The Charge of Youth - Ember | Sianca

The Crafter Complex is a series of buildings that contain craft halls and rooms for the crafters of New Atricis to work. There is a single dorm building for apprentices, while journeyman and masters live in second floor rooms in their respective crafts. Off to the side from the complex is the largest building, the Infirmary, where everyone in the Weyr receives Healer attention and desk workers keep track of who comes and goes at the entrance to the Infirmary.
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:27 pm

In silence they worked, and under normal circumstances, Angela preferred it that way. But a certain voice continued smiling in her thoughts, encouraging her to step out of the little shell that she had sequestered herself within. Glances were spared to Sianca as the girl work, enough to begin distracting the younger candidate when she realised she had begun to piece together a way to talk to the other girl. After all, it seemed apparent Sianca might be equally as distant.

Where was Emalia when she needed her? Her twin never needed to plot out how to say things to make friends. She just said what she wanted...

What if I said something silly? Would Sianca made fun of me if I did? Angela did not like the idea of being made fun of. That happened enough as it was, making it even harder for the girl to make any friends. Firelizards were kinder, which was likely the reason she spent so much of her time with Daphne and Apollo, rather than any sort of person.

When Sianca approached, Angela wondered if perhaps the older girl would strike up a conversation. Instead, she spoke of work. "Found some unused hides. Little bit of a treasure. I'll place them with the others."

"All right," Angela answered with a nod and the faintest hint of disappointment. She buried herself in her work, sorting through a collection of old quills. Some were still useful, but some had cracked beyond repair...

... crafts...

The younger girl stole a glance of the other girl before looking back to the quills at hand. Crafts. "So... ummm... do you have a craft? or you just a candidate?" Just... just!? Damnit Angela! Before Sianca might take insult, Angela corrected herself. "I mean not that there's anything wrong with not crafting." She could not bring herself to regard the girl, and instead did her best to focus on work... albeit with a ear tuned for Sianca's voice if the girl felt so inclined to answer, and possibly berate her.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:14 am

Sianca perked up a little when Angela spoke to her. She had wondered about talking to the other candidate as well, but hadn't been sure about how to begin a conversation with her. She hated being so shy sometimes, and knew she'd have to get over it, but Angela seemed so nice, and they were getting on well enough while they worked. Why couldn't they talk together while they worked?

She paused with her broom in hand and brushed hair form her eyes. "Well." She scratched her cheek. "I don't have a craft, truthfully. My father and mother are the Holders of a tiny little Holding in the North, and I was raised without any real expectations except that one day I would be married off." She frowned and turned her broom around to pick too big pieces of fuzz out of the bristles.

"Then I was Searched by a visiting Atrician dragon, and father didn't want me to go really because there were marriage prospects coming in, but... well, I convinced them to let me go. Mother and father that is. And... this is probably a little more than you really wanted to know about. The question was, am a crafter or not. The short answer is no, the long one is that I wish I had crafted sometimes. I wouldn't mind being a weaver, I think." She lifted her chin towards Angela. "Perhaps I should know, but what about you?"

Please visit the above link for a list of my current
characters, links to their profiles, to see what
they look like, and find other little facts about them!

[ Marks Tracker | Graphics Shop | NPC Archive ]

“You fail only if you stop writing.”
— Ray Bradbury —

The gorgeous avatar is by the talented Kaenith.
Shaihulud

Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:19 pm

Well. I don't have a craft, truthfully. My father and mother are the Holders of a tiny little Holding in the North, and I was raised without any real expectations except that one day I would be married off."

Married off? Angela's face skewed at the implications of what Sianca said, and then it dawned on her what the girl was actually saying.

"Then I was Searched by a visiting Atrician dragon, and father didn't want me to go really because there were marriage prospects coming in, but... well, I convinced them to let me go. Mother and father that is. And... this is probably a little more than you really wanted to know about. The question was, am a crafter or not. The short answer is no, the long one is that I wish I had crafted sometimes. I wouldn't mind being a weaver, I think. Perhaps I should know, but what about you?"

