That Which We Hold Dear ~ Tag: K'uavaen/I'ent/Kent/Isolde

The vast territory that belongs to the Southern people of Walled Hold. A fishing village also exists within this territory. Between the two settlements the people aren't very large in number, but they are filled with pride and strength.
LdyPayne

Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:05 am

Hearing the voices had I'ent tense then he considered sending Shimmer off to check on the source but realized a Fancy Flitt would likely be too noticeable. Instead he kept his friend close and watched for Locke's signal. When he saw the signal to follow he moved in behind Locke as quietly as he could, remembering everything he was taught. When the voices were too close and Locke tugged on his arm to drag him behind some boxes, I'ent moved without resistance.

I'ent nodded after Locke gave his whispered instructions then waited. Soon the source of the whispers came into view and it was clear they weren't guards. Once they passed he saw Locke's nod and waited till he made his move before jumping up and grabbing the other man, wrapping his arm around his neck like he was taught and squeezing just enough to cut off any shouts. He pulled back to keep the man unbalanced and make it harder for him to break free.

"Don't struggle, don't make a sound and you'll live," I'ent hissed in his man's ear. It was fortunate the man I'ent grabbed was about the same height and weight and more inclined to obey than fight despite the warning. I'ent hadn't drawn his knife but he did have a firelizard on his shoulder hanging on tightly to the padded leather who could bite and scratch an eye out if I'ent commanded. The soft hiss Shimmer added to I'ent's words certainly helped.

Seeing his buddy also restrained seemed to have taken the fight out of the man I'ent held but I'ent kept himself ready just in case it was a trick. I'ent glanced over at Locke's prisoner when he talked about being part of the Rebellion and was here to rescue their members. I'ent thought they must be real amateurs given how noisy they were. He then noticed Locke had put his blade away and nodded when he was told to relax.

I'ent let the man he was holding go slowly, giving him time to regain his balance before backing away. Only then did he glance at Locke again when he told the men they had to be more quiet. He also agreed best to let this noisy pair off on their own, hopefully to another section of the cells to where Isolde was being kept so they could draw off any guards because of how noisy they are. When the man suggested they join forces however I'ent didn't like the idea at all.

"I don't know....depends where their friends are being held," I'ent said just loud enough for Locke to hear. If the others wanted to hear what he said they would just have to move closer. "If kept in the same area where we need to go, best they watch for guards while we free the prisoners...I doubt they can be quiet as us if we hae to deal with any guards still up ahead."
Fawkes
Junior Admin
Title: The Majestic Birb
Pronouns: She/Her, or Birb

Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:28 am

The greenrider gave a soft nod toward K'uavaen when the man said he had Synsith speak with the daywher, it was an apt thing to do, messages relayed where no guard can hear. Though, he hoped that the gray wouldn't let the idea of rescue go to his head and act against his constraints before they arrived, so Kent hurried them forward at a quiet yet quick pace. Around the buildings and through the alleyways he used to know so well, they traveled light on their feet and silent as shadows.

As they grew closer to the kennels, the buildings were a little further apart and Kent cautioned his compatriot as they crested a gap between the rows. Peeking out, he caught no sight of movement and found another place of cover for them, and with a wave to the bluerider, scurried forward to duck behind the wagon. They were close now, and even the air around them took on the stink of too many dogs in one place. Kent put a finger to his lips, motioning for utmost silence and then pointed down, indicating that K should stay put.

In another breath, Kent was slipping around the side of the wagon and creeping toward the large building that housed the kennels. He made himself as small as possible against the wall and moved with the shadows as he crept along toward one of the side doors. Perched against the frame was one of the guards, leaning back in his chair and chin resting against his chest in a state of blessed repose. Asleep on the job was always good for the shadows, and Kent took advantage of the surprise as he had, gripping his dagger tight in his hand.

Using the pommel of the weapon, he cracked it against the man's skull, a dull thud and groan was all the sound it made as the man slumped even further into his chair. Now at least it was assured he would not be waking up anytime soon, and neither could he report or chase them while unconscious. Kent didn't move and lay still for a moment in the silence as he gave another glance about, making sure no one had seen nor heard that.

When it felt clear again, he moved back into sight of K'uavaen and ushered the man forward and then unslung the pack from his shoulders. Pulling out a tightly bound bag, he passed it over to the bluerider as he pressed up against the wall. "Give one of these to each hound. I'll take care of the guards inside." He whispered quietly, and retrieved a second small blade from the pack, something with a bit more of a curved edge than his straight dagger. "If you find the gray, keep him quiet. I'll join you soon." The greenrider added softly, and gave the man a firm nod, then moved to the door and slowly began to push it open.

The hinge gave a groan as the door moved, a sound that echoed in their ears indefinitely for a moment and made his heart pound in his chest. Slipping through the crack though, he gave a keen glance around and didn't see any immediate danger and so pulled himself through the doorway and edged further into the room. It was dark, save for the flicker of a candle off in an anteroom, and it took a moment for his eyes to adjust to the darkness. The groan of the door echoed once more as K'uavaen crept in behind him and Kent's gaze went to the room with the candle. Voices could be heard but their words were garbled by distance, though it sounded like two distinct voices.

Kent held up two fingers, then three, and motioned toward the room. Just because he could only hear two voices, didn't rule out the chance of a silent partner. His next motion was to K'uavaen himself and then gesturing toward the other end of the building, where they could hear the rustle of restless hounds and the occasional snuff or snort. The kennels would be part of the back wall, built to give the canines free access to indoor and outdoor enclosures, and surely Reshelde would be held in one of them.

The greenrider would find the keys though, the means to the daywhers escape and another brief motion toward the bag and a nod to the bluerider, Kent slipped out and slunk like a shadow down the hallway toward the flickering light. Inside the bag, K'uavaen would find scraps of raw meat and gristle that the cooks wouldn't miss, and each were laced with fellis to bring down a wher, so should be able to bring slumber upon these hounds.

The first he found to be reluctant, growling softly at him and threatening to give alarm, yet the piece of meat seemed to take it by surprise. Though the growling continued, the hound sniffed at the supplied snack and then quieted long enough to give it a nip. Satisfied it was a real treat, the hound snatched up the piece of meat and retreated back to it's bed to gnaw upon the tasty morsel. After that, the other hounds seemed to rouse and realize that they were getting an unexpected midnight snack and were already waiting for K'uavaen by the time he reached the last few kennels.

At the end of the row, the glows had been left to grow dim and the kennels ran empty, though it was apparent something still lived back there. The rustle of straw, and the clatter of a chain was heard as the bluerider drew further into the darkness. The movement stopped at the sound of a boot scuffing on the ground though, as if whatever it was had heard the man and was now listening for more. After a breath or two, the bluerider could feel the tentative press against his mind. K'uavaen? Is that you? The voice was familiar and drew the bluerider in further, yet wavered with weakness instead of the strength he'd once bore.

The daywher padded closer then, the chain around his neck rattling as he moved and pulled tight when he reached the end of the length. He couldn't even reach the cage of his prison, could barely even reach the outside to feel the sun on his paling hide. They feared him far too much to give him any sort of leniency, even though he was caged up like one of their hounds. I thought I would never see you again... Reshelde said with the softest whimper as he tugged himself to the limits of his restraints, wishing he could get closer to the bluerider, his friend. Synsith, he told me you were coming... but I wasn't sure... I told Isolde. She knows you're here. The gray daywher continued, becoming more agitated at the chain around his neck, backing up to loosen it, only to paw at it for the thousandth time and then nearly dash forward again knowing the effort was futile.

You have to get me out of here K'uavaen... The hunter whined, clawing at the ground with a sinuous paw. No longer did he sport the flushed look of a well fed and pampered pack member, and he'd been transformed into something resembling a wraith of his former self, a leaner more bony version of his old self. Scars crossed his hide from where the men had had to beat him to keep him from mauling them, and he'd earned this chain for a good reason, though he would always bear the marks of his captors.

Behind the bluerider came the sound of footsteps, and Reshelde paused at the noise, lips curling back instinctively and a soft growl escaped him. He knew fighting was meaningless, but that didn't stop him from trying. The footsteps however, belonged to the greenrider, and as Kent came into view, he held up a ring of keys in his hand. There was a rather confident smile on the man's face, despite the fact that as he came closer, one could see the splatter of blood that freckled his upper half, including a few droplets upon fair cheeks, and the hand that held the keys was stained with the evidence of the guards untimely demise.

