He got a glass of water for him and sat it on the table. Then he moved to their food pantry and got out some more jerky and cheese and put those on the table. "There you go. If you want more-" He gestured to the pantry. "Simply help yourself. I'll be back."

Locke moved to his bathing chamber and began getting things ready. He made sure to set out plenty of soapsand and a few scrub brushes. Then, he moved to the boys' bedroom. All three of them slept in here when they stayed the night and the twins had their own room. Locke grabbed an outfit out of the closet and moved it into the bathing chamber. When he was done he went back to the table.

"Alright, there is a clean set of clothes in there for you. Just throw those away in the trash can. There's a bag on the edge of the tub. That's soap, use as much as you need to. Oh, and a couple different scrub brushes. I'm sure you're really hungry, so I'll start on dinner while you bathe. The others should be coming home before too long." Locke explained to the young man.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Loyalty

Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:43 pm

"Don't worry. We're here now. We don't have have to do that again. Unless you want to go back."

Did he want to go back? Not yet. Maybe if this place turned out worse he would. Imagining worse than he had it there, was something not too hard for his imagination to do. Life could always get worse. He'd learned that first hand. First at the orphanage, then on the streets after he maybe killed somebody there. Some part of him hoped he had. Some part of him was scared of what they'd do to him if they found him again, if he had. It was an old fear though that had faded over time into nothing but a dull burden of unanswered questions.

"You get used to it after awhile. A little bit of nothing is worth it to be able to go where you want in a few seconds."

Elikos was easily distracted from skimming the surface of these old thoughts when Locke spoke of how the Nothing was worth it for going anywhere in seconds. That was a strange thought that raised more questions. They could go anywhere in a few seconds? How? Where exactly were they? How far away were they from The Bottoms?

And then the dragon landed and promptly ordered him off.

He had no trouble with that. He didn't want to stay on the back of a dragon any longer than he had to. Especially this one. Okay, any dragon really. But he'd only ever met one. And this one was about what he figured they'd all be like. It was not surprising.

Now that he was off the dragon and on his own two feet again, he felt the ground with his toes as he stood and slowly turned in a circle to see everything he could. The blanket was still held tightly. It was a comfort without him realizing it.

"C'mon. Follow me. We'll get you a bath, a proper one, and I'll get you some of Finch's clothes. They should fit you. No, Xacke's might fit you better."

Finch? Xacke? Wait a second. Did Locke just mention a bath?! Immediately he opened his mouth and turned to see where Locke was, but shut it when he had to hurry and catch up. Locke had already started moving away.

Entering Locke's home, he assumed it was the man's home, Elikos did another brief full turn to see everything he could. Circling helped him compensate for his only being able to see with one eye. Some might call it a quirk but he found it useful. What he saw in this first inspection of Locke's home was luxury. Luxury the kind of which he'd never seen before. And it was clean! Like very clean. And he became even more aware of his own stench. No wonder the foul dragon wanted him off.

"I'll get your bath started. Please, don't sit down anywhere yet, but I'll get you some food and water to enjoy while the water is heating up."

His heart had started to calm itself from the mad dash out of his life-long home, and the fright of Between. But with the mention of food, which stood out far greater in his ears than the word bath ever would, his heart started racing again, for a whole different reason. Eagerness. Excitement. Fear it wasn't real.

"There you go. If you want more-"

It became real as it was set before him upon the table. His eyes narrowed in suspicion. Nothing could be this good. Being given food like this. Entering the luxurious mansion of The Reaper himself. And then...

"Simply help yourself. I'll be back."

His lips did not part in speech but his jaw did do a brief drop of shock. Help himself? To more food? And then Locke left the room. He peered after him for a time as his hands reached for the food and shoved it hurriedly into his mouth. Better to be inside him before a change of heart could happen then not. And if he worked quickly maybe he could...

