A Relaxing Moment - OPEN

Like much of the new Weyr, this is a building built in the Weyr Yard. It is a moderately sized building capable of housing up to 48 candidates of each gender at one time. Dragon candidates, Day wher candidates, and even Watch-wher candidates all are housed in this building.
LdyPayne

Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:55 pm

The time was passing quickly in a blur of feeding, washing and caring for Shireth plus lessons and chores I'ent quickly lost track of time. Since the Hatching Feast he had no opportunity to see Locke or K'ent, in fact he barely had time to even wonder how they were doing. Getting to know his fellow Weyrlings wasn't always easy as they were very busy with their own dragons and lessons, no to mention it was clear most of them were very familiar with each other and to him, most were strangers. He never was very outgoing and always content to not have any attention drawn towards him so it didn't make it easy for his fellow Weyrlings to get to know him.

Shireth was always growing, I'ent had never known dragons to grow so fast. He was certain she had doubled her birth size and it had only been a few months since she hatched. He loved every inch of her however and didn't mind the work required to keep her hide soft and free of dry patches, a task that wasn't as easy as it sounded. She also stayed awake for longer periods compared to the first month but still slept for awhile after meals.

I'ent was outside of the Weyrling Barracks watching Shireth stalk and chase some tunnelsnake that had wondered into her sights. It wasn't a very big one and he knew Shireth was fast enough to avoid the snake's attempts to bite her. It was rather amusing to see her stalk and pounce, utterly fearless in facing the pest. Eventually he knew she'll kill it and lose all interest and the various flits that were hanging around will likely fight over the remains.

<I will defeat this foul beast and hang it's head upon my wall as a warning to all such creatures!> Shireth announced, her voice sounding quite bold and menacing in a way that had I'ent chuckling to himself. A sound anybody who knew him would be surprised to hear from him.
Ainokesshou

Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:06 am

P'list was flopped on the ground outside the barracks, completely exhausted. He couldn't say that he was surprised that caring for a weyrling took so much time and energy, he had expected that. Elahrairath was at least fairly even-tempered, unlike some of the other young dragons, but he was growing so quickly, and P'list was still pretty small himself. Washing and oiling the young brown left his future rider soaked, slippery and sleepy. He saw I'ent and Shireth, the green stalking a snake like a big cat. Elahrairath was not quite as tired as P'list, but he watched the green instead of participating.

I don't think they are smart enough to be warned, he teased Shireth, but I guess the head would still look ok on the wall. Let me know if you need any help. Should I be bait?

"Not bait," P'list said, aloud. "You actually have to move faster if you're dodging the snake's bite than if you're trying to bite it yourself, Elah" he sat up, stretching every part of his arms and torso as he moved. His clothes were still damp and his hands were oily, but the good stretch was helping him feel a little more awake.

OK, not bait, Elhrairath agreed easily, since he was felling pretty lazy himself. Is there any other way you would like me to help, though, Shireth?
Last edited by Ainokesshou on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quiloth     Elahrairath     Nahumth      
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
   Atumra       Panlovis     Galask  Gask                      
LdyPayne

Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:08 pm

I'ent noticed P'list sprawled on the ground nearby, worn out from cleaning his brown. The streetrat was feeling tired himself but Shireth was nowhere near as large as Elahrairath and P'list was just a kid. Then again at his age I'ent had been living on his own in The Bottoms running messages for the local crime boss. It made I'ent see the kid as soft, especially when he remembered how sad the boy had been when he had accidentally stepped on some baby mouse he was caring for. He didn't feel any envy for P'list ending up with a brown while he Impressed a green. To him a green was a great dragon to have and being a female more important than a blue. He also knew his thinking was due to how things were at Walled Hold and a brown dragon was a rarety much less the other types here at Atricis.

Hearing the boy speak out loud, I'ent realized he was talking to his dragon and warning him about the dangers of being 'bait' for the tunnelsnake Shireth was stalking. Unfortunately he had no idea what the brown said in reply but he knew he could ask Shireth to repeat it. He then recalled the mouse and realized maybe P'list would be upset once Shireth tired of her game and killed the tunnelsnake.

