Boy vs Girl - Ldypayne | I'ent

The main, central area of the Weyr, since it's no longer a "bowl" like before, people have taken to calling it the courtyard, or more often, the Weyr Yard. Dragons land and take off here while people walk from building to building going along their daily duties.
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:21 am

"What?"

So she had startled him. Solai supposed it was to be expected, which made her wonder just how much she would have unsettled him had she told him she could actually hear dragons. Not many in the weyr knew of her ability. Only her sister, her uncle, and Ao'mek were privy to such knowledge.

"I wouldn't do anything like that...what Northern boys do. Not who I am."

"I figured as much," she answered in approval. If he had been like the northern boys... well, Solai wanted to think she would have put him in his place, but then she realised Angela would have done it better than herself. It might have been more entertaining to let Angela handle the matter herself, humorous even.

Oh yes, that was quite clear. He at least is considering getting to know your sister. He needs female friends so he can understand they aren't all out to get him. It's a work in progress but with my help and the help of a male friend, he's improving.

Well that's good to know. She really could use some friends too, honestly. Ever since she came back from Evanoria and left our sister, Emalia, behind, she's had a real hard time acclimating socially. Maybe that was part of the reason Angela had also come to fancy K'rios. The man was one of the few constants in Emalia's life. Maybe if she had friends her age, the young girl would redirect her attention towards someone far more appropriate.

"So what do you say then? Want to ask her for a dance? Or should I warm you up first?" Solai caught herself, only to laugh more at herself than I'ent. "Sorry, I just realised that came out so wrong. I didn't mean it in a dirty way. I mean in a sparring way." As a gentler sparring partner, Solai thought it nice offer to I'ent to have some practice before handling her sister. Angela would likely not be as kind once she fell into focus.

Image x5 - counted
Last edited by Shaihulud on Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LdyPayne

Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:23 pm

I'ent shifted uncertainly, finding the more he talked with Solai the more confusing she came to be to him. He was understanding she was not anything like a typical Southern woman as she was born in the North which clearly had different views when it came to which gender was the more dominate. In fact the North seemed completely opposite in all things than the South, at least outside of New Atricis. Yet at the same time Solai would say things that totally confused him once more, making him feel she was still flirting with him or maybe trying to set him up for a fall.

<You really need to embrace a more adventurous spirit my Precious, this one is not out to harm you and she's special too.> Shireth had a feeling Solai wasn't typical among humans because she was so easy to talk to, almost as easy as it was to her Precious. The green could communicate with any human she pleased but there was always more effort to do so compared to her rider. This was especially noticeable when it came to humans who didn't have that something which made them good Candidates to be dragonriders.

I'ent sighed. He knew Shireth had a point but he didn't have any interest in fighting with Solai or her sister, even in a sparring circle. It felt too much like a potential trap and maybe even an embarrassment as he was certain both women would be better fighters. Solai pretty much said just that when she mentioned Angela could handle herself, among other things.

"I finished my sparring for today," I'ent responded. "There's plenty of other men here for you and your sister to spar with who haven't had a chance have a turn in the circle." He hoped this was enough to show he wasn't interested in fighting either and Solai would drop trying to get him in the rink with her or Angela.

Image x6
--Claimed--
Shaihulud

Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:53 pm

"I finished my sparring for today. There's plenty of other men here for you and your sister to spar with who haven't had a chance have a turn in the circle."

He was leaving? She reached back to Shireth, If he's going to befriend girls... the least he can do is give them a chance... The words were not meant to condemn, but to encourage the green to intervene with her rider. "Really? I was hoping you'd stick around..." she looked to him with her dark eyes, and made the perfect pout. "Just one round? Please? And afterwards, if you really want to go, you can go. Also, if you win... I'll by you a drink at the tavern nearby." Knowing his apprehension, Solai really did want to try and prove him wrong about his misconceptions about women. Maybe the offer of a drink and talk might win him over and soften him around the edges.

And if she won? Well, she would still buy him that drink, but he would have to face off with Angela. Angela really had to be involved somehow. Why could that girl not just do this herself? I'ent sure was a skittish as a cat, but he did not seem to be the sort to spit, swat or bite unprovoked.

Tyreth decided to join the group and landed not far from the younger green. I do hope my little one is not pestering you two too much, she apologised to Shireth. I've always loved her for her tenacity. She gets an idea in her head, and refuses to give up. Unfortunately, I know not everyone else ever understands, but no offence is meant, I assure you.

