Topsy-Turvy | Tag: Fawkes/Elysia

The Crafter Complex is a series of buildings that contain craft halls and rooms for the crafters of New Atricis to work. There is a single dorm building for apprentices, while journeyman and masters live in second floor rooms in their respective crafts. Off to the side from the complex is the largest building, the Infirmary, where everyone in the Weyr receives Healer attention and desk workers keep track of who comes and goes at the entrance to the Infirmary.
Linnea
Pronouns: Any: He/Him She/Her They/Them

Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:39 pm

Xarria closed her eyes and reached out to Ruby, focusing on the bond and the flashes of images sent her way. Rina was still working on a transcription. Good. She had plenty of time, still. With a grin and a hum, Xarria picked the fourth book from the left off the top shelf and swapped it with the fourth book from the right on the bottom shelf, slipping both of them in upside down from how they'd been placed before.

It was great. Rina would come back this way to return the scrolls she had been working on and see a bookshelf turned completely upside down. Xarria would be hiding, waiting for the shouting to start, watching through Ruby's eyes and trying not to laugh too early.

This was so much better than trying to find something to do in the early autumn heat—the kind that told you it was still summer despite what the calendar said. The archives were on the lower floor of their building in the crafter complex, where the weather would remain cooler to help preserve the parchment and keep away mold and mildew—or so Rina had explained when Xarria had once asked her, while lying on the floor complaining about summer humidity. It would heat up over the course of the day, which would be when Xarria would move to the Weyr Lake, or maybe float down the river with some ale. But, for now, Xarria giggled and pulled the fifth book from the left off the top shelf. “Too much fun~” she sang beneath her breath as went to swap it with the fifth book from the right on the bottom shelf.
Fawkes
Junior Admin
Title: The Majestic Birb
Pronouns: She/Her, or Birb

Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:24 am

Her fingers ran over the smooth spines of the books on the shelf in front of her, and the bluerider peered at the titles and names, moving to the next, and then the next, and continued on searching. What had that author's name been? She could have sworn the book was called something like Tales or Stories of Arawn, or Aroon? The archivist down here already seemed to be hard at work, hunched over a transcript and Elys wasn't the sort to disturb if she thought she could just find it on her own. So, she continued her search, hoping that by reading titles and authors might help to jog her memory.

However, something else caught her attention first, a singsong voice just on the other side of the stack. Fun? she asked herself, wondering if that's what she heard, and listened for a little while longer as she heard the faint, impish hum. It was a familiar tune, something that struck a chord within her of that mischievous nature that was always just itching beneath the surface. Elys knew she HAD to find out what was so fun now, and she abandoned her task of searching titles, to move toward the end of the stack and peer around the corner.

What she saw after she watched for a while, was a tall woman feeling along the lines of books, and then plucking one, moving to the opposite corner and then replacing them with each other. The bluerider scrunched her brows as she watched the other woman do it again, and again, though she couldn't quite put her finger on why this was such mischievous fun. She left her place against the end of the stack and moved down the aisle toward the woman, foot falls soft but she wasn't trying to hide herself either.

Elys approached with a quirked brow and her gaze shifted to the shelves of books the woman had already been working on. "I don't get it... what's so fun?" She asked, and then gave the books a little closer inspection... they were, Upside down! Aha! The bluerider made a noise that was slightly impressed, a soft 'hmph' in her throat when she noticed. Well that was definitely a little something fun at least, but she still wasn't sure what the point was. "Okay, well that's kinda funny." She said with a smile tugging at the corner of her lips in appreciation, wondering what sort of mischief this woman was getting into.
This Intoxication Thrills Me,
I Only Pray It Doesn't Kill Me

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

If You Want Something You've Never Had,
You Must Be Willing To Do Something You've Never Done.

#332500/#C1A00C | #8AA259 | #A8482A | #B69064 | #667A8C | #B72334/#C3C3D0 | #181D68
~ Character Tracker ~ | * Marks Tracker *
Linnea

Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:56 am

As caught up in her work as she was, it took a while for Xarria to hear the footsteps. She knew it couldn't be Rina. Rina would have figured out what was going on the moment she saw and she would not have been quiet about it. Xarria did still reach out to Ruby once more for confirmation that the woman was still working on trabscribing and she did still sigh in relief when she received confirmation.

"I don't get it... what's so fun?" the footsteps behind her said.

Xarria giggled a bit nervously, not sure who it was she spoke with, but unwilling to call Ruby from her watch for assistance.

Before she could say anything, however, the other woman seemed to catch on to what she was doing. "Okay, well that's kinda funny."

