In Search of Advancement - Parker | F'lin

Not the large stone caverns that Weyr people are used to, these are buildings built on the top of the cliff, sometimes referred to as the Weyr Cliff. These buildings are all the same size, with multiple apartments for dragonriders to live in in each building. Because of space constraints, dragons sleep in large pavilions built around the dragonrider apartments.
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:29 pm

Season - Late Spring
Time - Late Afternoon
Location - F'lin's Quarters

Wingrider Inez and Brown Dragon Iorveth

When the position had opened up, Inez eyed it with keen interest. As a woman of discipline who rode the largest brown of Pern, she felt the position of Wingsecond would benefit both herself and the Weyr, especially since Iorveth had turned four so recently. It was only a matter of time before the brown took on the pursuit of the senior queen. Perhaps some might consider her not ambitious enough, for she specifically sought the Wingsecond position rather than the Wingleader, though she would be quick to remind them that she was willing to barter. The availability of both could only benefit her purpose, and one way or another, she was determined to walk out of the Weyrleader's office as a candidate for either position, or even both of them.

On schedule, Inez arrived at the door of the Weyrleader's apartment. Not one to show up uninvited, the brownrider arranged a meeting with her superior, her own wingleader under the intention of discussing the opportunities currently present in the weyr. While she did not specify, she believed she spoke clearly enough to make her intent clear. If not, then Inez would handle F'lin accordingly... which meant speaking to him as plainly as possible, which she had so often done with Weyrleader F'nyh back in Benden. However, Inez knew F'lin was far more clever than the Bendenite buffoon Inez so often dealt with. She actually had faith in the man.

After she straightened her jerkin, and smoothed her hair, she rapped on the door. A step back taken, she awaited F'lin's answer, and all the while she stroked the amethyst hide of the firelizard who clung to her shoulder.

You deserve this, the brown inserted into her thoughts.

I know. Now let us see if F'lin agrees with us.
Parker
Site Admin
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him

Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:56 pm

Fox wasn't sure if others could tell, but he knew that he felt much more at ease in his position as Weyrleader now than he had when Mnenomth had first caught Soquilith. He'd only ever been Wingsecond before being thrust into the main lead position that most bronzeriders coveted. He was not one such bronzerider as he'd always been rather content with simply being a follower and not a leasder. However, it was not a surprise to him that his bronze had finally won a leadership flight. Mnenomth was nothing if not ambitious and believed that the two of them should have become leaders a long time ago.

While he had been a bit scared at first, he felt he was more settled now in the position. It was comforting to finally feel like he knew what he was doing finally. Of course the irony of that was that it wouldn't be much longer before Soquilith would rise again and possibly choose a new mate. That would kick him out of the Weyrleader position and place a new person as such. Fox actually was saddened by that thought. A fact that Mnenomth couldn't help but find amusing since it was Fox that had never actively tried to be a leader of any sort.

There would be one good thing about not being Weyrleader anymore...he'd have more time for his shortstack again. Yes, him and J'on were still doing fine and going strong, but being Weyrleader had certainly cut into their spending time together. However, on the up side, that meant when they did get to be together it was normally rather...steamy and amazing.

A smirk was spread on his lips as he thought about the last time J'on came to see him in his office. Shards that had been...well something... Fox knew those little stolen moments were risky, but that made them even more amazing. The paperwork in front of him was ignored largely for such delightful memories, that is until there was a knock on the door that brought him back to reality.

For a second he couldn't remember what appointment he had right now or if this was someone simply showing up. It is Brownrider Inez coming to speak to you about the wing position. If you'd stop thinking about distracting things you'd remember. His bronze provided for him. Oh right right...thanks. Fox said as he stood up and moved to the door.

"Brownrider Inez, please, come in. Have a seat. Would you care for something to drink?" Fox said politely as he gestured for her to come in.
Image Image Image Image Image
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Car'vis and Corentivis | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

.::..::..::..::..::..
PC Character Tracker | Marks Tracker | NPC Stash
Shaihulud

Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:59 pm

As Inez awaited a response from F'lin, she formulated her thoughts into a cohesive argument to present to the Weyrleader if required. However, it seemed she was give little to polish the argument beyond her practice the previous night with A'rosius and Rhianwen.