The sounds of movement and preparation of something could be heard in the other room as Elikos got quickly to work. Shoving more food into his mouth the second it was empty he kept up his hurried sneaking. The last of the food he'd taken from the pantry was being stashed underneath the chair cushion. Several places around this amazing home was now safely hiding food stashes he could consume later if, no when things got tough here for him.

He dared not redistribute any more food so was back at the table with a mouth full of food when Locke came back into the room. A small piece of jerky he'd not known he'd dropped could be seen upon the floor heading out of the kitchen. Also his pockets were not as entirely flat as they had been before.

"Alright, there is a clean set of clothes in there for you. Just throw those away in the trash can. There's a bag on the edge of the tub. That's soap, use as much as you need to. Oh, and a couple different scrub brushes. I'm sure you're really hungry, so I'll start on dinner while you bathe. The others should be coming home before too long."

Clean clothes. Throw his own clothes away?! But... Wait, Locke had a tub? Soap? Scrub brushes were only good for scrubbing the floors of the orphanage on hands and knees and being struck with by grouchy care-wardens. They were hard and bristly things. Was he suppose to clean the floor? He was confused.

So the jerky and cheese was not to be his rich banquet after all. "There's...more?" He couldn't help but ask aloud as he choked on the food still in his mouth, dusting the table with crumbs of cheese before he could swallow it with more water. "Others?" He also asked as he cleared his throat and started to head tentatively in the direction Locke had just come from. The blanket was curled at his feet and he wondered if he should bring it with him before it was snatched away. Bending down for it as he listened to the answers to his questions, he gathered the blanket to his chest in a ball, one hand still holding a piece of jerky.

When it was time for him to go find out what all this bath thing was about, he made his feet move to go check it out.

Parker

Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:46 pm

Locke was a perceptive man, he had to be in his line of work, so while he spoke to Elikos about the bath being ready for him and everything else. His light-colored eyes took in the young thief. His pockets were full and there was a piece of jerky on the ground a bit away. Locke could figure it out...Elikos wouldn't be the first street rat to come to his home, be offered food, and then try to hide that food in places for later just in case. It didn't upset him. He understood fully. If you lived in The Bottoms and you were lucky enough to get your hands on a good amount of food, then you hid that shit. For now, Locke didn't say anything.

"There's...more? Others?"

A knowing grin crossed his face. "Yes, my dear young thief. Here at the weyr, riders eat well. Lucky for you, I'm not a bad cook. What sort of meal would you care for tonight? How about steak? I'm sure some red meat would do you well. That and some steamed veggies and dinner rolls. How does that sound to you?" He suggested. "Yes, my children. Xacke is my oldest. He's ten and my only blood child. Then there are Hope and Faith. They're twins and nine turns old. They come from the Bottoms, as well. Colten is five, he is Hope and Faith's biological young brother. Finch is eight. He hasn't been with me long. I and my husband rescued him from slavers in the Bottoms." Locke explained. "Now there is you."

"C'mon. I'll show you to the bath." Locke said as he began to head towards his bathing chamber. Along the way he made it a point to stop at several locations and reveal where Elikos hid his food. "You don't have to hide food here, Elikos. I understand the reason you did it, but you don't have to. What you have in your pockets you can keep, if you want, but no more taking food and hiding it." At the door to the bathing chamber he gestures for Elikos to go on in. "I'd suggest using the brush on your hair as well as your body. Get all the filth off of you. If you need anything, I'll start on dinner." Locke said and then left him to it.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Loyalty

Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:27 am

"Yes, my dear young thief. Here at the weyr, riders eat well. Lucky for you, I'm not a bad cook. What sort of meal would you care for tonight?"

Elikos was about to open his mouth to suggest that 'anything' would be really okay with him. But his open mouth just stayed open as shocked silence reigned at Locke's next words.

"How about steak? I'm sure some red meat would do you well. That and some steamed veggies and dinner rolls. How does that sound to you?"

