Another Day, Another Dance | {tag} | Ember/Na'vi

The lands around New Atricis that are regarded as Atricis' new territory. Not as big as their previous protective range, but still lots of space and wilds to explore. Dragon Flights and Wher Runs also occur across these lands.
lucidmaus
Pronouns: She/Her

Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:38 pm

Though the Caravan should have moved on the next day, they didn't - nor was there much of a sense of urgency about it. Their guests needed to continue their journey and Marden dispatched one of the wagons to take them, with the instructions to return when their duty was fulfilled. With that instruction given, the lone wagon rattled off across the grasslands with the guests in tow. The rest of the Caravan was occupied with the usual duties throughout the day: acquiring food through foraging and light hunting and fishing, taking stock of the Caravan's supplies, and tending to repairs as needed. It was, for all of that, a relatively quiet day - save for the music that inevitably accompanied the work.

Some sang, others drummed, still others plucked on string instruments to keep time and maintain morale. Even Marden got in on it, as he tended to do. And the firelizards, well-trained as they were, assisted as best as they could - to the point of raising their own voices in song.

By the time day wore down into evening, all was well within the Caravan, and the musicians had set up properly around an early fire. The dancers put on lighter versions of their usual costumes - none of the heavy, shimmery 'scales' or the like, but plenty of swishy silks and cottons. Zultana joined them, of course; where they dressed in a rainbow of peacock-bright hues, she was striking in bold golds, greens, bronzes, and white.

They clapped to keep time, chanting along with the drums as they took their respective positions some distance from the fire. The tune told them the dance and they, wordlessly, set into it - it was a shorter piece, one designed to be evocative of the shifting of seasons. It started off bright and vibrant, full of shimmies and shakes that would have been more glorious with their scaled belts and chest-pieces. The dance transitioned into something slightly slower, but more sensual, as summer took over. Fall was marked by the gradual departure of dancers, this girl or that simply falling away onto the ground, like leaves from a tree. Winter always found Zultana alone, her dance a jagged, sharp thing, that would end with her in a stark, rigid posture.

But then the springtime melody started again and the thaw happened, with Zultana loosening up and the other dancers slowly unfurling from their prone postures. The dance repeated - again and again - as they perfected and tightened their moves. Occasionally, Marden barked directions from his vantage point on top of a wagon.

It was, all in all, just another evening of dance practice, performed as if no one was watching - just like any good dance should be.
Image Image Image Image Image Image

D'mah o | o Pahaliah o | o Zultana
Aglaia o | o Zoraida o | o Lulajeta

~*~
|:- Character Tracker -:|:- Marks Tracker -:|:- Plotter -:|
|:- Candidate Q'nairre -:|

Note
|:- Tag freely - no permission needed! -:|
|:- I'm open to any and all threads! -:|
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:32 am

Going hunting had been one thing. Hearing the music as they'd flown home - Chinolth had insisted upon it so his fish didn't freeze - had been another. The sounds had been distant, but just distinct enough to catch Na'vi's attention, and she'd had the blue dip low enough for them both to catch sight of the caravan a bit more than had already been noticed.

She didn't recognize their banner or colors, not that she had to. She ahdn't spent much time out and about since leaving Walled, and even what time had been enjoyed beyond the Weyr had been for work rather than leisure.

Even so, she couldn't help but wonder if they knew of her family, or if they'd been warned about the dangerous of the slavers. If they were new to the area, what if they were coming in blind to everything that could happen to them by human hands?

She bit down on her lip. Staying away would be in her best interest, simply because if word somehow reached her family...

We won't be long and a trip between...

But the fish.

Chinolth crooned and wiggled underneath her. They aren't as important as your comfort, silly!

She reached out to touch his warm hide and nodded, thankful for his blessedly beautiful heart. The soft finger to hide feel was enough for him to know to bank and find a wide space to land, and once she was on her feet, she took a cautious step forward, and looked around for someone to make contact with.

Please visit the above link for a list of my current
characters, links to their profiles, to see what
they look like, and find other little facts about them!

[ Marks Tracker | Graphics Shop | NPC Archive ]

“You fail only if you stop writing.”
— Ray Bradbury —

The gorgeous avatar is by the talented Kaenith.
lucidmaus

Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:33 am

The dancers continued in their gyres, even with the blue shadow that swept overhead. None of the girls looked up - they knew better than to risk breaking their concentration and positioning. Marden would not allow it.

There was, fortunately, plenty of open space for the blue to land and, when the magnificent beast had done so, a couple of the non-dancers peeled away from the wagons.

The two men were obviously related, though one was older than the other by at least a decade and possibly a bit more. Dark-haired, dark-eyed, and dusky-skinned, they were in fine health - though they looked a bit rough around the edges.

"Welcome to our camp, bluerider and blue," the younger man said, dipping into a bow that ended in a flourish.

