This Way to Paradise ~ { Tag } Marve/Tovalia

All the rest of the Northern Continent that Atricis left behind. Atricis' old Holds can be found within, as well as all the other Holds and Weyrs and old lands left behind.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:05 pm

Noon was just clicking into place when Varric's eyes started to open, and the young man rose to greet yet another midday afternoon. His heard hurt, thanks to staying up too late and drinking with his friends, but he'd had the freedom to be able to do so for a while now, and he was going to take it whenever he could. Frowning, he kicked away the covers and flopped back a moment, thinking it felt almost senseless to get up and revisit the same routines that he always did, but he would without complaint because he didn't want to upset or disappoint his family more than he was already certain he would have with his behavior last night. He supposed he acted the part of a behaved young man well enough, but the truth of the matter was that he hadn't been happy playing that part in a long while, and he was ready to break free of the Hold and fly away to someplace bigger and grander. Sure Benden had its charms and graces, and he should be more than happy that he had such a warm and comforting location to call his home. But for him it just wasn't a proper fit. He craved something on a grander scale, and his eyes had turned towards the South.

He knew of one way he could get himself there, and he thought about it as he went about getting prepared for the day - body, teeth, hair, clothes - but that wasn't really an option when he had yet to apologize to his cousin for the Turns of ignoring him after being such a brat for A'ric doing nothing more than being Searched, something he'd had no control over in the first place. Still, it was an option, and the only one he had, though there were others if he tried looking in the right spots, he supposed. Going to his Masters, for example, and seeing about getting transferred South. Surely there were mines down there that needed exploring or setting up. Or maybe the riders needed help with their work on finding veins of raw materials in their fight against Thread. He could do that, too! It was something that remained lodged in his mind was he made his way out to greet his parents and sisters for the day, joining them at their usual table in the dining hall for breakfast.

The girls were chatting about something he couldn't keep up with, Lisbet in particular, while Amarantha - ever the wise at her young age of ten - pretended to listen to the parts about boys that didn't interest her in the least. He grinned, sending her an That's my girl! silently before taking his first bite of fruit, his attention more focused on his parents and what they were saying to one another. He was all but certain of what they were going to say, but to his surprise, they said nothing of the sort. Instead they continued to ignore him for the tie being, and instead looked at one another, and on occasion over their shoulders towards the doors. That got him curious enough, but he didn't stop to say anything himself. Not until he heard their whispers a little more clearly, the more he ate, the less he tried to force himself to focus - when he tried to force it, he found, that just made the pain in his head throb all the more. You sure you heard right? A rider from the South coming here?" His father side, and his mother nodded, though she shrugged a little still. The man sat back and whistled, low under his breath. "I wonder what they'll be here for..." Search, most likely, Varric thought, and then that ideas he'd had earlier came forth, and he knew what he had to do.

He was going to present himself to that brown. Even if he had to push and claw and kick and scream his way to the front of the crowd It was the only way he was going to get the chance to have an audience with the rider, if the rumor was indeed the truth. And hey, maybe then he'd be able to... He smirked a little, in the direction of a few folks he wouldn't mind a roll with before departure. If only his morals allowed him to. But while he was within the walls of the Hold, he simply couldn't. Once he was at a Weyr though, New Atricis Weyr, to be specific, well... things were bound to change, and he itched already to be there, eager for everything he would encounter in the land his cousin A'ric now called home.
Dirce L'van D'kellen D'ante V'ric Na'vi K'rios J'on
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Fali'vas Koda'vis Melangell Cataren Sianca Feraliss Yaranavexa Rathiran

Compendium | NPC Archive | Wanted Connections | Marks Tracker | Emporium

[ Threads Wanted ]

“It's better to write something, anything, than to starve the monster. The monster must feed. And it will feed on your soul if not your words. Its appetite is insatiable. Write to save yourself from the monster.”
― Don Roff ―
Marvealle
Site Admin
Title: Foxy Prince
Pronouns: Any

Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:53 am

Tovalia had set out early that day. She had been given an assignment by her Wingleader. The Weyrleaders of Benden Weyr were already expecting Tova's arrival, so as soon as she was explained her assignment, Tovalia got ready and then headed out aboard Dracaenath to Benden Weyr. It wasn't terribly common that she was sent out to meet with Leadership directly, given she was a greenrider that was still young of age, but sometimes she was sent out on duties like these so that the Leaders of their Wing could focus on other work that was a bit more pressing. She wondered if her Wingleader was trying to push her into more responsibility, but it was likely all in her head.

Tovalia's first stop was at Benden Weyr that morning. She was donned in her riding leathers, clean and pristine due to being more of a formality than a necessity, seeing as she didn't fight Thread. She met with the Weyrwoman upon her arrival, and a quick meeting was held. It had already been discussed a little beforehand, so not much more was needed than a reassurance. New Atricis Weyr had a good relationship with Benden Weyr for many turns, and with a need to extend their Searches a little due to the South still being small in population compared to the North, they had asked Benden Weyr if they could conduct some Searches in their area. Some agreements were reached within an hour, how much Atricis could Search so that Benden's protective range didn't become taxed with all the Searches from two Weyrs instead of one. With her duties at Benden Weyr completed, Tova headed to her second stop. Benden Hold. Given that it was such a strong and large Hold, the Weyr had given Atricis permission for Searches there, so long as the Lord agreed too. This would be the hard part.

The Lord of Benden Hold was prepared for her arrival as well, and the meeting began straight away. Tovalia did her best from the get go to seem confident and like she could hold her own with a Lord. Being a woman and a Greenrider put her at a disadvantage with the man, so she needed to do anything she could to keep him from seeing her as less than, say, a Bronzerider, seeing as she was a Diplomat of New Atricis Weyr, as as a Diplomat she needed to be respected to at least some degree. Luckily, Lord Cador wasn't the worst of Holders to conduct such a meeting with, and he was at least open to what Tovalia was here to talk with him about. Of course, that didn't mean it was all taken care of quickly, she did have to convince him a little, assure that while they have Benden Weyr's blessing Atricis Weyr wouldn't be conducting very many Searches and not only at Benden Hold. She had to conduct herself carefully, complimenting his Hold's prosperity as part of her case, saying that the Hold was so prosperous and strong that it would barely notice another Weyr selecting a few youths for Candidacy in the South. It would be like extending Benden Hold's strength to the South as well. That helped a lot.

After long talks, Tovalia was invited to a fine afternoon meal with the Lord and his family. This was where Tova found diplomacy hard. It was one thing to talk and negotiate and work from a script in her mind, another to seem social. She wouldn't turn down the invitation though, and she enjoyed lunch with the Lord and Lady of the Hold, doing her best to converse with them and seem attentive when they spoke. When the meal was finished the Lord had to excuse himself to attend to his own duties, and the Lady wasn't far behind.

"Thank you for your time and company today," Tovalia had bid them both before being shown out of the Lord's home and back into the Hold itself.

How did it go? Dracaenath asked when she sensed that Tova was now free from her meeting.

I think it went well! New Atricis will be able to conduct some Searches here now, and some of the cotholds near this Hold too.

Good, because it seems I have attracted a crowed.

Sure enough, Dracaenath had a small group of people around her in the courtyard, a lot of them youths hoping to be Searched clearly, others just curious or excited onlookers.

"Lady, lady!" A young voice caleld to Tovalia, yanking on her riding jacket too. She looked down at the obviously very young child who pointed back at the dragon. "Is that your dragon." the child asked with wonder and excitement that Tova couldn't help but smile at.

"Yes, that's my Dracaenath." A moment later, the child's parent rushed over, apologizing before ushering the child away so that Tovalia could get to her dragon.

