Who's Asking Who for What? - Parker | Sid

Even with the move to the South, Gathers are still a thing to look forward to, though in the Walled Hold they appear to be called Festivals instead. Either way, Gathers and Festivals are a time of fun to enjoy when they come around.
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:22 am

(continuing from Dance Square for Sid'nis and Ambrosius)

Glancing away from the man, Ambrosius distracted himself from the obvious with thoughts of Lady Inez and Lady Rhianwen and how they were not present at the moment. Confounding women! Did they really want to give themselves away so easily? After everything the three of them had been through...

Weyr life softened them, making them forget the grander scheme of their lives here in the south. If one plan failed, they needed a contingency, though such contingencies would fail before they ever began if they did not watch themselves. What if someone discove-

"Uh...hello. I'm Sid'nis, rider of Blue Iolith." Out of courtesy the candidate accepted the offered hand, though he did so with the stunned look of a gaping fish. "I don't mean to bother you, but I remember you from Benden Hold. You probably don't remember me."

"I..." Words failed him.

"You're the first familiar face I've seen and you seemed to have the same idea as me. Enjoying the music and watching the dancers. Oh...and of course a good drink. How have you enjoyed the Gather so far?"

Ambrosius continued to stare at the man before he caught the man's mug of ale which reminded the youth of his goblet of wine. With a passing glance to the swirling fluids, he turned back to the man. "I... well..." Normally a man of eloquence, it appeared Ambrosius' tongue failed him at this time. Though the why evaded him, the cause remained obvious: the man before him. He took a deep breath before he finally found the words to utter. "I believe you have me at a disadvantage, Bluerider Sid'nis. I fear I do not recall your face, and it seems like one I would easily remember." His heart made a massive thud, indicating the sudden gaffe. Rather than apologise and draw attention to the remark, he swallowed his tongue with his wine, holding his silence for the meantime.
Parker
Site Admin
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him

Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:21 pm

Sid couldn't help but smile at the reaction he'd caused in the young man. He certainly didn't mean to startle him or leave him bereft of words. The bluerider was simply looking for a familiar face and some company. While he would likely never admit to it, not even himself, Sid had been feeling rather lonely lately. Spending most of the Gather alone had only made him feel even more lonely. Seeing V'an had also reopened old wounds and caused the perfect memories of all they'd gone through to assault his mind more. Sid couldn't help but wonder if he would ever truly escape Kerberos or if he was doomed to live with those dark memories hanging above his head. Only Iolith knew the troubles of his rider's heart and the blue wanted to try and make him feel better.

"I believe you have me at a disadvantage, Bluerider Sid'nis. I fear I do not recall your face, and it seems like one I would easily remember."

"To be fair, I don't believe we were ever formally introduced. I just have a knack for remembering faces." Sid explained as a slight blush decorated his cheeks at the man's compliment. At least...he thought that was a compliment and planned on taking it as such. The glass of ale was raised to his lips to cover his own awkwardness. "The Seahold has out done itself today, I'd say. It's been awhile since I've been to a Gather." He said continuing the small talk.

"I don't believe I caught your name." He said, wishing to know what to call his companion by. Though, there was a part of him that worried the man didn't give it because he wasn't really in the mood for company.
Image Image Image Image Image
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Candidate Carver | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

.::..::..::..::..::..
PC Character Tracker | Marks Tracker | NPC Stash
Shaihulud

Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:30 am

If the man recognised his gaffe (or compliment) he gave no indication of it to Ambrosius, or at least he gave no indication the youth could discern.

"To be fair, I don't believe we were ever formally introduced. I just have a knack for remembering faces."

Ambrosius supposed that made sense, especially when one considered his company over the last few Turns. He could also chalk it up to the fact that the Weyr provided him residence for nearly a Turn now... though that only reminded the youth of the fact he failed to Impress during that time. In another few months he would turn Twenty-one. On his twenty-third birthday, without Impression, his candidacy would come to an abrupt end with an uncertain future. He came to New Atricis to secure one, but thus far it continued to evade him.

Sid'nis took a sip of his drink, and in turn, Ambrosius took a sip of his own if only to mask his awkwardness that wanted to present itself in abundance tonight.

"The Seahold has out done itself today, I'd say. It's been awhile since I've been to a Gather."

