Making Camp and Merriment | {OPEN}

The lands around New Atricis that are regarded as Atricis' new territory. Not as big as their previous protective range, but still lots of space and wilds to explore. Dragon Flights and Wher Runs also occur across these lands.
lucidmaus
Pronouns: She/Her

Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:29 pm

"You're going to love it. I mean... I know I'm biased, but I think it is the best place on Pern. There's no other place like it. Literally. The northern weyrs are all well and good, but Atricis is unique. Just in dragon hide alone, we're different. We have colors the north never even thought about."

"So we have heard! And of the other creatures, too, though we know little of them. The Northerners do not seem to care much for change," Brother Yurden mused. "So, what we have learned of the South has been what we have had the opportunity to experience."

"Ha! Is this a bread plate? That is genius and this all looks so amazing. This is beyond delicious."

"Easier for us to eat on plates of bread," Brother Yurden laughed. "Much easier than hauling plates and bowls everywhere! For as many potholes as Father Marden leads us through, they would all be broken by now!"

"You know, I don't think I've ever had yogurt. Let's try that one."

"A fine choice!" The drink was spilled out into a thoroughly washed, ceramic mug. The liquid itself was a creamy pink hue, but visibly bubbly and effervescent. A little thicker than milk, with a faint tanginess, but the fruity flavor - some mixture of blueberries and raspberries - was enough to blunt the edge of the tingle. It was pleasantly sweet, but not overly so, and refreshingly cool.

Both skins were taken away and Brother Yurden returned with a smaller fish taco-sandwich of his own. While the dancers continued in their well-trained gyres, he fell silent to watch. He chuckled when Cas spoke, offering a quick nod. "Ah, they have spent turns perfecting it - and they are always refining it. Sometimes it is the bronze that catches, sometimes the brown. But we have added the other colors, as we understand them, to make it fit here."

The dancers twisted and twirled, with Zultana leading the way. Soon enough, she slipped off to a side, twirling and spinning in place, while the blue-ribboned dancer took center stage. She leapt and twisted, twirled and contorted. Her dance was a thing of pure, raw energy, acrobatic and wild - and it was no surprise, then, that she was dismissed with a flick of golden ribbons.

Brilliant, yes! But that blue simply wouldn't have the staying power!

The pewter was next, taking a more sedate series of movements. Slow and sensual, sinuous and sleek. She twisted ever closer to Zultana, but was eventually cast away with a gentle swat of the ribbon-wand to her forehead. Lamentation and woe! But what was she expecting, taking her time like that? Silly pewter!

The brown glided up next, but tried too hard - it was a comic relief bit, it seemed, with many elaborate moves attempted and failed, but failed in ways so spectacularly twisted that there was no way it was anything but deliberate. Still, the brown was not outright dismissed as blue and pewter were, and the young woman was allowed to continue trying to the side, while the bronze stepped up.

She was one of the taller, stronger girls - perhaps not originally a dancer, but that's what she was now. Her moves were distinctly masculine and powerful, striking and quick in some places, but slow and deliberate in others. She kept just out of Zultana's dismissal range, but kept things just interesting enough to stay within the pretend-gold's good graces.

And while bronze and brown continued in their displays, Zultana turned toward the audience, composed as it was of the caravaners and, of course, the lone visitor in their midst. She lifted her hands, gold ribbons fluttering, in a gesture that was swiftly interpreted by Brother Yurden:

"Ah! Yes, this is done sometimes. Guest, you may choose! Bronze or brown?"
Image Image Image Image Image Image

D'mah o | o Pahaliah o | o Zultana
Aglaia o | o Zoraida o | o Lulajeta

~*~
|:- Character Tracker -:|:- Marks Tracker -:|:- Plotter -:|
|:- Candidate Q'nairre -:|

Note
|:- Tag freely - no permission needed! -:|
|:- I'm open to any and all threads! -:|
Parker
Site Admin
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:35 am

"So we have heard! And of the other creatures, too, though we know little of them. The Northerners do not seem to care much for change. So, what we have learned of the South has been what we have had the opportunity to experience."