"Wasn't as easy as I'd hoped, but I got the keys." Kent said rather nonchalantly as he approached, glancing into a few of the kennels and noting the drowsy hounds. "Good job, they'll be sleeping that off for a while, should give us plenty of time to meet up with the others." The greenrider added with a nod and stepped up to the kennel that housed the daywher. Reshelde had gone quiet now that the newcomer had proved to be a friend, and though he paced anxiously at the end of his rein, he was simply eager to be free again.

A few tries with the wrong keys, led to finally choosing the right one and when the lock clicked at the turn of the key, all three of them seemed to sigh in relief. Stepping in, Kent raised a cautious hand toward the daywher to sniff and acknowledge, and when given permission, he stepped in closer to try the keys at the lock holding the chain around his neck. Reshelde however gave a soft noise and faceted gaze moved to look at the bluerider, pawing the ground and whining softly to be nearer to the man and nuzzled against him the moment he was close enough to. Not often the affectionate sort, the gray hadn't felt the touch of a friend in what seemed like ages and he drank in anything the man had to offer.

When the click of a lock was heard, the chain fell loose around his neck and Reshelde practically purred in delight, a soft rumble that vibrated through his whole body. He gave a shake of his self, from head to tail and shook loose aching muscles and got the ichor flowing again. Thank you. The daywher said to the both of them, and yet it was to K'uavaen that he leaned again. I am strong enough, take me to Isolde now. The hunter said, wasting no time now that he was free, and he nudged against the bluerider before taking the first few steps toward freedom.

"Easy there. We have to still be careful." Kent started, stepping after the daywher and stopping him before reaching the door. "We can't just go traipsing down main street with you, so you will follow me, alright? I got K'uavaen here, I'll get us to Isolde and the others, stay close and stay quiet." The greenrider said rather firmly, staring down at the daywher until the gray seemed to acquiesce, and then glanced to K'uavaen and to the door again. "We'll retrace our steps for the most part, and then cut into the Hold to get to the rendezvous. If I'm right, Locke should be with Isolde soon enough and he'll be heading there too. If we get there first, we hold tight, don't give away our position, no matter what we hear until we see Locke or I'ent." He waited just long enough for K'uavaen to confirm, and then moved toward the door they'd come in through, Reshelde padding quickly behind him.

Pausing for just a moment with his hand upon the door, he felt for Awahith and had her pass along a message to Wraith. They have the daywher, and are on their way. The green told the chimera at her side, knowing he would pass along the message to his own. Be careful out there my dear. She bespoke her rider, pressing upon him the urgency to stay safe. Always. He reminded her lovingly, the momentary flash of warmth through their bond and then reality sank back in again and he had a job to do.

The familiar groaning echo greeted them as he pulled the door open once more, taking a quick glance outside to make sure nothing had changed and then ushered the two of them out and past him, toward the cover of the wagon once more. From the side of the pack, Kent removed one of the waterskins and uncorked it, making a face at the pungent whiff he caught. The greenrider began to sprinkle it then, all around the door, on the guard still knocked out in his chair, along the whole wall of the building and out into the expanse of the road beyond. He was cautiously glancing around as he did so, making sure not to be noticed and yet giving everything he could see a sprinkle of the foul smelling liquid as he went, weaving a little to spread the scent further and further. Finally, the skin was empty, and he tossed it as far as he could, and then hastened back to the others.

"Wher piss... should throw them off our scent whenever they do finally wake up. Don't ask me how I got it..." The man said quietly as he brushed past the bluerider and took the lead once more. He gave another quick glance about, and then led them back the way they had come in, traveling quickly through the alleyways once more and pausing only when they heard of sound of a patrol. After a time, he broke off the known path and pressed them further into the Hold, into the more crowded areas of the Living Ward, and thankfully most of them were fast asleep in their beds and the others they were able to avoid by keeping to the shadows or laying in wait. They moved through it without incident, and the population began to grow sparse again as they moved into the outskirts once more, growing nearer to the entrance to The Bottoms.

They were to meet at Mouse's hovel, down in the depths of what he'd once called Home. The darkness seeped into everything whenever you were down and it made his skin crawl even thinking of going back down in there. Yet, they had good information that could lead to making a huge impact on the slaving trade of The Bottoms and Kent intended to see this through to the end, to put a stop to these foul trades and give a better life to the ones enslaved. Kent barely even hesitated then as he led the bluerider and daywher down into the depths of the mountain, leading them toward the little hovel that was their meeting point with Locke and the others, hopefully with a freed dayhandler in tow. He wondered what K'uavaen was thinking or feeling, to be reunited with his love after so long apart under such circumstances. Kent knew a bit of how that felt, his own story with Locke was not filled with pleasant surprises and rainbows either.

The daywher padded quietly beside them, pausing when they did, made himself appear as small as possible when needed and was their ever present shadow as they crept through the Hold. He was doggedly quiet and focused on one singular thing, to reach Isolde and be with her again, never leave her side so long as they both shall live. He reached out to her, could feel her getting closer and he was anxious to see her again, but knew he needed to wait. They have her now, I can feel it. She's getting closer. The hunter said hopefully, stepping up alongside K'uavaen and nuzzling softly against his hand. There was a little perk in his step as they reached The Bottoms, knowing that soon enough, he would see his Isolde again and they would be free to be together again.

Pressing on, the trio slipped into the shady underbelly of Walled and sank further into it's depths, reaching for one particular bright spot on the horizon. Moving through the Bottoms wasn't quite as hard as when the guards were patrolling, but now they just had to make sure they weren't seen by the wrong people. Surprise must remain on their side, or all of their plans would be ruined, and so Kent kept them to the shadows he knew so well until the familiar sight of the hovel came into view. Instead of making themselves known though, Kent stopped them beside a broken down cart and hunkered down in it's cover. He had a good view of Mouse's place from here and wanted to make sure the coast was clear before just waltzing in. Part of him wanted to make sure that Locke was safe, wanted to see that he was okay before the wraithrider even saw him. "We stay here until we see one of the others approach the hovel." Kent said quietly, keeping a keen gaze on the entrance to Mouse's place and waited for Locke and the others to arrive safe and sound.

{FINALLY got Kent's part written and instead of adding Isolde too, I just wanted to post it.
Kate, I hope I left it fairly open for K'uavaen to interact, and get to say his piece, just wanted to get the story more caught up.
I left it very vague for Parker and LdyPayne to figure out how they got Isolde out.
If needed, I can backtrack some Isolde dialogue and reactions to whatever you guys come up with, but she knows they are coming and will be ready for them, and eager to get out and get back to Reshelde and K'uavaen.
Please, feel free to carry on with the story as well, move them along to the next plot point and I'll catch up again.
And I PROMISE from the bottom of my heart, and swear by my Copper's grave that I will NOT let it linger for this long, ever again. I kicked myself every time I posted elsewhere, I beat myself up for the months that went by and this plot just sat here, accumulating dust. It was MY plot, I got all your characters wrapped up in it, and then just let it hang there forever... and I apologize profusely for my inadequacies and that I didn't push myself and muses sooner to get this done. I WILL be better about this, and finish the plot in a more timely manner now. First on my list when it's my turn, no other posts until this one is done. Just a few more posts and we can wrap this up and move onto more present times. }
This Intoxication Thrills Me,
I Only Pray It Doesn't Kill Me

Safryn ~* *~ Kitiara ~* *~ V'an ~* *~ Ay'li ~* *~ Elysia ~* *~ Daela ~ * *~ Omri'vis
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Weyrwoman || Wingsecond || Weyrling Asst. || Wingleader || Wingthird || Weyrling || Strikeleader

If You Want Something You've Never Had,
You Must Be Willing To Do Something You've Never Done.