The more Sianca said, the more Angela felt her weyrbred virtues radiate with outrage. Really, how could any man expect a girl to live solely to be married off! The very thought made Angela seize. Even after Sianca returned to Angela's original question, the young girl continued to linger on what Sianca said, a confession that would likely fester in the weyrbred girl. "Holder boys. I can't believe that thought that was fair to you." Though normally timid, now was one of those rare times when Angela's heart beat passionately, pushing her to action, or, in those case, words. Outrage. "It's good you're here in the weyr. You shouldn't let boys push you around like that." Then it dawned on Angela, who had still failed to answer Sianca's question. "You aren't going to go back there, are you?" Even if she did not Impress? The thought of anyone returning to such a life was such a depressing thought to the young girl.
Ember

Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:13 am

Sianca considered what was being said, and the anger on display, she shook her head, slowing in her work though she continued to pick at the ends of the broom. "My parents expect me to, but I don't think I can go back. The Weyr feels more like home to me than the Hold is supposed to be. I was always pushed aside because I wasn't really the favored child - it was always my sister, who is heir, or my brothers who did all the work. I was kind of the child who was born without consequence."

She shrugged, as if that label didn't bother her, though it kind of did a little, and she tossed aside some fuzz and glanced at Angela. "I don't know how I'll tell them I'm not going back, but for now I haven't heard from them, and I suppose I won't until a couple of seasons have passed, or they hear about the hatching having passed, whichever happens to take place first."

— Ray Bradbury —

Shaihulud

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:50 pm

"My parents expect me to, but I don't think I can go back. The Weyr feels more like home to me than the Hold is supposed to be. I was always pushed aside because I wasn't really the favored child - it was always my sister, who is heir, or my brothers who did all the work. I was kind of the child who was born without consequence."

Heir? Did that mean she was born to a prestigious bloodline? Not only holdbred, but noble-bred? Angela was about to ask, but Sianca continued.

"I don't know how I'll tell them I'm not going back, but for now I haven't heard from them, and I suppose I won't until a couple of seasons have passed, or they hear about the hatching having passed, whichever happens to take place first."

"Do they even know your a candidate?" she asked of the girl. For the meantime, it seemed Angela no longer cared about their work, and wondered everything about Sianca, where she came from, why she was here, who she was. Such a curiosity for any one else had never arisen before, at least not that Angela could remember. "Are... are you like... I don't know... a noble?" She finally had the chance to ask. Sianca did mention heirs after all.
Ember

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:56 am

She nodded, finally deciding to move around and sweep a little more. She disliked having idle hands, and needed something to do while they talked. She didn't mean to be rude, but she wanted to make sure she kept busy while they were standing around. "Yes, they know I'm a candidate. I talked to them about it after I was Searched, and they weren't exactly happy about it all, but I was able to convince them it would be a fine situation."

As for the rest of it, she shook her head, and flipped her braid back over her shoulder when it it turned over. "No, I wouldn't say I'm a noble. We're a minor holding at best. My sister is just next in line to take over. My father and mother tend to make it more serious than it actually is. I think they would like to make the Hold more major than it actually is, but..." She lifted her shoulders at that. "As I've said, I was kind of the child that was often shoved to the side, the one that was given no consequences because I had no true duties - not heir, not a male child. They didn't really mind me as much as the others."

— Ray Bradbury —

Shaihulud

Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:38 pm

"Yes, they know I'm a candidate. I talked to them about it after I was Searched, and they weren't exactly happy about it all, but I was able to convince them it would be a fine situation."

At least they knew that much and would not bother her too much about it... or at least any more about it. Some holder girls kept it from their parents, only to Impress and tell them the news afterwards. That never went over well. The name of her cousin, Inez, came to mind when she thought of such scenarios.

Though the way Sianca tossed her braid certainly was distracting. It caused Angela to admire the long locks. The length of it was comparable to her sister Emalia, who had grown her own curly tresses out to a similar length. Angela, however, simply lacked the patients for such care, but that did not mean she did not admire it in others.

