Hatch Little Egg! [Open]

Despite being new, this dining hall is very similar to the one back at old Atricis, giving a familiarity to the new Weyr. It is one large, central cavern carved out from the side of the cliff with many tables of varying sizes and seat numbers. The kitchens are attached, and there is a set of stairs leading down into the lower caverns.
Marvealle
Site Admin
Marks: 3522.00 [Donate]

Re: Hatch Little Egg! [Open]

Postby Marvealle » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:40 pm

Nali laughed a little at the delicate little lady comment. "You're right, she is," she smiled as she continued to look at the little glittering female that was now chowing down on the food given to her. At the mention of her boys sensing it was a queen, Nali nodded.

"Oh I'll bet. Dragonkin are sensitive to things like that." She really believed they did know, and even gave a little scratch to one of the bronzes that she could reach. "You knew didn't you little guy? So loyal to your potential queen huh?" Nali praised, chuckling before bringing her attention back to her pale little creature.

"Hmm, a delicate little lady, huh?" Nali considered, looking at the hungry little hatchling, giving her more of the meat brought over to fill her up with. "How about Ceridwen? What do you think," she asked Aranrod, wanting someone else's opinion, since she'd never really named anything before. "I could even call her Ceri for short!"
Atricis: Next Generation
~..:: Character & Thread Tracker | Marks Tracker ::..~
Ari ..::||::.. Nali ..::||::.. Kolearine ..::||::.. Tovalia ..::||::.. M'ir ..::||::.. Raevin
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Inakil ..::||::.. Elias ..::||::.. Naia ..::||::.. Sterling ..::||::.. Solonia ..::||::.. Letitia ..::||::.. Lolena'vas ..::||::.. Aoivas
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Ainokesshou
Marks: 2068.00 [Donate]

Postby Ainokesshou » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:55 am

Aranrod giggled at the idea that her two bronzes were paying court to the hatchling queen. That would be thinking too far ahead, these guys couldn't plan like that. But they had certainly been fascinated by the egg, and whether it was their own interest, or them copying hers, it was cute. They were both still pretty interested, but again, that could be because she was. Leulaw had accepted Nali's scratches happily, but was still avidly watching the tiny sparkly hatchling eat.

"Ceridwen is a beautiful name," Aranrod agreed, "but you probably WILL end up mostly using the short name. Ceri is nice, too." And now was probably as good a time as any to mention the issue she was already worrying about. "Do you know how you're going to handle her when - if - you Impress? Because I've been trying to figure out who will watch my two boys, if it happens." It occurred to her that it was just as well that she HADN'T Impressed yet, since she would have had to figure something out on the fly.

She was good at quick and dirty solutions, but it always made her nervous.

{OOC: Considering I'm digging into Irish and Welsh mythology for my own naming right now, how could I not love Ceridwen?}
Elahrairath  Nahumth   Folith   
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
   Atumra       Panlovis     Galask  Gask

Marvealle
Site Admin
Marks: 3522.00 [Donate]

Postby Marvealle » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:39 pm

"Ceridwen it is then," Nali announced happily, glad to not have to fumble around for a name forever, or resort to some silly name like her father had given to his bronze firelizard. The entire family teased him for name a firelizard "Lizard," especially her mother, and Nali didn't want to be as bad at naming as her father clearly was, even if she loved him dearly.

Nali could have forgotten Aranrod was still there if she hadn't spoken up to ask about what she planned to do when she Impressed. Yes, Aranrod had specified "if," but Nali really didn't have any doubts about Impressing eventually. That wasn't really the topic at hand though as she considered Aranrod's question.

"That's a good question," she said, scratching her chin in thought for a moment. "I guess I could always get one of my family members to watch her for me. There's my older brother Inakil, then my sister and brother who are my age. I'm sure I could always rope my dad into it too," she finished with a laugh.

"Hmm, oh! But you don't have family to pawn them off onto huh? Wow, I don't know how candidates with pets without family at the Weyr handle that. Hatchling dragons don't do well with little pets flitting around at first. Maybe there's something for those people, like a petsitting service with the beastcrafters, or something," she laughed again at the thought of beastcrafters littered with other peoples' pets.
Atricis: Next Generation
~..:: Character & Thread Tracker | Marks Tracker ::..~
Ari ..::||::.. Nali ..::||::.. Kolearine ..::||::.. Tovalia ..::||::.. M'ir ..::||::.. Raevin
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Inakil ..::||::.. Elias ..::||::.. Naia ..::||::.. Sterling ..::||::.. Solonia ..::||::.. Letitia ..::||::.. Lolena'vas ..::||::.. Aoivas
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Ainokesshou
Marks: 2068.00 [Donate]

Postby Ainokesshou » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:32 pm

Aranrod nodded, biting her lip as she thought about her options. Even if she were still in contact with her brothers, she wouldn't trust either of them with her fire lizards. Gidion would surely try to come up with a way to use the fire lizards in some plot, and Gilwy would allow it. Friends at Harper Hall? She had been here at the Weyr several turns, now, and she hadn't been particularly close to any of them even before becoming a candidate.

"I don't know how I'll handle it either, if I ever Impress," she said, with a weak smile. She hadn't Impressed the little bronzes on purpose, but even if she had known at the time that they would be a problem if she ever Impressed a dragon, how likely would that have seemed. It certainly wouldn't have stopped her even if she had gotten them on purpose. Then Nali's throwaway comment about petsitters registered, and Aranrod laughed a little in delight. "Oh, if there isn't something like that, there should be," she said. And something like an opportunity, if she didn't Impress soon.

How could they arrange it, though? Neither candidates nor weyrlings tended to have a lot of marks to spare. But surely the ones with lizards of their own were more likely than others to be able to promise an egg in the future? Though Aranrod couldn't exactly promise that herself. Not with two bronzes. She bit her lip, looking at her two boys and considering. She could actually pull this off better if she had a gold, but aside from that fact that it was pure luck with lizard eggs, she had no way to get one, and it would be ridiculous to try to get MORE lizards before Impressing if having them at all was her problem.

She sighed and shook her head. "Well, I would be willing to watch someone else's pets until their hatchling is old enough, but that doesn't solve who I would ask to watch mine," she said, frustrated. Maybe she could recruit a weyrbrat at that point. There had to be kids that were old enough to do the work, and young enough to be excited to play with the fire lizards for a while?

The best thing, though, would be if she could set up some sort of system. Something where candidates with pets took care of a few extra until they Impressed and handed theirs off for a while....
Elahrairath  Nahumth   Folith   
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
   Atumra       Panlovis     Galask  Gask

Return to “Dining Hall”