Best to Impress ~ { Tag } Parker/Olyver

Despite being new, this dining hall is very similar to the one back at old Atricis, giving a familiarity to the new Weyr. It is one large, central cavern carved out from the side of the cliff with many tables of varying sizes and seat numbers. The kitchens are attached, and there is a set of stairs leading down into the lower caverns.
Ember

Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:11 am

YellowWallEgg
Copy the code below!

Code: Select all

[img]http://www.newatricis.com/images/Games/EggHunt2018/YellowWallEgg.png[/img]
[b][size=150][color=#f9f6dc]YellowWallEgg[/color][/size][/b]
For a moment, food was forgotten about, and the siblings were staring intently at the chessboard set up between them. Some others in the dining hall were watching around them, but neither were concerned at the moment. They were simply focused on the pieces set up on the board, one waiting for the move of the other, to see if they would make the move that was so obviously there. The other searching for the move that would bring them the win. Dirce was trying her best not to stare at it. She didn't want to give it away. She wanted her brother to find it himself and call out that word that would mean he'd won the game fair and square. He was an intelligent boy, as was evident by the other game of chess he'd won during their little lunch date. She had faith he would win this second if he could just...

Suddenly, he started to grin and quickly his fingers reached for the piece. He slammed it down on the board and looked up at her before crowing, "Checkmate!" Their observers clapped, as did Dirce, and she reached across the table to fluff his hair lovingly, a move that caused him to try and brush her hand away in response. But he continued to smile, and that's what she wanted - a smile, a happy expression after so many sevendays of nothing but gloom. It would take time before the happy boy he could be returned in full, but she was certain it would be there eventually again. This was just a start, and given some time, some patience, and plenty of attention, she knew it would get there. "Okay, I'd best get going to chores. I know, I know, you're so sad you can't be beaten by me again."

She chuckled. "Smartass." She flicked a bit of water in his direction. "I'll be here for a while longer. Going to eat a bit more, maybe hook someone new in to play. I've got some pride to reclaim." She winked, and Cariden rounded the table to hug her and kiss the top of her head. "Be good, kiddo. I'll see you later, okay?" He was off then, and she shook her head, fixing up the board before standing to go and gather more food, hoping the temptation of a full chessboard would be enough to tempt someone when she returned. She wasn't as bad of a player as she'd led her brother to believe, and perhaps she'd gone a tiny bit easy on him, enough so that by the time they'd gotten as far as they had, there'd been no hope for her besides.

But now she was going to make sure she won at least one round with someone... only...

When she returned, someone was fast approaching her table, and she managing a smile for someone that wasn't a sibling when she saw who it was. Olyver, another candidate and someone she had met through her brother. She had found the young man endearing, charming even, and enjoyed when they were in the same company together. She waved him the rest of the way over and slid into her seat. "Hey there, Olyver. Want to join me for a game and some food?" She indicated two things when she spoke - the food that she'd gathered, of which there was quite a bit, perhaps more than one person really needed, and the chessboard.

Only she realized something a moment later - what if he didn't know how to play? Not everyone did, and of those that were aware, not everyone enjoyed the game. What smile there was on her face melted a bit, and she tilted her head somewhat in another nod. "That is, if you want to play. I'm not sure if you know how, or if you'd like to learn if you don't know how. I can teach you if you don't."
Last edited by Ember on Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dirce ~◇~ Finn ~◇~ L'van~◇~ D'kellen ~◇~ D'ante ~◇~ V'ric ~◇~ Na'vi ~◇~ K'rios ~◇~ J'on
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Joss ~◇~ Fali'vas ~◇~ Cataren ~◇~ Feraliss ~◇~ Rathiran ~◇~ Alastair ~◇~ Wykoda ~◇~ Melangell
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Compendium | NPC Archive | Wanted Connections | Marks Tracker | Emporium

“It's better to write something, anything, than to starve the monster. The monster must feed. And it will feed on your soul if not your words. Its appetite is insatiable. Write to save yourself from the monster.”
― Don Roff ―
Parker

Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:44 pm

Olyver had found himself a new fascination....however, unlike most of his new fascinations that generally had to do with learning something new, this was involved....a girl.