Finding his voice, he cleared his throat a little and spoke the best he could. "Uh...okay." Did he actually expect to get steak? Not in a million turns. He wasn't stupid. Steak? He mentally snorted. The Reaper probably thought he was an idiot if he expected Elikos to buy that he'd ever get anything such as that. Before he could decide whether or not to say such things aloud, the subject of 'the others' was discussed. And it was worrisome.

"Yes, my children. Xacke is my oldest. He's ten and my only blood child. Then there are Hope and Faith. They're twins and nine turns old. They come from the Bottoms, as well. Colten is five, he is Hope and Faith's biological young brother. Finch is eight. He hasn't been with me long. I and my husband rescued him from slavers in the Bottoms." Locke explained. "Now there is you."

Those ages seemed pretty young for a gang. Or maybe Locke kept slaves? Maybe the slaves he'd freed? The man did say he'd 'rescued' them from the Bottoms. And then there was him. Elikos. Did Locke think that he was....

"I ain't your child. I don't do gangs." He stated with quiet boldness, as if simply informing the man of something well known like, the sky was made of stone. Then he followed as Locke led the way to the bathing area. It made him nervous. Baths at the orphanage were far and few between and not something you'd want to get. Something told Elikos that this wasn't like it had been then. This would be different.

His throat swallowed and his palms began to sweat as Locke proceeded to reveal some of the places he'd just hidden food. How did the man know?! Every sort of swear coursed through his mind and maybe one or two even slipped out in whispers upon his stubborn lips. Was it time to run?

"You don't have to hide food here, Elikos. I understand the reason you did it, but you don't have to. What you have in your pockets you can keep, if you want, but no more taking food and hiding it."

Elikos blinked. Locke even know what he had in his pockets?! For what seemed like the tenth time that very hour his mouth fell open with speechlessness. Shaking his head to mentally kick himself out of this continued shock he seemed be finding himself in he blurted out boldly his prepared excuse, for it was the only thing he could think of to do. Nothing else about his recent experiences prepared him for this. "Ya told me I could help myself if I wanted more." That's what Locke said alright and he'd remind him of it. "I didn't steal nothin'. "

When they got to the bathing chamber he peeked in.

"I'd suggest using the brush on your hair as well as your body. Get all the filth off of you. If you need anything, I'll start on dinner."

So the brush wasn't for scrubbing the bathroom floor? He sure hoped it was not as hard as the ones he remembered or he's scratch his own skin off just by looking at it. Dinner! That word stood out. He wondered what Locke would make. He still did not believe that 'steak, vegi and the like would be the outcome. Maybe broth? Broth was good. Especially if it was still warm and not gummed up with solidified fat that had once been liquid but when solid when cool. But he'd take even that really. Food was food. He wasn't a picky eater. Still holding the blanket with one hand he bite off some jerky that he held in the other as he entered the moist air of the bathing chamber.

A bath.

Looking to the large wooden tub and the bag of, Locke said it was soap, and the brushes, the set of clothes that were nicer than anything he'd ever had before, and towels and.... Elikos did his customary circle standing in one place and turned around to see everything he could possibly see. Including any and all exits, possible weapons, hiding places and all that he might see and use if he had to.

A bath.

Glancing down at his now dried gutter-slimed body he wrinkled his nose in disgust. It had saved his life but even for a street rat like him, it had been pretty gross. Setting the blanket down he pulled out all of the food from his pockets and placed them into the folds of his blanket, yes HIS blanket. He had no intention of giving it back. Stuffing his face one more time, he coughed a bit and as he chewed and swallowed, he stripped out of his soiled, worn out pants. It hurt to use his bruised arm but he managed without complaint.

A bath.

Standing up from that task he tossed the worn out pants into the tub and leaned over the edge to watch them out. There was no way he was going to toss them in the trash. Forget it! Right away the water turned gross as he dunked the fabric, grabbed it in both hands and scrubbed the fabric between the knuckles of both fists. He knew very young how to do laundry properly. When it was as good as he thought it would be, having tossed in a little too much soap and having trouble rinsing most of it out, he drug it up and started to ring it out to hang on the edge of something. But the effort of just lifting the waterlogged fabric made his arm scream in pain. Halting that idea he just draped it over the side of the tub instead. The puddle forming upon the floor underneath it went unnoticed.