#332500/#C1A00C | #8AA259 | #A8482A | #B69064 | #667A8C | #B72334/#C3C3D0 | #181D68
~ Character Tracker ~ | * Marks Tracker *
Parker
Site Admin
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him

Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:01 pm

Locke was skeptical if these men could do anything to really help them. If anything they would end up getting them caught or worse. He was looking them over as I'ent gave him his two marks on the suggestion of teaming. "I like the idea of them being lookouts. If guards come I'd rather they be the ones to make noise to warn us than just you or I doing it." He stated before he gave I'ent's back a soft pat of approval. He then moved over to the two rebellion fighters. A small discussion was had about where the men's friends were being held. The cells were all in the same general area, but these men were being held down the hall and to the left of where Isolde was. Locke told them they were on their own then, but the man pleaded and offered anything in return for their help. Against better judgment, Locke finally gives in and says they'll help, but on the expectation that they do exactly what they're told to do.

With their lookouts in place with orders given about what to do, Locke led I'ent down the corridor that led to the prison cells. Before reaching any of the occupied ones, he pulled I'ent to the side. "I don't know how much noise these rebels are going to make when we release them. Our first priority is to get Isolde out and safe, so here is my plan. We're both going to find Isolde. Once she is free, I want you to take her back the way we came and wait for me at the top of the stairs we took coming down here. I will go and release the rebels myself. Then, I'll come and join you two and we'll book it to Mouse's place. Got it?" Locke wasn't going to hear any argument either. It was too dangerous as it was and he wanted to make sure that Isolde got out safe and sound. He trusted I'ent fully that he would be able to see her safely out. Locke would tell the rebels a longer way to go to get to where their friends were. He hoped that if the guards became aware of any commotion it would be them, a larger group, than the three of them.

Sharp eyes kept a lookout for any movement along the line of cells they traveled through, he stopped at each one to look in and see if it was the correct one. Locke was sure there'd be at least one guard making a patrol, but so far he hadn't seen or heard them. Finally, they reach a particular cell. "Pst. Lady Isolde. Please, stay quiet, but we're here to get you out." Locke explained to her as he got out his thieves kit and made fast work of unlocking the door. They caught her up briefly, explained that K was helping to get Reshelde and that they'd be reunited soon, but Locke wanted to keep the chitchat to a minimum. He saw the two of them off with a promise to catch up shortly, then he headed in the opposite direction to free the rebels.

It was painfully easy to find the rebels as they weren't the most quiet group. Another reason why Locke was hoping to use them as a distraction of sorts. It took some convincing for them to believe that he was only there to get them free. Once he had their cell unlocked and all of their shackles off, he gave them the directions of where to go. The path would lead them away from the direction he'd be going to catch up with I'ent and Isolde. As Locke slipped away from them he shortly heard the sound of yelling. Apparently they'd run into the guard he knew had to be patroling. Quickly he moved away from the sound and back the way they came to meet up with I'ent and Isolde. He didn't encounter anyone on the way to the top of the stairs, which was a good thing. However, there was a nagging feeling deep in his gut that told him something wasn't right. It was a small feeling, but there none the less. It made him doubly cautious, but he managed to make it to where I'ent and Isolde was without problem. "Alright, let's get to Mouse's." Locke said and led them out of the prison.

Wraith, we're heading towards Mouse's. We have Isolde, she's safe. Tell Kent. Locke said. They have the daywher. They'll meet you at Mouse's. Wraith informed him back. That was excellent news and helped to eliviate some of the dread Locke had been feeling. "They have Reshelde. Let's hurry, but be careful."

It didn't take too long for them to make their way to The Bottoms and to Mouse's hovel. The crippled man allowed all of them in and the reunions began. Locke was more than relieved to see his love, untouched and safe. He pulled Kent in for an embrace and kiss before he asked them how their mission went and then filled him in on their side of things. After that he allowed K'uavaen and Isolde some time together before he spoke up. "Gather round guys. I'm sorry to cut things short, but we need to get moving on the slave ring." The next few minutes was spent talking about their strategy on how this was going to go down. Locke made sure everyone understood their part. He would enter first to take out the small implement of men the slavers would have. After that, he would get the others and together they would confront the conclave that would be meeting in an inner office. They would be slightly outnumbered, but as long as it was just the slave masters he was confident in their ability to take them down easily. Most of these men were rich slobs who counted on paid swords to do their fighting for them. "Isolde, I want you to take Reshelde and go to where the dragons are waiting. We'll keep in touch, but I'd rather you two not join us for this. I've mapped you a route that should keep both of you undercover on the way there. Just be sure to stay low and keep quiet." Neither of them were in shape to help with a fight.

Mouse wished them good luck as they headed out. It felt like it took longer than it did to finally arrive at the complex. The outside of the building was quiet and still, but the lights that shown through the windows told a different story. Locke led them to a hiding spot outside of the building and told them all to stay put before he slipped off into the building. All of his survellience told him that there was a total of six armed men watching the office during the meeting. There were more armed men, but they were in another part of the complex guarding the 'merchendise'. They'd be taken care of last. Slowly and methodically a shadow moved through the halls and took down the armed men. There was a moment of almost failure when one of them unexpectedly showed up where Locke wasn't expecting him to be, but a quick thrown dagger kept the alarm from being raised.

Locke made it back to the others then. "All clear. The only armed men should be down with the children. The office is unguarded."

(Ldy, let me know if I need to change anything. My brain wasn't fully into this, but I hope it works alright to get the story moved forward.)
Image Image Image Image Image
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Car'vis and Corentivis | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

.::..::..::..::..::..
PC Character Tracker | Marks Tracker | NPC Stash
LdyPayne

Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:55 pm

Gaining Locke's approval of his suggestion gave I'ent a sense of pride he hadn't experienced often in his life. Locke was fast becoming one person I'ent would do anything for and despite his uncertainty about his true feelings for the man one thing I'ent knew, he was totally loyal to him. It was the primary reason he was here to rescue a woman he didn't even know, a woman who was charged with a crime for all he knew she justly deserved. Fortunately I'ent wasn't all that driven by seeing justice done in a lawful way. Far as he was concerned the reasons Locke was helping Isolde's lover to break her out was to gain the man's help to stopping a serious of children slave rings. Slavery may be an acceptable thing in Walled Hold and most areas of the South but children being forced to do unspeakable things for sick degenerates deserved to be taken out.

Nodding agreement to Locke's plan I'ent realized he'll likely do whatever Locked asked of him simply because he felt he owned the man that much. Also, he saw Locke as somebody to look up for in a life he would otherwise spend thinking only of himself and Shireth's interests. Now at least he felt more than just one of many greenriders fighting Thread for Atricia Weyr, though he did pride himself for being a dragonrider and rising above the squalor of The Bottoms.

"Got it," he replied. I'ent didn't like the idea of being stuck with a woman while Locke went and freed some local rebels but he'll do it and keep Isolde safe till Locke's return. Once they were ready he followed Locke down into the dungeons, keeping alert and following the more experienced Locke in sneaking down where they needed to go. He kept a watch while Locke filled Isolde in on the plan and set her free. He gave her a nod and led the way way carefully back the way they came, angling off to find the stairs.

There was a moment he heard something ahead and signalled for Isolde to hold back. A few moments later the sound he heard moved off and Shimmer confirmed nobody laid in wait ahead. After that he continued on forward till they reached the stairs. He remembered a small store room just beyond and sent Shimmer in to make sure it was still empty. Knowing they had a safe place to hide should somebody come down this way I'ent settled in to wait for Locke. He didn't say much to Isolde, deciding minimal conversation was best till they were back at Mouse's. Besides he really didn't know what to say to the woman anyway.

Afer some time passed I'ent started to get anxious, worried something may have happened to Locke. He didn't hear any outcry nor did any reinforcements come rushing down the stairs. Just when he felt all was going well he heard a distance shout and tensed. Before he could think to send Shimmer off to check on Locke the man himself appeared, safe and sound. I'ent smiled and nodded but didn't give any other indication at how relieved he was the shout he heard had nothing to do with Locke. Most likely it was the rebels they helped and now provided a distraction to ensure they escaped.

Now that Locke had rejoined them I'ent fell back to let him take the lead. Once outside it was easy to let Shimmer take to the air and provide eyes above to watch for any pursuit. The point moonstone fancy flit was glad to be of use to I'ent and took her job seriously. Eventually they all arrived at Mouse's home without encountering any resistance. Lingering in the background I'ent watched as Isolde was reunited with her Daywher and K'auvaen and Locke and Kent made sure the other was unharmed. A part of him felt a bit envious to have that sort of bond with another. He cared for Locke but didn't think Locke felt as strong a bond, he had his friendship and trust which was more than enough for I'ent anyway.

