All Stewed Up { tag } Lucidmaus / Pahaliah

Despite being new, this dining hall is very similar to the one back at old Atricis, giving a familiarity to the new Weyr. It is one large, central cavern carved out from the side of the cliff with many tables of varying sizes and seat numbers. The kitchens are attached, and there is a set of stairs leading down into the lower caverns.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:18 pm

She'd been tasked with the stew, and if she had to say so herself, it was going to be a marvelous stew indeed. One of the best she had ever made, one of the best to ever be served to the people of the Weyr. She'd lovingly butchered the meat, rolled the cubes in flour by hand, and dutifully browned the pieces before broiling them in one of the stone ovens. Granted, she'd been accused of taking her time with it, time that had been seen as wasted, but upon tasting the broth and seeing the process, the Headwoman had actually praised her, though suggested next time she maybe reconsider.

She had wanted to snap, Vex had, because great dishes did not just get rushed like this. You took your time with them, you put your heart and your soul into them. But she knew better than to get on the woman's bad side, not when she was waiting for her newest Assistant to be brought in. Fucker couldn't get here fast enough as far as Vex was concerned, while everyone else seemed to think a little patience was what was needed on the matter. But Vex, no... Vex saw what was really happening - the Headwoman was nervous and rattled without the extra set of hands, and why wouldn't she be?

But what did she know, she was just some cook who "took too long doing what she was in the kitchens for". She snorted as she leaned against the wall of the lower caverns, staring into the night sky, wondering if she could stay there for just a moment longer or if they'd come drag her back inside for taking too long with her break. Deciding not to try her luck or chance shit, she poured out the rest of her klah, which had gone cold, and drug herself back inside.

And there she found the form, hunched over her pots, trying to steal from her stew, stew that she wasn't ready to give to the Weyr yet because she felt it wasn't ready. If it wasn't for her lack of height, she might have gone in there and smacked them upside the head. But as it was, she couldn't even reach that far up with a stool, and she wasn't about to demean herself for something that would have been that satisfying in the end.

Which made her even more angry and upset than it really should have. So instead of being able to smack, she grabbed the back of the tunic, and tugged as hard as she could without ripping, simply holding on tight and finding herself at a loss for words. Why the fuck was she unable to speak over stew of all things? She couldn't figure it out, and when she was finally able to pull her tongue from her throat, the words were hissed through her teeth. "Who gave you the right to come into my kitchens and eat my stew?"

Her kitchens. Her stew. Faranth, the Headwoman wasn't going to be happy with her when she found out about this. Vex might as well stick her head between her legs and kiss her own ass goodbye because her position in the kitchens would be dissolved after this!
lucidmaus
Pronouns: She/Her

Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:52 pm

In truth, it took far less time for Pahaliah to settle in than the Harper had anticipated. Merely a handful of days had passed since arriving and it felt- well, if not like home, then familiar. And that was surely close enough, wasn't it? Familiar?

Having spent several hours working on assorted sketches of Weyrfolk and creatures alike, the Harper finally came around to the startling realization that hunger was, in fact, a thing. Food and drink were often the last things on Pahaliah's mind, leaving the Harper's guts to growl and gurgle as a means of warning. It was a warning that Paha took to heart and heeded quite promptly.

Slinging the art supply-stuffed satchel over a shoulder, the dark-clad Harper - though, by now, suitable clothing had been acquired, if in a limited range of warm darks - ventured into the dining hall. But the offerings there had been out too long, or so the Harper determined. None of it was fresh enough and, besides, how long had those sketches taken? Was it lunch? Dinner? After dinner? Briefly, Pah thought about asking someone.

That thought evaporated as soon as the Harper spied the entry to the kitchens.

A smile pulled at the corners of Pahaliah's mouth. Ah, but of course! It was the same tactic that the artist often used at the Hold - when the food was ill-suited, the kitchens would always have something better. And there were always cooks who were vain enough or easily flustered enough that food could be easily gotten with a promise of art (always fulfilled!) or flattery.

Moments later and Pahaliah was in the kitchens proper, the smell of freshly prepared stew summoning the Harper like some exquisite, olfactory beacon. A bowl and spoon were picked up along the way and, spying no guardian over the pot, the Harper simply dipped in with a ladle and began to pour it into the waiting recepticle.

At least, that was the plan.