Cas gave a crinkled chuckle. "Yes, we do seem to have quite a few more larger creatures than the north does. Then again, most things in the south are larger than that in the north. Yes, there are some lush areas, but so much of it is barren." The shore lines were lush. Ruatha was beautiful, but then there was places like Telgar and High Reaches that were more barren.

"Hm. Yeah, that does make a lot of sense. I suppose I never really thought about little things that I take for granted, like plates. However, I think I much prefer this bread plate. It is delicious and no clean up." At least there wouldn't be clean up for Cas. He was a healthy eater, though somehow Talen could always put away more than himself. It was honestly amazing to simply watch that man eat. It was like he was always starving.

The brownrider took a sip of the yogurt drink. It was refreshing and cool and the tangy flavor worked well with the sweet berries. "That's very good. Thank you." He stated before taking another bite of food. There would be no doubting that the brownrider was thoroughly pleased with the hospitality so far.

C'sian watched with wonder at the dancers and the way they were able to contort and flip the ribbons in such delicate ways. "It's very beautiful and that is very considerate to add the other colors." One by ones the 'dragons' had their dance of flight, each different and unique.

"Ah! Yes, this is done sometimes. Guest, you may choose! Bronze or brown?"

He had to quickly take a drink to wash the bite out of his mouth before speaking. "Brown of course!" He answered quickly to which Gastoneth added his bugle of approval.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
F'lin | Zaynallen | C'sian | Sid'nis | Ao'mek | Lorcan | So'cles | Locke
Najden | Darrow | Kisle'vis | Car'vis | Ferghas | Corbin | Calivander | Epiphany

.::..::..::..::..::..
lucidmaus

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:51 pm

"Yes, we do seem to have quite a few more larger creatures than the north does. Then again, most things in the south are larger than that in the north. Yes, there are some lush areas, but so much of it is barren."

Brother Yurden laughed low in his throat and nodded. "Ah, barren only if you don't know quite what you're looking for, I think. Dead places are still very much alive to the right eyes." He was silent for a moment, but added, "I have a feeling that Zultana will want to see all of the creatures this place has to offer. She finds her inspiration in their movement."

As was plainly on display with her dragon-inspired "flight". The bronze and brown continued in their motions, their dances slowly transforming into a combative thing; a struggle for dominance where neither seemed yet ready to yield.

Cas's praise of the food earned him a deep ducking of Yurden's head and the man said, "I will pass your praises to the cooks. And to the dancers, as well," he added, as mention of the other colors was made. "It was at her insistence," but there was no mistaking which one he spoke of.

The dance came to that final point, where bronze and brown struggled for which would gain the full attention of the gold that danced around them, just out of reach.

"Brown of course!"

Brother Yurden smiled broadly and whistled sharply - and it was either in the mode of the whistle or the particular pitch, but it was enough.

Zultana inclined her head and used her beribboned wand to banish the bronze from her sight, only to be swept up in the arms of her brown suitor. All of the other ribbon-bearing dancers rose, whirling around the pair as they embraced-

And then it ended with a thunderous boom of drums and a crash of cymbals.

The other dancers dipped into a series of bows, only to drop to a kneel and allow the remaining two dancers to take their bows as well. The music started again, but it was a low, background type of thing; a soft, simmering melody that served as a cue for the dancers to depart.

Zultana, for her part, planted a kiss on the other girl's cheek, then sent her off - with her ribbon wands - to join the others. She was sweaty but radiant, absolutely glowing with happiness; she was exhausted - and it was worth it.

"I hope you both enjoyed it!" Zultana called as she jogged in Cas's direction. "It is a rare day that she gets to win the flight, the poor thing!"

~*~

Note
Parker
Site Admin

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:06 pm

"Ah, barren only if you don't know quite what you're looking for, I think. Dead places are still very much alive to the right eyes. I have a feeling that Zultana will want to see all of the creatures this place has to offer. She finds her inspiration in their movement."