"Brownrider Inez, please, come in. Have a seat. Would you care for something to drink?"

"Weyrleader," she nodded respectfully to the homely man. Upon entering into the room, she arrived at the decision to avoid any sort of drink of a fermented nature. During this meeting, the brownrider needed to keep her wits about her. "Do you have any tea?" she asked courteously. "If not, water will suit me just fine." Even as a subordinate, there was no denying the confidence of her speech, the slight air of entitlement. However, Inez would merely point out she knew what she wanted, and had no reason to hide it.

Yet courtesy was minded by the noble woman. She stole no seat without offer, and she minded her words with the Weyrleader, who had never given her any sort of provocation. Though never uncouth enough to speak it out loud, Inez did pity the man, for she suspected F'lin did not entirely live for the challenge of Weyrleader. Propriety prevented Inez from voicing the fact that in all likelihood, F'lin was merely the product of his own dragon's ambitions.
Parker
Site Admin

Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:57 am

"Do you have any tea?" she asked courteously. "If not, water will suit me just fine."

Fox moved over to his desk and pulled out the chair that faced his own for her to have a seat at. A person's desk could tell a lot about a person. Fox's had quite a few things on it, but in all honestly it was organized. Papers were in neat stacks according to what they pertained to, there was no needless clutter, but it was completely clean on top either. Fox hated paperwork, even now, but he was older and more mature than he once use to be and being Weyrleader for the time he had been had taught him some rather useful skills.

"Yes, I do. Give me a moment to put some on." Fox told her as he moved over to a little cabinet where he brought down two tea cups on platters. "I only have a black tea. I hope that is alright." He sat down the cups and the box of tea and then went and got his kettle off of the stove. He filled both of their cups and returned the kettle. "I'm just now getting a taste for tea. I use to never drink it, would only drink klah, but my amazing boyfriend is a tea fanatic, so he's introducing me to some I do like." Fox explained, making friendly small talk as he returned to his desk.

"Alright, I'm sure you'd like to get down to business. What can I help you with?" Fox asked with a lopsided grin, though he was ready to talk shop.
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Car'vis and Corentivis | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

Shaihulud

Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:00 pm

The courteous Weyrleader turned out a chair for her at his desk, his silent offering for the brownrider to seat herself.

Yes, I do. Give me a moment to put some on."

"Thank you, Weyrleader," the brownrider answered formally as she accepted the chair. As a lady defined by good breeding and social grace, to address him in any other way would have been abhorrent to her noble sensibilities. Inez may not entirely enjoy the company of the lesser gender, but she at least taught herself to respect them; she would not have survived Cador as long as she had if she had not.

Gwen ruffled her wings at the thought of the man, and puffed out her chest in warning.

Easy dearest. He is not here.

Wings setted for all the dappled amethyst maintained a threatening air of pride about her.

Thoughts returned to the bronzerider when he spoke on, "I only have a black tea. I hope that is alright."

She answered with a nod of her head, "I do not mind." How could she mind when she had expected such simple tastes from a simple man? Though even she was not cold enough to disregard the fact the bronzerider at least tried to practice etiquette normally assumed by a leader of such a prosperous civilization. She even considered it endearing to see F'lin try so hard. Inez was also not blind to his gentle nature.

Much to her good fortune, F'lin was not like other bronzeriders, let alone men. He lacked the cock one would normally assume when dealing with a bronzerider, especially a Weyrleader. To this, Inez was thankful. A haughty demeanour, while ideal for a thoroughbred, was a detriment to a man. Back in Benden, Inez had endured her fair share of cocks, like F'nyh. Thankfully, she had women like Miral and Peira to alley herself with, women who had also endured the abuses of men, and overcome them.

When Inez received word that Miral had become Weyrleader of Benden, not only did she feel the overwhelming surge of pride claim her for the accomplishment of her former Wingleader, but it also made her realise the likelihood that one day Iorveth might succeed at such an attempt. Already the brown had succeeded in catching a gold back in Telgar, and he also made a previous attempt to fly after the senior queen back in Benden. Now in Atricis, with his eyes locked on Soquilith, Inez knew full well he would dare the chase, and likely prematurely. But this time she would not be caught off guard. If he rose after the Atrican senior queen, she would stop him. This coming flight would be the last time Inez was required to restrain him. After this, Iorveth would be well within his right to chase, and one day he would succeed. It was only a matter of time when considering not only his determination, but the very fact that he was the third largest male of Atricis. For this reason, Inez knew she needed to succeed in her petition to the Weyrleader.

Eyes scanned the decorum, if only to gain a better sense of F'lin and his expectations. What did he disdain? And what did he desire? The clues gathered from his desk proved vital for the woman. Organised, but not immaculate. The neat stacks of hide were organised in such a fashion for a reason, though Inez could not assume the content without rummaging through the slips. She doubted he would approve. Perhaps separate subjects? Or could it simply be a matter of completed and incomplete? If it was the latter, the fact he needed a pile of both would likely serve as a reminder of his accomplishments and the challenge that still laid ahead of him. Such a thing would suggest F'lin was a procrastinator. The bronzerider also came across as a man of a homely nature, preferring a personable approach rather than an aggressive one. Yet, Inez also recognised that she was not to waste his time. This was not the place for idle chitchat nor was she to cajole the man. To do so would patronise him, and F'lin seemed intelligent enough to recognise it as an insult to his character.

"I'm just now getting a taste for tea. I use to never drink it, would only drink klah, but my amazing boyfriend is a tea fanatic, so he's introducing me to some I do like."

She had nodded her head in thanks and allowed herself to enjoy the scent of it. "This smells like it was picked by a man of good taste," she answered with a smirk. But the cup was far to hot to sip from. Instead, she set the cup back down to cool, which also gave the leaves a chance to seep a little longer, if only to strengthen the taste.

"Alright, I'm sure you'd like to get down to business. What can I help you with?"

"I am here in search of promotion," she stated outright. Already, she knew exactly how to articulate her concerns and desires. "As a rider to a massive and ambitious beast, I know it's only a matter of time before Iorveth thrusts me into a leadership role, but I would prefer not to be caught off guard." Though Inez spun her words in a way that she hoped would appeal to F'lin, she dare only speak the truth. "An inexperienced Weyrleader can be a danger to the Weyr, thus I ask for the opportunity to prevent that. However, I am also very aware of the fact that I cannot simply ask such a thing without bringing something to the table as well." This was about strengthening a relationship between rider and weyr. "I may have only been a rider for four turns, but I was a Lady of a Hold before I ever Impressed. I also flew under Weyrleader Miral back in Benden, and she was diligent, if not thorough, with me. I know what it means to organise and to lead, and I know the skills I have would be of value to this Weyr. "

Rather than speak on, she decided to give F'lin a chance to speak up. This would not be a one-sided conversation, but an enriching discussion between two riders, the Weyrleader and the prospect. She did not need to tell him he was in need of a Wingleader, or that there were two vacant Wingsecond positions. There was even a Wing that lacked both, a fighting Wing, which was the Wing that Inez was most interested in. Yet rather than force his hand, she would let F'lin make the choice of where she would properly fit... albeit with a bit of guidance from herself.

A hand reached out to test the tea cup. The porcelain was warm, but not unbearably so, thus she took the cup to hand and enjoyed a small sip that warmed her in a way enough to make her smile for the bronzerider. It may not be her favourite, for it lacked the citrus notes she often preferred in her brew, but she enjoyed it nonetheless.
Parker
Site Admin

Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:41 pm

"This smells like it was picked by a man of good taste,"

A smile of love and pride crossed the bronzerider's face at the compliment to his boyfriend. "Well, you wouldn't be wrong about that. However, the fact he picked me as his boyfriend might be a bit questionable." Fox stated in a teasing, self-mocking way. He still wasn't sure how he had finally managed to win over the opalrider's heart. It had been a fight, that was for sure, but it had been something worth fighting for.

While Inez got down to brass tacs, Fox leaned forward in his chair to show that he was giving her his utmost attention. Fox wasn't really all that surprised that this was what she was wanting to talk to him about. She certainly wasn't the first rider to come to him seeking promotion since he'd become Weyrleader. While it wouldn't be that much longer before Soquilith rose again and perhaps would choose another to be Weyrleader, he wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't the last to come to him about something like this.

"Iorveth is quite the specimen. I can totally understand and appreciate why you'd rather be prepared then caught unawares should he catch Soquilith one turn." Fox stated with a nod. He opened one of his drawers and quickly pulled out a piece of paper. "Inez, you've flown for me ever since I became Weyrleader. I'd like to think I know a little about what you have to bring to the table and honestly, you've always proven to me to be a capable and responsible rider. On that merit alone I would be more than willing to give you a shot at a leadership position." He told her with a warm smile. "Everything else you just mentioned only makes me feel that giving your this opportunity is the right choice." Everyone deserved a chance and since there was no reason whatsoever why he shouldn't give her this chance, then why would he deny her.

"You and Iorveth meet the requirements, so there is no issue there either. That begs the next question. Which position would you like?" Fox asked and laid the piece of paper out on the desk in front of him. "This is a record of wings. Unfortunately, we don't have any openings in our wing." He wouldn't replace anyone as that wouldn't be fair and he didn't have any reason to demote one of them. "Let's see...it looks like there is a wingthird position open in Shooting Star and both the wingsecond and wingleader position open in White Dawn. Do you have a preference on wing?" He asked her.
Image Image Image Image

Shaihulud

Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:09 pm

"Inez, you've flown for me ever since I became Weyrleader. I'd like to think I know a little about what you have to bring to the table and honestly, you've always proven to me to be a capable and responsible rider. On that merit alone I would be more than willing to give you a shot at a leadership position. Everything else you just mentioned only makes me feel that giving your this opportunity is the right choice."

"Thank you." And just like that, he accepted her proposal. However, rather than reveal her elation outright, Inez kept calm with the most neutral of expression she could manage. That much, Inez had come to learn from her father Mul'rec, who possessed a countenance that gave little. Still, the slightest smile showed, faint... inwardly joyful.

"You and Iorveth meet the requirements, so there is no issue there either. That begs the next question. Which position would you like? This is a record of wings. Unfortunately, we don't have any openings in our wing. Let's see...it looks like there is a wingthird position open in Shooting Star and both the wingsecond and wingleader position open in White Dawn. Do you have a preference on wing?"

Without hesitation, she answered. "White Dawn. Their leadership is noticeably absent-" as evident by their lacking wingleader and wingsecond "-which I desire to correct." No Wingthird position for her. Those positions were reserved for experienced wingriders who had flown in their wing for turns, knowing it perhaps better than even their own Wingleader. It was for blueriders and pewterriders, the very dragonriders who had experience to offer and needed a place to utilise such offerings. No... Inez did not desire to fly in Shooting Star.

So which position did she take? Should she be bold? "I do favour the Wingleader position," she finally stated. "I do understand more... experience may be required. Yet with a strong Wingthird, and a Wingsecond I trust, I do feel confident I could meet the challenges of the position." Besides, Inez suspected she might be in the position for some time, therefore providing stability to the Wing. At least a turn would pass before Iorveth tried his wing in Soquilith's leadership flight, giving her time to hone her Wing.
Parker
Site Admin

Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:37 pm

"White Dawn. Their leadership is noticeably absent-" as evident by their lacking wingleader and wingsecond "-which I desire to correct."