Instead, fingers pulled at the back of Pahaliah's loose-fitted, charcoal-hued tunic, and the Harper promptly dropped the ladle into the pot - fortunately, it did not splash, nor did the ladle itself sink to the bottom. The material was soft and smooth, easily bunching under the cook's firm grip. It also served well to force Pahaliah to turn and face the fury that was Vex.

"Who gave you the right to come into my kitchens and eat my stew?" And she was well within her rights to demand as much!

"Right?" That notion, of all of them, was the most baffling. Pahaliah's head lifted slightly, imperious for just a moment before narrow shoulders slumped and the empty bowl was held out to the cook as if to serve as an offering. "No right at all, kind cook," the Harper replied, a sheepish, lopsided smile manifesting. Pah's voice is smooth and silky, cultured and tinged with a hint of the 'Reaches. It's a voice of silk and smoke, positively a purr. "But, in fairness, I did not get a chance to even sample the stew that smells so- ah. Unspeakably divine. My humblest apologies if I am out of line - but it is so dangerously tempting."
~ D'mah - M | 16 | Weyrling to Brown Ingverth @ New Atricis Weyr ~
~ Pahaliah - M* | 21 | J'man Harper @ New Atricis Weyr ~
~ Zultana - F | 23 | Dancer/Holdless ~
~ Aglaia - F | 16 | Dragon Candidate @ New Atricis Weyr ~
~ Zoraida - F | 30 | Journeyman Seacrafter ~
~*~
|:- Character Tracker -:|:- Marks Tracker -:|:- Plotter -:|
Note
|:- Tag freely - no permission needed! -:|
|:- I'm open to any and all threads! -:|
Ember

Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:22 pm

"But, in fairness, I did not get a chance to even sample the stew that smells so- ah. Unspeakably divine. My humblest apologies if I am out of line - but it is so dangerously tempting."

The tone in their voice didn't escape Vex - she knew silk when she encountered it - but it was the actual words that finally settled her enough to loosen her grip on the back of his tunic. At least they had the sense to understand where they had erred, and she found some respect in that. It certainly helped that they had had the good sense to compliment her stew, even before giving it a taste, and for that, she would be kind enough to serve them up some.

Because for all her attitude, never let it be said that she couldn't be kind when it suited her, and this was an instance in which it would - she needed someone to taste it and tell her how it was. She finally let go, and flexed her fingers, shook out her hand, and took a step back, allowing the taller individual the chance to move away from the hot pot. "You're in luck. I'm not going to kick your ass today. Instead, you're going to be my taste tester. I need someone to try the stew out and let me know how it is."

It wasn't meant to be a punishment, at least not to her it wasn't, but it wasn't meant to be a request either. It was a fact in her mind, something that they were going to do because they'd set themselves upon her stew whether intentionally or not. And just to show that she could be a little saucy herself, she dropped the shop talk for a few more personal words as she went to fetch a bowl and spoon. "You must be a harper." She hadn't bothered to look at the knots on their shoulder. "Only a harper would speak with a tongue like yours."
lucidmaus

Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:07 pm

Sweet, blessed freedom! The Harper reached back briefly to adjust the hang of garments, once the cook had released them. But, all attention remained keenly on her; the straightening was done without a conscious thought.

"You're in luck. I'm not going to kick your ass today. Instead, you're going to be my taste tester. I need someone to try the stew out and let me know how it is."

"Ah! Wonderful, as I fear you'd break your foot on my bony backside," Paha replied with a laugh. "Your generosity will not be forgotten," and, while some might infuse such words with sarcasm - there was none there. There was no need, either; the Harper was hungry and the offer of food - even if it was experimental - was plenty satisfaction.

Perhaps more so because it was experimental and the Harper would be the first to lay lips and tongue to it. Consider it a point of pride to be the first to try something; that much would certainly appeal to the peculiar figure that stood before the cook.

"You're a keen one! A Harper, yes, but I'm a better artist than a true Weaver with words," Pahaliah admitted with a tip-tilted sort of a smile. "Though I have picked up a trick or two of the tongue at the Hall." There was a teasing twist to that, one that doubled upon itself with a deepening of the artist's smile. Impish! But it's there and gone in a flash, replaced with a sober expression of utter seriousness:

"Journeyman Harper Pahaliah, at your service - for taste-testing and otherwise, as you like."

Tasting food as punishment? Perish the thought!