Well, a woman was a better word for her as it was obvious that she was a few fair turns older than himself. Apparently not even a stoic young man like Olyver was immune to the allures of attraction when it hits hard. And Faranth how hard did it hit him. He'd met Dirce thanks to her brother that was also a candidate with him. It had been a happenstance of a meeting, but from the moment he'd first laid eyes on her, Olyver had yet to be able to stop thinking about her. Yes, he'd dealt with annoying puppy love feelings before and had ignored them (he really didn't see how letting his teenage hormones get the better of him would help him with anything). These feelings were all encompassing. There was a part of him that hated himself for it and the other side of him told him that it was only a matter of time before this happened. What mattered was that he was cool about it. After all, there was no use getting any sort of hopes up. He was only fifteen and she had to be at least in her early twenties. There is no way a girl like her would ever see him as anything other than a little boy.

Right?

Hope clawed at his mind worse than doubt did, but Olyver refused to make a fool of himself over something that was never going to happen. It was best to just be her friend....and revel in her perfection silently where no one would know his inner thoughts.That wasn't creepy....no, not in the least.

Him and his gaggle of furflits just entered the dining hall and looked for a place to sit and eat. He had a gift for Dirce, something he couldn't easily carry around with him, so a part of him hoped that he would run into her here so he could ask her to come to his place for a moment. Just thinking about asking her that made his stomach to a flip flop. How could he, a strip of nothing of a candidate, as someone as beautiful as Dirce to come to his barracks room for a moment. Didn't matter that the whole thing was going to be as platonic and innocent as possible, he still felt nervous as heck. It didn't help that he was normally such an awkward person in public anyways. He wasn't exactly the best with social graces.

"Hey there, Olyver. Want to join me for a game and some food?"

He was so engrossed in his thoughts he didn't hear the woman that had been plaguing his mind until he was almost directly on top of her. His furflits settled down on the table opposite of Dirce where there was more rooms and a chair for Olyver. "Oh yeah, sure. I'd love to join you. Thanks." He said, his voice only a little nervous and unsure as he sat down across from her.

"That is, if you want to play. I'm not sure if you know how, or if you'd like to learn if you don't know how. I can teach you if you don't."

"I know how to play. Sounds like fun. Food also sounds good. I could eat a runner right now." He assured her. For a brief time he had been fascinated in chess, so he'd learned it rather quickly. He didn't play it much now, but he did still enjoy it and wasn't a bad competitor. "How is your day going?" He asked, hoping none of the butterflies would fly out of his stomach suddenly. Or worse...he'd say something to put his foot in his mouth...like he normally did.
Image Image Image Image Image
F'lin & Mnenomth | Mar'lus & Shardamakath | C'sian & Gastoneth | B'tian & Villeforth | Sid'nis & Iolith
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth | So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Candidate Carver | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

.::..::..::..::..::..
PC Character Tracker | Marks Tracker | NPC Stash
Ember

Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:20 am

"Oh yeah, sure. I'd love to join you. Thanks."

If she noticed the nervous tone in his voice, she had the good grace not to point it out or make it apparent and instead smiled and made sure there was plenty of room for him and his side, where her brother had been seated moment prior, was nice and clear for him. After wiping it down, and resetting the board for him, she sat back down. "It's been a bit since I've seen you. I'm guessing that candidate classes and chores have been keeping you busy?" She was unaware of his feelings and thoughts, which was probably for the best - she would have found it rather cute and charming otherwise, and wouldn't know how to let him down gently on the spot otherwise. For now, there was peace in lack of knowledge.

"I know how to play. Sounds like fun. Food also sounds good. I could eat a runner right now."

She actually chuckled and shoved some of the leftovers still on the table towards him. She and Cariden both had appetites, things they'd gained from their parents, more specifically their mother, so there was always food around them. Which meant there was inevitably leftovers in some manner. She was glad she would be able to share some of them with Olyver. "Eat as much as you'd like, and I'll have some more with you." More, because she'd already had some, but Faranth, she was still hungry. Since taking care of her siblings, she's started to find herself take on a mothering personality in part - not completely of course, but when she sat with someone that said they were hungry, she wanted to make sure they were fed. So she didn't bother starting the game, or taking anything she wanted. She continued to shove things in Olyver's direction. "Is there anything specifically you or your friends want?" She meant the furflits of course. "I'll hop up and grab it if there is."