As the couples reunited I'ent looked over at Mouse and nodded. He made some small talk with the crippled man till Locke called them together to prepare for the next stage of the night's activities. As always I'ent gave Locke his full attention so he understood the role he was to play. Once they were off he wondered if he should back Locke up in taking out the guards but decided against it. The Reaper fought alone and from what I'ent had seen of his skill Locke didn't need any help. Then they were once more waiting well Locke took care of things and I'ent was concerned. He stayed silent however and didn't even glance at Kent or K'auvaen, not wanting either to think he was worried.

In what felt like many Candlemarks but was likely barely a quarter Locke returned. One look at him and I'ent was confident he didn't take any injury. It was great to know their plans for this night were going so well with only a few minor snags.

ooc: Your post was perfect Parker. If anybody needs me to edit any of I'ents, let me know.
Kate

Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:00 am

As much as the blue rider wante dot just let himself think about Isolde and Reshelde, part of him knew it wasn’t any good. It wouldn’t be good if he wasn’t focused on the task at hand, and if he was being honest with himself, it was that focus that was allowing him to keep calm and not get all worked up over what they were doing. Of course, the other part of him just wanted to keep thinking about them, because then maybe, just maybe, everything would’ve fine. If he thought about them, they would find them and get them out of here without any trouble. With this being pretty much a life and death thing, he had better just get everything out of his mind except doing what the green rider said.

Frowning a bit as Kent told him to be quiet and stay out. While it made him a bit frustrated, he knew that it was best to listen to him, no matter how quickly he wanted to keep going forward. Kent knew more about this than he did, and he had promised Locke that he would go along with whatever the two of them said, and that was exactly what he was going to do. There was no way that he was going to be the one to screw this mission up.

When the green rider moved off, K’uavaen found himself holding his breath, as if just waiting for something bad to happen. Luckily, nothing bad happened, and he green rider reappeared. The blue rider lt out a breath that he hadn’t really known he had been holding as Kent handed him a bag, telling him to give one to each hound. Now the man knew better than to question it, but there was a moment where he wore a confused look on his face, trying to figure out just what the other man was talking about. Nodding, he had already figured that he would have to keep him quiet, and he planned on doing it so that this would succeed.

The man followed Kent, holding his breath again as the door made a bit of noise, and then releasing it when it seemed that no one really noticed. Kent motioned him to the end of the corridor and he quickly went, making sure to give each hound one thing as the greenrider had instructed. For a moment he almost turned away at the soft growls, but once the hounds saw the meat, the growling quickly ceased. Moving down the line he gave a piece to each hound, and when he reached the end, he couldn’see all that well.

Then, a familiar voice came into his head and a grin quickly split his features. Quickly he moved as close to the cage as he could. Yes Reshelde, it's really me. I never thought I'd see you again either, but you know I couldn't NOT come find you guys.

As the daywher started pulling on his chain just bit more, K'uavaen quickly tried to get him to relax. We are going to get you out of here, you just have to be patient for a few minutes longer. Someone else went to get the keys. The blue rider did not move from his spot though, knowing that this would probably help the daywher stay calm. While they waited, dark eyes looked over the grey, and a frown quickly made it's way onto his features. Reshelde looked nothing like he did the last time the blue rider and seen him. He looked terrible. Hopefully, getting him out of here and getting him back with Isolde would change that pretty quickly.

At the sound of the footsteps, and the daywher's soft growl, K'uavaen quickly turned and saw that it was Kent coming to them, and he motioned to Reshelde that it was ok. As Kent spoke, the blue rider nodded. "Well, the important thing is that you got them, and that's all the matters now"

As they began trying the keys, dark eyes kept an eye out for danger, and an eye on the daywher, who was getting very anxious now. Moving as close as he could without being in the way, he gently laid a hand on him, trying to be reassuring, letting him know that it was all going to work out. Then he was free, and after a moment, he almost demanded to be taken to Isolde. Before the blue rider could say anything, the green rider spoke up, and K just nodded in agreement. The daywher would have to be patient just a little bit longer if this was going to work out.

Then they were off again, taking care to be quiet, yet also make their way as quickly as they could. When Kent stopped, dark eyes shot him a questioning look until he explained what he was doing, and then K just held up his hands and didnt even bother questioning it. Reshelde nudged his hand, and spoke, and a smile instantly appeared on the man's face. Good, this was going just about as good as he could hope for.

They stopped, and waited now. To the blue rider it seemed like forever before they came into view finally, and went to their meeting place. Once they were all safe, the reunion began. K'uavaen had let Reshelde see Isolde first, and then he slowly made his way to her, eyes slightly misty. "Isolde. I didnt think I'd ever see you again." Gently he wrapped his arms around her, pulling her just bit closer to him, and leaning in to gently place a kiss on her lips. "I'm glad you are safe now."

Unfortunately, the reunion didnt last too long, and then the next part of the plan began. While the blue rider was not exactly keen on this part of the plan, he had promised Locke that he would do whatever he could, so this was what needed to be done. Besides, knowing that Reshelde and Isolde would be safe with the dragons made him feel a bit better as they separated.

Quickly they moved to the next part of their operation. Staying silent they gathered around, and Locke moved off to take care of the guards. The blue rider was all set to follow, until he realized that no one else was going with him. Settling down, he just waited with the rest, dark eyes glancing at Locke when he came back before moving off once again, finding himself hoping that everything just kept going as smoothly.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Fawkes
Junior Admin

Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:28 am

He's real Isolde, K'uavaens' really here. I'm free, and the others are coming for you. came the voice of her faithful friend, his tone soft yet hopeful, as if spooked that by even saying it 'aloud' would ruin all their chances. At the sound of his voice in her ears and the words he spoke, Isolde could feel her world crumble down around her, and tears came unbidden to her eyes. Reshi was free. She could almost feel the cobblestones beneath padded feet and her heart sang in relief, knowing that no matter what happened to her now, Reshelde was free and could live on.

The woman sank down to the floor of her cell, using the rags of her dress to dab at her eyes, though it did little to wipe the grunge from her cheeks either and likely only added to it. They were coming for her too, she wouldn't have to live in the dark anymore, in this dismal squalor, and just the thought of a real bath, was enough to make those tears finally fall. She didn't know how K'uavaen managed it, what tricks he had to pull, who he had to know in order to break her out of this prison, but to the goddesses above and beyond, she thanked them and whispered vows of devotion and faith she hadn't spoken in Turns.

All was quiet in the cells, save for the cough or shuffle of one of the inmates, and so to those ears tuned to the silence, the softest scuff of footfalls approaching was enough to draw her from her reverie. A guard would never tread so lightly, and the dayhandler began to rise to her feet, ready to meet whomever it was that was coming for her. The man who appeared at the door of her cell was someone who looked like he'd done this before, speaking to her in hushed tones and she wanted to tell him that she already knew why he was here; yet it was so good to hear someone call her a Lady again, and speak to her with even a hint of respect that she remained quiet while he worked the lock.

When the door finally opened, and her freedom lay just on the other side of it, there was just the briefest moment of hesitation, more wondering if her legs were going to work with so much weight upon her. "Thank you, gentlemen." She said softly, her throat scratchy and dry but she did her best to convey her everlasting gratitude in those simple words and chocolate eyes glanced from their leader to the others and gave a nod to each as she stepped free of her cell for the last time. Their leader put another in charge of her then, and he separated from them to move further into the prison and she looked after him for a moment. She would pray for his safety, though something told her he could not have come this far only to have one more excursion into the labyrinth of cells to take him down.

Instead, she dutifully followed the one put in charge of her own safety, and whenever he paused, so too did she. Bare feet made naught a sound on the cold stone floors as she stepped carefully behind him until they made it to was she hoped was a safe waiting place in the small storeroom. Taking cover behind a crate, Isolde crouched down low and practically hugged her legs to her chest for a moment, wondering what would happen if they were caught. They would throw her back in that cell, or worse, and she didn't want to ever go back in there... A chill ran down her spine and she shivered, running her hands up bare legs, more as a comfort than anything to keep her warm.