"I can tell Shireth to let the thing go P'list, otherwise she'll likely end up killing it."

>Oh I realize it can't understand me, otherwise it would have fled in terror by now.> Shireth responded to Elahrairath. Realizing he only wanted to help she took a chance and glanced towards him as she considered the best way to utilize his offer. Turning back she was just in time to stop the tunnelsnake from making a desperate dash towards a small hole in the ground. Her paw landed on it and the snake recoiled, hissing. Shireth hissed back which forced the snake to scurry back out of reach.

>How about you move over here and help prevent the beast from backing away too far. If it gets to the tall grass we may lose it.>
Ainokesshou

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:27 pm

P'list listened to I'ent's offer, confused for a long moment. "Of course she'll kill it, it's a" he suddenly yawned, and stretched again because he couldn't help himself. He suspected he was going through a growth spurt of his own to match Elahrairath's. "It's a tunnel snake," he finished, rotating his shoulders before leaning back on his elbows. "Why would I care if she killed a tunnel snake?" he wondered aloud.

It didn't occur to P'list that someone might see a parallel between a baby mouse and a tunnel snake, especially if they didn't know he'd been trying to save the mouse for a few seven-days. "Those things are a menace," he continued, "If it's large enough for her to bother with it, it's large enough to cause trouble."

More awake now, P'list spoke specifically to Elahrairath. In that state in between awake and asleep, he hadn't even realized he had been speaking aloud before. I'd listen to Shireth, he advised his dragon. but it might also be a good idea to check if there are others in its tunnel. We don't want those things coming into the barracks while everyone is asleep.

Elahrairath followed Shireth's suggestion easily, blocking the creature's path to the tall grass. Where did it come from, he asked Shireth, as he tensed in preparation to pounce if the snake came his way. My P'list is worried there might be more.
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
LdyPayne

Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:36 pm

I'ent shrugged, he didn't know why anybody would care for a tunnel snake or a young mouse but given P'list had cared about the mouse he wanted to avoid upsetting him again. "I didn't know if you would, just wanted to make sure since you were so upset when I stepped on that little mouse a few months back."

Looking back at the tunnel snake he didn't think it was all that big, he had seen larger but maybe P'list thought it was bigger. Shrugging again he turned back to the brownrider. 'They aren't bad eating if you have a way to cook them slowly."

<Oh, it came from that hole it tried to run back into. I haven't seen any others but you're welcome to dig out the whole. I will chase it further away so it won't try and bite you while you are digging. He's a sneaky fellow too and prone to tricks, wouldn't surprise me if he had a whole army down there waiting to feast on us in our sleep.>

"Don't alarm Elahrairath, tunnelsnakes don't form armies and there's not likely to be more in that hole, unless she's protecting a bunch of hatchlings or something." I'ent told Shireth out loud. He didn't know much about Tunnelsnakes other than some were good to eat and others had venom that could make you very sick or worse if you got bit. Other than that they were just vermin to kill much like mice or rats.
Ainokesshou

Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:31 pm

P'list still winced at the reminder about the mouse, though now it was more out of embarrassment than grief or guilt. "I was trying to keep that mouse alive," he admitted, "which was stupid, but it made sense at the time. It had been orphaned, and I was just trying to keep it alive until it was old enough to be on its own. I was more upset that I'd failed at something so simple than anything else." He'd been a little panicked that, if he couldn't keep a few mouse babies alive for a few sevendays, how was he supposed to take care of a dragon? Luckily, dragons were much smarter than mice, and he had a lot of support and advice for taking care of Elahrairath. It really wasn't the same thing.

He still felt a little guilty about the baby mice, though now it was an odd mixture of 'could have gotten in so much trouble,' and 'shouldn't have broken the rules,' combined with, 'if he'd gotten caught and not been allowed to stand, what would have happened to Elahrairath?'

I would have found you in the stands, his dragon commented, as if he was being silly. Which he probably was.