With a cursory scan, Ambrosius found himself agreeing with the bluerider. "I concur. I don't recall it ever looking so illustrious." To the youth, after Turns at the side of nobility, he would even go as far as to call it decadent, though he was one of the few who would mean that as a compliment. "Myself and my Ladies resided in the Hold for a time before my Lady Inez and myself were Searched." Why Inez accepted the Search, Ambrosius did not know, though he certainly knew his own reasons well. He grew tired of hiding, and a life as a rider prove far more promising than a life as a lying Steward ever could. Living in New Atricis taught Ambrosius one bitter truth: it was only a matter of time before someone found him out.

"I don't believe I caught your name."

"Oh, my apologies," Ambrosius replied, feeling another onslaught of embarrassment before he possessed enough courtesy to extend his own hand. Did they shake already? After a glass and a half of wine, he could not exactly recall. "I am Ambrosius, previous Steward Assistant to Lord Cador of Benden Hold." He gave a chuckle over the thought of his excursion over the last few months. "Though I suppose since I accepted that Search, I am merely a candidate now until the powers-that-be decide otherwise." Out of habit (or out of nerves) Ambrosius peered about the ample heads present at the dance floor, yet still he failed to spot his Ladies. Hopefully they would reveal themselves in due time.

Not wanting to be a bore to the gentlemanly bluerider before him, Ambrosius motioned to a table where they might both sit as they polished off their glasses. "This is my first Gather in the South, actually. I... do not believe the climate agrees with me-" he gave a chuckle, for he believed that Sid'nis, a fellow Bendenite, might understand his plight with the heat- "Imagine my disappointment back at the Weyr when not a single snowflake fell. I never thought I'd miss a good blizzard."
Parker
Site Admin

Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:16 pm

"I concur. I don't recall it ever looking so illustrious. Myself and my Ladies resided in the Hold for a time before my Lady Inez and myself were Searched."

Sid'nis listened and was a little stunned at the company the man kept. Though, he supposed that being from Benden it was not too terribly surprising that this man knew of Lady Inez. The way he was dressed indicated that he might be some one of importance as well. "You are close with the Lady Inez?" He asked curiously. Though, if the two of them were Searched together he could figure they were close. "I recently had the opportunity to be formally introduced to her as well. In the archives back at the weyr. Apparently we share a taste in books." Sid explained. He wasn't exactly sure how to say that meeting had went, good or bad.

"I am Ambrosius, previous Steward Assistant to Lord Cador of Benden Hold. Though I suppose since I accepted that Search, I am merely a candidate now until the powers-that-be decide otherwise."

The apology was waved off with a smile. Sid took a hold of the man's extended hand and gave it a firm shake. "Ambrosius, it's my pleasure." He said with a wide dimpled smile. "Steward Assistant, that is impressive." Sid said with honest feeling. "Nothing wrong with being merely a candidate. The bond of a dragon is worth...well, everything." Sid said as his smile softened at the thought of his own bond with Iolith. The blue sent back feelings of love and warmth. He was happy to feel his rider having a good time. Sid'nis had never stood as a candidate, but he knew that his blue was worth everything.

"This is my first Gather in the South, actually. I... do not believe the climate agrees with me. Imagine my disappointment back at the Weyr when not a single snowflake fell. I never thought I'd miss a good blizzard."

Sid followed Ambrosius over to a table and took a seat with the man. He ponders a moment before he realizes something and speaks. "This is also the first Gather I've been to in the South. The last one wasn't a traditional Gather, from what I heard. It was a masquerade party. Before that...I believe it was the giant Festival Walled Hold threw in honor of New Atricis's grand opening. I was still in Benden at that time though." Sid'nis probably would still be in Benden if it wasn't for Mul'rec transferring. Sid laughed along with Ambrosius. "I feel your sentiments exactly. I was not a fan of this heat either. Took a long time to finally adjust to it. Even now there are days all I want to do is strip and swim in the coldest water possible." Perhaps that was too much information to be sharing for someone he just met. Sid blushed a little and moved on. "Yes, I miss the snow too. It does snow down here but you have go further South to find any. " He downed a good half of his ale then as his eyes moved between watching the people dance and watching Ambrosius. "What do you think of weyr life so far?"
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Candidate Carver | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

Shaihulud

Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:50 am

The bluerider seemed to take the youth in good stride, leaving Ambrosius to feel comfortable in his company... or perhaps that was the wine talking. Like Sid'nis, he two took down much of his drink, though he left enough to swirl at the bottom of his glass as a reminder to take his time with his drink.

