Flying to New Beginnings [Tag: Ember/Th'ren]

All the rest of the Northern Continent that Atricis left behind. Atricis' old Holds can be found within, as well as all the other Holds and Weyrs and old lands left behind.
Marvealle
Site Admin
Title: Foxy Prince
Pronouns: Any

Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:51 pm

The conversation about her old desires to travel as a Journeywoman and see outside of the Hall had been a hard one for Mina with her father. It was something that only her dear friend Sahya knew about, and something she had set aside for turns. When her father came to her with the knowledge it had been something she had once wanted, it had been hard to admit it. It hadn’t been where he had wanted her, he had wanted her in the archives for the past several turns, so to admit she had secretly wanted something other than what her parents had wanted for her had been difficult. But the conversation was had, and decisions were soon made.

She would be moving to New Atricis Weyr.

It would be an enormous change for her, she had spent her whole life at the Harper Hall, but it was one she and her family hoped would be best for her. Her heartbreak from Liram was so fresh to her heart, and she struggled to keep herself going through her Hall work now. Everything about it reminded her of Liram, and on more than one occasion since he left her she held the hood and cloak he had gifted to her and cried, especially when she was packing her things, deciding what to take and what to leave behind.

”Thanks, Lyric,” she praised the little Iolite flitt as she deposited a lightweight slipper into her lap. She had been trouble finding the other one, but Lyric took care of it and now Mina could get her shoes on, slipping her feet into the flats as a light knock sounded on her door.

”Come in,” she called, not surprised to hear her mother’s voice.

”Hey dear, you ready to go now,” the older harper woman asked as she peered into Mina’s room. Even to Mina’ the room looked so different. The clothes chest had been taken out of the room, and the personal belongings on the shelves were mostly gone. Only a few items were left, deliberately chosen to be left behind. Miriam, her mother, said nothing about the fine cloak left on the bed, the one Liram had gotten for her. She was silently happy to see Mina leaving it behind and instead put on a hood and cloak that her mother had gotten made for her with the intent to replace Liram’s cloak with it.

”Yes, mother, I am ready.” As she answered, she picked up a personal bag that had in it the panflute she tended to practice with the most. A little something of home to take with her, a material comfort for when she was in a whole new place.

Miriam led her daughter out of the Hall then. Her trunks had already been taken out, just two of them, with her clothes and personal belongings divided between them. It was actually more than most harpers left with, but given she was the Master’s daughter, it wasn’t surprising either. They were waiting outside with the strong man that had been tasked with helping with the trunks, looking at the sky as Miriam and Mina stepped up.

”Thank you,” Mina expressed to the man who had helped so far, giving him a polite bow of her head. He smiled and nodded, forgetting that Mina had a hard time seeing the expression, but she saw the nod so she accepted he had acknowledged her at least.

”They should be here any moment now,” he mother assured Mina, taking her hand into hers for a squeeze. For a moment they stood quietly, not needing to share words. They had already talked about this extensively, there wasn’t much else to say right now. Mina just stood and waited, keeping her head down to keep her eyes shielded from the sun under the hood that was flipped up over her head.
Atricis: Next Generation
~..:: Character Tracker & Plotter | Marks Tracker ::..~
ImageImageImageImageImage Image Image ImageImageImage ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:18 am

It took a while, maybe longer than he would have liked, but eventually Tal had made it to the Hall where he was schedule to pick up a passenger to bring a long with him to the Weyr. He was eager to ger to the South, but the leaders he'd been under had asked him to do this for them, one final favor, and he'd been rider enough for them for so long that he'd been unable to say no. With a smile in their direction, he'd taken their papers, and left, wondering who it was he would be seeing and lifting with him.

This is good. This will be good. You've been cooped up for too long and I need to stretch my wings. He snorted. Its the truth. There's been so much going on that you seem to forget, Th'ren. But I remember. Every last detail, memory, thought, feeling. I feel it just as you do. We're in this together, and you know it.

The man did, and that was part of why he was so... he didn't quite know the word he was looking for, but he knew he wished she wasn't so right on the mark As Weya came in for her landing, he slipped down her side and lifted a hand to his hair, knowing it wouldn't be long before he was south, and having worn only lighter gear and materials for the trip. The cold would nip him, but he'd been between[/]b] often enough to know what he could and coldn't tolerate.

Looking once, then twice, he saw who it might be, and the greenrider approached with a friendly smile on his face, asking the name that had been given to him. "You wouldn't happen to be Mina, would you? No, let me correct myself," he gave a proper bow of his head, trying to sound just as presentable and professional as he was friendly. "Journeyman Mina, right?"

He glanced up at her parents and offered another bow of his head, another smile. "Th'ren of green Weysith, on our way to New Atricis as well. A pleasure to be able to offer a trip South."

Please visit the above link for a list of my current
characters, links to their profiles, to see what
they look like, and find other little facts about them!