The bowl remained out for the cook to fill at her leisure, the Harper prepared to obey any command she provided - whether to sit or stand and eat or aught else she saw fit to dictate. If nothing else, Paha was amiable - or merely amenable.
~*~
Note
Ember

Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:06 am

"Oh la la, scandalous. I might have to get you bread for making me laugh." And laugh she had, especially with that bony backside comment. "Don't worry, your bottom would have been safe. My short legs wouldn't have reached without some work."

She left them with bowl in hand, but reached up to tap their nose as if to tell them not to touch. "I'll be right back." She disappeared, returning a moment later with platter filled with bread, butter, cheese and fruit. "We're going to have a meal. I'm hungry too."

And indeed, she was. She directed them to place their bowl of the platter and nudged her chin forward. "You can grab our drinks, and we're going to find a seat someplace in the dining hall to sit. Hurry, hurry, I know the best to be sat at and its nice and cool. I might be willing to get us dessert too if you continue with those oh so sweet words that make me melt."
lucidmaus

Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:36 am

"Oh la la, scandalous. I might have to get you bread for making me laugh."

"Scandal and salaciousness, my new companion! Nothing but the finest for you, mm?"

"Don't worry, your bottom would have been safe. My short legs wouldn't have reached without some work."

It was Pahaliah's turn to laugh, the Harper's amusement bubbling up with rich, shameless laughter.

The nose-touch momentarily rendered the artist comically cross-eyed, but a smile was quick to return.

"I'll be right back." She disappeared, returning a moment later with platter filled with bread, butter, cheese and fruit. "We're going to have a meal. I'm hungry too."

"As you desire," came the reply and the Harper waited, dutifully, for the wicked cook to return with her veritable buffet of delectable delights. The sight of the cheeses, bread, butter, and fruit was worthy of a trilled whistle from the artist.

The direction to put the bowl down was promptly obeyed, delight writ large on Paha's face.

"You can grab our drinks, and we're going to find a seat someplace in the dining hall to sit. Hurry, hurry, I know the best to be sat at and its nice and cool. I might be willing to get us dessert too if you continue with those oh so sweet words that make me melt."

"Ah! At your service, as promised," Pahali replied quickly. The artist sketched out a bow that ended in a flourish. "A moment or two and I shall return." Assurances made, the Harper ducked out, temporarily seeming to vanish utterly from view.

The Harper lied, of course. It was a full three moments before the Journeyman returned. But, Paha's return was marked with a pair of wine glasses and two skins of wine - one red and one white.

"If it does not please you, Mistress Cook," Pahaliah quickly added, "then I will go seek something else to better suit your tongue."
~*~
Note
Ember

Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:14 am

While technically on duty, and technically she should have been upset, it was wine that looked good, and the artist had somehow managed to pick up what looked to be pretty decent vintages. She wasn't going to argue in that case, and would partake just a pinch, because both would be good with a little bread and cheese, and if she were honest with herself, after suffering for her craft, she kind of deserved the chance to enjoy a bit of wine.

"You keep treating me like this, and you may get somewhere." She set the bowl promptly in front of Pahalia, but determined she would get the glass of wine first. She had to taste one of each to decide what the harper should have with the stew, and in the end, picked the white. "This should go best with what you're having." And she decided on the red for herself to start, though she would go back to the white after a while. "Let me know what you think - on both. The stew and my pairing."

She would be lying if she said she wasn't eager to see what the determination was going to be. This was someone new, so it was even ore of an anticipation to it. Someone that she found herself enjoying the company of which was rare. Ugh, she normally hated people, and this might end up being an exception to her normal rule. She would curse the harper if she wasn't so eager to find out what they thought.
lucidmaus

Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:46 pm

"You keep treating me like this, and you may get somewhere."

"Is that so?" Pahaliah's eyes glittered with wicked amusement. "And just where do you think it will go, mm? Down what dark path are you intent on leading me?" The corners of the artist's mouth curved just so - impishly.

"This should go best with what you're having." And she decided on the red for herself to start, though she would go back to the white after a while. "Let me know what you think - on both. The stew and my pairing."

Properly seated, with a bit of white wine, a bowl of stew, a bevy of breads and cheeses and fruits and butter - why, the Harper very well could be led anywhere that the cook saw fit to lead. And Pahaliah would follow, unquestioning, even without having tasted the stew.

But there it was, the bid to sample and critique, and the Harper settled in to tend that task with a measured sense of enthusiasm, but enthusiasm nonetheless.

A bite of stew, thoroughly chewed and swallowed. A sip of wine. A nip of cheese and a butter-and-bread chaser. The fruit, it would seem, would be left to wait a moment more. Paha's tongue worked around a bit, visibly sliding over teeth - but under lips, else it would be uncouth.

Some teeth-sucking, thoughtful and drawn out.

And the verdict?

"Superb."

The word was positively purred, spun out on a sinfully silky note. "The white holds its own against the boldness of it, though I shall have to try the red with it to be sure. And, ah! A sharper cheese might be a better fit," the Harper conceded after a breath. The impishness returned as Pahali took another sip of wine.

"But I do have a preference for things that bite back."
~*~
Note
Ember

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:52 am

"And just where do you think it will go, mm? Down what dark path are you intent on leading me?"

Oh, the things she could say, do, in response to what the Harper had said. She found her mind a glow with things, and tried so hard not to smirk in response, but in the end, her mouth betrayed her and the thoughts she was holding on to. ”Only the darkest of paths; and the only way you’ll find out just how filled with shadows they are is if you follow.”

"Superb."

She watched the Harper as the stew was consumed, as wine was sipped upon, and she was all but certain of the response she would receive even if nerves frayed and fired at the splayed ends. She waited as patiently as she could until the single word was spoken, and she slapped her hand on the table in utter delight. She’d known it, she tried to tell herself, even if she hadn’t in the slightest.

"The white holds its own against the boldness of it, though I shall have to try the red with it to be sure. And, ah! A sharper cheese might be a better fit,"

She would have to take that into consideration, biting onto the cheese herself and deciding that the Harper was right, even if she wasn’t supping on the stew herself; she had snuck enough tastes of it during the cooking process to have an idea of what they were speaking of to have a understanding of what was being said. ”Then you’ve earned yourself a reward, Harper. Unless the stew is the only thing you wish to taste upon your tongue tonight?”

"But I do have a preference for things that bite back."

Ah, perhaps she’d spoken too soon about rewards. But it was too soon to go back. And yet, she wasn’t quite done with what was on her mind. ”An observant one you are Harper, for the cheese isn’t the only thing that bites at this table.”
lucidmaus

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:41 pm

”Only the darkest of paths; and the only way you’ll find out just how filled with shadows they are is if you follow.”

Those words inspired a dart-flick of tongue, ostensibly to wet the Harper's lips - and then a further impish curving of a smile.

The greater satisfaction for Pahaliah was in that resounding slap upon the table; the artist's smile split wider and self-satisfied, pleased to be pleased - and to please the cook, as well, with nothing short of honesty. It was a simple enough offering for such a complex gift of flavors, but it was honest, true, and spoken from the very bottom of Paha's heart.

While Vex took a bite of cheese, Paha settled on another mouthful of stew, working through it slowly and with purpose. A more thorough review of the tastes seemed to yield the same, exquisite result and a faint sound escaped the artist - a throaty moan that was just this side of being downright lewd.

Pahaliah swallowed just in time; Vex's next words were practically music to the Harper's ears.

”Then you’ve earned yourself a reward, Harper. Unless the stew is the only thing you wish to taste upon your tongue tonight?”

A brief suck of teeth to clean them was followed by an equally quick sip of wine. One eyebrow curved upward, dragging with it a corner of the Harper's mouth.

”An observant one you are Harper, for the cheese isn’t the only thing that bites at this table.”

Ah. And there it was. The bowl of stew was moved aside along with the glass of wine. Paha pushed up from the chair, a slow and sinuous movement that was aided by a steepling of fingers on the table. The Harper curved forward, mindful not to drag clothing through the remaining food on the table. There was plenty of time for the cook to pull away, if she was inclined, but the Harper suspected she would hold her ground.

Expected it, really.

Anticipated it.

And, unless Vex moved, Pahali would end up practically nose to nose, save for a slight tilt of the head that allowed the very real threat of lips touching lips - or of teeth seizing hold of that tender flesh.

"The stew is substantial and I will gladly eat my fill of it," Paha murmured, the Harper's voice dipping lower, into a thickly smoked and sultry tone. "But don't you dare tempt me with a far more succulent treat unless you intend to give it."
~*~
Note