You are close with the Lady Inez?"

"Yes," he answered simply, not at all surprised that Sid'nis recognised the name, especially when he considered the ease of how he recognised Ambrosius himself.

"I recently had the opportunity to be formally introduced to her as well. In the archives back at the weyr. Apparently we share a taste in books."

Though perhaps he should not speak too much about his Lady, he could not help but add a detail or two about them that seemed benign enough to the casual observer. "Yes, her interest in literature. She and Lady Rhianwen read for sport, or so it seems. Her tastes for literature are as broad yet precise as her palette for food." Even Ambrosius found himself enjoying much of the literature they partook in, for he read the same pieces quietly to the side where he would not be noticed.

"Steward Assistant, that is impressive. Nothing wrong with being merely a candidate. The bond of a dragon is worth...well, everything."

Under normal circumstances, such a remark was made with disdain, the condescending tone palpable to his ears alone. With Sid'nis, he heard only sincerity. "Yes, it is, though it is also expected at my age. I believe I am approaching my limitations in regards to my advancements within my Hold. Naturally with the invitation given to try my luck on the Sands, I realised I might prove more valuable to the Weyr than the Hold, so I decided to accept the offer." Another variable factored into his decision, though he never in his life would ever willingly discuss it. "How long have you been a rider for? Did you... stand long?" Often Ambrosius found himself asking those two questions, if only because he felt his lifespan with the candidate barracks shortening rapidly one day at a time. Did he stand a chance? Or would he soon find himself with the confines of the Benden Hold once more, hiding himself from all prying eyes? He hid such worries from his features for all they continually worried at him.
Parker
Site Admin

Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:46 am

Sid went to take another drink of his ale only to be disappointed to find the glass rather empty. Lucky for him there was a worker making rounds with a tray of drinks so he quickly ordered one while trying to not miss anything Ambrosius said. This was only his second glass, but he wasn't a big drinker so it would likely be his last. He took another drink of the ale in appreciation of it's taste.

"Yes, her interest in literature. She and Lady Rhianwen read for sport, or so it seems. Her tastes for literature are as broad yet precise as her palette for food."

"Lady Rhianwen....I recognize the name, but I haven't been formally introduced." Sid'nis said, recalling easily. Being a mere rider of Benden Weyr he didn't exactly meet the high and noble of Benden. "Yes, I'm not too ashamed to say that I share at least one similar interest as she. Master Ostivel's works were what we both were seeking in the archives." Sid had read the book he'd picked up from cover to cover already and remembered every page. Whether or not it was because of his genius mind or just an odd talent, Sid could read anything at a very fast pace and still remember it. "I can't say I read too often" He admitted.

"Naturally with the invitation given to try my luck on the Sands, I realised I might prove more valuable to the Weyr than the Hold, so I decided to accept the offer."

Sid'nis could understand the reason why Ambrosius had decided to stand. Hold life was not the kindest to the common person. There wasn't much room for advancement, that much he knew. It wasn't like being part of a craft or being a rider. "I don't blame you. I'm sure the weyr would do well with a man of your experience and skills. It seems like a lot of holders don't under that a weyr isn't just composed of fighters and what have you. There's a lot of...well, there a lot of skills similar to what a Steward does that has to be done. I'm only a Wingrider and even I know the paperwork that is involved with the higher ranks." Sid'nis stated. He hoped to one day get at least Wingthird. Anything higher than that...he didn't think he was interested in since he wasn't willing to give up too much time with his son.

"How long have you been a rider for? Did you... stand long?"

Another drink of his ale was taken, making him feel warm and tingly all over. The company he currently also made him feel more relaxed. So far Ambrosius was turning out to be a wonderful companion to talk to. "I have been a rider for eight turns now." He answer the first question proudly. "I....well...I didn't stand." He answer the second question with a smirk. "I was a rather newly made Journeyman in my craft and my first Journeyman assignment was to Atricis Weyr. I'd been there almost a turn. It was during one of the hatchings where I was assigned to in case of mauling that my blue, Iolith, decided to impress to me. I was very surprised." Sid'nis explained before taking another drink of his ale. "Don't worry, Ambrosius. The dragon always knows. If I happened to impress....there is a good chance that you will as well." He said trying to encourage the man as a hand reached out to pat him on the arm.
Image Image Image Image

Shaihulud

Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:01 pm

"I don't blame you. I'm sure the weyr would do well with a man of your experience and skills. It seems like a lot of holders don't under that a weyr isn't just composed of fighters and what have you. There's a lot of...well, there a lot of skills similar to what a Steward does that has to be done. I'm only a Wingrider and even I know the paperwork that is involved with the higher ranks."

"You think so?" Ambrosius responded in genuine surprise, not at all aware of the similarities between Wingriders and Stewards. And if he did not Impress? For a moment he pondered his abilities, attempting to recall a correlating position established in the Weyr he might qualify for... What about an assistant to the Headwoman? Ambrosius felt he had ample experience for such a position, or perhaps he could work under that newly established "Envoy Wing" as a non-rider... He nearly became lost in thought, ruminating over the various possibilities. For all he loved the Hold and the rich life they provided him, Ambrosius recognised how the nature of the Hold forced him to continue living the lie. If he came out now and revealed his identity... the man shuddered at the repercussions. But in the Weyr they would embrace Ambrosius, perhaps even sympathise with him over the reasoning of his choices for over half his life. Would they not accept the youth no matter who they were?

"I have been a rider for eight turns now. I....well...I didn't stand. I was a rather newly made Journeyman in my craft and my first Journeyman assignment was to Atricis Weyr. I'd been there almost a turn. It was during one of the hatchings where I was assigned to in case of mauling that my blue, Iolith, decided to impress to me. I was very surprised. Don't worry, Ambrosius. The dragon always knows. If I happened to impress....there is a good chance that you will as well."

The young man tried to listen to the bluerider even as his thoughts of the future distracted him, but when Sid'nis patted his arm...

... the bluerider had the youth's full attention now. Even his skin listened keenly to the man, his eyes, for the place where the bluerider touched him felt instantly hot.

He's just being friendly. To wash away the sudden flare of unnecessary and uncalled for excitement, Ambrosius polished off his glass of wine. Whether Sid'nis was the culprit or the wine, the long gaunt cheeks of the young man flushed like blossoming roses. Ambrosius blamed the wine. "I-I-well-I mean-I..." rather than continue on the path of broken speech, Ambrosius took a deep breath in an attempt to regain his composure, only to chuckle at his foolish display. "I'm sorry. I suddenly find myself at a loss of words over what you said." Did Sid'nis make the remark as a compliment to the candidate or a put down to himself? "I think the fact you Impressed as a non-candidate just says something more about yourself, right? I mean... your dragon searched you out instead of just... choosing someone readily available to him, someone like me. Doesn't that actually show you are more valuable as a rider than the average candidate?" Considering the circumstance, the reasoning behind it, Ambrosius felt his had arrived at the most logical conclusion of Sid'nis success and his own failure.
Parker
Site Admin

Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:11 am

"You think so?"

Sid'nis couldn't help but smile at the surprise that was evident in the man's voice. "Yeah, I do. There are even occupations that require those sorts of skills that aren't filled by riders. The Headwoman..." he made an feigned exhausted face, "Every time I see her she is attempting to do three things at once. I don't think you could give me enough marks to have her job." He was by no means a lazy man, but he'd rather deal with the complications and intricacies of putting a wing sail back together than trying to keep the Weyr running properly.

"I-I-well-I mean-I...I'm sorry. I suddenly find myself at a loss of words over what you said."

The way Ambrosius stumbled and tripped over his words were quite endearing. Sid, normally a bit oblivious to things, could easily spot the blush on the man's cheeks. Was the blush caused because of the wine or because of himself? The more logical conclusion was that the wine was the reason, but there was a part of Sid that liked the idea of him being the cause. A small chuckle was given along with Ambrosius's laugh. "I didn't mean to get you tongue tied." He stated with some amusement.

"I think the fact you Impressed as a non-candidate just says something more about yourself, right? I mean... your dragon searched you out instead of just... choosing someone readily available to him, someone like me. Doesn't that actually show you are more valuable as a rider than the average candidate?"

A quizzical look formed on Sid's face as he ruminated on Ambrosius's thoughts. "I could see why you would think that, but don't forget the fact you were Searched. Hand picked by a dragon. That accounts for something." Sid said kindly, not wanting Ambrosius to think that he wasn't valuable. "I think the old saying still proves the best. The dragon always knows. Doesn't matter if you impress as a candidate or from the stands. They will pick who they wish to. Don't sell yourself short." He put more encouragement in the tone of his voice. His light blue eyes watched as the song changed and the dancers either moved off for a break or began to dance anew. The music was beautiful and he couldn't help catch himself humming along with it. A small wave of jealousy rushed through him as he watched the partners laughing and having fun.

Ask him to dance. Iolith poked him with encouragement. What? Sid asked with some surprise at his dragon. You're not deaf, Sid. Ask him to dance. You want to dance, he would probably enjoy it. Gathers are meant to be enjoyed. Might as well enjoy it fully. Iolith stated. Sid couldn't help but smile at that and realize that his dragon was right. This was a Gather, he should be a little bold and truly enjoy himself.

Sid couldn't help but blush a little as he worked up the courage. He felt warm and numb all over as he downed the rest of his drink for some liquid courage. A dimpled smile turned to face Ambrosius once he was positive he had the nerve he needed. "Forgive my boldness, but would you give me the honor of a dance, Ambrosius?"
Image Image Image Image

Shaihulud

Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:18 am

How easily did the youth find himself falling into conversation with this man, for he forgot himself for a time when they spoke. Whether he attributed the cause to the dimple in the bluerider's smile, his calm voice, or his pleasant demeanour, Ambrosius could not help but return those glances and smirks with his own, and always accompanied by frequent blushes and his own subtle teasing remarks.

"I didn't mean to get you tongue tied."

"I only get tongue tied around intriguing company," Ambrosius managed back with a playful twinkle. He blamed the wine, but the smooth fluids only made him more bold with his honest opinion of the bluerider.

"Forgive my boldness, but would you give me the honor of a dance, Ambrosius?"

"A dance?" Whatever simper he possessed now vanished, replaced by wide eyed incredulity. "Y-you want to dance with... me?" Holdbred values already assaulted his morals over the sin behind such an action, yet another part of him challenged it, arguing that when one considered his unique circumstances... But prying eyes would not know the truth, and he knows nothing about me. Our interests do not align as he believes them to. And what if Inez or Rhianwen saw him? Him? With Sid'nis... him to him, hand to hand, hip to hip, hem to hem... He faltered, though not for lack of interest. "Sh-sh-should we? I mean..." He gulped down his nerve for all it persisted within him, gilding his face with fire. "I've never lead a m-man before, and I have never been a follow." And what would people say when they saw them? Though Ambrosius never said it, he indicated the fear between his spoken words.
Parker
Site Admin

Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:22 am

"I only get tongue tied around intriguing company,"

Sid'nis couldn't help but return the playful look in his eyes with one of his own. "I will take that as a compliment. I'm normally the...ah...boring, plain one of the group." He smirked back at Ambrosius. Sid knew that he was quite straight-laced compared to some people, therefore he lacked some of the...excitement that other less straight-laced people possessed. He couldn't help it as it was certainly The bluerider was finding the man's company even more enjoyable than he expected it to be, which made him feel even more at ease with him and not notice how he was smirking and smiling at the man.

Despite the liquid courage he'd consumed and was now starting to make him feel warm, Sid couldn't help but wait anxiously for Ambrosius's answer to his bold invitation. The bluerider sort of wished he had more alcohol to sip on as he waited with his nerves.

"A dance? Y-you want to dance with... me? Sh-sh-should we? I mean...I've never lead a m-man before, and I have never been a follow."

Sid had a feeling that would be the initial reaction from the man. He smiled warmly at Ambrosius. "Yes, I want to dance with you. Why wouldn't I?" He said with a small chuckle, though his voice rang with truth. "Why shouldn't we?" He countered the man's question. "Look, I understand. I was holdbred as well, so I understand the...struggle with being so open with such things. Weyrlife has taught me, however, that it is much more enjoyable to dance with who you want regardless of what others might thing." Sid's hand moved to pat Ambr's arm again, only this time it stayed laying on his arm. "If it's a matter of leading, you are more than welcome to lead. I can do both." He said with a grin as he stood to his feet. "Please? You really don't have to if you don't want to, but...I would very much enjoy this opportunity." His hand was held out in invitation to the fair-haired man, the look in his eyes were hopeful.
Image Image Image Image