(I hope that post works for you, if not let me know and I can try adding a little more.)
Atricis: Next Generation
~..:: Character & Thread Tracker | Marks Tracker ::..~
Nali ..::||::.. K'rin ..::||::.. M'ir ..::||::.. Raevin ..::||::.. Inakil ..::||::.. Elias ..::||::.. Sterling ..::||::.. Lolena'vas ..::||::.. Rey'vas
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Ember

Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:42 pm

Breakfast has long been over, and now he was free to roam, and even look around for the dragon in question. It wasn't around and had in fact been missed. The first rumored one at least. He'd been disappointed by that fact, and had considered scampering off to the mines to tend to the duties he was supposed to tend to on a normal, regular day. The last thing he wanted to do was be yelled at for not tending to something he should be, and for all he knew, the dragon wasn't even going to show up. The one from the south, the one that was supposed to be in attendance. How was to have known that there was going to be two, if that ended up being the case, and what if the second, if there was indeed two, going to show up?

It turned out he didn't need to wait long to find out. He heard a squeal come from one of the young girls his sister Amarantha sometimes played with and gave a startled jump in the air. Her mother admonished her of course, not for startling him, but for the sound she'd made which had been quite unlady like to begin with. The little girl didn't care though, there was a green dragon outside, and not just any, but the prettiest one she had ever seen. "Wanna god see, Momma!" She insisted, and was off before her mother could stop her, which both amused and intrigued Vare to no end. Perhaps this was the fabled southern dragon he'd heard was supposed to be in attendance on this day?

A quick peek outside told him that there was indeed a dragon, but as far as he could tell there wasn't a rider around. A shame really, considering he wanted to see if there was a chance to speak to one. If he couldn't be searched by the dragon, he at least wanted to see if he could present himself for candidacy. Was that even a thing? Did candidates get plucked up based on merit alone, and not the natural ability some dragons seemed to have? Hm, that was a question he would have to ask the rider, if he ever found them.

Would waiting outside be considered creepy?

He wanted to wait outside.

He was going to wait outside.

Doing so, he found a place near where the others were gathering, but not quite in the way that the green might be smothered by too many eyes on her at once. Thankfully he didn't seem to be the only one interested, and he recognized plenty of other agemates who must have likewise been curious about seeking out a search. Did they know where they would be going if they were successful in gaining the favor of the green? Or how did it work exactly? Did he stick himself under her nose and let her sniff his hair? He grab it, ruffled it, then brought his palm to his nose. Yeah, good thing he'd washed it that morning just in case.

When he spotted someone in leathers coming away from the Hold, he decided that she had to be the rider, and as they got closer, so did he, stopping only when he noticed the children approaching her as well. He might have been excited, but he wasn't rude enough to shove children aside to get to her and her dragon, no matter how eager he was to get to the Southern Continent. When he finally reached her side though, he gave a little bow to her and her dragon, recognizing the respect that the two of them deserved, even if he didn't understand their full purpose at the Hold on today of all days. "Greetings! I was wondering... you two," he pointed at Tovalia, then Dracaenath. "You're from New Atricis, if the whispers I've been hearing are to be belived, is that correct? Because if so, I need to know how I gain favor enough to be taken there as a candidate."

(Your response was perfect and gave me plenty, Marve! <3 Thank you! <3)

[ Threads Wanted ]

“It's better to write something, anything, than to starve the monster. The monster must feed. And it will feed on your soul if not your words. Its appetite is insatiable. Write to save yourself from the monster.”
― Don Roff ―
Marvealle
Site Admin

Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:50 am

Despite being not the most social of people regularly, Tovalia was actually fairly used to holdfolk being interested in her and Dracaenath when she came around to them on Diplomacy Wing work. Many Holds didn't see dragons and riders all the time, and she had the allure of being from the Southern Weyr New Atricis. So all the interest and children showing her attention didn't bother her much, allowing her to take it all in stride. Because of all that, she wasn't terribly taken aback whem a young man seemed to have approached her and bowed to her. The bow did catch her a little bit off guard, but not totally, since not all holdbred males looked down on her rank just because she was a woman, after all. She listened to him as he greeted her and then asked his series of questions.