Of course, no offence is meant, Solai interjected.

Image x6 - counted
Last edited by Shaihulud on Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
LdyPayne

Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:13 pm

It was clear to I'ent now Solia was only interested in getting in the ring with him, something he really had no intention of doing. As much as he would like to trust her not to be up to something, the more she kept pushing to spar the more his distrust came to the fore. Even the offer to buy him a drink should he win didn't tempt him. A chance to drink free wasn't much of a temptation as he rarely drank as it was. Nor would he be inclined to drink with a woman who just won't stop trying to get him to fight.

>I don't know how things are done where you come from but to my Precious you don't make friends by trying to get into a fight with them, even a practice match. Especially if you're a woman, far as he's concern even sparring with a woman is suicide.< Shireth stated bluntly. She really didn't know why this strange woman who was so easy to talk to didn't realize the more she pushed to spar the more she was pushing I'ent away.

<She's starting to...If she doesn't drop this wish to fight with my Precious I may have to knock her over. Or call my mate over to bite her...he likes doing that.>

Shireth shifted from her spot, not certain if Solai's claim not to cause offense was valid. Perhaps if she backed off then Shireth will believe her.

Image x4
--Claimed--
Shaihulud

Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:37 am

Trigger Warning for Mention of Rape and Abuse

Wingrider Solai and Green Dragon Tyreth

The scent of suspicion began to warn Solai her efforts would fail disastrously. His lack of response and telling posture told her a line had been crossed in her attempt to be friendly, though why, she did not know... not until Shireth's words struck her thoughts directly.

I don't know how things are done where you come from but to my Precious you don't make friends by trying to get into a fight with them, even a practice match. Especially if you're a woman, far as he's concern even sparring with a woman is suicide.

I beg your pardon? While Solai attempted to be understanding, as a northern woman who endured her own horrors with men, her sympathies only went so far. Immediately her brow furrowed at I'ent, her temperament flashing from the once cheerful greenrider to indignant woman.

She's starting to...If she doesn't drop this wish to fight with my Precious I may have to knock her over. Or call my mate over to bite her...he likes doing that.

Tyreth's eyes whirled red towards the green when she threatened to harm her rider, though the speckled green understood civility enough not to outright snap at her. But make no mistake, Tyreth was sorely tempted, and she did not mince words with Shireth. I've been with Solai for over ten turns and I do not take threats against her lightly, even from dragons like you. She is my life. Therefore, if your mate ever hurts her physically with the intent to cause her harm... I'll take him between myself. The green refused to let Shireth threaten her rider with unprovoked violence and get away with it. Though Solai was a strong woman willing to endure I'ent's bitter behaviour, it did not mean she deserved physical abuse as well.

Solai took a long and deep breath to calm herself. Did she say anything? She debated. it was evident she needed to go, and should have walked away without another word, but she would not give him the satisfaction of letting him live in his bubble of victimhood after his dragon's remarks. "You know," she began calmly, "you're not the only victim here. Where I come from, the women of the north are treated worse than the men in the south, and unlike you southern boys, who only need to step on northern territory to be free from your shackles, northern women can't escape it because there is nowhere to go." Even in Walled, northern girls could still suffer and be branded as slaves to be used by the whims of men. She continued with a voice as cool as between, "Girls as young as twelve are forced to become slaves in marriage to meet the needs of older men, and men abuse and rape women every day with impunity. Even my own mother wasn't spared from the violence for all she was a Weyrwoman, and even I've had my own share of violent men ever since I was a child. It nearly killed both of us. But you know what? For all I want to tell all the men I encounter to go fuck themselves, I at least try to give them a chance first to prove me wrong... despite their sex and what it stands for in my life. So I'ent, Shireth... go fuck yourselves. You've earned it." Solai turned to walk away, only to stop and say one last thing. "Oh... and since you're so keen on finding fault with a woman's sex, stay away from my sister. She deserves better." Angela had already had to deal with northern misogyny. Last thing she needed right now was to be exposed to the southern variety too.

Solai walked away, putting I'ent behind her. For all he said he was nothing like the northern men, I'ent had proven himself to be no better than them.

Dragon Candidate Angela

Angela wanted to stay angry at Solai, though how could she? Logic slowly got the better of Angela, reminding her that in the end, what happened between her sister and K'rios was the result of a flight. Besides, why should she care? While the candidate could not deny the fact she held some sort of affection for K'rios, she also had no desire to act on it. Such things simply did not interest her.

The circle did, however, interest her, though she simply did not have the gumption to ask anyone to spar with her. Though brave in other matters, social situations tested her courage, at least for the meantime. Watching Solai interact with that man, Angela found herself envying her older sister once more. How did she do it? Just... walk up to men like that? Angela had half the mind to do the same, or at least she did until it had become evident Solai's conversation had gone sour. Even Tyreth was upset.

What happened? She thought, hoping Tyreth would tell her.

They were hostile, Tyreth replied as she moved away from Shireth and walked towards the entrance of the circle.

What? What did that mean? Angela regarded the green, only to switch her gaze back to Solai who had reached the bleachers. "What did he say? Did he insult you?"

Her sister did not immediately answer. Instead, she kept silent for several breaths, enough to make Angela hold her own in concern. Already her stomach sunk. What did he say?

Tyreth denied her a response this time.

"Solai?"

Ever so slowly, the smile returned to her face, albeit a morose one. "How about we get out of here, have some sister time. Just you and me."

Angela treated it as suspicious. "What did he say to you?"

After an initial delay, Solai replied. "He was being a man. How about I just put it that way."

The simple response did not exactly speak the volumes Solai likely intended, but it got her point across, for Solai only brought up the term "being a man" when they had treated her as less than human for being a woman. Lips pressed in disappointment, and immediately Angela resented the person who demeaned her sister. His name might remain an unknown, but she had a face to remember him by. "I'm sorry. Yeah, we can go have some sister time. I wasn't going to stick around anyway." Not the entire truth, but she loved Solai enough to set her wants aside and be a sister to her.

"Thanks," Solai smiled back at her.

How could she say "no" to family? As Solai whistled for Scarletto to return to her shoulder, Angela gathered her hybrids and motioned towards Tyreth at the entrance. Maybe tonight they could talk about everything... talk about nothing... and be what sisters should always be to one another: loving support. Living in Emalia's absence, and with their parents now moved to Evanoria with Sunnita, Angela found herself in need of the constants of family.

"So can I ask you about K'rios?" Solai opened the conversation as they walked towards Tyreth.

"What about him? Do you like him?" she asked the two questions as though there were linked together naturally. She blushed when she realised her error.

Solai chuckled in turn. "I think... we need to have a talk, a good talk, but a talk."

Angela supposed that was true as she mounted onto Tyreth behind Solai, and let the green take them to a place far more inviting than the Sparring Circle.

(Sorry that didn't turn out. I'll leave it open if you want I'ent to close it.)

LdyPayne

Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:10 pm

Shireth didn't have a chance to say anything to Solai's response as Tyreth reacted in a way not completely unexpected to Shireth's threat. It was one thing to tease her rider not realizing he was very distrustful of the females of his kind but quite another to keep pushing him to fight when he didn't want to. Shireth doubted any person liked to be pestered into doing something they didn't want to do.

The moss green turned towards Tyreth, her eyes whirling towards shades of red and orange. <What I said was a warning only so you can tell your rider to ease up. I've known My Precious all my life too and just as willing to fight to protect him as you are to protect yours. Mine isn't the one pestering yours to fight and she clearly isn't bright enough to just stop asking him to fight her or her sister. That's all she had to do, not my problem she's dense.>

Even as I'ent was sensing irritation from Shireth he was suddenly subjected to a long speech about victims and child abuse and how men treated women in the North. I'ent had no idea why Solai was suddenly anger and acting like he was trying to act a victim and belittle her own experiences. It totally confused him where all this was coming from but one thing he was certain of, Solai was definitely a woman he was glad he didn't agree to spar with. Then she was walking away and heading towards her sister and I'ent was more than happy to stay away from the both of them.

He gave his head a shake then looked over at some of the other men who were standing nearby. From their mixed expressions he was certain they had overheard most of the conversation especially once Solai went into her speech about being the greater victim.

>Don't let it bother you Precious...she clearly didn't know how to be friends with you...Seems her idea of making friends is to fight with them in the circle..instead of just talking. Not very stable and you're better off without her.>

I'ent glanced over at Solai and Angela as they flew off on Solai's green. He gave his head a shake and grabbed his things before mounting Shireth so she can fly him back to his apartment. It seemed some Northern girls were just as confusing and risky dealing with as Southern.

ooc: Definitely didn't turn out how I expected, but an interesting thread nonetheless.