Character Profile Template pt 2

This can be used for all, it is friendly for guests and members to use. This is so people can ask questions about things, especially guests. A subforum for suggestions for the site and such can also be found within.

Edited or Original? (look at first post before voting)

You may select 1 option

View results

Marvealle
Site Admin
Marks: 212.00 [Donate]

Character Profile Template pt 2

Postby Marvealle » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:49 pm

(Note: reposting fresh for a new poll, so no one feels put on the spot)

I see what you guys are saying so far, and I am glad to see that Atricis' profile template has served its purpose well all this time and hasn't felt lacking. Also, yeah, I definitely see what you guys mean on putting the dragonkin together with their bondeds, and I think that's definitely something we can implement here soon.

In the meantime, I did poke around a little and did experiment with a little editing of our current template, just to kind of see what it might look like in this style. It's basically the same, has all the same sections, things are just sort of further "sectioned" into categories and also includes the potential use of spoiler tags (I would say those would be at least somewhat optional, since I don't really know how everyone feels about the spoiler tags, I just like to use them since they are great for keeping a wall of text from stretching a page out unless you want that wall of text open). The idea is it's got the same sections, but might be a bit easier to add some customization while keeping what we need as well. So, like, you could add little sections into the "Apperance" category, for example, bout their PB or some basic traits. Same with the Personality with personality traits or even quirks, hobbies, etc.

I want to say real quick though, this isn't a "too bad, this is the new template," nor is it me trying to convince you guys for a change. It's an idea I had, played with, and wanted to get some input on compared to out current template. If you guys don't like it, feel free to say you still prefer the original. You can also make some suggestions to what could improve this if you do like this idea, but think some things could use some shifting around. I want to see what is best for you guys. ^.^

Username:
Character Number:

Basics

Character Name: (If Dragon Candidate put honorific in italic if honorific is desired)
Ranking Position:
Residence:
Origin: (where they come from/were born)
Health:

Skills & Abilities

Level of Craft: (If applicable)

Abilities:
(Any shop abilities such as Stands Candidate, or Jack of All Trades, etc.)

Relationships

Bonded Dragonkin: (Major Dragonkin; Dragon, Wher, etc.)
Family:
Lover(s):
Pet(s):
Fighting Wing: (Dragonrider Only)
Guard Team: (Wherhandler Only)

Appearance

Here you can put the usual appearance description, plus extras such as PB, Notable scars, basic quick info, the like.

Personality

Here, alongside a full personality description, you could add things that might pertain to personality such as likes, dislikes, even hobbies if desired.

Biography

Usual history, it would just be under a spoiler since histories are often the longest part about a profile.

Code: Select all

[b]Username:[/b]
[b]Character Number:[/b]
[hr]-[/hr]
[center][size=150][b][u]Basics[/u][/b][/size][/center]
[b]Character Name:[/b] (If Dragon Candidate put honorific in [i]italic[/i] if honorific is desired)
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b] (include turn of birth)
[b]Ranking Position:[/b]
[b]Residence:[/b]
[b]Origin:[/b] (where they come from/were born)
[b]Health:[/b]

[center][size=150][b][u]Skills & Abilities[/u][/b][/size][/center]
[spoiler][b]Level of Craft:[/b] (If applicable)

[b]Abilities:[/b]
(Any shop abilities such as Stands Candidate, or Jack of All Trades, etc.)[/spoiler]

[center][size=150][b][u]Relationships[/u][/b][/size][/center]
[spoiler][b]Bonded Dragonkin:[/b] (Major Dragonkin; Dragon, Wher, etc.)
[b]Family:[/b]
[b]Lover(s):[/b]
[b]Pet(s):[/b]
[b]Fighting Wing:[/b] (Dragonrider Only)
[b]Guard Team:[/b] (Wherhandler Only)[/spoiler]

[center][size=150][b][u]Appearance[/u][/b][/size][/center]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[center][size=150][b][u]Personality[/u][/b][/size][/center]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[center][size=150][b][u]Biography[/u][/b][/size][/center]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Atricis: Next Generation
~..:: Character & Thread Tracker | Marks Tracker ::..~
D3D3D3/Fade ??????/?????? ??????/?????? 98D189/219741 E5B9B9/FFFFFF 5A595F/Fade 3A0E0E/AB0B0B ------/------
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
111111/9F9F9F EAF2FF/4BAFE2 E5E5E5/A6A454 FFFFFF/F9C848
Image Image Image Image

LdyPayne
Marks: 1807.00 [Donate]

Re: Character Profile Template pt 2

Postby LdyPayne » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:03 am

Overall I still prefer the original. Having catagories is useful, mostly because the spoiler tag does condense things nicely. However, I don't really like the areas sectioned off above. It just seems not worth it in some areas as it would be such a small block of text to 'hide'.