"I probably have too much of a soft spot when it comes to baby animals, especially if they're orphaned or hurt" P'list admitted aloud. "But I think even BABY tunnel snakes would be an exception. And I eat plenty of meat, so obviously I can't get upset about killing adult animals." So what if it didn't really make sense. Nobody ever said every feeling had to be logical. He wrinkled his nose at the thought of eating tunnel snake. "I'm a little too spoiled to want to cook her kill, though," he added. "I wouldn't object to learning how to cook in general, but I'd prefer leaving that kind of meat to the flitters."

I doubt there's an army, Elahrairath said reasonably, before I'ent said much the same. We would be able to hear or feel them moving around, even underground, if there were so many. He looked at the hole dubiously. And I think it would be even harder to kill a bunch of baby snakes than a bunch of big snakes. They would be so tiny and hard to catch.

He focused on their current target. We should kill this one first, he decided. Then we can figure out if there are snake eggs or snake babies in the hole.
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
LdyPayne

Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:44 pm

Though pets of many types were flying about all over the Weyr and he was sure other animals were kept as pets among the rich of Walled Hold and perhaps the Weyr too even if he hadn't noticed any, I'ent still saw them as a luxury item. Not something for the likes of him who barely lived on what he earned as a messenger. Now that he was a dragonrider, he didn't know if he wanted to waste time and food on a pet especially since he had Shireth. She was far better than any pet and certainly far more useful, not to mention she made him a dragonrider and somebody far more important than he was prior to coming to Atricis.

"Pets not really something most people where I came from could afford. If it didn't bring in money or wasn't a food source, you didn't have it." I'ent admitted. "Where I came from isn't like here where everything you could ever want is provided free of charge...it never occurred to me somebody would want to take care of some orphaned mice so I didn't see it as a big deal back then. I understand now why you were upset back then, but now we have far better friends to take care of and they will make us better than what we were, don't you think?"

If he didn't have a ready source of food he would not let the Tunnelsnake go to waste but now, I'ent doubted he could convincec any of the cooks here to prepare the tunnelsnake for him. He knew how to cook about as much as holding a piece of raw meat over a flame till it was black outside and pink inside but whether P'list would call that cooking he had no idea.

"I suppose it'll be fine to leave it to the flitters, unless Shireth eats it herself," I'ent commented, looking over at his green where she was working with Elahrairath to corner the Tunnelsnake.

Shireth was a little disappointed there wasn't an army of Tunelsnakes for them to hunt down and kill but she did see the logic on why there wouledn't be. <A shame. I will dispatch this foul some beast myself, then we can search for more. If we find eggs do you think somebody will want to Impress the baby snakes?>

While waiting for Elahurairath's response she pounced on the Tunnelsnake hoping to crush it with her weight. Unfortunately the snake recoiled and she missed it then had to jump back to avoid it's fangs as it tried to bite her. Hissing she swiped at it with her paw and sent the snake flying through the air towards P'list. The Tunnelsnake landed short and made a mad dash through the grass as it tried to escape. Shireth bounded after it with an excited call.
Ainokesshou

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:33 pm

"They weren't pets, precisely," P'list corrected idly. "I just thought there was something horrible about seeing baby animals die. I didn't want to keep them." It hadn't really occurred to P'list that there were places where each individual piece of food had a price. Wasting food was obviously discouraged in the Weyr, but noone counted each meatroll or bowl of stew. "I wasn't even upset at YOU at the time," he added. "and I'm not really upset at all now. I did my best, and they lived longer than they would have other wise. I think I have enough to do taking care of Elah right now, anyway."

The mice were probably easier to take care of, though, he teased his dragon gently. "Elahrairath is obviously better than mice, though," he agreed aloud. "He's better than anything," P'list was unaware that his tone was somewhere in the range of besotted between an adoring suitor and a doting parent. He hadn't even noticed the similar tones other weyrlings took when talking about their dragons. It sounded natural to him, though older riders probably noticed and found it cute.

