Butting Heads - Ember | Rath

The Crafter Complex is a series of buildings that contain craft halls and rooms for the crafters of New Atricis to work. There is a single dorm building for apprentices, while journeyman and masters live in second floor rooms in their respective crafts. Off to the side from the complex is the largest building, the Infirmary, where everyone in the Weyr receives Healer attention and desk workers keep track of who comes and goes at the entrance to the Infirmary.
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:53 pm

Season - Early Summer
Time - Late Afternoon | Shortly After Drills
Location - Atricis Weyr | Infirmary

Envoy Mul'rec and Brown Dragon Galuth

When word reached Mul'rec that his grandchildren were both admitted to the Weyr Infirmary, he left immediately from Evanoria to see them. Over the next few days, the children battled an ailment that left them bedridden with their parents closely at their side. But it was not just Rhianez and Hesiden who suffered, but little Alyss as well, who had her father, A'rosius hemmed at her side. Never did the bluerider leave his daughters side, not until it was clear she and Mul'rec's grandchildren had begun to make a recovery.

A'rosius spent what time he could Alyss, Rhianez and Hesiden. Once Mul'rec arrived, A'rosius was given a moment of reprieve to gather a meal for himself before returning to the Infirmary.

During A'rosius's absence, Mul'rec sung songs to all three children, doting on them in a way he had never truly done with his own. He cherished the moment with the children, who regarded him with glazed eyes and waning interest. They were tired, and thus he sung them a lullaby until they all succumb to repose. When A'rosius returned, he found Mul'rec sitting by Rhianez's side with Hesiden and Alyss not far from him.

The bluerider seemed to know better than to speak, though he gave a nod to Mul'rec in thanks and claimed the seat the taller man had vacated for him.

"Where is Inez?" he asked A'rosius in a hushed voice, so as not to disturb the children.

"She had paperwork to finish, I am afraid. She'll be here within the candlemark."

Mul'rec nodded in turn. "I'll be back in that case then."

With an acknowledgement of Mul'rec, A'rosius nodded to the man in dismissal and returned his attention to the children.

Diligent as ever, Mul'rec mused to himself. After regarding the man a moment longer, perhaps several breaths longer than he should have, the brownrider collected his firelizard and departed with plans of grabbing a bite and a drink in the dining hall, for he knew he would be a while longer yet in the Weyr. As he left, however, he noted the condition of his hands, and noticed some ink had lingered along his nails. Preferring cleanliness before dinner, the brownrider stepped around the ward, and found a clean water basin to scrub his hands in. He pulled the soap sand and scrubbed at his nails, cleaning away not only the ink, but the sickness he had so recently encountered. All the while he was unaware he was being watched by an unseen other.

The gold firelizard at his shoulder, however, was far more perceptive of those set of eyes that lingered on them. An image slipped into the brownrider's mind from his trusted Sabren, and with ease he recognised the face as one Master Rathiran. Brass brown eyes looked up to regard the man, curious as to whether or not he would properly greet him. He even offered the man a smirk, daring him to approach.

After the feast over a turn ago, he doubted the man approved of his presence.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:45 pm

He was finding it was far easier than he'd originally anticipated to keep his promise to Sid. Holding back from thoughts of want wasn't as difficult as once thought, and Rath was finding it wasn't all that painful to work with the bluerider on a professional level like he would have considered it to be once upon a time. It was all about respect, and while his feelings were still there, and likely would be until he knew one way or another whether he needed to kill them for good or not, they didn't get in the way of treating him as simply a friend and colleague.

But there was one thing that did bother him on some level, and that was a particular brownrider. He had known what the man had done to Sid, had been told it from the bluerider's own mouth. So to see him glance in his direction on this night sent a wave of animosity through Rath the likes of which he hadn't felt since the hatching, and that had been going on a Turn ago now. He tried his best to ignore the man's presence, but for the sake of remaining the bigger of the two, and perhaps congenial in nature, he bowed his head and in greeting as he washed his own hands in another basin. "Brownrider. Good day to you."
Shaihulud

Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:26 am

As the master healer approached, Sabren's head bobbed back in turn, agitated by the man and his proximity to Mul'rec.

Now why would the little dual toned gold do such a thing as that? While Mul'rec suspected the man was not exactly thrilled by his presence, he doubted Rathiran carried enough animosity for the brownrider to garner himself with Sabren's distrust.

"Brownrider. Good day to you."

Bronze eyes regarded the man curiously. Brownrider? Why so formal? "Master Healer," replied the brownrider out of formality... and yet there was something else to drive the response. He could have left the moment he rinsed off and towelled his hands. Instead, he set the towel aside, picked a clean one, and offered it to the healer. "I would pass off your approach as coincidence, but we both know coincidence has nothing to do with it." There were plenty of other basins, but Rathiran chose this one so near to Mul'rec's own. "Besides, I never believed in coincidence." It was a lie people told themselves when they did not wish to believe the obvious.
Ember

Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:15 am

It wasn't a coincidence, not exactly. But Rath wouldn't say he'd purposefully set out to hunt the brownrider down. Yet here he was, next to Mul'rec of all people, and it was clear to them both that he had no warm feelings towards the other man.

Rath remained quiet as he washed his hands, and perhaps he took his time about it so he didn't have to respond to the other man. The ball was in his court now after all, and he could do with that time how he very well pleased.

When he finally felt like his hands were clean enough - and really, he was a healer, and cleanliness in his line of work could never be understated - he rinsed them off almost as slowly before reaching for a cloth to dry them off with.

"You know," he started, each individual finger receiving an equal amount of attention. "I've always wondered something about you, and why exactly you chose to come back to Atricis if you're going to be such an asshole to everyone here. Maybe I don't see everything that you go through every day, but in my experience with you so far, the only people I've encountered the same as you are those you've managed to hurt in some manner."

And while Mul'rec might think otherwise, there was only one thing that Rath was thinking of as he made that statement - Sid. Nothing and no one else was passing through his mind at the moment. It was up to the brownrider to make his mind up to the contrary or not.
Shaihulud

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:19 pm

One could cut the air of animosity between them with a butter knife. Whether or not it was intended mattered little to Mul'rec, for it amused the brownrider all the same. Honestly, there was no reason for such disdain, and yet Mul'rec understood the cause nonetheless.

"You know. I've always wondered something about you, and why exactly you chose to come back to Atricis if you're going to be such an asshole to everyone here. Maybe I don't see everything that you go through every day, but in my experience with you so far, the only people I've encountered the same as you are those you've managed to hurt in some manner."

"I take it by 'those people', you mean Bluerider Sid'nis," Mul'rec answered with a demeanour and tone better characterised as nonchalant rather than hostile. However, the statement of fact was meant to point out the fallacy in the healer's sweeping statement. His hands dried, the brownrider could have walked away, but instead, he decided to keep the healer's company, if only because he found it somewhat entertaining. "I returned to Atricis for my family. If you are upset that Sid'nis is hurt, then perhaps you can do something productive to cheer the man up. Besides, he seemed quite receptive of your former advances-" though he did not clarify his statement, he meant the hatching, yet... he did not clarify for a reason "- Unless age is finally getting better of you, I don't see why you can't renew such pursuits."

It mattered little to the brownrider that the healer was a solid hand span taller than himself or equally as muscular. For all Mul'rec sounded dismissive, there was certainly an edge of provocation to his intentions that accompanied the laughter in his brassy eyes.
Ember

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:08 am

"- Unless age is finally getting better of you, I don't see why you can't renew such pursuits."

Rath stood there for a moment, trying to judge the other man, and came to the conclusion that he was trying to be the "bigger" of the two, in at least words. He nodded at that, looked around as he tossed his cloth in the bin, and decided it simply wasn't going to work. "Whatever your current game to upset me is, it won't do the trick. Believe it or not, I give him the respect you clearly do not, have not, and never will."

He grasped his hips, and when he did so, it was harder than he intended, mostly because he would have done something that would have turned ugly otherwise. He wasn't going to strike at the man, but he might have said more than he already had. "For your information, I'm a grown up, brownrider. I'm not a child trying to pretend to be a man." But clearly he couldn't get the memo to his head not to continue speaking, or else he might not have said more than that.
Shaihulud

Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:29 pm

"Whatever your current game to upset me is, it won't do the trick. Believe it or not, I give him the respect you clearly do not, have not, and never will."

Mul'rec chuckled, though the very sound of it was far from friendly. What a foolish man. "And what? You believe I don't respect Sid'nis because I failed to take advantage of him at the feast?" The bluerider had given him more than an invitation to spend the night and more with him, but Mul'rec declined at the time for a multitude of reasons. "I am not in the habit of sleeping with friends when I know full well it will hurt them."

"For your information, I'm a grown up, brownrider. I'm not a child trying to pretend to be a man."

To that, Mul'rec did not entirely believe him. If Rathiran needed to say it, thus confirming the truth of it, then perhaps he did not entirely believe it himself. "And yet here you are, speaking to me like a jealous teenage lover, telling me how little I deserve the man you clearly love... all because you perceive my rejection of his misplaced affections as 'disrespectful'." His voice cool, Mul'rec gave little away in his countenance and posture.
Ember

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:08 pm

"I am not in the habit of sleeping with friends when I know full well it will hurt them."

That's not what he'd heard, what he'd been told, and for a moment his mind was lurching with what to do and say next. There was no way to back out of this situation, and he certainly had no intention to do so, even if he was screaming at himself to pull away before he acted in a way that was as child like as the way he was accusing the brownrider of acting. Yet when it came down to it, all he could grind out of his teeth was, "You hurt him whether you sleep with him or not." Because that's what Rath knew, that's what he'd heard, and that's what he'd been around.

"And yet here you are, speaking to me like a jealous teenage lover, telling me how little I deserve the man you clearly love... all because you perceive my rejection of his misplaced affections as 'disrespectful'."

"Don't pretend to know how I feel about someone." He had allowed himself to feel that way once, it was over with, he was done. So he told himself. It didn't matter that his chest ached even now at the thought, and it likely would for Faranth knew how long, but he had no control over that. He wasn't going to let that show on his face. "You didn't comfort him, you didn't see how it hurt him. If you had to reject him to "keep from hurting him", you could have done it in a way that didn't hurt so much. You didn't have to be a fucking heartless bastard about it. But that's just part of your nature, isn't it?"
Shaihulud

Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:05 pm

"Don't pretend to know how I feel about someone."

Despite the amusement he gained from Rathiran's telling response, the brownrider managed to remain neutral in expression. However, Mul'rec had seen enough at the feast that night to know he was right, even if Rathiran was quick to deny it.

"You didn't comfort him, you didn't see how it hurt him. If you had to reject him to "keep from hurting him", you could have done it in a way that didn't hurt so much. You didn't have to be a fucking heartless bastard about it. But that's just part of your nature, isn't it?"

"On the contrary, I did, but when he asked for what I could not give him, I told him 'no'. I am not at all surprised he did not take well to the rejection. No one ever takes rejection well, no matter how much one lessens the blow." Perhaps Mul'rec could have been kinder, but Sid'nis had approached him in a way he had considered distasteful, and far from the actions of the bluerider he once knew. And then there was the lingering matter of his family at the time. He had suffered greatly in the days leading up to his family's transfer to Atricis. Enide was a ghost of her former self, and his daughter left to ruin because of Cador's hostility. And then there was A'rosius, and the sense of gratitude he felt towards the man. Sleeping with his ex-weyrmate hardly seemed tasteful to the brownrider. "As for my reasons, I feel no need to explain them to you, but would hope they are respected nonetheless, especially in a weyr that values such thing as agency and consent, especially in regards to sexual matters. You are hardly doing Sid'nis any favours by trying to shame me for my choice. I doubt even he would approve."
Ember

Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:46 am

"As for my reasons, I feel no need to explain them to you, but would hope they are respected nonetheless, especially in a weyr that values such thing as agency and consent, especially in regards to sexual matters. You are hardly doing Sid'nis any favours by trying to shame me for my choice. I doubt even he would approve."

They could be respected, would be respected, if they were only somehow explained in a way that could help Rath understand why the man behaved the way that he did. As it stood, he couldn't understand why the brownrider was treating someone he cared for - friend or otherwise - the way that he did. Maybe it wasn't his business, he surmised. Maybe it was something he needed to confront Sid about. Perhaps he should just let it drop and move on completely, something he'd never considered doing before. It wasn't the easiest of things to consider, but maybe... maybe it was time to take it into more consideration.

Regardless, this conversation was exhausting him, and it didn't help that there was too much to think about now, too much for him to consider that was only working him up as he tried to mull it over while stood in front of the man. "I think it would be best if you and I kept any interactions between ourselves on a professional basis." Meaning if Mul'rec ever came to the infirmary with his dragon or pets, of course Rath would tend to the dragonkin - he wasn't that petty to turn a beast in need away just because of how he felt about their rider/human. "Otherwise, I think it would be best if you and I kept a distance from one another. I hope you understand why I say that right now."