Cas gave a nod of his head in agreement. "That is true. I will admit, though I grew up in the north I have not seen much of it for myself. Once I moved down south I was content to stay down here. Before even impressing to that amazing beast I knew I'd never leave the south again." He had found love, real love, in New Atricis. He doubted anyone would leave after finding something like that.

"I will pass your praises to the cooks. And to the dancers, as well," he added, as mention of the other colors was made. "It was at her insistence,"

"All of it has simply been absolutely stunning. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the weyr is going to absolutely love having you all with us and I hope you stay with us for awhile." Cas stated and there was no mistaking the genuine honesty in his voice.

Cas then watched intently as the dance reached its final crescendo as the gold made her choice and sent the bronze dragon away, only then to dance with her brown mate. He had seen mating flights, participated in them of course, and he thought this dance rivaled in their beauty. It was most certainly the most beautiful interpretation of mating flights that he'd ever seen. Possibly one of the only ones. Cas cheered and clapped for the performance and brought two fingers up to his lips to give a shrill whistle.

"I hope you both enjoyed it!" Zultana called as she jogged in Cas's direction. "It is a rare day that she gets to win the flight, the poor thing!"

"How could I not pick brown? They are the far superior beast." It was iconic rider bias for their dragon, but that was to be expected. "That was absolutely marvelous. Thank you so much for allowing me a chance to be privvy to it before you head to New Atricis."
Najden | Darrow | Kisle'vis | Car'vis | Ferghas | Corbin | Calivander | Epiphany

lucidmaus

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:03 am

"All of it has simply been absolutely stunning. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the weyr is going to absolutely love having you all with us and I hope you stay with us for awhile."

"Only until the end of summer, Rukbat willing," Brother Yurden replied. "Then we go North to chase the spring again. Father Marden prefers to avoid the fouler seasons as best as possible."

Cas was, fortunately, not alone in his excitement and applause and whistling; many of the others of the caravan joined in with great enthusiasm. They might have seen the dance a hundred times before but, every time, it was a marvel to behold.

Brother Yurden abruptly dipped into another bow and added, "We're pleased beyond mere words that you enjoyed it, kind visitor! If you will excuse me, I need to pass on the praises - to cooks, to dancers, and to Father as well. Rukbat shine on you and yours, to light your way and ever keep you warm!" He winked, smiled, and was gone in a flash, with Zultana arriving just in time to take his place and to remark on the fortune of the brown dragon-dancer.

"How could I not pick brown? They are the far superior beast." It was iconic rider bias for their dragon, but that was to be expected. "That was absolutely marvelous. Thank you so much for allowing me a chance to be privvy to it before you head to New Atricis."

"They truly are!" Zultana's laughter was as bright as ever and she bounced on her feet a bit, hands clapping together once. "It was our pleasure beyond pleasures to perform for you, Cas - and Gastoneth! Thank you!" A quick bow followed, chased with a flourish. When she straightened, she lifted her hands to try to pat and smooth back the stray strands of her hair.

"And, I see, Brother Yurden saw to your hunger and thirst. Good, good! I fear that we have little else to offer right now; the firelizards are too agitated for a show, I hear, and everyone else is resting after a long day." Zultana's smile, typically unwavering, began to falter at the prospect of not being able to fully entertain their fine and gracious guest. She quickly brightened again: "We should be better able to entertain soon enough, though!"

~*~

Note
Parker
Site Admin

Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:46 pm

"Only until the end of summer, Rukbat willing," Brother Yurden replied. "Then we go North to chase the spring again. Father Marden prefers to avoid the fouler seasons as best as possible."

Cas was a bit saddened to know they would only be staying until the end of summer, but some time was better than no time. "Well, I hope that your stay with us, no matter how long it is. I can understand wanting to stay with the nicer weather. Winters here in the south are very wet and miserable." Sometimes he missed his seaside home, but he loved Atricis.