"Yes, we are from New Atricis Weyr," she confirmed with a nod. "Perhaps the best, and easiest way to become a candidate is to be Searched by a dragon. Many dragons have an innate sense for who have the best minds for bonding. Have you ever been presented to a Search Dragon before?"

It wasn't strange to be asked such a question directly, although for a moment she thought he was a little old, but had to remind herself that there were candidates her age for dragons, she had just bonded young. This young man didn't look much older than her, if he was at all, so he was probably still within age, but to be safe...

"How old are you? I ask because there is an age limit for dragon candidacy, if dragons is what you are looking for."
Nali ..::||::.. K'rin ..::||::.. M'ir ..::||::.. Raevin ..::||::.. Inakil ..::||::.. Elias ..::||::.. Sterling ..::||::.. Lolena'vas ..::||::.. Rey'vas
Ember

Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:57 pm

This was a way then, this was his ticket to getting to the South. He was practically vibrating with excitement and had to restrain himself from draping over the green dragon and lavishing her with affection. He was not strange, he wanted her to like him. He wanted her to see in him something that was innately good, not something that threw her off. Whatever it was that dragons found when it came to Search, he hoped that she saw it in him because he was hopeful and he was eager; he wanted away from here. Please, you beautiful creature. You will be my favorite, from this point forward, if you give me this chance. No dragon will ever match you, until I receive my own, and even then you will hold the number two position in my heart. From this day forward I promise you. That little set of words said to himself, he then kept mentally silent.

"That's good to know, ma'am, lady dragon." He bowed his head towards Dracaenath and smiled politely at her. "I'm hoping to find myself under her scrutiny, and maybe even her approval. My name is Varric, I'm a Journeyman in the Minecraft, twenty-one Turns of age as of the present Turn." He chewed on the inside of his cheek for a moment, uncertainty nibbling at his belly. That wasn't too old was it? "Would it be considered an ineligible age or do I find myself fitting right in?" And then, another question came to mind, and he found himself asking it before really giving her a chance to process the first, because he was so eager to have this take place. "If I don't receive a Search here today, can I still appeal to be taken South with you, apply for candidacy there when the time comes? I will gladly pay you for the ferry."

[ Threads Wanted ]

― Don Roff ―
Marvealle
Site Admin

Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:49 am

It wasn't likely that Dracaenath actually heard the young man's mental plea, as he had not been gifted in such a way, but his strong mental reach for her did attract her attention more than his mere presence had before. She had been looking around at the people who hung at the edges to see her, but now, she looked at the young man directly, her head posed to get a good look at him while he and his rider spoke.

Meanwhile, Tovalia was relieved that his age was within the limit. She wouldn't have to break his hopes and dreams there at least, though if Dracaenath saw something in him or not... that was easier for Tovalia to handle than a, "sorry, you missed your chance, better luck never." What she really didn't expect was to be asked to ferry him to the South even if he didn't receive a Search. She blinked for a moment as she registered and considered what he said.

"Ah, well, you are of age, so I suppose..." She couldn't help but trail off a moment, glancing back at Dracaenath behind her for a moment. Dracaenath, however, took this moment to insert herself into the exchange.

Let him closer. I want to get a closer look.

Tovalia recognized that mental tone and that attentive gaze. At the very least, there was something about the young man Varric that interested her. Normally she wasn't so serious or attentive to one person when they were out or when she had attracted a small crowd of curious eyes.

"How about you come closer first. Dracaenath here wants to have a look at you." She waved Varric closer, before taking a step to the side to let him past her and closer to her green.