Where I can see spoiler tags to be useful would be around the 'pets', the bonded/Impressed dragonkin (if we do go with having both in the same post (which I do like, it is a pain to have to go hunting for the other post when checking various things, easier if it's on the same thread). Finally the overall History.

Pretty much set up so larger bodies of text can be hidden away but leave the bulk of the important stuff invisible.

Moving the 'pets' to the bottom in the original template would be nice too, this way there's not a huge bunch of images etc to scroll past for somebody who has a few pets. In other games I usually include these at the very bottom of the character sheet, after history. Or even in a separate thread to avoid scrolling...however a spoiler tag works great as a way to hide the pets unless i want to see them.

Lanni
Marks: 205.00 [Donate]

Postby Lanni » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:14 am

For one who mainly uses mobile devices to check in, the extended profile takes up a lot space. I do like the hidden portions but maybe there could Be a mix of the two?
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Linnea
Marks: 6727.00 [Donate]

Postby Linnea » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:51 pm

I mean, I can see the reason for the tags as some people write particularly long profiles, but maybe it'd be best to just note that the use of spoiler tags is an option for long sections? That way, not everyone has to use them if they have shorter profiles. The fact of the matter is you're going into a profile to look up information about the character, so hiding all the information doesn't seem particularly necessary unless it's for organization of an unwieldy profile.

Also, on one hand I like the idea of riders and their bondeds being in the same thread, but, on the other hand, we do have people playing riderless dragonkin. How would those profiles be treated in comparison? And should one of those dragonkin bond to a rider belong to a different writer, how would that work with profiles? Especially with our organizational system?

Marvealle
Site Admin
Marks: 212.00 [Donate]

Postby Marvealle » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:22 pm

I think the best way to sort have a combination of both the original and the newer take is to make the spoiler tags optional like Linn suggested, which is honestly not a bad suggestion. I considered having the spoiler tags somewhat optional on the profile anyway, so saying, "hey use them if you want/if that section of your profile gets long" is a good potential way to handle the spoiler tags on the profile.

As for non-bonded Dragonkin, that is a good question Linn. Honestly, what will probably happen is that the rider profile will be one post, and then their bonded dragonkin will be a second post in the same thread (keeping them together, but just separate enough to possibly make updating them both separately a bit easier, as well as still allowing for separate linking of the rider and dragonkin if desired). In that case, an unbonded dragonkin will probably just have a profile post on its own.

Though for the potential of unbonded dragonkin bonding to another player's character? That's something that's going to be covered in Unbonded dragonkin character guidelines that we're hoping to add with the rest of the site changes/updates this month, since there aren't any currently for that type of character.
Atricis: Next Generation
~..:: Character & Thread Tracker | Marks Tracker ::..~
D3D3D3/Fade ??????/?????? ??????/?????? 98D189/219741 E5B9B9/FFFFFF 5A595F/Fade 3A0E0E/AB0B0B ------/------
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
111111/9F9F9F EAF2FF/4BAFE2 E5E5E5/A6A454 FFFFFF/F9C848
Image Image Image Image

LdyPayne
Marks: 1807.00 [Donate]

Postby LdyPayne » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:46 pm

As a suggestion to Linnea's concerns about Unbonded dragonkin or bonded pairs who have different players playing each 'side' of the bonded pair (or trio in the case of dual bonds), I would just have them kept as separate threads much as they are now. They are more the exception to the norm and aren't likely to be too many of them.

I would suggest making folders for each Player where they can have mod access to and can create subfolders for characters, bonded dragonkin and pet threads. Given this would mean reworking the current method of how bios are categorized, may be more work than it's worth.

making additional posts under the main bio page is a good idea, and to back this I would suggest on the main character bio where it says 'pets' instead of posting all the pets there, just put the total number. Then the pets can be put in a separate post underneath the main bio, which interested players can scroll down to check out. This would keep the bios shorter and not be distracted by the lovely art for pets :)

Or, could just make the bios open for modification either with colors, spoiler tags etc as long as the key information is present and easy to find.

Return to “Questions From All [Guest Friendly]”