And Xarria exhaled the breath she was holding in relief. "The funny part's going to be when Rina sees the shelf. This is just the set-up. I'm barely doing anything and she's still going to freak." The other woman seemed to find some entertainment in Xarria's actions, so hopefully she wouldn't turn on her heel here and ruin all of Xarria's hard work by pulling Rina from her parchment.
Fawkes
Junior Admin

Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:56 pm

"The funny part's going to be when Rina sees the shelf. This is just the set-up. I'm barely doing anything and she's still going to freak."

Elysia gave a glance over her shoulder toward the room where the archivist was working, presumably this Rina the woman spoke of. Who else would 'freak out' over a few books being misplaced, or upside on the shelf other than the one who so lovingly organized them there. The blueriders' grin widened a little further as she stepped up toward the bookshelf and gazed over the titles absently. "So, pull one down, flip it and replace it with the opposite corner?" She asked, a hint of that mirthful mischievousness leaking into her voice as well as she reached for the first book.

Suppose, it didn't really matter which way she put them, but it might be a tad bit easier to replace them when the time came if they weren't entirely random. She knew the archivist likely spent a chunk of time organizing this, and while the little stunt would be fun to see the crafters' face, it had to be easy enough to fix when the time came too. That was the point of a Good prank, the sort that is funny, but not harmful or detrimental, and if this Rina didn't immediately ban them from the archives, then she would offer to help make it right afterall.

Elysia set to work beside the greenrider, wordlessly yet chuckling softly from time to time as she moved one book into the place of another. I'm not sure I see the sense in this. Came a voice in the back of her mind, her conscience as it were. It doesn't have to make sense to anyone else, that's the beauty of it. Come on Kelp, it's been forever since I pulled any kind of prank, except on Keetin, but those don't seem to get the reaction I want anymore. He's getting too used to it now. The young woman rambled a little to her bonded while she shifted the books around, glancing to the tall woman beside her and casting a wry sort of smirk in her direction.

Something about the way she moved, the way her gaze seemed .... absent as she worked with the books, her fingers doing most of the work. Elys took a moment to realize the truth of the matter then, and she sucked in a breath as she paused in her own toil of moving books. She didn't want to be rude though, to ask outright if the woman was able to see her or not, because that was just... inappropriate, wasn't it? Instead, the bluerider went back to her work of swapping and flipping books right along side her as if nothing was the matter with either of them, just sharing in a sneaky little secret, both of them waiting for the moment when the archivist would find either them, or their handy work later.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

#332500/#C1A00C | #8AA259 | #A8482A | #B69064 | #667A8C | #B72334/#C3C3D0 | #181D68
Linnea

Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:29 am

"So, pull one down, flip it and replace it with the opposite corner?"

Xarria grinned at the interested curiosity in the other woman's voice. "Yeah," she explained, "It'll be like the whole shelf's been flipped on its head." It also made it easier for her to keep track of everything she had rearranged, since she couldn't go by sight.

Xarria counted to the sixth book from the left on the top shelf and swapped it out with the sixth book from the bottom right. Before she could place the sixth book from the bottom right in the place of the sixth book from the top left, however, she heard the other woman pull a book from the shelf.

Xarria instantly froze, unsure of where the book had been pulled from. Things became worse when she heard the book slide back in and another one come out. She had hoped the other woman would just keep quiet. Help was appreciated, but, at the same time, Xarria needed to know exactly how she was being helped to make sure they weren't undoing each others' work.

She reached up to the top shelf, counted six from the left to find an empty spot and slipped the book into place.

"I'm assuming you're trying to help," she said, "because it sounded like you were interested enough, but just jumping in is going to throw me off." Her fingers danced along the seventh book from the left, unsure if it was one of the ones that had been switched already. "I can't see what you're doing," she explained, hoping she didn't make the other woman angry. Sometimes people got mad at her when she tried to correct their behaviors or actions regarding her--as if they knew what she needed more than she did. It generally led to an argument, and Xarria would much rather continue pulling this prank on Rina than get kicked out of the archives for disrupting everyone's work. "I can do this on my own because I count to keep track of which books I've already switched."

"I'm not saying you can't help me," she explained. "This will be more fun with someone else, after all. But I need to set this up so I know what's happening. Maybe you can pull from the bottom and trade for the top books with me? Or I can work the top and bottom shelves and you can work the middle ones? I'll need to know which books you switched, already, too."
Fawkes
Junior Admin

Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:37 pm

When the greenrider spoke up, Elysia paused, book in hand and glanced over at her. For a moment, she felt her heart drop and looked at the bookshelf where she'd been working. She hadn't wanted to get in the other woman's way, only trying to help, and so she'd started on a different section to not disrupt what was already being worked on. She listened though, and was slightly relieved to hear the woman say she couldn't see, since Elys had already deduced, though hadn't wanted to pry. The greenrider went on to suggest ways that Elysia could help though, and the bluerider smiled in spite of the other woman unable to see it.