"We have not yet started to prepare a meal," the older man said, mirroring the bow of the younger. "But we would be pleased to welcome you to our fire, all the same. This is Brother Yurden."

"And this is Brother Lisden," the younger said with a tilted sort of smile and a nod toward the older of the two. "The dancers are practicing right now, but you are both welcome to watch. Perhaps tonight will be the night that the blue entraps the gold!"

~*~

Note
Ember

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:32 am

They seemed welcoming enough, good. Perhaps that meant they would be receptive to what she had to say. She would need to be cautious though, considering she didn't know them. Strangers, she reminded herself, always did need to be treated with consideration.

"Thank you for the warm welcome, sirs." She said, minding her manners. She was a representative of her Weyr at present, and she wouldn't dare paint it in an ill picture. "I am Na'vi, weyrling rider of blue Chinolth."

When she spoke of him, the blue rumbled in welcome as well and when looked at, he could be seen attempting a bow of his own. He managed to pull it off rather smoothly, too. She couldn't help but smile at that. "He says he is pleased by your welcome to your fine caravan, and appreciates your invitation to me. I would enjoy the warmth of your hospitality, thank you."

— Ray Bradbury —

lucidmaus

Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:18 pm

Timing is, as always, everything.

"Thank you for the warm welcome, sirs." She said, minding her manners. She was a representative of her Weyr at present, and she wouldn't dare paint it in an ill picture. "I am Na'vi, weyrling rider of blue Chinolth."

Zultana arrives in that narrow span of time between introductions, rubbing vigorously at her face and neck with a damp towel. Her hair is a bit mussed from the process, but the result is a clean face and temporarily cool skin and she's more than willing to take the aesthetic hit.

Besides, it just took a little bit of quick smoothing to get those flyaways under control!

"He says he is pleased by your welcome to your fine caravan, and appreciates your invitation to me. I would enjoy the warmth of your hospitality, thank you."

"Ah! Welcome to our fire, Na'vi and Chinolth!" Zultana chimed in brightly. She draped the towel around her neck and laughed, clapping delightedly at the fine bow that the blue offered. The dancer bounced on the balls of her feet and it was Brother Lisden that looked askance at her. "Are you a performer, you handsome blue? You have all the makings of one, I can feel it."

"I thought you were practicing?" Lisden wondered.

"All done now, Brother! Father Marden wanted to speak with both of you, actually. Shoo! Go! I will take care of our honored guests." The dancer laughed and motioned for Lisden and Yurden to go - and they did, though with some degree of reluctance. Lisden looked back briefly, as if uncertain, but she flapped a hand at them to just go, already.

"My apologies, guest Na'vi. I'm Zultana. It's a pleasure to meet you and welcome you! Father Marden would be here to greet you himself, but he's busy." Sincere notes of apology rang in her voice and she briefly dipped her head. "I'm sure they told you that we don't have any performances right now. Later, certainly! But, please, come, come. I can at least show you around. What brings you both here?" The dancer was keen to include the dragon as well, her gaze going from rider to blue and back again.

~*~

Note
Ember

Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:40 am

Are you a performer, you handsome blue? You have all the makings of one, I can feel it."[/b]

I like her. She thinks I'm handsome. Chinolth stated to his rider, to which Na'vi was humored and smiled. She couldn't help but grin and sent confirmation to him that he could speak to the woman, and so he gently nudged Zultana to speak to her happily, bouncing slightly on his own paws as she had on her feet. I am Chinolth, and how wonderful it is that you can see how handsome I am.

"My apologies, guest Na'vi. I'm Zultana. It's a pleasure to meet you and welcome you! Father Marden would be here to greet you himself, but he's busy."

She wasn't sure why, but it was actually a bit of a relief. N'avi knew she shouldn't find herself feeling such a way when it was so important that she speak to the leader of the caravan, but she figured that it might make her more comfortable passing the information along. Fewer questions, more trusting of the woman, who was kinder, softer, smiling a little more. She imagined this "Father Marden" would be stiff and stern, and so she was happy to speak with Zultana instead. "It is of no issue, Zultana. I thank you for your time, and appreciate the fact that you've given me some of it. It's been more than enough."

"I'm sure they told you that we don't have any performances right now. Later, certainly! But, please, come, come. I can at least show you around. What brings you both here?"

She wasn't entirely sure how she should word herself. This was not the way to represent her Weyr after all. She was supposed to be back at Atricis, having just been sent out to hunt and fish, nothing else. But she needed to warn this unsuspecting folks of the dangers lurking in the shadows before they fell victim to individuals like The Ebonmark. "Can we take a walk perhaps, away from the caravan a little? With Chinolth by our side? He can do without the eyes feasting upon him I think." She could sense the ego inflating in her blue; he needed to be deflated and she needed him comfort and strength and attention.

— Ray Bradbury —

lucidmaus

Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:35 am

The touch of the blue's mind to her own was enough to make Zultana clap with delight again. More bouncing ensued, though whether the mirror the blue's or just the dancer being herself was hard to say.