The young man with her wasn't much of a talker, and that was fine by her at the moment as well, left to her own thoughts about Reshelde, K'uavaen, about leaving Walled and never looking back. All of those dreams that had given her hope before were suddenly coming back to flood her mind and her heart once more and part of her could barely contain it. Biting her lip, she kept the tears at bay, kept her breathing steady and her body from shivering. She was Lady Isolde, she had more control than to breakdown before she was even out of the prison...

When the rogue returned, the other man visibly seemed to relax, and she found herself doing the same without even realizing she'd been worried. They wasted no time when he was back though, and despite the commotions behind them on the other side of the prison, they made their escape through the way these two had come in. They emerged into the Hold and though there were so many thoughts running through her mind, she was quiet as they worked their through what had once been her Home, her life and sanctuary, and now even the walls of the Hold were still her prison. The leader was taking them someplace, a Mouse's home? And from the looks of it, they were traveling toward The Bottoms, which seemed almost fitting given the name. Yet it mattered little to her, because she knew that wherever this man was taking her, Reshelde and K'uavaen would be there.

As they ventured deeper into The Bottoms, Isoldes' anticipation grew and when the group came to a small hovel and paused just outside, she felt her heart stop with them. From behind an overturned cart across the street, came a familiar bleat and soon after followed the lean form of the gray daywher, practically sprinting toward the woman and Isolde felt her whole self grow lighter. Reshi! She cried in her mind, and she barely had to take a step before the daywher nearly collided with her and she sank to her knees to wrap her arms around his gaunt frame. My Isolde. The hunter purred, nuzzling his nose into the crook of her neck and pressing the rest of him as much against her as he could, practically pushing her off her feet in his attempts to be as close to her as possible. Never again my love, never again shall we be apart that long. Every day, beside you, together until the end. The woman vowed in a whisper of devotion to the daywher, and his croons and rumbles were all the answer she needed.

Stepping up after the daywher was another face she thought she'd never see once more, and as K'uavaen stopped before her, Reshelde seemed to catch the hint and relinquished his hold on the woman, if only just for a moment. "K'uavaen..." She whispered softly as she rose to her feet once more, chocolate eyes growing watery at the mere sight of the bluerider. Isolde wished she could have been at least a little more presentable before seeing him again, a comb through the tangle that was her hair, a towel to wipe the dirt and grime from her body, and even a burlap sack would be cleaner than the rags she wore. And yet, there he was, smiling at her as if she was still the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen.

Those arms moved to wrap around her, his voice in her ears and once more Isolde felt her foundations shake beneath her. Tears sprang to her eyes and this time, she couldn't stop them from falling. This was real. He was here, Reshi was here, she was free... they could leave, and be together again... It was a dream come true. I... didn't think so either... I told you to leave me, and yet I'm so thankful you didn't... Oh K." The woman stammered quietly between tears, her own arms wrapping around the man's waist and pulling him in closer, holding onto him like a rock in a storm, as if letting him go meant that this illusion might shatter into a million pieces and she'd be back in that cell once more.

Several moments lasted in a comfortable silence, the wonder of being held in those strong arms and letting herself melt against him. She was a waif, thin and bony where curves had once been voluptuous, and yet when she was with him she felt whole again, could remember a life that felt so long ago and she allowed herself to be swept away for the time being. It was a moment that couldn't last forever though, and they both knew it, so when Locke spoke up once more, she clung to K for those last few seconds that she could.

"Isolde, I want you to take Reshelde and go to where the dragons are waiting. We'll keep in touch, but I'd rather you two not join us for this. I've mapped you a route that should keep both of you undercover on the way there. Just be sure to stay low and keep quiet." The rogue said, handing her the map and for a heartbeat or two, she didn't reach out to take it. She didn't want to leave K'uavaen, to let go of him and doe eyes turned to look up at the bluerider practically pleading with him not to go, not to leave her... but this must have been the promise he made in order to enlist this rogues' help to free her. The dayhandler had a feeling there would be no arguing with this man, the others followed him without question, and they'd come this far and her freedom was so close at hand.

Isolde took the map from him and nodded reluctantly. "I'll go, but you promise to keep him safe for me. Didn't come this far just to have him killed on a fools' errand." The woman said, her voice taking on a bit of heat and resentment for just the barest moment before she remembered who she was talking to, the man who'd freed her. "I just... couldn't bear the thought..." She said quieter and leaned back against K'uavaen once more, her hand curling against his tunic. "Come back to me." Isolde pleaded with the bluerider, embracing him once more and pressed a promising kiss to his lips, a promise of many more when he returned, safe and sound.

The dayhandler had to pry herself away from K'uavaen when the time came, and she leaned against Reshelde, the gray quite content to be at her side forever more. She couldn't bear to watch, or look away, as the group left the dwelling and she didn't know when she'd see K'uavaen again. The map lay crumpled in her hand and she finally opened it, reading the street names and noticing landmarks to guide her way through the Living Ward and back to the rogue's entrance. Isolde sighed softly as she resigned herself to leaving, yet the thought of going to Synsith helped to soothe her uneasiness.

The crippled man who apparently lived in this hovel had the kindness to at least offer her a blanket before she left, claiming he had one to spare though she saw only the one fine blanket. Part of her didn't want to take it, to leave him with what meager possessions he had, and yet another part of her knew it would be cold out there in the dark and she would be thankful for the blanket later. With a grateful nod toward Mouse, she wrapped the cloth around her shoulders and pulled it close like a cloak and Reshelde stepped up to her side, looking eagerly at the door. As they left the hovel, she glanced back over her shoulder to the crippled man, and there was something about the look in his eyes... guilt? shame? ... It unnerved her for a moment, but then he looked away and closed the door behind her.

The gray daywher padded quietly beside his mistress, thankful to be with her once more and yet knowing they were out of the weeds yet and they kept to the shadows as much as possible, paused at every noise they heard, and crept slowly yet surely through the Hold. Isolde followed the map as best she could, detouring only once when she'd run across a patrol that had decided to kick their heels up for a bit and the pair had to skirt around them before finding the path once more. She was unpracticed at such ways of stealth, but when the need of survival lay heavy on your shoulders, anyone can become a quick learner and use their heads to endure.

In the end, they emerged from the Hold unnoticed and unscathed, dread and worry slipping from their shoulders as they hurried for the cover of the jungles. Relief washed over her, the feeling of soft grass and dirt beneath her feet was almost intoxicating in those first few moments, but she would have plenty of time to savor the little things she'd taken for granted. They hurried on, following the route Locke had laid out for her until she heard the tell tale sound of a wings rustling and she came upon the clearing that housed the dragons and stumbled through the underbrush. "Synsith!" The woman practically cried out as she hurried toward the pale blue, barely even registering the three other dragons that lay close by.

Woman and daywher would find a small piece of solace as they waited in the embrace of the pale blue. Isolde sat with her back against the larger beast, Reshelde resting with his head in her lap, and all they were missing was the man who'd made it possible. "Tell me everything you can Syn... please, let me know he's okay." The woman said softly, curling her fingers around Reshi's head knobs and leaning further into the dragons' warmth while they waited for the others to return.

As soon as Locke had appeared in the alleyway, Kent dropped his guard and rose to his feet. The gray daywher took that as a sign that it was all safe and bolted from their hiding place to reunite with his bonded, and the bluerider was soon to move after him. A soft sort of smile crept over his lips at the sight of such a reunion, but there was another he was looking forward to more. They hadn't been apart for nearly as long as Isolde and K'uavaen, but it was still a relief to see the wraithrider in one piece and Kent went to him and embraced his husband the moment he could.

The moment their kiss ended, the question was on both of their lips, how it went. Locke asked after the kennels and Reshelde, and the greenrider filled him in on their success, assuring him that most of the blood upon him was not his own, a minor scrape across his bicep, but nothing that would slow him down in the slightest. From what the chimerarider said, their end had an unexpected yet useful distraction and they'd rescued Isolde without incident or alarms raised. Kent was grateful to hear they'd both managed to pull it off without anyone the wiser, but how long would that buy them? Until the next shift change at least, so when morning came they had best be far away from Walled.