[ Marks Tracker | Graphics Shop | NPC Archive ]

“You fail only if you stop writing.”
— Ray Bradbury —
Marvealle
Site Admin

Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:07 am

True to her mother’s word, Mina felt the pressure change and looked up to see the form of a beautifully green dragon in the air coming down to them. Lyric chirped and watched the big dragon coming down as she clung to Mina’s shoulder. She gave the little flitt a reassuring pat as the air shifted, some wind being kicked up by the dragon’s landing. Once landed, the rider approached, and she watched him from under her hood, then listened to his introduction. He sounded polite, especially as he corrected himself and even bowed his head.

"Thank you, Th'ren," her mother answered genuinely, offering him a smile and a nod. Mina nodded to him in agreement, finally lifting her head enough to look at him fully instead of hiding under her hood. She squinted to try to get a better visual of his face, but it was difficult and she didn't try terribly hard.

"Yes, thank you, Greenrider Th'ren, I appreciate you taking me to New Atricis Weyr. I am Journeywoman Mina," she introduced herself in return, nodding her head in respect to the dragonrider before her. "I have two trunks I am bringing with me, will your lovely Green dragon be able to carry them?" She asked, genuinely curious, not knowing much about dragons on any personal level.
ImageImage
Ember

Wed May 01, 2019 2:48 am

There was a moment of pause as he spoke to Weya, who had decided she simply had to say something in response to what the Journeywoman had said. I like her. She thinks I'm lovely. Which was a given, because she was the most beautiful green on Pern, she already knew that being told it every day. Please inform our dear passenger that I am most happy to transport her and her items, and that I shall do so as carefully as possible. No harm shall become of her or her precious cargo on my watch. There was another pause before she released him to respond to the small group of crafters waiting on him. Make sure you tell her I like her and why.

He chuckled, and that was the sound he was making when his eyes finally clear and he was able to look at the crafters. When he realized what he was doing, he coughed, clearing himself of his good humor, but the smile remained on his face. "My dragon was speaking to me, and I do apologize, but she was being a bit demanding. I found it a bit humorous truth be told." But there were other things to do, say, and so he continued before too much more time was lost during this small detour. He glanced at Mina, since the majority of what Weya had said had been directed towards the young woman. "She wishes for you to know that she is honored to carry you and your things, that nothing will become of them or yourself during this journey. She also wishes for you o know that she likes you because you think she's lovely."

— Ray Bradbury —
Marvealle
Site Admin

Wed May 01, 2019 5:45 am

When he didn't answer her soon enough, Mina was confused, wondering if she had said or done something wrong. When she opened her mouth to speak, her mother placed a hand on her shoulder reassuringly. So Mina waited a moment, shifting a little and pulling her hood further over her head and face, unable to help feeling insecure about her appearance to the rider. Then he chuckled, and she looked at him again, wondering what was going on. When he explained, she flushed a little with embarrassment at having assumed it had something to do with her as to why he wasn't talking right away. She was relieved though, and was able to smile, even laughing lightly when he relayed his dragon's message to her.

"That is good to know I have gained her favor."

"We don't want you doing all the work though," it was her father, Narek, Master of the Hall, that spoke then, his tone light but still polite with the rider. He gestured to the man who had been standing nearby with Mina's trunks, clearly more muscular than the thin harper family. The man nodded and picked up Mina's trunks, neither particularly large, but clearly too much for Mina to handle herself.

"Instruct me how to load these up onto your dragon and I'll get 'em up there, sir," the strong man present said to Th'ren as he held the trunk, ready for direction.

"Thank you, Sajad. And to you as well, Th'ren and your Weysith. You both have my thanks for transporting me and my things to New Atricis Weyr safely." She bowed her head lightly to Th'ren to show her genuine appreciation for it.
ImageImage
Ember

Sun May 12, 2019 2:23 am

Th'ren bowed his head in Narek's direction, a smile on his face. It wouldn't have been an issue to do the work, but he wasn't going to argue against the man either. He went to lift something up himself. "You're most welcome, Master. I promise you, we will ensure your daughter makes it safely to the Weyr. Weya - Weysith - is already fond of her and won't let anything happen to her during our brief journey South." He bowed his head to the man, to his wife, to Mina, and to Sajad himself before leading the man towards his green who gave a slight wiggle in anticipation of what was to come.

"Here we go." He instructed Sajad, showing him how to load things up onto his green's harness. "It isn't all that difficult to do, but the thing you want to ensure is that the straps are nice and firm." He gave them a good tug when they were in place, making certain that they weren't in the slightest way loose. When he was satisfied that they were set the right way, he stepped back, ready to grab something else. "Nothing to it. Shall we finish up so we can get the Journeywoman off?" He clasped the other man on the shoulder in a friendly manner.

— Ray Bradbury —
Marvealle
Site Admin

Mon May 13, 2019 1:54 am

Sajad took Th'ren's lead, doing what he needed at the Greenrider's direction to get the two chests loaded onto the dragon and securely lashed down so they wouldn't be lost in flight. Since there was only the two chests, one mostly of clothes, it was easy work between the two men, and Sajad gave Th'ren a friendly pat on the shoulder in return.

"Safe travels, Greenrider Th'ren," he wished him in a show of respect for his position as a Dragonrider. He then gave a parting bow to Master Narek and his family before departing with a final thanks from Mina. With her things loaded now though, and plenty of thanks shared between the rider and family already, it was time for final farewells now. Mina and Miriam shared a final familial hug.

”I love you. Tell Naia that too when you see her.”

”I will, mother. I love you too.” As she released her mother, she looked to her father, who offered her a smile and a hand on her shoulder.

"Goodbye, Mina. I love you. Do well in your new station."

"Thank you, father," she bid him, accepting that they did not share a parting hug, happy with his hand on her shoulder for a moment before she took a breath, turned back to the greenrider, and stepped closer to him and his dragon.

"I am ready to go, thank you for your patience."
ImageImage
Ember

Thu May 16, 2019 2:14 pm

Th'ren smiled and nodded, having been more than willing to wait, especially with Weya's partiality to the young woman. He led her in the direction of the green and gave the dragon a pat, at which point she lowered her shoulder and offered a paw. "I'm going to get up first, and then Weysith is going to give you a lift to her back with my assistance." He pulled out a spare jacket for the trip between and offered it to her. "The trip down South will be brief, but you'll need this against the chill we'll experience going between."

He showed her the straps next, and explained how he would be using those to keep her in place against the harness. "They'll keep us both from slipping from Weysith's back. I'll slip them on once you're at her back, make sure they're good and snug, then after getting myself situated, we'll make sure she's ready to go before getting into the air. She'll probably circle once or twice, especially if you'd like the chance to see the Hall from the sky before we leave, then I'll give you a warning before we make the trip between. Any questions?"

ooc: if you wanted to go through the process of him getting on Weya's back and strapping Mina in, you're more than welcome to. <3

— Ray Bradbury —
Marvealle
Site Admin

Fri May 17, 2019 6:45 am

Mina listened as Th'ren explained how this would go. When he handed her the jacket, she took it, looking at it curiously then realizing it made sense he would offer it. She nodded. Of course, she had read that between was cold. She didn't take off her own cloak as she wiggled the jacket on though, just letting it drape behind her shoulders and putting the jacket over it so she could keep her hood up and her eyes shielded from the sun. It didn't look the most sensible to have a cloak cape falling out of the jacket, especially because the jacket was big on her and loose in places, but it would do what it needed to keep her protected from the cold and the sun.

"Thank you," she told him when he finished explaining everything so she knew what to expect of it all, nodding her head in a light respectful bow to help show her appreciation. She watched him as he got up onto the lovely green Weysith, and once he motioned for her, she did the same, taking his hand with her own starkly pale one, and using Weysith's paw and arm to help her climb up as well. It was clear she wasn't used to dragons, as she fumbled a little with it, but she managed without anything too embarrassing happening. Once she was situated in the right spot he made quick work of the straps, and she couldn't help but squint to try to see the work he did with his hands a little better.

"Oh my, it's higher than it looks once you're up here," she admitted, looking over Weysith's body to the ground. It seemed so much higher. However, now that she was up on the dragon, she was even more amazed at the warmth beneath her, and the feeling of the dragon's strong breath slightly moving as well. It was an amazing moment for Mina, even daring to reach and give Weysith's hide a pat, running her hand along the suede-like hide, smelling the spiced scent she had always heard dragon hide had. She closed her eyes for just a moment to take in the sensations of being atop a dragon, forgetting about her worries for that brief period.

"I think I'm as ready as I can be now," she admitted after her little moment of taking in the non-visual sensations of being on a dragon. Her cheeks flushed, unable to help her embarrassment at giving in to the awe of the green Weysith. Even so, she couldn't resist giving Weysith another pat, finding the feel of dragon hide pleasant to her fingertips.
ImageImage
Ember

Fri May 17, 2019 4:18 pm

"I think I'm as ready as I can be now,"

When she was settled in, and Weya confirmed she was ready as well, he glanced over his shoulder a moment. "Make sure you hold onto me tight. Don't worry about it being too firm, it won't hurt me. The lift off can be a bit jarring at first, as can the landing be." He gave the straps a final check, even though he was confident in his abilities to place them at this point, and satisfied, he gave his dragon's shoulder a pat, made Mina had a good hold, gave the young woman time to wave to her family if she wished, then gave Weya the signal to start her take off.

He was so used to this that it didn't even bother him anymore, the snap that came with the rise in the air, but he was glad that he'd given her the warning since for first time riders, it could sometimes be a little unnerving. In the air, he didn't immediately take them between, having said Weya would fly a bit before that to give her a look at the Harper Hall from the sky.

Weya flew a ways out then, wanting to show off a little to her favored harper. I hope you don't mind, Journeywoman. She spoke to both her rider and the harper, wanting to inform her in a rare decision to voice her thoughts to another. But everyone should experience flight from their homeland at least once in their lifetime. She crooned underneath them and began the short flight, sincerely hoping the young woman wouldn't mind the decision. Knowing it might, she did decide to speak again, knowing it might be a strange thing for her, but i would be easier than her rider shouting. If it discomforts you, do let me know.

— Ray Bradbury —