"No, I wouldn't say I'm a noble. We're a minor holding at best. My sister is just next in line to take over. My father and mother tend to make it more serious than it actually is. I think they would like to make the Hold more major than it actually is, but... As I've said, I was kind of the child that was often shoved to the side, the one that was given no consequences because I had no true duties - not heir, not a male child. They didn't really mind me as much as the others."

Was that a humble brag? "Sounds like you're a noble to me," she answered rather blatantly. It was one of those take-one-to-know-one situations, for as the daughter of a Weyrwoman and Weyrleader, Angela had met plenty of the noble sort. It was not necessarily a bad thing, but Angela found it better to admit it rather than skirt around it.
Ember

Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:35 am

"Sounds like you're a noble to me,"

Angela made it sound like she was, when in Sianca's world, she wasn't. She didn't feel that way at least. Her parents might be trying to achieve such a status for themselves, but she had never felt a part of that word. She lifted her shoulders and looked down at her fingers, things that had seen work and labor her parents would never approve of if they knew what candidacy was truly like. They would never approve, and she realized then that they must be some flavor of truth to what the other girl ahd said to her.

Sighing, she started to sweep a little again, gripping the broom handle extra tight as a result. "Whatever you and my parents might think, and whatever I may or may not be.... I'm not that person anymore. I don't feel that way anymore, and I don't wish to be that person anymore." There was far more freedom here, far more chances to be someone her parents would never let her be back at "home".

— Ray Bradbury —

Shaihulud

Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:18 pm

"Whatever you and my parents might think, and whatever I may or may not be.... I'm not that person anymore. I don't feel that way anymore, and I don't wish to be that person anymore."

"And you don't have to be like them, but... you still grew up with more opportunities than most people, the kind a lot of people will never know." As the daughter of a Weyrwoman and Weyrleader, the daughter of the now Master Harper of Evanoria, while Angela never felt the same way as her parents, for richness, and luxury that never wore well on her, she still recognised she had it better than most. She did not want to become a Weyrwoman or Weyrleader, but that did not mean she did not afford a strong education, better than most holdless or cotholders who never learned their letters or numbers.

Therefore, to say she was not one of them was in many ways... a lie.

Angela gave a shrug. "I always hated wearing those really pretty dresses and drinking really nice wine, but my parents still made sure I knew how good I had it, even if I didn't always want it-" especially with how poorly her mother was raised in the seahold before her Impression "-As the daughter of a Weyrwoman and Weyrleader, even if I want nothing to do with that sort of life, privilege, or prestige, it doesn't change the fact I'm never really going to understand what it's really like to struggle because I never had a choice. So whether we like it or not, yeah... we are still like them."
Ember

Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:31 am

"-As the daughter of a Weyrwoman and Weyrleader, even if I want nothing to do with that sort of life, privilege, or prestige, it doesn't change the fact I'm never really going to understand what it's really like to struggle because I never had a choice. So whether we like it or not, yeah... we are still like them."

She didn't want to admit that it made sense, or that she understood it all really. She just gripped her broom a little harder and sighed. Her parents had never made sure she had those lessons, just let her run around and do what she pleased, and she'd mostly grown to be a shy little thing that barely had her own voice, that had bucked at her parents the first chance she had. She'd never thought or considered anyone else because she'd never been told to consider them. She'd often been trapped in her own little worlds because it was all she had to do on a daily basis, to entertain herself with.

She looked down at her feet and tried to shrug again but her shoulders wouldn't rise and she couldn't make them. "My parents weren't like yours. I didn't learn those things and I wasn't fortunate enough to understand those things as a child. All I had to go by on when I was at the Hold were my own thoughts and what I did to get myself through each day. They didn't care so long as I stayed within the Hold grounds." Finally she was able to shrug, because to her, it was the past, and it was something she would never have to do again. "I never considered anyone else, or that I had it better than anyone else because I was so miserable stuck like that for so long."

— Ray Bradbury —