A bath.

The bubbly suds in the water masked the horrible state it was in. He still thought it a luxury that it was even provided. And warm too! He tentatively stepped in, thinking he'd get yanked out or beaten for it, despite what had been said, and sank down so the water was around his chest in height. As he'd do in barrels he took to scrubbing the skin of his arms and face, then thought to do his legs and feet. His hair. His long matted hair. Locke had told him to use a brush on his skin and his hair?

A bath.

He looked to one of the nearby brushes, got out of the tub and picked it up, leaving a growing flood upon the floor and then stepped back in, shivering a bit as the air was colder than the water. Scrubbing his body he suddenly yelped out loud as a bruise he didn't know he had acquired was hit. He bit back the tears his pain threatened and kept going, more carefully this time.

A bath.

Looking at the water, he wondered how best to wash his hair. He had no intention of submerging his head. That would never happen. What if he slipped and couldn't get up again or got lost in the suds or.... Rolling his eyes at himself, he realized he was being rather stupid and went ahead and dunked. He did not like the sensation of having his face in the water though so was very quick to scrub his hair as best he could while he still had the courage to keep his head under. When he raised his head and gasped in the breath of air, he called it good and fairly jumped out of the tub. Thus inciting a wave to follow him, threatening the top of the tub in a tidalwave. Thankfully it stopped just in time but his own body covered in wet made its own soaking contribution to the already growing puddle-flood on the floor.

He looked at the clothes and then checked to see that the food in his blanket hadn't been taken when his head was submerged. Dressing in the incredibly soft fabric that actually fit like nothing had before, he stuffed those pockets with the food and held the blanket to his chest as he exited the room. He'd forgotten to dry off with the towel before he'd dressed. Leaving wet barefoot marks in his wake.

His nose immediately started scenting something that caused his mouth to water. Wow, that broth smelled good.

Parker

Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:35 pm

"I ain't your child. I don't do gangs."

Locke sighed and shook his head. He was not surprised that Elikos would automatically assume that he meant he had a gang. "I don't run a gang, Elikos. I may do a lot of...questionable things in Walled Hold, but I don't run a gang. My children are my family. We...I raise them as a father, not a gang leader." He explained softly and with genuine tones. "I give them shelter, food, see to it they are educated, give them responsibilities, and...this one I know you won't believe, but it is true, I give them love. All without expecting anything in return, because that is what a father does for his children." He was telling the truth.

"Ya told me I could help myself if I wanted more. I didn't steal nothin'. "

"I meant to eat, not to hide. I'm not accusing you of stealing, but the food should remain in the pantry. Give me a day and you will see I am not lying to you." Locke explained to him. He knew that Elikos would take time to truly believe that he was safe here and that he wouldn't lack for any of the basic needs.

Once he was sure that Elikos was as set as he could be in the bathing room, Locke headed to the kitchen and began to prepare dinner. First was cutting all of the veggies after he salted the steaks and set them to rest until he was done chopping. He had just put the veggies on to cook when the door to the house suddenly bust open. He turned to see his small hoard of children piling in. "Hey kids!" He greeted them.

Two girls with very dark hair came running up to him and grabbed him around the waist. "Dad, Dad, Dad...can we spend the night with Mailla? She asked if we could. Can we please?" Faith asked. She was the more talkative of the twins. Both of them looked at him with pleading eyes. Considering his new guest, it probably wasn't a bad idea. "Oh, all right, I guess that would be fine. Just behave yourselves, okay?" They promised and then ran to their room to get their things.

Locke put down his towel and moved to meet the creche mother that had brought them home. "Mind seeing the girls to Mailla's place? Oh and I hate to spring this on you so shortly, but do you mind keeping Colten tonight?"

"No, not at all. Everything alright?" She asked.

Locke gave Colten, who was in his creche mother's arm, a hug and a kiss. "Oh yeah. Thank you. I'll be around to get him tomorrow." He watched as Xacke and Finch came through. "Hey boys. Dinner will be ready soon." After a couple more goodbyes, Locke went back to making dinner.

With Finch and Xacke helping, the table was set quickly. Locke placed the veggies in the middle of the table and then placed a steak on each plate. He had explained to his two boys that they had a guest and a bit about where he had come from. Finch understood better than Xacke did. The boy began to dig in, but Locke stopped him, "No, we wait for Elikos. He should be done by now."
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Loyalty

Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:10 am

Locke was not the only one he saw when he walked through the doorway. At the table were two boys younger than himself. One held himself in a familiar way. The older seemed to hold himself differently. A house-kid. A kid with a family, a home, parents.

Locke's words before his bath about being a father echoed briefly into his thoughts when he saw the boys. What had their names been? He couldn't remember. Feeling very out of place and foreign in this world of fine dress and luxurious surroundings evaporated quickly when his eye caught sight of the good smell his nose had detected.

Vegetables and steak! Just as the man had mentioned. Where was the broth meant for the likes of street-trash like him? Where were the table scraps he could snatch later? And then he saw it. There was an extra place at the table. Hesitating he kept hold of his blanket and tried to understand the significance of all of this. He was not slow of mind. He was slow of belief, of trust. Was this place at the table for him? Where were Locke's other children? It had to be for one of them. They were nowhere to be seen or heard.

Standing there as his wet hair soaked the fabric of his tunic, he brushed some of it away from his face with one hand while still holding the blanket with the other. It still gave him a comfort to hold it. If he had to run, just having the things he currently had on him now would improve his life a great deal from what it had been only a short time before.

Getting over his hesitation, he decided to act boldly to see what might happen. Ever on the alert to body language that might signal him to dodge, duck or run he walked right up to the empty place at the table. Looking everyone in the eye, he looked at the chair and sat down on it, wiggling it closer to the table; the blanket was now upon his lap. (Where he could sneak a bite or two of food into its folds.)

"I'm Elikos." He stated more calmly than he felt. His volume still held quiet out of long-habit. "This is my place." He worded it with confidence instead of with question. An outward acknowledgement of the 'truth' that seemed obvious. Inwardly he hoped he had the right of it.

He'd ask for their names again later but right now, he was hungry still. The cheese and jerky helped but with food like steak, now was not the time for chatter. Now was the time to stuff one's face as quickly as possible. He reached one of his hands towards the food to do just that. He did not pick up the fork next to the plate. He was so used to doing without, it hadn't occurred to him that it should probably be used.

Parker

Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:07 am

Finch was far more patient on having to dig into the delicious food than Xacke was. Then again, Finch remembered a time when he didn't have such ready access to food, so he could wait. Xacke, though, had always been a weyrbrat and had never lacked for food once in his life. However, both of his boys were well-behaved and knew better than to go against their father's wishes. So they all waited patiently until their guest came out of the bathing chamber.

Finally, the bathing room door opened and Xacke craned his neck around to see the new kid. Locke gave Elikos a smile as he came into the room and stood there for a moment. "How do you feel now, Elikos? Better I hope. Dinner is ready." He stated and gestured towards the food-laden table. The unsure child simply stood there for a moment. Xacke continued to stare, that is until Finch kicked his shin lightly to get him to stop. "Elikos, this is Xacke and Finch. The twins are staying at a friend's tonight and I asked the creche to keep Colten." He thought that might be better so the lad wasn't too overwhelmed.

"I'm Elikos. This is my place."

Locke gave him a warm smile as he settled at the empty plate left for him. "Yes, this is your place. Alright, kids, dig in." Locke said and began to eat himself. He watched as Elikos began to dig in with his hands. He didn't correct him. Learning how to use silverware took time.

Finch, however, seemed to understand. He cleared his throat as he looked at Elikos. Once he had his attention he picked up his fork and knife and began cutting the steak into pieces to show him how it was properly done. Locke needed to work on getting Finch to talk more, but perhaps having another kid from the Bottoms around would help to bring him out of his shell.

"This is really good, Dad." Xacke stated around a mouthful of steak.

"Don't eat with your mouth open, son, but thank you. I thought it would be nice to have a special dinner in honor of having Elikos with us." Locke stated as he picked up the basket of dinner rolls and passed them around.

"Is he staying with us from now on?" Finch asked in his soft voice.

Locke looked at Elikos. "For now, at least. He is more than welcome to stay with us permanently if he would like, but that is up to him."
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Loyalty

Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:10 am

Xacke and Finch. Those were the boys' names. Maybe this time he would remember. He did not answer Locke's question about how he was feeling, with words. Instead he raised one shoulder slightly in the semblance of a shrug. How could he admit to being so overwhelmed as to not know what to say to anything anymore? What kind of an idiot would he be to even admit it?

After he'd claimed his table spot, Locke said something strange. Or something else strange. If the man's warm smile wasn't weird enough, he'd actually agreed that this was Elikos' place. He didn't backhand him for his presumptuousness. He didn't yell at him and kick him to the floor where the dogs were suppose to eat. Elikos, not for the first time was speechless. It didn't matter though, it wasn't the time for speaking anyway. It was time to eat, while he still could. Snatching the steak off the plate with his hand, his other rested in his lap, his shoulder hurting too much to use it just then, he bit into it and tore off a large chunk which he practically tried to inhale.

A quiet clearing of the throat came from the youngest boy. Elikos knew to pay attention to a cleared throat. When his gaze locked onto the other boy, he watched and chewed. Knife. Fork. Glancing to the other two at the table to see that they also held these eating tools in their hands, he very slowly set his meat back onto his plate. Wiping the meat juices off on the blanket in his lap he looked to either side of his own plate. Getting distracted by the passing of the bread rolls, he snatched two, one of which found its way into his blanket, the other into another large bite before he drank it all down with gulps of what was in his mug near his plate.

When that was down and heading towards his stomach, he looked again at everyone at the table, and then again to his eating tools. Moving his injured arm tenderly, as well as his good one he picked up the knife and fork and furrowed his brows with concentration as he attempted to use them the way the others were. It was awkward at best. Slipping, the knife sent a piece of the vegetable on his plate slipping off. Frowning with irritation, he poked at the vegi with his fork and put it in his mouth. It tasted weird but hey, it was food and food was great.

Trying again, he somehow managed to cut the meat into a bigger-than-bite-sized piece and stabbed it with his fork, making a clattering noise as the fork ends hit the solid plate underneath the meat, having stabbed it too hard. This shouldn't be this hard. But he was not going to give up. Instead of giving up, he got angry at it. Frowning and furrowing his brow in concentration until those at the table faded from his concentration. They weren't moving in a way to cause him alarm and so he kept his focus on what was currently important. Food and eating it the way home people did. With stupid forks and knifes. He didn't understand the logic of it. But he was trying. "This is stupid." He muttered to himself around the food in his mouth as he tried to cut a second piece with no more success than the last one. He'd not know he'd spoke aloud.

Was he staying? That surprising question was uttered and he froze and looked up. Then he began to chew again as his knife and fork rested in frozen stances upon the steak. Glancing from Finch to Xacke to Locke, when the man answered, he swallowed hard and shrugged both shoulders this time. Cringing as his hurt arm reminded him not to move it too much. "Don't know yet." He answered. And he didn't. He did not know a lot of things. Maybe if they kept feeding him he'd stay for as long as he wasn't getting kicked like a dog. Maybe he would even then. Food was life. So was a dry place to sleep. "Maybe." He added as an afterthought.