"Ah! And so bold! Such a marvelous fellow you are!" Her eyes sparkled as she looked from Chinolth to Na'vi, then offered a hand to the blue. "May I touch?" The question was posed to both rider and dragon; she knew from experience that all dragonrider pairs had different views on speaking to - and touching - dragons. She had no desire to impose rudely!

"It is of no issue, Zultana. I thank you for your time, and appreciate the fact that you've given me some of it. It's been more than enough."

To which Zultana smiled, pleased enough that her presence would be suitable. She dipped her head into a shallow bow and replied, readily, "My time is yours, Na'vi. Please, take of it as you need."

Her tone started to shift to something more serious, her playfulness tempered by something - perhaps a look in Na'vi's eye or the way she moved. It was hard to say, more a matter of turns of observation than anything else. She looked inquisitively at the other woman and waited - but she did not have to wait long.

"Can we take a walk perhaps, away from the caravan a little? With Chinolth by our side? He can do without the eyes feasting upon him I think."

"Ah, but of course, of course," Zultana replied, her seriousness brightening somewhat with a tinge of her typical enthusiasm. "This way; here, we will not encounter any of the returning hunters." She even dared to lean in a bit, to whisper conspiratorially to the blue, "Perhaps when we return, I can see about getting a nice pot of scented oil for you and yours, mm?" It wouldn't be nearly enough to oil the whole blue, but enough to get his nose at the very least, so he could enjoy the scent.

~*~

Note
Ember

Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:40 am

"May I touch?"

Na'vi prepared herself to respond, saying that it was up to Chinolth, but before the words could even leave her lips, the blue was shoving his snouth against the other woman and crooning against her. Yes, yes, yes! Touch, touch, touch! The slight woman laughed and had to hold onto her stomach to keep from doubling over; the efforts to do so barely worked, and Chinolth was confused. Why are you laughing?

She gave her hand a little wave and tried to shake her head, hoping it would free her of a few bubbles of laughter. "Nothing." She hiccuped, and then swallowed in the hopes of swallowed down a few more lumps. "Don't worry about it, my love. Just know you've made me happy. Is that not enough?"

Chinolth turned back into the dancer and gave a snort. Riders can be so confusing sometimes. Don't get one of your own.

"Perhaps when we return, I can see about getting a nice pot of scented oil for you and yours, mm?"

Na'vi nodded, glad they were trying to slip away unnoticed, for the most part. It would be best this way, she thought, and with that, she tried to walk away, but Chinolth stopped her because he had been addressed. That would be nice. And for Baby too. He doesn't like smelling like flowers though.

She clicked her tongue but smiled fondly at the blue. "Baby is his gemlizard, we had to leave him at the Weyr while we hunted." She explained politely.

— Ray Bradbury —

lucidmaus

Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:08 am

The laughter was infectious, even if Zultana wasn't truly sure why the bluerider was laughing. Still, the blue's enthusiasm was a delightful thing and she welcomed it, embracing his muzzle briefly before rubbing her hands over his nose and down the length of it with adoration and affection.

While Na'vi recovered from her bout of laughter, Zultana pressed a quick kiss to the tip of Chinolth's nose, gave his jaw a gentle pat, and then pulled away to start leading them along. Of course, Chinolth's advice prompted bell-bright laughter from the woman and she winked at him, adding: "I will do my best to heed your advice, wise blue!"

She did stop again when Na'vi did, the blue's further commentary met with a slight lifting of brows in initial confusion, only for matters to be cleared up when Na'vi explained:

"Baby is his gemlizard, we had to leave him at the Weyr while we hunted."

"Oh. Oh! I see, I think. Dragons can Impress firelizards and their brethren as well?" The idea was intriguing, one that she would greedily delve into out of sheer curiosity, but that would be later, once they were well out of range of the caravan. Instead: "There are some lovely spiced scents that we have; very masculine, but not overwhelming. I prefer them sometimes, honestly."

~*~

Note
Ember

Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:22 am

"Oh, that would be delightful then." And she thought of something, something that made her flush, but Na'vi didn't think it mattered much since she was in the company of a near stranger, someone she was only on first name basis with. She smiled and glanced down at her fingers before looking over her shoulder, as though he might appear somehow.

It was a silly notion really, that someone she liked would suddenly show up just because he was being spoken of. But she had seen worse things in her life, and there was no telling what might occur out here in the wilds of Pern. "Perhaps you might have something that might be suitable for a man as well? A bronzerider to be exact?" She turned back to the dancer, a bright expression on her face, at least she thought it might be one; she didn't take the flush on her cheeks into account really.

Oooh, Roth's rider would like to smell handsome too I would bet! Na'vi was on fire by then, and covered her face with her hands. Chinolth clearly didn't understand what he'd done wrong, and instead turned his voice to Zultana. Roth's rider is a very nice man. He brought me cake one time, but I let Baby have it.

— Ray Bradbury —