"Oh... well, I didn't want to get in your way anyways, so I started in a different section, one down from you. Figured you had your own system, and I'm smart enough not to mix that up. Sorry, I just jumped in... I can swap those few books back if you'd rather I just not, or maybe do the shelf behind you instead? How long you think the archivist will be busy?" The bluerider rambled a bit, perhaps a little excited at the opportunity of the prank, but realized maybe her help wasn't as appreciated as she hoped it would be. "I should have asked, sorry 'bout that, just... been a while." Elys added with a slight bounce in her step and anticipation in her tone, a sly sort of smile tugging at her lips as she regarded the book shelf, then glanced down the rows toward the archivits' room.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Linnea

Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:41 am

"Oh... well, I didn't want to get in your way anyways, so I started in a different section, one down from you.”

Xarria sighed and smiled at that. She wouldn't have to worry about being thrown off. Her relief turned into concern, however, as the other woman continued to speak, apologizing for joining in.

“No, no!” Xarria tried to argue, but silenced herself as the other woman kept talking.

“I can swap those few books back if you'd rather I just not, or maybe do the shelf behind you instead? How long you think the archivist will be busy? I should have asked, sorry 'bout that, just... been a while."

Xarria shook her head, hoping the other woman was looking her way. “It's fine, really,” she said. “Pranks are always more fun when there's someone to share them with, so I'm happy you could join me. I really did just need to know where you were working so I didn't mess anything up.” She fingered the spine and cover of the book, her fingers tracing over the cover, playing at the soft texture of the leather.

“As for Rina,” she said, “I have Ruby watching her. She's my eyes and will let me know when she starts this way.” With a quick mental check, Ruby confirmed Rina was still bent over her desk and Xarria grinned. “We can at least finish this entire bookshelf here. She's fast with her work but tends to forget about keeping an eye on the rest of the archives while she's working.”

Xarria was about to turn back to the shelf when she realized something important, however. “I'm Xarria, by the way, rider of green Selkieth. Who are you?”
Fawkes
Junior Admin

Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:59 pm

Elysia held back a little longer after she spoke, wondering if she'd done something wrong, but it seemed the other woman was actually happy for the help, just needed to keep track of things in her head, since she couldn't see. That made perfect sense, and Elys hadn't wanted to intrude anyways, so starting in a different section just seemed to make sense too. Once she was given the okay, the bluerider stepped back up to the shelves and began again, carefully sliding a book out of it's place.

At the mention of the archivist, the bluerider found her gaze flickering toward the end of the shelves, but the other woman assured her there was a lookout watching Rina, presumably the riders' flitter of some sort. "Well that's good, in our favor at least." Elysia replied, replacing the book with it's opposite counterpart and moved onto the next as a sly sort of smile crept over her features. It was a harmless prank, the best kind, and so simple that it was fun... It really had been too long since she's pulled any kind of prank though, so there was a sense of excitement and apprehension that began to build as they worked on the book shelf.

“I'm Xarria, by the way, rider of green Selkieth. Who are you?”

Oh, how rude of her! Elys gave a slight shake of her head and then turned toward the other woman, the greenrider as she pulled down the next book. "My names' Elysia, rider of blue Kelpieth. Pleasure to join in this little fun with you Xarria." The bluerider said with a soft chuckle, a light and easy quality to her tone as she moved to opposite corner of the shelf and worked to replace the books.

"So... This isn't the first time you've pulled something on Rina is it?" The young woman said, her lips curling ever so slightly into a smirk that seemed to inflect her words with a hint of mischief. From the sounds of the lookout, and the greenriders' knowledge of the archivist, this could not be the first prank ever on the crafter. "She the easy target sort then?" Elys asked with a chuckle this time, grinning as she swapped the next set of books and continued on diligently.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Linnea

Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:38 pm

"Nice to work with you, Elysia," Xarria agreed with a happy hum. The buzz of a prank was afire under her skin and her fingers twitched as she swapped each book, finishing the top and bottom rows and moving to the next set. The excitement drew Selkieth's attention from where she was soaking up the morning sun. It was their day off today, so the green hadn't expressed interest in doing much as of yet, but Xarria's energy was apparently beginning to transfer.

Don't pout at me when you get kicked out for good, she teased.

As if Rina ever would, Xarria replied assuredly.

"So... This isn't the first time you've pulled something on Rina is it?"

Xarria shook her head.

"She the easy target sort then?"

That caused Xarria to pause. And frown. Because Rina could be an easy target, but easy target wasn't always a good thing. Xarria didn't want people pranking her maliciously or too frequently. There was an art to it if you wanted to get the best reaction.