"We're pleased beyond mere words that you enjoyed it, kind visitor! If you will excuse me, I need to pass on the praises - to cooks, to dancers, and to Father as well. Rukbat shine on you and yours, to light your way and ever keep you warm!"

Another wide and crinkled smile and the brownrider gave a deep bow of respect to the man. "Please, make sure they know my praise is profusely given. This is some of the most fun I have had in a while." Not to imply that his life had been sad, but it wasn't everyday he got to enjoy free, delicious food and such a wonderful show. "You as well, Brother Yurden."]

"And, I see, Brother Yurden saw to your hunger and thirst. Good, good! I fear that we have little else to offer right now; the firelizards are too agitated for a show, I hear, and everyone else is resting after a long day. We should be better able to entertain soon enough, though!"

"That he did, quite magnificently. The food was delicious and the drink was refreshing." Bright blue eyes gave her a small wide-eyed stare, "My dear girl, you have offered more than plenty! I assure you. Both of us are very pleased and happy we made the decision to land here and see what you all were about. Please, consider me and Gastoneth entertained." He stated confidently.

lucidmaus

Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:49 pm

Brother Yurden heard the brownrider's words as he moved away and acknowledged them with a flashed smile and dip of his head. As he moved toward the camp proper, he issued a curt series of whistles, which in turn drew the attention of some people - but not others.

Where he went, conversation followed, and plenty of heads turned to the brown and his rider, with waves or smiles or wiggling fingers offered in mute gratitude for the praises that were being distributed.

"That he did, quite magnificently. The food was delicious and the drink was refreshing." Bright blue eyes gave her a small wide-eyed stare, "My dear girl, you have offered more than plenty! I assure you. Both of us are very pleased and happy we made the decision to land here and see what you all were about. Please, consider me and Gastoneth entertained."

Zultana tilted her head at the sound of the whistles, lips curved into a satisfied smile, a smile that widened further as Cas spoke. "He is more than happy to bear your praises to their ears, it sounds like! Brother Yurden is a wonderful host and you were an even more wonderful guest. Your pleasure is ours!" She bounced on the balls of her feet and clapped, a familiar gesture of delight. "And if you and yours are any indication, then we will be even happier to perform for your people here."

She motioned back, toward the wagons in their loose arrangement, where the smattering of people could be seen milling about or performing duties. "If time is not too pressing, I could offer a tour - though there really isn't much to see with everything shuttered up. Or if you have questions, I could answer them!"

The offers were made in earnest, but with a trace of hesitance; though the visiting pair had time to spare for a performance, the dancer was reluctant to press for too much of their free time. It was a point of respect in that sense; dragonriders had important duties, after all, and their time was precious!

~*~

Note
Parker
Site Admin

Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:45 pm

"He is more than happy to bear your praises to their ears, it sounds like! Brother Yurden is a wonderful host and you were an even more wonderful guest. Your pleasure is ours! And if you and yours are any indication, then we will be even happier to perform for your people here."

"That he is. I will attest to that. He is an amazing host, but then you all are." Cas agreed, simply beside himself with happiness and glee. At her kind words, he placed a hand over his heart and gave a polite bow. "I hope we have been a good first impression of what New Atricis has to offer in terms of the people there. We're a hard working and hard playing group, so I think you all will fit right in." He stated confidently.

"If time is not too pressing, I could offer a tour - though there really isn't much to see with everything shuttered up. Or if you have questions, I could answer them!"

"Oh no, our sweeps were done for the day. We were merely taking our time getting back to the weyr." He leaned in a little to whisper as if in secret, "Truthfully, we were taking our time lest our Wingleader had some other chore to give to us. Lazy, I know, but the truth nonetheless." Cas wanted to get back without time to do anything else, that way he could pick the twins up from the creche and spend some time with them. They were growing so fast he didn't want to miss out too much on this time of their lives.

"I would love a tour, actually. I've not had the pleasure of touring many a caravan, though I've had the pleasure of shopping at several." Cas explained. "Oh, here's a question for you. Where does your caravan originally hale from."

lucidmaus

Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:42 am

"I hope we have been a good first impression of what New Atricis has to offer in terms of the people there. We're a hard working and hard playing group, so I think you all will fit right in."

"Ah! You two certainly have! And, by the sounds of it, we'll have a fine time, indeed." Zultana bounced on the balls of her feet and clapped once more, her excitement getting the better of her. It couldn't be helped! Even if she was still a touch tired from her performance, the dancer was naturally always "on".

"Oh no, our sweeps were done for the day. We were merely taking our time getting back to the weyr." He leaned in a little to whisper as if in secret, "Truthfully, we were taking our time lest our Wingleader had some other chore to give to us. Lazy, I know, but the truth nonetheless."

The dancer's delight turned to utter amusement and she laughed, her hands fluttering up to contain the sound to some degree.

"I would love a tour, actually. I've not had the pleasure of touring many a caravan, though I've had the pleasure of shopping at several." Cas explained. "Oh, here's a question for you. Where does your caravan originally hale from."

"Worry not, rider! We will find plenty to occupy your time, in that case! Come, come!"

As she ventured along, she motioned to the wagons. Cas's question of where they originated gave her a moment's consideration.

"The story goes that seven trade families from Igen gathered together during a truly cruel sandstorm," she explained. "Father Marden tells the tale much better! But, each family had their strengths and, together, they weathered the storm and formed a pact to travel together. So, Igen, I suppose, is where they started, but the caravan has since gathered and lost members from all over."

"Here, this wagon is where most of the dancers sleep and prepare. Myself and Sister Aurla stay with Father Marden and Mama Yulissa and the others at the wagon further ahead."

The nearest wagon was once brightly painted, though a turn of hard travel through poor weather and shifting climates had done much to make the painting faded and worn. Portraits of the dancers were artfully arranged, with other images - of props and costumes - scattered freely throughout.

The further wagon, the one which housed the Caravan's leader and his family, was also adorned with the faces of those that dwelled within. For the presumed Father Marden, there was a whip to one side and a ribbon wand on the other; an older woman's face was surrounded by strange cards, tokens, and herbs. Brother Yurden was painted there, too, along with another man, two other women, and Zultana, as well.

That left two other wagons, one marked boldly with costumes and fabrics and all manner of other items - as well as the faces of those that dwelled there. Two looked alike - two men, to be precise - with another man and a woman apparently sharing that limited space. The last wagon was similarly marked with faces - several dancers, a faire of firelizards, a man, and two other women as well. Quite a packed arrangement, to be sure! And, yet, somehow, it all seemed to work.

~*~

Note
Parker
Site Admin

Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:26 am

"Ah! You two certainly have! And, by the sounds of it, we'll have a fine time, indeed."

"Good. Good. I'm glad." Cas was a brownrider and there had been many times that his magnificent beast had chased Soquilith, the senior gold. He'd yet to catch her since Safryn took over leadership of the weyr, but it was a good possibility that one day he would succeed and that would make him the Weyrleader. He'd been a rider for a while and met the requirements of taking on more responsibilities as a Wingsecond or Winglead, but so far he was content to remain a wingrider. However, knowing that he could possible be thrust into a position of leadership he made sure that he was always courteous when acting as a liaison to the weyr.

"Worry not, rider! We will find plenty to occupy your time, in that case! Come, come!"

Cas smiled and gave her a polite bow before he followed after her and listened to what she had to say about their caravan. "That's great that your caravans came together that way." Working together in jolly cooperation was the approach everyone should take, but sadly not everyone did.

His deep blue eyes drank in the sights of the wagons as she showed them off to him. "The portraits are stunning. Whoever did them did a wonderful job. And all the colors! They're great, just great. The costumes all look so fabulous. It certainly seems as if you guys are prepared for all sorts of shows and plays." The brownrider complimented her. "Thank you so much for giving me a tour of your home." It seemed a bit crowded, but they didn't seem to mind in the least which spoke well for how they got along together.