That meant, they had to be quick during this next phase of the night and Kent was both dreading and looking forward to it. He wasn't entirely keen on any plan that involved The Reaper, and yet to put a sizable dent in the slave trade that was always a threat over the heads of orphans like himself, Kent was glad to do it. And so, when Locke called them back together again, the greenrider was apt to listen and quicker to follow suit, and they all moved together from shadow to shadow through the alleys of The Bottoms.

The tension and apprehension he felt seemed to take it's toll on his relations with time and it seemed to take forever for them to get through the maze of the underbelly of the Hold. When they finally reached the complex the slavers were housed in, Locke pointed out some cover for them and told them to wait. Kent narrowed his eyes at the wraithrider, not intending to be left behind while The Reaper went gallivanting off again, and for the briefest moment the greenrider moved after him. One look though and Kent paused in his steps, a hiss pressed through his teeth as he knew there was no argument and instead he would have to wait with the others while Locke worked better and quicker alone. The redhead just wished that sometimes, this time, Locke would let someone watch his back for him.

While they waited, the greenrider turned to K'uavaen, and gestured to the crossbow that he'd given the man earlier. "Might want to get that ready, gonna need it soon. You good I'ent?" He asked of the other greenrider, making sure the young man had everything he needed for a fight. And then, all they could do was wait.... He worried, up until the moment the wraithrider appeared again and ushered them all forward, assuring them the guards have been taken care of. "I could have helped." Was the faint whisper that escaped him as he brushed past the rogue and slipped into the building. Just beyond the door already lay a strewn guard, evidence of how well The Reaper could handle himself, yet Kent held his daggers tighter in hand and glanced to K'uavaen, to make sure the man was steady enough to face what was coming next.

Safryn ~* *~ Kitiara ~* *~ V'an ~* *~ Ay'li ~* *~ Elysia ~* *~ Daela ~ * *~ Omri'vis
Weyrwoman || Wingsecond || Weyrling Asst. || Wingleader || Wingthird || Weyrling || Strikeleader

#332500/#C1A00C | #8AA259 | #A8482A | #B69064 | #667A8C | #B72334/#C3C3D0 | #181D68
Parker
Site Admin
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:00 pm

Warning: Violence
"I could have helped."

The Reaper gave a swift look at his husband. He knew that Kent wanted to help, be there to watch his back, but he would only worry. He still didn't like that he had come with them to help with any part of this mission. For a second he pulled his mask off of his face and did the same to Kent to give him a swift kiss. "I was fine, dear heart. Most of them were half asleep." It was a lie, but one of love to make Kent worry less. Still, either way, The Reaper hadn't had much of a problem.

Silently they slipped into the complex, aware of the now corpses laying on the ground bleeding. Locke was not fond of killing, after the trauma of his last big mission in Walled, he had his demons that liked to bug him still from time to time. However, as broke as that had left him, he was able to realize the differences in what he did then, to what they were doing now. Children's lives were at sake...that was bigger than his demons.

The hallway was dim, he'd made sure to turn them down when he first went in, but soon enough the men conducting their evil business would soon be aware of their impending fate and then it would be all over. They could rescue the children and head home. Locke and Kent would worry about the children after that. He did not expect K'uavaen, Isolde, or I'ent to take any of them. He would find them homes...or keep a few. It wasn't as if Kent would object to more.

Silently the shadows crept forward until the mumbled voices of men could be heard. For all Walled was a matriarchy, most of the people in there were men. Not that it mattered to Locke, man or woman, he'd stop them all. Locke paused them all at the door and put a finger to his mouth. They to be quiet here while he picked the lock. Once this door was open then they would have to be ready. Steady hands worked the lock, though his breath still hitched at the soft sound of the click.

"Everyone ready? There are still some guards in here, I can't say for a hundred percent, but I will bet my life on it. Let I'ent and I to take out the guards, you two take out the merchants. I'ent, go left, I'll go right. K'uavaen, you go left, Kent you go right." He stated and then proceeded to explain to them the layout of the room. Yes, he obviously wanted Kent on his side so he could protect him. Plus, between the four of them, he and I'ent were more skilled with their blades. "On the count of three..."

"One..."

"Two..."

"Three..."

The door burst inward to the sound of indignant cries. Locke had been right about the guards. There were two on each side of the elongated table where six men sat with papers between them and deep in discussion. Locke descended upon the first guard on the right, a dagger burying itself into the man's skull like a sheath. The second was far harder to take as he was more prepared. One long dagger went up against one short sword. The sounds of metal rang off each other. Some of the merchants were pulling their own daggers, but they were not as skilled as fighters as the guards. Just as he knew, Locke's attention was diverted to Kent for a moment in worry, but it was enough of a second of lost time that the guard's sword managed to bite into his forearm. That was all the man's blade was allowed as he managed to parry the next blow. Locke was good at getting into people's reaches, and that was what he did as his dagger went deep in the man's heart.

The Reaper then turned to help the others with the merchants. With all of the commotion, though, the guards he knew were further down the complex where the pins were kept came to investigate what was going on. Locke turned his attention to them. From the few glances he spared at the others, they all seemed to be holding their own. Their deed would truly be done soon and then they could go rescue the children and get out of this place knowing the world was a little brighter for it.

(Sorry, massive post. Wanted to keep things moving. Hope that's alright. Can change things if need be. If someone wants to go ahead and end this part so they can get the children. Wifey, I'm sure you'd like to start the last scene whenever we get there.)
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Car'vis and Corentivis | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

.::..::..::..::..::..
PC Character Tracker | Marks Tracker | NPC Stash
LdyPayne

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:43 pm

I'ent could tell Kent had wanted to go with Locke, a part of him wanted to go to but he knew better than argue the point when they were this far in the plan. He trusted Locke to know what he was capable of handling and everybody knew The Reaper was legendary with the dagger. Not once did the tales speak of The Reaper ever faulting and nothing I'ent had seen from past work with Locke had him doubt the stories. It didn't mean he didn't worry however and the wait was endless.

When Kent suggested K'uavaen be ready with his crossbow I'ent wasn't surprised he was the next one Kent checked in on. He gave a short nod as he patted the helt of the sword he wore at his side. He also had a few daggers which he could throw fairly well. His skills with the blade had improved with frequent practicing both in the Sparring Circle and during lessons with Locke. He was no where near as good as the Reaper but I'ent was confident in his ability to do plenty of damage. He also had Shimmer which would be quite useful as a distraction.

Watching Kent and Locke kiss I'ent worried having his husband here would distract Locke. He didn't mention anything as there really wasn't anything he could do about it now. Kent was here and he had a feeling his fellow greenrider wouldn't sit this fight out even if he suggested it. There were still plenty of guards to deal with once they reached the area the children were being held.

He followed Locke into the complex, only noting the bodies enough to avoid tripping over them or slipping on spilt blood. I'ent had seen dead bodies before but that didn't mean he was comfortable around them. It wasn't enough to distract him from the mission at hand however nor would it prevent him from killing. I'ent just never actually killed anybody or had any need to so far. It was something he knew he could do however, one didn't learn to survive without developing the potential to kill to ensure one's own survival. In the past it was I'ent's habit to flee instead of fighting but now he had people he cared about relying on him plus the lives of who knew how many children about to be forced into a horrible lifestyle. Slaves in the wealthier parts of Walled Hold were treated quite well from what he heard but that wasn't always the case in The Bottoms.

I'ent nodded when Locke instructed him to take the guards on the left and he drew his blade. As soon as Locke burst open the doro and headed for the guards on the right, I'ent charged the two on the left. Shimmer appeared then and flew into the face of one of the guards which kept him busy long enough for I'ent to close with the other. The guard was skilled and it took longer than I'ent liked for him to break through his defenses and score a killing blow. The guard went down and I'ent turned to face the other, mentally calling Shimmer away so the fancy flit wouldn't get injured.

Despite having several scratched from Shimmer's claws the guard wasn't slowed down at all and I'ent found himself hard pressed to defend himself. He was aware of the sounds of fighting all around him as Locke dealt with the other guards and the rest faced the Merchants. He did his best not to be distracted however as he had no plans to get himself killed the first serious mission he was on. The guard pressed his attack and forced I'ent to give ground or risk being skewered in the belly but instead of going straight back I'ent slipped to the back and side and manage to surprise the guard with his speed. This was where all the practicing with Locke paid off as I'ent managed to slip his blade under his opponents guard and score a good hit.

The guard jumped back with a cry, blood already staining his tunic where I'ent had stabbed. Not wanting to give the guard time to recover I'ent pressed with several more attacks and scored another hit then a final blow which dropped the guard to the ground. Breathing heavily I'ent glanced around to see how the battle faired with the others. He saw Locke had already finished his guards and was heading forward to cut off a group of guards rushing in from the back. I'ent then glanced at the others to see how they were doing with the merchants, ready to jump in should they need his help. If not he'll rush forward to back Locke.

ooc: Feel free to move I'ent to help whichever group could use him to wrap this part up.
Kate

Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:26 am

For a few moments, the two lovers were almost stuck in a dream. It didn’t seem real to the blue rider either. After all the time he had spent trying to find legal means, and then finally resorting to something a bit more drastic, it just felt like even though it was finally here, that it was still just a dream. The sound of her voice, one he thought he would never hear again, brought him back from thinking that this was just some dream.

Gently, he touched her face, a small smile on his own as he shook his head. ”I know what you told me, but there was no way I could just not do anything. I couldn't just let it go. I knew I had to try, and Im certainly glad I did." Of course he knew he probably sounded bit stupid or something saying that, but it was certainly the truth. While he blushed just a bit out of embarrassment, he didn't say anything else. Honestly, he just wanted to hold her, knowing that no amount of words would be able to truly describe how he felt, or probably how she felt either. Arms held her protectively until Locke spoke once more.

Seeing Isolde's eyes, a sharp pain coursed through the dark haired man. She didn't want him to go, and he really didn't want to either, but he didn't have a choice. K'uavaen just hoped that Isolde could understand that. Once he was back, he would explain that he had agreed to whatever he had to go get her out of there, although part of him figured she probably already knew that.

As she leaned back against him, he kissed the top of her head, moving his hand to gently touch her cheek. Then her voice rang in his ears, and her lips were on his. Gently he kissed her back, giving her a soft smile. "I will. I just got you back, and I don't plan on loosing you again, ever." Of course by loosing her, he also meant he didnt plan on letting her loose him either.

Isolde moving away from him and down the path Locke had told her, kept replaying in the blue rider's mind as the three waited in cover while the rider took care of the guards. When he heard Kent's voice, but attention became focused on the green rider, and he pushed the other thoughts out his mind. Looking at the crossbow he had received earlier. Nodding, he quickly started getting it ready, a slight frown on his face.

Once Locke came back, he took a deep breath, frowning slightly more now as he followed them, hoping he wouldn't actually have to use this weapon, but knowing his luck probably wouldn't be that good at the same time. Taking another deep breath, they reached a door, and Locke spoke to the three of them once again. As he received his orders, all he could do was nod, not really trusting himself to speak.

As the door was bashed open, the blue rider rushed in as well, and immediately went to the left. It didn’t take long for him to become involved in a battle. For as long as he could, he tried not to use his weapon. If he had to, he would, but maybe there would be a way to incapacitate the guard without actually killing him? If there was, he intended to find it.

Briefly he lost his concentration and he felt a searing pain on his arm. Quickly he reached for it, just out of a reaction. He dodged the next blow and tried to ge5 his focus back. Now that the guard was using his weapon to, K used the cross bow to block it. It soon became clear that he wasn’t going to be able to win this without using his weapon. But maybe the crossbow wasn’t the best thing for close combat like this. Luckily he had packed a small knife in his boot when he had left.

Bending down, he took it out, and now he was ready to really fight. His hand grasped the hilt of his blade and after catching the guard off his guard, he managed to land a few blows, before finally landing one that left the man unable to get up.

For a moment, the rider just stood there, staring at the body, not sure what he had just done. Had he really just killed a man? His hand started shaking and he almost dropped the knife before he managed to get ahold of himself and go to help everyone else. Thinking about it would do him no good now. The sooner he he helped them, the sooner this would be over, and then he could get back to Isolde. That’s all he wanted to concentrate on now was getting back to her.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Fawkes
Junior Admin

Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:20 pm

The greenrider rushed in with the others, moving to take down the first merchant he could find, the slavers standing little chance against dual blades that spun with ferocity and precision. First one, and then another went down, and though he kept a keen eye on his friends, his foes required more of his focus and Kent wasted no effort in doing what they came here to do. There was a sweet feeling that fueled his actions, a vengeance for his own past, the burn of hate for what they were doing to those children, and his blades would not be stopped until the last of them lie dead at their feet.

When the deed was done, the four of them stood with bodies strewn and slumped about the room and blood dripped from their blades. Kents' gaze immediately shot toward Locke and gave the man a once over to make sure there were no grievous injuries before he even began to feel for his own. His arm stung from his previous encounter, and along his ribs lay a new shallow gash, and another across his thigh, but once again nothing that would keep him from completing their mission. "I'm fine." He said softly to the wraithrider, and then glanced at the other two dragonriders with them, making sure I'ent and K'uavaen were able to continue as well.

It seemed they'd only sustained minor injuries and each looked willing to see this through and Kent turned back to Locke and gave a nod to lead them further into the keep. The four of them walked without hesitation then, still mindful of any surprises that may lay in store, but confident that most were already taken care of. As they emerged into the room where the children were kept in pens and cages, Kent took the lead with a soft and calm step and a voice more motherly than likely anyone else could have mustered right now. "Shhhh. It's going to be alright now, we've come to help you all." He started, moving into the room as Locke began to unlock the doors of their confines with the keys found on one of the guards.

"Those mean slavers and guards wont be able to hurt you or anyone else anymore, I promise. We've come from a wonderful place where you can be free, and be able to play and laugh with other children." The greenrider continued, crouching down to embrace one of the released children, smiling sweetly at the ragged looking thing and stroking his hand through thick hair. He spoke to all them, though his gaze glittered for the one before him. "We'll get you home, get you cleaned up and wearing some real clothes, and put a hot meal in your bellies every night before sleeping in a feather bed. Do you like the sounds of that?" Kent asked, and the child in his grasp gave a meek nod and then clung tighter to the greenrider as more and more began to flock around him.

K'ten continued on in a similar fashion, speaking softly and sweetly to the children as Locke freed them and the others kept watch. More and more little bodies pressed against him, but there were a few who kept their distance, the older ones who were leery of such promises that had been made to them before. "I promise you're safe now, there are dragons waiting outside the Hold to take you away from here and you never have to come back, never have to suffer at their hands anymore. " The redheaded man said, glancing up at the older ones who scrutinized him and the other riders around them. He didn't blame them for being wary, and they had every right to be, in time they would believe though, he had faith.

"We just have to do one more thing though, and it's going to be hard, but stay with us and we'll take care of you, okay?" Kent started again, looking over all the little faces that stared back at him. There must have been ten, maybe twelve children here and for a moment he wondered how they were going to carry them all back, and care for them at Atricis without garnering the notice of anyone else. First, they would get out of the Hold, then they'd figure out the rest of it, these children were too precious to argue over and Kent would see his promises fulfilled. "Now, we need you all to be very, very quiet as we lead the way, okay? If we run into trouble, you hunker down and wait for one of us to tell it's okay, and then we hurry through alright? We'll get outside the Hold, and into the forest where our dragons are waiting for us. My own Awahith is going to be so pleased to meet you all, I can already feel her rumbling happily in my mind. She's a darling green who will be mother to you all, I promise. We'll get you out of here, and we'll take you Home." Kent finished and embraced one of the other children, laying a tender kiss upon the messy head of hair.

The little ones pressed against Kent as he rose back to his feet, and the greenrider gave Locke a wry sort of grin and glanced down at the slew of children they'd just 'adopted'. Even the older ones seemed to acquiesce to the dragonriders, and to them the greenrider gave a gentle nod and smile of thanks. "We'll need your help to make sure the others stay safe, alright? You're older and wiser and know what's out there, so keep watch and let us know if you see or hear anything, okay?" He asked of the older ones, knowing that sometimes to gain their approval was to give them a responsibility he knew they could handle, and it seemed to do the trick as one or two gave him a nod in return instead of stoically standing there like the last one.

"Alright everyone, time to go then. Come along now, quiet as a crawler and keep to the shadows as much as you can. We'll be outside in no time at all and then we'll get you all cleaned and fed, and resting in feather beds." The greenrider promised as he began to usher them all together now and then looked up at Locke to lead the once more. After Locke went K'uavaen and Kent with the children mingled around them, and I'ent brought up the rear guard. Many footsteps were hard to keep quiet, especially with a cough or two heard from one of the children, but in all, they were being as silent as they could as the group moved through the complex and toward the courtyard that would lead them out.

Silence wouldn't have helped anyway as Locke opened the door into the courtyard and the group moved through the doorway, it was clear as to why this had all gone so easily. Before they could get much further, a dark shape stepped out into their path and the ominous shade was soon joined by several others. As their eyes adjusted, the sigil of the Justicars became visible upon the first man's garb, and upon a select few among the number that cut them off from the rest of The Bottoms. A squad of Legionnaires were behind the Justicars, all them armed to the teeth and wearing armor that would not be so easily penetrated as the guards and slavers within. They had been prepared, they had been waiting, and the dragonriders and children had just walked right into their trap.

"It's been turns, Reaper. You should have stayed away. I've always said that your ego will be your downfall and...well...here we are. This ends tonight. If you don't wish your friends harmed, then give yourself up. The others will be given a more lenient fate." Said the first Justicar, stepping forward into the light and Kent recognized that voice, that face.... Jarken. His gaze shot to Locke, The Reaper, and for a brief moment he was angry at the wraithrider for tempting his fate with the Justicar far too much, and too often, and now look. Hadn't he warned him away from Jarken? One too many times... and here they were.

"Don't you dare do it Locke." He heard himself saying in a hushed voice to the wraithrider. He was mad now, but he wasn't a fool and there would be time enough later when they got out of here to tell Locke how he'd told him this would happen. "We should run, there are too many of them to fight." Yet even as he said so, those daggers were pulled from their sheath once more and Kent stepped in front of the children, ready to protect them with his life if it came to that. A glance to the sides shown that I'ent held the same sort of grim determination, and even the bluerider stood beside them, though he didn't seem quite as eager for a show down.

The longer they stood there, the harder it was to avoid a confrontation and Kent would never be sure who fired the first shot, but the sound of a twang and the whistle of a bolt flying was the catalyst that sent them into chaos. Legionnaires leapt forward with swords in hand, and Justicars seemed to aim all toward one person in particular and Kent's eyes widened as they converged on Locke. "I'ent!" He cried out, gesturing to the other greenrider to be the back up that Locke needed, while he and K'uavaen would fend off the Legionnaires and keep the children safe. A sword flew out at him and he stumbled back just in time for it to swipe harmlessly past his face, but now he knew he needed to focus.

The fight that ensued, would be one that The Bottoms would sing about for Turns to come, for the glory and honor of the brave, of the sacrifices made for the betterment of the slave children, of The Reaper and his men and how they fought against the tyranny of the Justicars and the Legion. They were outnumbered, out manned and under armored, but still the dragonriders persisted, fought for what they believed in, fought for what was right and just. The Law had failed these children, but The Reaper would not.

Kent had managed to take down a trio of the Legionnaires through what he felt was sheer will and miracles, but he could feel his muscles tiring as the fourth pressed in on him. The children had managed to scatter, finding themselves a cubby or hole to hide in while the fighting went on and yet Kent knew they were close by and he fought for them. Blades raised to meet the falling sword and caught them in a cross and he held fast against them, taking the brief moment of opportunity to glance around himself at any of the children who might be close by. There was one, ducking down beside some fallen rumble, and they had a managed to snag a cross bow off one of the bodies nearby. The sword slid free and Kent released his arms, poised for another strike and ready to parry as his gaze slid back to the Legionnaire before him.

The armored man grunted and grimaced as he stepped into his next swing, Kent standing his ground until the last moment. Just as the blade swiped toward him, the greenrider moved swiftly and spun out of reach and around to the side of the Legionnaire, daggers seeking blood. With the mans' arms' otherwise occupied, Kents' blade sank into the vulnerable space beneath his arm and slid into the man's chest cavity until it could go no further. He could feel the Legionnaire already beginning to sink against him as the man took what would be his last breath, yet something else caught the greenrider by surprise.

A sudden pain seized him, rising from his abdomen and the shock of it seemed to take a moment to register as his whole body went still for the time being. Kent slid his blade free of the Legionnaires chest, and the man crumpled at his feet, though the greenrider paid him no more heed as his gaze fell to the bolt that protruded from his gut. Blood already began to well around the projectile that had firmly lodged itself into his side, and fingers seemed to only numbly realize as they touched the seeping blood, as if making sure it was his own. But... where had it come from?

Eyes darted up to find a child like face, wide eyed and frightened looking back at him, the crossbow quivering in such small hands. Kents' gaze softened from bewilderment to something almost piteous... and then he sank to his knees, the pain taking hold and the inevitable beginning to blur the edges of his vision. The child screamed in horror and ran toward the greenrider, the crossbow still clutched out of desperation. "No no no! I'm sorry! I didn't..." The words ended in a blubbering sob of tears as the child practically threw themselves at Kent, wrapping thin arms around him. "Please be okay, be okay please!" The little one sobbed and the greenrider mustered up what strength he had left to return the embrace, though his voice was laced with a hiss of pain. "I'm okay..." He lied to the child, knowing full well he was lying, but he wouldn't show it, wouldn't allow the children to give up hope.

Kent clutched at the bolt, fingers twined around it and pressing hard against his gut as if trying to stem the flow of blood between his fingers. It was pointless, he knew it was, for a shot like this, to such a vulnerable spot, unless there was a trained Healer to tend to him here and now, he wouldn't live to see the outside world once more. "Go... hide. It'll all be over soon." He whispered to the child, shrugging them off and motioning with his chin to run, and the child slowly released the greenrider, sobbing and sniffling, watery eyes watching Kent as he began to back up. For the childs' sake, Kent kept a smile on his face, kept up the pretenses and smiled through the pain, tried to hide the worst of the blood until the child had scrambled away.

It was excruciating, and the moment he could show it, Kent let out of a groan of agony and slumped onto his side. Awa... I... He started, his mind beginning to reach out for the dappled green and the moment they connected, she could feel his pain, his inevitably, and the green dragon let out a shrill cry from their clearing in the forest. Awahith hastily dropped any grudge she had against Shireth, or love she had for Wraith, what mattered most to her was dying and Faranth be damned if she wasn't going to go to him. The small green dragon growled in defiance at any who tried to stop her and she threw herself into the air just high enough to be clear of the trees and then blinked away between.

The arrival of the dragon certainly did not go unnoticed by their friends, or foes, as Awahith's form appeared overhead with a reckless abandon and dove down into the embattled courtyard. Legionnaires and Justicars alike were caught by surprise and several ducked, expecting the green to lay waste to them, but Awahith only had eyes for one among them and she careened toward the prone form of her beloved. Kent lay sprawled at the base of the keep's stairs, barely kept upright save for the angle of the stair behind him, and the small green practically landed over his body, protecting him from anyone who sought to finish him off.

My love, please get up, I'll take you home where you'll be okay. Please, don't leave me. The dragon keened, warbling softly over the greenrider as wings spread wide and lips snarled at anyone who ventured too close to the dying man. Awa... you know that's not true... and I would never willingly leave your side. Together, we'll always be. He thought, his heart giving onto her as much as he had to give. My beloved, my heart... I am with you always. She said, her bravado beginning to slip away as the reality sank in and her wings went limp against her sides and her head craned low to nuzzle against the prone man.

"Locke..." He whispered the name, sweet upon his lips though a cough racked his body and red spittle found it's way onto paling lips. Dazed eyes scanned the courtyard, searching, hoping to see that Locke was still okay, still fighting the good fight and there was the flicker of a smile on those broad lips when he saw the wraithrider still standing.

{To clarify a little... Locke and I'ent are fighting off the Justicars (and, so it be known, Locke has claimed dibs on Jarken), while Kent and K'uavaen are keeping the Legionnaires from the children.
Ldy and Kate, feel free to post your next round, Parker will wrap this up after you two post.}