Fox gave a nod of his head. "Alright, I'll admit I was hoping you'd pick White Dawn since it is lacking more leadership than Shooting Star." He admitted. He pulled his quill and inkwell a little closer to him that way he could write down the decisions they came to today. There'd be other paperwork to do, of course, there was always more paperwork than he thought was necessary, but things were the way they were for a reason and he wasn't going to argue about it.

"I do favour the Wingleader position," she finally stated. "I do understand more... experience may be required. Yet with a strong Wingthird, and a Wingsecond I trust, I do feel confident I could meet the challenges of the position."

He gave a nod of his head and did his best to keep the knowing smirk off of his face. Her choice of position did not surprise him. She was a bold, confident woman with ambitions. He would have been shocked if she didn't favor the Winglead position. "Elysia of Blue Kelpieth is the current Wingthird and she has proven herself to be very strong and capable. Plus, the rest of her wing respects her from what I've been told. As for the Wingsecond position, no one has come forward to make a claim on the position, though there are at least three riders that would meet the requirements. However, in the lack of interest being shown by them, I suggest we start you off in the Wingsecond position. We'll see how you do there and if you do well, which I'll be honest, I think you will, we can move you up to Wingleader after some time has passed."

Fox pulled out a piece of paper that had some scribbled notes on it. "It's actually rather fortuitous that you came to me now as I've begun to take measures to fill those empty positions. Hopefully, within the next week or so I'll have all of them filled. I think it's best to do it all at once so people can begin to settle and learn to work with their new leaders."

edited- 12/15
Image Image Image Image

Shaihulud

Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:20 pm

"Elysia of Blue Kelpieth is the current Wingthird and she has proven herself to be very strong and capable. Plus, the rest of her wing respects her from what I've been told. As for the Wingsecond position, no one has come forward to make a claim on the position, though there are at least three riders that would meet the requirements. However, in the lack of interest being shown by them, I suggest we start you off in the Wingsecond position. We'll see how you do there and if you do well, which I'll be honest, I think you will, we can move you up to Wingleader after some time has passed."

For all she suggested the Wingleader position, she suspected even she was not capable of beguiling F'lin into such a promotion. But there was a promise in that which was given. If she did manage to prove herself, then the position would be given to her, but not for some time. In all likelihood, the Wingleader position would be filled before Inez could snatch it, though perhaps when the next position opened, she could consider it. Yet Inez was also not foolish enough to assume all would agree to her worth. Her future promotion depended upon the assumption that the Weyrleaders between now and then could see past their own male pride to let a woman like Inez lead a Wing. However, when Iorveth was taken into consideration, Inez also recognised they might not be given a choice on the matter.

"It's actually rather fortuitous that you came to me now as I've begun to take measures to fill those empty positions. Hopefully, within the next week or so I'll have all of them filled. I think it's best to do it all at once so people can begin to settle and learn to work with their new leaders."

Inez gave a nod of approval. "But of course. And how long do you suspect it will be before my transition is made offical?" Much needed to be planned now. And then there was the matter of A'rosius. With her transfer to the Wingsecond position of a White Dawn, the brownrider would insist, with her companion's approval, that the bluerider transfer with her.
Parker
Site Admin

Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:14 am

"But of course. And how long do you suspect it will be before my transition is made official?"

Fox leaned back in his chair and rubbed his chin for a second in thought. Sometimes it wasn't hard to find people who were eager to take on the responsibility of a higher position...and then sometimes it was. He also had to take into consideration that he'd only just begun this search. "I'm hoping that it will take no longer than a couple of weeks, I'd like for it to be sooner. However, if it seems as if my plan to have all of these transitions happen at once isn't going to pander out, then I'm going to go ahead and move those I do have into their new positions. That in mind, I'm going to say that the most you'll have to wait are two weeks."

With business settled, F'lin thanked her for coming to him about this matter. He reiterated his faith in her capabilities and told her he looked forward to working with her. When she had left his office he immediately went back to his desk to fill out the proper paperwork to make this official and made note of it on his wing profiles.

{fin}
Image Image Image Image