Dracaenath sat in place in the yard, not standing to move, and letting Varric get as close to her as he dared. She might not have been a large dragon, but a dragon to someone not used to them could be quite intimidating. She craned her neck out to get close to him, her faceted eyes whirling thoughtfully as she took in his appearance and the feel of his mind. For the moment, Tovalia stood aside and let the exchange happen, though she did keep a watchful eye.
Ember

Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:25 am

Despite having been born so close to Benden Weyr, Varric had never been this close to a dragon before. Not even the aged watchdragon had deemed the children of the Hold worthy of having his attention, so it was rare when they had more than a glimpse or two of his presence from time to time from the heights. It wasn't that he was intimidated to be around her, he was more... uncertain. What if he said the wrong thing, or thought the wrong thing towards her? What if he smelled wrong? Did dragons find certain human smells more appealing then others? Would it even be possible that she would shove him aside and not even allow him the chance to appeal her decision if she decided he wasn't worth her time after all? Did dragons offer second chances?

He knew his nervous thoughts wouldn't help him, but calming them didn't seem to be working either. He tried not to frown, and mostly succeeded in holding it back, so he continued forward at the discretion of the rider. Okay, Vare... don't trip against her. Don't flutter. Don't break apart. Don't cry. Don't spit when you speak. Faranth, please, don't spit. Remember that one time you were speaking to Imaren and all he could do was sputter in your face and he wouldn't take the damn hint? Don't do that here. That would ruin your chances for good.

Ever closer he got to the green, and the nearer he became, the more he decided that she was a pretty creature. From a distance, it was obvious that she was attractive. This close? Already he could hear his sister, Lisbet, whining over how much she was jealous of the fact that he got to meet a pretty green, because it was her favorite color. He found himself soon face to face - almost - with Dracaenath and once there, he bowed politely and spoke as a gentleman would speak to a lady he was meeting for the first time at an evening gathering. "Dear lady, it is a pleasure to meet you, and I thank you for your consideration today. I hope that you find me worthy to be a candidate on your Weyr's sands, but if not... I will understand."

He would be disappointed, but he would understand.

[ Threads Wanted ]

― Don Roff ―
Marvealle
Site Admin

Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:13 pm

Tovalia stood by, watching Varric get closer to Dracaenath. He was clearly respectful to the both the dragon and the rider, Tovalia thought as he bowed to Dracaenath. Even if he was mostly doing it to get in good graces with them, the fact he bowed to a woman and a green dragon and showed them any respect was potentially a good thing to see in holdfolk being considered for candidacy.

Dracaenath let him speak his words, listening to him, her eyes whirling a little faster in interest. She didn't bespeak him directly though as she inspected him. She didn't need much more than a few moments to get a mental feel for him. She was a sensitive dragon to the minds around her, and from this close she could feel from his mind what she needed to know. Still, she made a little bit of a show of it, making Tovalia have to stifle a chuckle as she sniffed at Varric and nudged his chest with her nose. She gave a good sniff of his hair before drawing back, rumbling in a way that anyone not used to dragons wouldn't be able to interpret, but Tovalia knew what it meant.

He definitely has potential. He has a good mind for a dragon. He'll make a good candidate.

Tovalia nodded.

"Good thing we were here today to negotiate with the Lord about conducting Searches here sometimes. Dracaenath senses your potential, you'd make a good candidate for Dragons."
Ember

Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:40 am

Concern filtered through him as silence suddenly reigned. He knew that he was under Dracaenath's scrutiny, and that was perhaps the reason for the sudden lack of sound from rider or dragon, but it was still a slight bit unsettling as he was made to stand there before the great green (and there was no reason for him to think of her in any other terms but great, he thought). He tried not to fidget, for he wasn't the type to do that, and instead stepped on his foot to force himself to stand still. Eventually it worked, and before too long, it was over with.

At least it seemed that way, if the rider's voice was any indication, and the words she spoke were of the sweetest lyrics he had ever heard in his life: he was found worthy, rather than trying. He was going to go South, to New Atricis! It was ever so tempting to thrust a fist in the air and whoop and holler, but then he knew for certain that their minds would be changed, and they would leave without him. He wasn't going to risk taking that chance, so he kept his hand planted firm to his side, and let his shit-eating grin speak for itself.

"I'm going to pinch myself all the way to my parents, and speak to them, then pinch my way all the way to my room to pack, then hopefully by then everything you've just said will have sunk in and I'll believe this isn't all a dream." He bowed again before the green and Tovalia, excitement causing him to shift so impatiently from foot to foot it was really a surprise he wasn't wearing a groove into the stone beneath both of his feet. "I'll be right back, please... please don't leave without me!"

More than once he looked over his shoulder as he turned to leave, and just as he promised, he pinched himself continuously during his trip inside the hold. He spoke to his parents and while they were sad, there was nothing they could do about it given his age. His mother was quick to load up a bag of brews for his cousin A'ric, his sisters wouldn't stop hugging him, and his father patted him on the back, not used to showing emotion as it was. By the time he had finished packing, his mother had as well, and if it weren't for his natural born strength, he might not have been able to haul the pack she'd handed over to him.

He finally made it out of the Hold, and returned to Tovalia with a little package from his mother: some finely made cheese, and a bottle of aged Benden for her to enjoy it with in thanks for the Search she'd presented her son with. "My mother insisted." He said, ducking his head as he offered it to the greenrider. "I wasn't sure if you'd accept it or not, but she wouldn't take no for an answer, and said she'd refuse if either of us tried to bring it back to her."

[ Threads Wanted ]

― Don Roff ―
Marvealle
Site Admin

Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:22 pm

Tovalia chuckled when Varric admitted to pinching himself all the way to his parents and back. For Tovalia, her own Search hadn't elicited the same feelings, but even so, she did like seeing the candidates who just couldn't believe this was happening. When he nearly begged her not to leave without him though, she waved her hand.

"I promise, we won't be leaving without you. Although I can go with you to talk to your family," she offered to him, but it seemed he didn't need it. Sometimes, the family needed the rider there to talk to in order to convince them to let their child go. It helped though that Varric was a young adult and not a child. Even if his family didn't approve, he could leave anyways if he wanted. Of course, she hoped it wouldn't come to that for him.

*What if his family doesn't take it well?* Dracaenath asked her rider, nuzzling her as she did.

*We take him to Atricis anyways, if he still wants to. It's not our job to deal with familial disputes as long as he can legally leave without his family's permission.*

Dracaenath rumbled in thought for a moment as Tovalia thought to herself in silence. Dracaenath couldn't help but curiously take a peek at Tova's mind, reaching and feeling and seeing what her rider was seeing in her mind at that moment. She saw Tovalia's parents, and felt feelings of sadness and loss. It wasn't the first time Dracaenath had seen and felt those things from Tova, but it seemed it was strongest when they searched candidates with close families.

*Maybe you should have gone with him to help.* Dracaenath suggested, but Tova shook her head.

*No, I'm sure he doesn't need my help. I think I'd rather not be there if things go wrong anyways.*

The pair waited for him, Tovalia sitting between Dracaenath's front legs, resting her back against the Green. She yawned a little, only to snap her mouth shut when Dracaenath warned her that Varric was coming back. Quickly, Tovalia stood up, brushing any dirt off her riding leathers so as to still look as presentable as a Diplomat rider should. However, when Varric presented her with the package, for just a moment she stared in surprise, before accepting the gift.

"I take it your parents are happy with your Search then," Tova said with a chuckle, almost feeling silly that she worried Varric would come back in less than positive sorts. "Next time I'm up here I'll deliver a thank you to your mother."

With that, Tovalia helped Varric get his things onto Dracaenath, Tova securing his things with straps that she brought with her for just this reason. Once everything was secure enough for the flight and hop between, Tovalia climbed up onto Dracaenath and then waved Varric up behind her.

"Ready to go? You'll need to hold on tight to make sure you don't fall, especially when we jump between. It'll be quick though, we'll be at New Atricis Weyr in a blink."