"How is your day going?"

Better than it normally does, I actually climbed out of bed without needing a drink of something. But she didn't say that to him, and instead put on a smile and sipped from the mug of watered down ale in her hands. "I'm doing okay, for the most part. Been a busy day of running after little sisters, but they have little legs and are surprisingly fast on them. Getting rather... bored not fishing on a regular basis, but I'll get used to it I suppose. Other than that, I've been okay, like I said."[/b] Another sip, a smile that was for him, her friend, and she tipped her head. "What about you, Olyver? How have you been doing?"
Dirce ~◇~ Finn ~◇~ L'van~◇~ D'kellen ~◇~ D'ante ~◇~ V'ric ~◇~ Na'vi ~◇~ K'rios ~◇~ J'on

Joss ~◇~ Fali'vas ~◇~ Cataren ~◇~ Feraliss ~◇~ Rathiran ~◇~ Alastair ~◇~ Wykoda ~◇~ Melangell

“It's better to write something, anything, than to starve the monster. The monster must feed. And it will feed on your soul if not your words. Its appetite is insatiable. Write to save yourself from the monster.”
― Don Roff ―
Parker

Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:02 pm

Olyver took his seat quickly. His gaggle of furflits gathered around him, but knew better than to get on the table or beg him for any food. They knew they were likely to get bits of food anyways because he couldn't help but spoil them. "Yeah, I suppose it has been a bit." He agreed and tried to sound as nonchalant as possible. The fact was that he knew exactly how long it had been since the last time he'd seen her. "Oh, you know how it goes. If it isn't lessons, then it is chores. I've also been helping my dad with a rather big smith project he was asked to do, so I've been doing that on my down time." It wasn't often that his dad did actual smith work, but he was more than happy to help him with the project.

"Thank you." He said, trying to not let the nervousness shine through his voice as he began to pick at the food she offered. Like a lot of teenage boys, he really wasn't too picky on what sort of food he consumed, just as long as he consumed them. "Oh no, this here is fine. You don't have to go get me anything." His heart did a little flip at the thought of her doing anything for him, even if it was something as simple as getting him some food. He got himself a nice little pile of the food she had scooted over to him. Already he was beginning to give a few bits of food to his furflits.

"Been there, done that before. And they never seem to run out of energy somehow. I don't understand it." Olyver had his fair share of dealing with younger siblings considering he had so many of them. He didn't get to spend too much time with them thanks to his schedule as a candidate, but he did see them as often as he could. "I'm doing alright. Getting anxious for the next hatching. Missing the little sister that's just under me in age. She's one of the new pearlriders, so she hasn't been back to the weyr since that hatching." Lolena had always been the one he was closest too, so he missed her dearly. Maybe during his next free day he could get the permission to go see her.
F'lin & Mnenomth | Mar'lus & Shardamakath | C'sian & Gastoneth | B'tian & Villeforth | Sid'nis & Iolith
Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth | So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Candidate Carver | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

Ember

Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:27 am

She listened to him with interest, because he was her friend after all, even if there was a slight age difference between them. When he spoke of his father, she remembered a small detail about him, pleased that she had recalled it so easily. Apparently she was becoming more familiar with the Weyr again. Then again, maybe that wasn't such a good thing - she didn't intend to stay once her siblings were of an age to all Apprentice or Stand. Granted, that would be a while from now, a long while given the fact that Cinaree was only five. But if she became too familiar with things, then that meant she would grow attached. She wasn't sure if she wanted to do that.

"Your father, he's a... dragonrider as well, if I remember right? Ol'ver, rider of Kheserath?" Even if she didn't intend to become familiar with the Weyr, with the people that lived within it - though it was already happening, whether she wanted it to or not - that didn't mean she could avoid being kind to Olyver. He was a sweet kid that reminded her of her brother, and he was so kind to her besides. How could she not give him attention? Even after she gave him food, she still asked if he was certain of whether or not he wanted anything more. "Are you sure? It wouldn't be a problem for me at all, really. I wouldn't mind fetching something else for myself as well, and it'd be easy for me to grab something that you want at the same time."

She chuckled, which was so rare nowadays, she couldn't recall the last time she made the sound so willingly. "Yeah, I don't get it either. I swear, if the healers could learn the secrets of how a five Turn old gets so much energy, they could make a fortune in marks. I might have to look into that myself. Start my own little brand. I'll let you in on it though. We'll become partners in the production, since we're both curious about the entire thing." In reality, it was all in jest, and he probably knew it as well, or at least she hoped he did. At least the subject didn't linger long, though it was on a less than happy topic in some ways. "It shouldn't be too much longer, should it?" She reached across the table to give his hand a gentle squeeze. "I'll be your surrogate big sister in the stands. I know I'm not little, but I'll cheer you on as you Impress. Deal?"

― Don Roff ―
Parker

Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:05 pm

A look of proud crossed his young face and swelled his chest. "Yes, you are correct. Ol'ver of Bronze Kheserath is my father. He was Weyrleader a few times." Olyver might have been born only to his mother, but there was no denying that he was his dad's boy. He looked up to the man and respected him deeply. To say he wanted to follow in his foot steps was a given. "Good for you to remember his and his bronze's name." She was rather new here and for all he did love his dad he didn't talk about him constantly.

"No, no. I'm fine really. I mean, don't let that stop you if you want to get more food of course. I just don't want you to have to get up for me." Olyver assured her. "In fact, if you want I can go get you something if you want. I really don't mind." It was only polite that he serve a lady. At least that was what he'd learned from watching his father and his weyrmate. Besides, he wanted to do things for her. Was it showing off in the hopes of gaining her affection? Yes, absolutely, though the logical side of his brain told him that nothing would come of it. She was way out of his league.

"I think this is a wonderful idea. I mean....we're probably just going to find out that all that energy comes from less wear and tear on the body after so many turns, but hey...you never know. It could be something else." Olyver joked a bit awkwardly. He was right though. Kids had energy because they were young. "And if we discover a break through we'll become rich and famous." He chuckled as he fed a scrap to Mick. Talk then turned to his inevitable impression. "It shouldn't be. Atricis doesn't lack for clutchers, that is for sure. We also don't lack for candidates. Better odds for the hatchlings, worse odds for us standing." In a single moment Olyver went from elation to depression. The touch on his hand was all warmth and inviting, but the word sister....well that cut as deeply as it would any young teenage boy wishing he was more than just a friend. "Thanks. I appreciate it." He managed to say to her.

Ember

Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:41 am

She was rather proud of herself for recalling those details, considering she'd had so much else to learn and deal with since arriving. But for her friends, she'd been trying to stake out the important details. Since she considered Olyver a friend, even if he was quite a ways younger than her, she was doing her best to think of things that might make him happy. Details about his family, which she surmised he was close with, had seemed like a natural choice to pay close attention to. "I'm trying. Its been so long since I've been at the Weyr, so much has gone on. I still have a lot to learn." She opened her mouth, about to speak of her own family, on a more personal level than she had before, but she was quick to close her mouth and bit down on her cheek. No, she wasn't going to share that, she... just didn't want to, for some reason, not even with Olyver. "So tell me anything about your family that you'd like whenever we're together, okay? It helps me to learn history, and I suspect they are as entrenched in the history of Atricis as any family can get."

With the food situation dealt with, she was ready to sit back and eat, get comfortable, enjoy a meal and a game with her young friend. She didn't realize how much hurt he was going through from her words, but she could tell from his deflation that something was bothering him. She tilted her head quizzically and reached out again, this time out of concern. For someone that kept to herself most of the time, Dirce was a woman of touch, and were she seated closer to him, she likely would have brought herself to a nearer position to try and see what was the matter, to offer him support. "Is something the matter?" She wasn't sure what had gone wrong between one point and another, but surely she could make it go right again. "I hear that there's talk that Andromedath is going to be the next queen to rise. Do you suppose that's the truth?" Perhaps talking to a young candidate about the prospect of a clutch would be enough to see that smile back on his face again.

― Don Roff ―