"Rina gets so caught up in work, she kinda forgets the rest of the world," she finally explained. "One time," she added with an embarrassed flush, "I snuck up on her and she knocked over her inkpot. I hadn't even been trying to scare her? I just wanted to see when her shift was over. I was banned from here for two weeks." Because it wasn't so much whether Rina was an easy target, but whether she was a good target. And there were times when Rina was not a good target.

"She just needs someone to help her have fun or she'd probably just move in here and never stop working," Xarria explained with a grin. "So if you know her, you know when she's a good target and in need of a reminder that fun exists and she should have it."

"Bringing friends to bother Rina now, Xarria?"

Xarria froze mid book-switch. "Who is it?" she asked nervously.

The apprentice harper at the end of the row snickered and replied, "Bristol."

Xarria immediately sighed, her tense shoulders dropping and nervous face slipping back into a smile. Bristol was usually willing to work with her. "Don't tell Rina, okay?" she asked him all the same.

Bristol waved his hand in agreement. "I'm not the one cleaning this up."

Xarria smiled even more brilliantly, already knowing to take his words as express approval. "Of course not," she promised. "Rina will tear the shelves apart the moment she sees it, anyway. Are Tonner or Battri here today? Ruby didn't see them, but..."

"Nah," Bristol shook his head. "They're probably out sunning themselves. They only tend to stay in here when the weather's bad. Rina doesn't like flitters playing around in here."

"Great!" Xarria pumped her first. She heard Bristol laugh again as his footsteps retreated.

With everything about her plans in the clear, Xarria turned back to the bookshelf and froze.

"Oh...where was I?"
Fawkes
Junior Admin

Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:06 am

She hadn't really meant to, but when the dragons voice sounded in her mind and teased about pouting, Elysia couldn't stop the grin that tugged at her lips. Perhaps it was a good thing the greenrider wouldn't see it either, because that had been meant as a private jest and she wasn't the sort to pry into another riders' conversations. It was awkward sometimes when she could only hear one half of the conversation, and for the most part, she did her best to tune it out, allow the voice to fade into the background of the others. This Selkieth sounded like the amusing sort though and she wondered if the green and Kelpie would get along.

But her mind wandered, and Xarria brought it back with her explanation about Rina, this archivist they were messing with, in a rather ingenious way too. Elysia listened as she continued to carefully and strategically swap books. She had meant her question in a casual, not sure what else to talk about sort of way, and was surprised with a little backstory on their proposed patsy. The bluerider even chuckled softly at the image of the inkpot spilling and the fury of the archivist, taking the hint that their quarry also had enough clout around here to make it worse for them if the wrong sort of prank was pulled on her. However, it sounded like Rina could use a good reminder from time to time as well, so one had to be thoughtful and careful in their choosing what and when.

Not that Elysia was of the mind to do this again to Rina, but it was fun to slip back into the mindset of choosing just the right target, the right action, and pulling it off. Or, so she thought they would...

"Bringing friends to bother Rina now, Xarria?"

Her heart stopped, her breath froze in her throat, and her ears seemed to almost perk up as she turned toward the sound of the voice. The greenrider seemed alarmed as well, and both culprits were caught with hands on the shelf or books in hand, frozen in place. Xarria spoke first, and the man answered her with a snicker, and a name. The greenrider seemed to visibly relax at introduction, but Elysia couldn't quite get those nerves back under control as her heart raced for a brief moment. She took a few breaths, gazing flickering from the harper to the shelves, to Xarria and back again while the two of them spoke about Rina, and presumably the archivists own pets who were thankfully outside.

The man gave them a laugh as he departed, leaving Elysia there to stare after him for a moment, wondering if they truly had just... gotten away with this so easily. Though, it seemed this greenrider was a regular around here and her antics were almost anticipated wherever she went.... Elysia liked her.

"Oh...where was I?"

For the briefest moment, she wondered why the woman was asking, and then it occurred to her that she'd lost her place on the shelf and couldn't see where it was she'd left off. "One sec." She said quietly, moving to replace the book she had been holding to finish her own sequence to know where to come back to. The bluerider shuffled toward her and took a glance up at the shelves before Xarria, her gaze glancing over all the bindings and looking for the last one that had been turned upside.

"Aha, here you are." The younger woman said, reaching for the greenriders hand carefully, and moving it into place on the binding of the next book in line. "That one there needs to be flipped still." She made sure to explain and then scanned the shelf to make sure and checked the corresponding section of the bottom half of the shelf. "Yup, that one, it's partner is still right side up too." Elysia gave a little nod of satisfaction and stepped back to let the greenrider settle back in again. She hovered for just a moment though, in case Xarria needed anything else, before stepping back to her own section of the aisle to start up again too.

"I take it, this Bristol is quite used to you... For a moment there, I thought we were goners." The bluerider teased, settling back into place before the shelf and finding the last book that she'd flipped as well.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage