Moonlit Greens ~ { Tag } Aino/Cehrazad

Despite being new, this dining hall is very similar to the one back at old Atricis, giving a familiarity to the new Weyr. It is one large, central cavern carved out from the side of the cliff with many tables of varying sizes and seat numbers. The kitchens are attached, and there is a set of stairs leading down into the lower caverns.
Ember
Marks: 1388.00 [Donate]

Moonlit Greens ~ { Tag } Aino/Cehrazad

Postby Ember » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:19 am

He wasn't going to worry, even though he wanted to, even though she told him not to. It was there though, the urge to do so, the want to do so, and it was because of that need to fret himself bare that Sh'van wasn't able to sleep that night. Oh, he tried, he tossed and turned this way then that, even got up and drank tea that was supposed to help him sleep, went for a jog to try and tire himself out, had his bandage changed, tried a drop of fellis in some warm milk, but nothing seemed to knock him out. It wouldn't be so bad if he hadn't heard the words "potential setback" during Tamith's last check up, and his world had taken a tumble right along with his heart from stomach then down to feet.

He grimaced, trying not to irritate his shoulder as he made his way from the Yard to the dining hall. Really he should be in bed, or trying to sleep, trying to rest as the healers had told him to. But if he wasn't going to sleep after so many efforts pretty much done, why bother trying in the first place? Why not head down somewhere and enjoy the company of another patron up late themselves and a little food and drink at the same time? It wasn't like he was able to do much of anything anyway, there was always the option to sleep the day away if and when he was finally able to nod off. Healers orders, he thought with a snort, and never in his life, in the ten Turn career he'd had as a rider, had he felt more useless than he did at that moment.

Shit, if he had only been more careful on that day, then this wouldn't have happened. He'd still be at High Reaches, having a Wing meeting with his Wingleader and the man's Second, trying to decide on drills the next day. He'd been a Third, a good Third, a position he'd busted his ass off for and now something he was going to have to bust his ass off for all over again. By now they would have filled the spot up again, and he'd be back to just a regular Wing position by the time he returned. It soured him immensely, but he wouldn't let it bother him overly when he finally returned home, though that might be an issue, he thought...

He grimaced again and grabbed a mug of klah, set it on the nearest table, then proceeded to carefully load plates and bring them to the table, a little at a time, because holding a tray was impossible with only one arm that really did much of anything. Now he was cranky, and maybe coming here had been a bad idea, but for the time being he was here, and after he'd be outside going for a walk, he decided. Maybe if someone did approach they'd be willing to go for one too. Maybe that's what he needed - someone to just listen to him complain for a little while. Someone to just let him bitch and perhaps even put things in perspective for him. Whether he knew he needed that or not.
Finn ~◇*◇~ L'van ~◇*◇~ D'kellen ~◇*◇~ K'rios ~◇*◇~ J'on ~◇*◇~ Sh'van ~◇*◇~ Saibra
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Joss ~◇*◇~ Fali'vas ~◇*◇~ Rathiran ~◇*◇~ Constantine ~◇*◇~ Dirce ~◇*◇~ Varric ~◇*◇~ Cataren

Compendium | NPC Archive | Wanted Connections | Marks Tracker | Emporium

Ainokesshou
Marks: 1315.00 [Donate]

Re: Moonlit Greens ~ { Tag } Aino/Cehrazad

Postby Ainokesshou » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:01 pm

It was a lovely night, and most of the Weyr was so quiet. Cehrazad had never been able to completely adjust to being up all day and sleeping all night, after a lifetime spent working exclusively in the hours of darkness. The Weyr had made her soft, though, and these days she usually tried to find her bed before half the night had passed. She would manage a nap at some point, often curled in the same sunny spot her dragon had chosen.

Tonight, however, she stopped by the dining hall on her way back to her apartment, craving something warm and maybe sweet before going off to sleep. There were never many riders in the hall at this time of night, though there were always several of the wherfolk about. Tonight, though, there was another greenrider, a man she had heard about who came to the southern continent to convalesce. Apparently northerners considered this continent a good place to recover from injuries, which made her wonder with some horror how hard it was to heal up north.

He had something like a full meal in front of him, including klah, she noted with quiet amusement. She supposed he wasn't in any big hurry to adjust to a different daily rhythm? She wasn't sure what his sleep schedule was like at his home Weyr, but she knew that the northern continent spread far enough from east to west that some people were waking up at the same time as others were starting to sleep. Maybe that was the problem here?

She took her tea and a bit of porridge, both sweetened with cinnamon, over to his table to make a general nuisance of herself. She tucked her feet up under her into the chair, and gave him an appraising look. "Nahumth isn't awake to give me your name," she said, "so I suppose I should give you mine. I'm Cehrazad, and you look fairly frustrated. I," she informed him archly, "am an EXCELLENT listener. And I'm pretty good at keeping secrets, too, when no one is in any danger."
Elahrairath  Nahumth   Folith   
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
   Atumra       Panlovis     Galask  Gask

Ember

Postby Ember » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:32 am

Sh'van was still staring in his mug when he heard that voice, a very unique, very distinctive voice he would have recognized anywhere had he heard it before. For all intents and purposes, he hadn't, but he knew he would in the future if it ever came up in conversation again. Slowly he looked up, and was surprised to see that the face connected to it really didn't match, but sometimes he knew he really shouldn't judge. She was younger than he'd anticipated, but that didn't mean he didn't appreciate her appearance when it arrived. He'd concluded that he did indeed need someone to speak to, because he wasn't sure if he was going to be able to settle anytime soon without getting some of this off of his chest.

"Cehrazad... a lovely name belonging to a lovely woman." It was the truth, he only spoke the truth, and it was said not out of flirtation but genuine honesty. "I'm Sh'van, of green Tamith." Now that introductions had been set in stone, the question remained - how did he go about doing this? Just spill it out, or find some way to ask her if she was certain, because he knew he had a lot to get off of his chest, and he didn't want to keep her awake all night, especially since she was a full rider of this Weyr, and he didn't know what her schedule was exactly. "I'm just... my insomnia is being worse than usual right now because Tamith had a bit of a set back in her healing."

There, it was a start.

And...?

And...

"I suppose I'm just disappointed that I won't be able to go home as soon as I thought I would. That I'll be stuck here for longer than I anticipated. I was hoping to be back at High Reaches by the mid of Summer. Now they don't know when we'll be released. If we'll even be released for that. It's a little scary, especially when its her lungs at risk right now." He reached out for the green, but she was peacefully asleep, and he took the moment after speaking to just mentally connect with her, feel the rise and fall of her chest as if it were his own. It was a comforting feeling for some odd reason, though it always had been, even she she'd still been a baby and he had been able to hold her.
Finn ~◇*◇~ L'van ~◇*◇~ D'kellen ~◇*◇~ K'rios ~◇*◇~ J'on ~◇*◇~ Sh'van ~◇*◇~ Saibra
Joss ~◇*◇~ Fali'vas ~◇*◇~ Rathiran ~◇*◇~ Constantine ~◇*◇~ Dirce ~◇*◇~ Varric ~◇*◇~ Cataren

Ainokesshou

Postby Ainokesshou » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:44 pm

Ah, a setback in his dragon's healing. Nahumth was still quite young, and had yet to suffer any injuries significant enough to require prolonged convalescence. She supposed that would explain trouble sleeping, though she had always interpreted trouble sleeping as a message from her body that she was still supposed to be awake. Some people apparently struggled to sleep even when their brains and bodies were tired, and she had to admit that sounded horrible.

From what he said, it was an ongoing problem for him, and she had to wonder if he had spoken to a healer about it. Given that he was in Atricis to seek healing for his dragon, it seemed like a waste if he hadn't. Still, she poked lightly at the mug in front of him. "Have you just decided to stay awake the rest of the night and try again tomorrow, then?" she asked. Klah didn't always have a significant effect on people, but she doubted there was anyone who found sleep EASIER for drinking it. She smiled slightly, "Not that I'm saying that's a bad decision. I've always preferred to be awake at night."

And disappointment that he would be here longer than expected. She wasn't offended. Perhaps the man had a weyrmate, or was working on having one at his old Weyr. Certainly he had friends, acquaintances, accustomed routines. On top of that, was another problem. "Dragonriders," she said casually, "aren't much good at resting, are we? I think it's a problem for some wherhandlers, too. We get so focused on our duties that we don't give ourselves a break until we have no choice."

"Now," she said, "you have no choice, and you can't shut down your brain."

There were, of course, numerous ways to shut his brain down, and she could probably personally offer one or two of them. But the best ways for him to settle his mind would be his own efforts. "What did you do before you Impressed," she asked the other greenrider. "Did you have hobbies, a craft? Have you tried to do something with your time when you aren't taking care of Tamith?"
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Ember

Postby Ember » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:30 am

He glanced at the mug she had poked and contemplated it. It hadn't been an option before but now it certainly was. Might be better than attempting to sleep after this, considering he wasn't tired at all, even before he'd settled on having a mug of klah put before him. He ran a set of fingers over the mug and ended up nodding, because he didn't know what else to do. It seemed like the best choice on a matter that made no real sense to him. Why did he have to have so much trouble sleeping at night? It had always been that way, even before he'd Impressed Tamith. When they'd first been bonded to one another, she would try and lull him into restful slumbers, but it had never worked well. Finally, she had forgotten and given up, and he was glad for it, because her attempts and subsequent failures had made her feel the greatest of guilt. "Yeah, i think I'm just going to do that. Lot better than forcing myself to close my eyes and staying in a bed that doesn't want me."

But she seemed like a woman after his own mind, as far as being up at night was concerned, and he found himself cracking a bit of a smile at her words. Yeah, he was a bit of a night person himself, as much as she was a person of the night. "Can't keep me from wandering the grounds sometime. To be honest, I'd rather be awake at night than up during the day. Less people around for one. Don't have to deal with them. Just easier all around. Plus... eh, there's something about the night that calls to me. Maybe it's from the staying awake all these Turns, but that's how I look at it." He stirred a spoon in his stew before taking a bite, though he hardly tasted any of it at all. "Is that why you find yourself drawn to the shadows of the evening as well?"

The talk of the evening hour was enough to distract him for now, though that wouldn't last for long. For now though, it would work. "No, we're not. We always have to be doing, working, keeping busy. If we're not, it feels like we're redundant, that we're worthless." He set his spoon down, finding it difficult to eat when they were on the subject of duties and crafts before Impression. "I didn't do anything before bonding to Tamith, to be completely honest. Was a candidate straight away, came to Atricis before it moved South in order to watch a hatching with my father and Impressed Tamith. Left for High Reaches as soon as we were cleared from training. After that, I worked tirelessly to prove myself in the wings, and we eventually made Third, but... that's all gone now. We don't have the rank anymore, and once we return, I'll have to work down to the bone once again to prove myself worthy and capable of it all over again." He frowned down into his bowl. "I think that, along with Tammy's injury, is what rankles me the most about being here."

Ainokesshou

Postby Ainokesshou » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:17 pm

Cehrazad didn't hide the tattoo on her left hand, though it was not so much darker than the surrounding skin that it was likely to be clearly visible in the glows. In Walled Hold it didn't make much sense to hide it, as she was still plying the same trade as the house of her former owners, albeit as a freed slave in business for herself. Still, it had taken her several turns to realize that the northerners living in the Weyr couldn't see it and read all that much of her past. Most of them were aware that it meant she had once been a slave. The rest? They didn't make any assumptions. Even some Southerners didn't know what kind of business her former owner had been in, if they hadn't lived in that part of Walled Hold.

"Before becoming a candidate, I worked nights," she said, calmly. "Even before that, my mother did, and I stayed up as well. I never completely adjusted to being awake all day, when I was a candidate or now as a rider." She rolled her shoulders in a careful shrug that ended in her sprawling backward, presenting a long graceful line as she looked across the table, a bit of mischief in her eyes.

"I used to help a lot of people relax enough to find sleep," she drawled out. "I would offer to help you with that, but if you want to stay up the rest of the night, I could possibly help with that as well." In more ways than one, but she was actually offering conversation rather than anything more adventurous or acrobatic. He could probably find the latter kind of company quite easily, after all, and she had no reason to think his preferences leaned in her direction.

"I like to spend the late evenings exploring when I don't feel like sleeping," she said, sitting upright again as if her previous calculated drape had been an accident. "I think I knew every possible spot to view the Hatching grounds from when I was a candidate," she said with a wink, "and after Impressing Nahumth, the possibilities for exploration expanded quite a bit."
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Ember

Postby Ember » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:59 am

He would be the first to admit that he wasn't always clear of mind and observant enough to catch onto certain details. But some things simply stood out to him more than others. Like the tattoo on her hand. Why it chose to be something that he took notice of beyond other things, he wasn't quite certain of, but it seemed to jump out at him, as much as the beautiful tone of her skin did. He couldn't be quite certain of what it meant, though from what little he knew of the Walled Hold, he would hazard to guess it had something to do with their tradition of keeping slaves. He wasn't sure how he felt about it, other than it was really none of his concern. No, that wasn't the truth, he knew how he felt - Cehrazad was in a better place over all, by and large, and that was coming from someone who knew nothing about the situation she came from.

You're a good man at heart, Sh'van.

You should be asleep.

It's hard to sleep when you're wide awake.

You should try, dear-heart. I'll try soon myself, promise.

He listened to his companion with interest, finding her to be a rather fascinating individual. Thankful to have someone such as herself to speak to, Sh'van decided he would have to find someway to thank her properly for her time later, when he'd finally managed sleep and could think properly. Would she appreciate wine, or was she a woman that would appreciate fresh picked flowers from the gardens? Would there be some way for Tammy to speak to her Nahumth, he wondered, to try and get some idea of what might be an appropriate gift... Perhaps, but he didn't want to wake the woman's green if she was asleep.

I could always ask... Tamith offered, to which her rider shook his head and the green nodded mentally. Being such a considerate beast, she wouldn't do anything behind his back, but she would remember it long enough to do something about it the next day, at least.

He sipped from his drink and leaned forward, though he was cautious of his arm, still wrapped in a sling, frustratingly enough. He couldn't wait until he was able to get it off, though he knew by then he'd still be waiting for Tammy to be given the all clear to return to the Wings - and in turn, to return to High Reaches. He had no intentions of staying on after he healed up, him and Tammy both that is, but he still found himself asking Cehrazad, "Do you ever take anyone along with you when you go exploring?"

Ainokesshou

Postby Ainokesshou » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:37 pm

Well, a little exploring would certainly either give him something to focus on while he stayed awake, or exhaust him enough that he could sleep. The sling would be a bit of a problem, though, if she tried to do anything particularly athletic. So there wouldn't be any climbing, but she could work around that. In fact, she had an idea.

"I don't really take anyone else exploring," she answered, idly considering him. "I don't know what kind of climbing or balancing other people can manage, after all." And clearly he would understand that the answer right now, for him, must be none.

'But once I find a good place, I do sometimes take someone else to see it." Let him think that she was just looking for pretty views. She certainly didn't mind finding them, and those were what she tended to share. "I can think of a lovely spot that you can get to with only a little bit of squeezing, and a slightly long uphill walk." She didn't stand yet, not knowing if he was up to even that kind of exercise yet. If Nahumth were awake, she would suggest a short ride, but - he would probably benefit from the walk if he could handle it at all.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Ember

Postby Ember » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:11 am

While he could understand that, given his present condition, he couldn't help but feel some measure of disappointment. It certainly didn't help that his heart had been into the idea of getting out of the hall, maybe even the Weyr, for a short time, long enough to clear his lungs and perhaps even his mind for a while. Maybe that wasn't what he actually needed, even if he felt like it was what he wanted. He tried to shrug off any disappointment, and was glad that he had by the time she spoke again, because what she said didn't sound all that bad.

In fact, it all sounded really good. Promising in fact. He ran his fingers along the strap around his neck and nodded in understanding as she told him just how rigorous that exercise could be. It had been so long since he'd been truly active, and he knew he needed to get himself involved in something. So long as he tightened up the strap on his sling, he figured he should be fine with a long walk, even one that took place at a slight incline. "That shouldn't be a problem, actually. I could really go for something like that right now. But are you sure you don't mind bringing me along?" And more than that, "Do you want anything for dragging my lame ass along with you?"

He felt warm approval coming from his dragon, and a moment later, she spoke to him. Please tell Nahumth's rider that I send my thanks for doing you this favor. He rubbed the back of his neck with his free hand and offered a small smile. "But Tammy assumes this is a sure thing, and sends you her thanks."

Return to “Dining Hall”