Elahrairath gave Shireth a skeptical look at her question about the eggs. Even if they can, would anyone WANT to be bonded to THAT? he asked, looking at the troublesome tunnel snake.

I don't think all creatures in eggs can be Impressed, he added. Aren't there some eggs that people eat?

When Shireth accidentally sent the snake flying toward P'list, the weyrling squeaked, his voice still able to reach a childishly high pitch. While the snake did not make it that far, the boy had already rolled away, and then to his feet, looking relieved when the snake went off in a different direction.

Careful, Elahrairath said, a little alarmed as well. He wouldn't have swatted the snake toward HER boy. Well he wouldn't have on purpose. Maybe he would have by accident, like she did. But she could still be more careful.
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
LdyPayne

Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:08 am

I'ent was glad to hear P'list wasn't upset with him back when he had accidentally stepped on the mouse and wasn't holding a grudge over it. Never one to trust easily however I'ent studied the younger Weyrling for any hints of deception. Saying one thing and meaning it were not always the same thing but when he thought about it some more, would it even be worth holding a grudge over such a small thing? Deciding P'list wasn't the sort to be angry about such a little thing despite saying he was over it, I'ent took a chance the boy was being honest. Now if he had stepped on P'list's baby firelizard maybe that would result in a far more serious grudge than just a mouse he was trying to save from dying because it was too young to take care of itself alone.

Shireth looked at the Tunnelsnake again and didn't think anybody would want to have it as a pet. <You are probably right, these don't look like fun pets to me, unlike the winged ones who look kind of like us but are so tiny.<

The unexpected tunnelsnake tossing in their direction and P'list's reaction had I'ent jumping aside too even though the snake wouldn't have landed on him. Looking over at Shireth he could sense the green hadn't meant to knock the tunnelsnake this way.

"Easy Shireth," he told her then walked over to P'list and offered his hand to help the brownrider up. "Sorry, she didn't mean to knock it your way, too focused on the chase she forgot where we were standing. Are you alright?" he added realizing P'list could have hurt himself in his effort to avoid having a tunnelsnake land on him.

<Oh sorry, I didn't mean to knock it at him. I am glad it didn't reach him.> Shireth told her rider as she ran after the tunnelsnake. Only when she managed to corner it again did she dispatch the foul creature, this time not wasting any time with fancy taunts. Once it was dead she turned her attention to Elahrairath, looking a little sheepish given she had startled his rider accidentally.

<That was very careless of me, I am glad your rider has fast reflexes even though the tunnelsnake didn't land all that close to him. I am glad he is alright, that is, I do believe he's alright.> Shireth looked back towards their riders and tried to decide if P'list looked hurt or just startled. He did make a rather high pitched noise before jumping aside.
Ainokesshou

Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:10 am

P'list laughed, still a little high pitched. The temporarily flying snake had startled him, but he certainly wasn't hurt. "I'm fine," he said. "Definitely awake, now. I'm not groggy at all, anymore," He hadn't been for a few minutes anyway, but he was feeling especially alert now. Maybe try to avoid making the snake fly, he asked Elahrairath, a little of the nervous laughter even in his mental voice. I'd rather not get bitten, and I'm sure I'ent feels the same.

We will be more careful, Elahrairath promised.

I know you didn't mean to, he added to Shireth. He isn't hurt, he was just surprised. That was a rather odd sound, though. I don't think he's made a sound like that before.

It is dead now, so it won't bite you or Shireth's rider, Elahrairath informed P'list proudly, even though he had played almost no role in the ending of the vermin. I don't think I want to eat any of it, though, he decided. It doesn't smell very good and I am still pretty full.

The brown wandered back to the hole, and sniffed at it delicately. He had no idea how they could find out if there were eggs. There probably weren't baby snakes, surely they would already have come out? Maybe it had been a male snake. They couldn't lay eggs at all and then the hole would definitely be empty. How could you tell, though? He didn't think tunnel snakes were sensible enough to announce their gender with their scale color like dragons.
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage