Dragon Jousting [Evanoria Gather 2045]

Even with the move to the South, Gathers are still a thing to look forward to, though in the Walled Hold they appear to be called Festivals instead. Either way, Gathers and Festivals are a time of fun to enjoy when they come around.
Isilsk

Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:16 pm

Dragon Jousting Betting
~Muse Music~
A few well known jousters of Walled's Legion has decided to put on quite the show for those attending the Gather and Evanoria. While any Legionairre worth his salt knows, and has probably participated themselves, what Dragon Jousting is, this is a sport that is not well known or practiced in the North. It is as exciting as it is dangerous. The Jousting is to be held in one of the open fields near to the Weyrhold. There are stands set up for people to sit in and watch and there is a table set aside where people can place bets on the riders participating.

First Round
Venator Yik'lar & Blue Rishith vs. Munifax Ulani & Blue Quiptath
Winner: Munifax Ulani & Blue Quiptath

Second Round
Munifax E'dan & Green Ceoth vs. Munifax O'ti & Blue Jandityeth
Winner: Munifax O'ti & Blue Jandityeth

Champion Round
Munifax Ulani & Blue Quiptath vs. Munifax O'ti & Blue Jandityeth

Those who bet right on the first two rounds will receive 20 marks
The Champion round, those who bet right will win 50 marks
Last edited by Isilsk on Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LdyPayne

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:10 am

After making a full round of the Gather activities, R'mia headed back towards the Dragon Jousting field. He had never seen the sport before but had heard a few things about it. Deciding he would watch a few rounds to see what it was all about R'mia checked out the participants.

He was not familiar with any of the riders nor their dragons so he simply asked around. It was easy to get people to talk about their favorite riders and even get 'tips' on who was likely to win. R'mia knew most of this information was utterly useless but it was one way to know who the favourites were and some of the reasons may be useful in determining who would win. By the time he felt confident he could make a reasonably educated guess on who will win each bout, R'mia placed his bets. Whether he will win anything only time will tell.

ooc: R'mia bets on Venator Yik'lar and Blue Rishith for the first round. For the second round he bets on Munifax E'dan and Green Ceoth
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:28 am

Tag: R'mia
During his trip around the gather, K'rios kept hearing about dragon jousting, and whenever he asked those in attendance about it, they insisted he had to see it for himself. It was exciting, they said. Dangerous but entertaining. Some told him about their favorite jousters, while others let him know what were the best places to stand and watch - just don't get too close to the front, lest something fly in your direction that you don't want to get hit with. He considered that to be a crock of shit, but none the less he made note of it when he arrived on the field to check things out and make his bets.

He wasn't sure if he would win anything, but he made his best bets and then stepped away. Whether or not anything came of it remained to be seen, but it would be fun to see the jousting unfold. He found a place to watch near R'mia and settled in until the jousting commenced. "I'm not sure if you have, but I've heard stories about this sport."

OOC: First round goes to Munifax Ulani and blue Quiptath and second to Munifax O'ti and blue Jandityeth, per K'rios.
LdyPayne

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:28 pm

Tag K'rios

Glancing over at the Pewterrider R'mia gave the other man a nod, happy to see a face join him he at least recognized from Atricis even if they didn't often interact. Ever since he transferred to New Atricis he had been doing his best to at least know all the names of any ranked dragonriders. K'rios he recognized as a Candidatemaster, one of the few who had a chance to prepare eager Candidates for the life of a dragonrider.

"I have heard a few things about Dragon-jousting but never had the opportunity to witness it, at least not till now." R'mia responded. "The South certainly has many strange wonders and unexpected habits to explore. I am also something of a gambling man so taking a chance at making a few Marks in a sport i don't know much, is just as much a thrill as making a bet in a game I am far more familiar with."

"Are you a gambling man?' R'mia asked, wondering if the pewterrider ended up betting for the same riders he did or if they will be competing against who they want to win each round.
Ember

Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:24 am

Not all the stories about the sport were terrible. Most of them painted a scene of a spectacular series of events that K'rios couldn't wait to see played out before the spectators waiting to see it for themselves. He smiled as he considered it all the same, much as he had since first hearing about it while traversing the gather grounds, and it still brought a sense of wonder to his thoughts. A strange sensation given his age; he thought himself beyond such feelings of whimsy at this point.

"Betting?" He lifted a brow in R'mia's direction and grinned. "As a matter of fact I enjoy a good gamble every now and then." Then he chuckled, because he knew damn well that was a fucking lie. "No, no, that isn't the truth. I enjoy a good gamble almost as much as I enjoy a good drink." A thought came to mind and he considered it a moment before proposing it to the bluerider. "Hm, speaking of, would you be interested in doubling up on the betting - something between the two of us?"
LdyPayne

Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:28 pm

R'mia gave a knowing smile when K'rios let slip he was something of a gambling man himself. He was starting to think he could really enjoy spending time with K'rios. Whether the man was into the more physical pleasures two men could enjoy with eachother or not, R'mia suspected the other man's personality was one they could certainly enjoy gambling and drinking together.

"Ah, I could never refuse a wager between two men especially in a situation like this," R'mia agreed. "For the first round of jousting I placed my bet on Yik'lar winning and in the second round E'dan is my man."
Fawkes
Junior Admin
Title: The Majestic Birb
Pronouns: She/Her, or Birb

Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:07 am

• Tag - Locke?
The greenrider could remember a time when he was just a boy, scurrying from the underbelly of The Bottoms and out into the light of day for a chance to watch the dragons Joust. It had been one of the highlights of his childhood, those brief moments of wonder and delight, the sight of glory before him, the dreams of dragonriding in the Legion. It was a time when he could forget what a scrawny little boy he was, how rough his life was as an orphan boy who barely owned anything save for the clothes on his back. He could pretend that he was one of those Legionnaires, flying swiftly toward each other, feel the jolt of excitement when the lances struck and hear himself roar with the rest of the crowd with the one he'd hoped would win, turned out the victor.

It was a time he wished he could always recreate, and when he heard that Evanoria's Gather was going to borrow from the Walled's tradition of Jousting, he'd felt compelled to come to the Gather just for that. If Kent had had such a good time as a child at the Jousts, he hoped that his own children would as well, so the whole family had dressed up a little nicer than usual, the twin girls in their dresses and Colten had a little vest on, while Kent had chosen one of his green doublets to wear. For a time, they'd wandered around the Gather taking in the sights and smells, but Kent already had a destination in mind and was slowly steering them all toward the grand arena set up.

As they approached, the girls' curiosity was piqued, Faith asking what it was and Kent started to explain it a little, about how he'd used to go watching the dragons when he was younger too. Hope said she remembered hearing something about it back in The Bottoms, but they'd never be allowed to watch before. 'Well, now you can', he'd said lovingly and gave each girls' hand a gentle squeeze. As they got closer, the girls broke free and ran up to the fence while the dragonrider sauntered up behind them with Colten in a little pack on his front. They talked loudly about pretty the dragons were, and how big some of those greens were compared to Awahith, but he knew the dainty green would take no offense to the comments. She preferred being small and agile, a feeling of confidence exuding from her that told Kent she would fly circles around those jousters. Kent had said as much to the girls, and they'd smiled and giggled, asking him to tell Awa that they liked her small too.

When it came time to bet on the riders, he asked the girls which one he should pick, and so took their advice which was based on who was prettiest of the pairings. Either way, he made his bets and hoped for the best, because he was already having the time of his life with his children, doing something he loved to do when he was a boy.

{OOC: Betting on Venator Yik'lar & Blue Rishith in Round 1, and Munifax E'dan & Green Ceoth in Round 2}
This Intoxication Thrills Me,
I Only Pray It Doesn't Kill Me

Safryn ~* *~ Kitiara ~* *~ V'an ~* *~ Ay'li ~* *~ Elysia ~* *~ Kent ~* *~ Isolde ~* *~ Omri'vis ~* *~ Daela
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Weyrwoman || Wingsecond || Weyrling Asst. || Wingleader || Wingthird || Wingrider || Weyr Guard || Strikeleader || Candidate

If You Want Something You've Never Had,
You Must Be Willing To Do Something You've Never Done.

#332500/#C1A00C | #8AA259 | #A8482A | #B69064 | #667A8C | #155710 | #969696 | #181D68
~ Character Tracker ~ | * Marks Tracker *
Ember

Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:29 am

It sounded like a happy coincidence was stacking up for their betting then. They hadn't decided on what to bet between them, but K'rios was very much looking forward to whatever it was they ended up wagering. "Well, it looks like we have the makings of something wonderful, R'mia. My bettings were the opposite of yours. Ulani and Quiptath in the first, with Q'ti and Jandityeth in the second for me."

What are you doing, hm?

Not a problem if I admire a handsome man now, is it? And if something comes of it, I'm not going to argue.

Not that he would if something didn't either. He wasn't one to complain if his company wasn't wanted by a potential bed partner. That would make him an asshole, and he prided himself on not being one. "So what say you? Do you think with that set between us, we might be able to create something additional to bet upon?"
LdyPayne

Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:21 pm

Tag Ember / K'rios

R'mia beamed when K'rios revealed they had bet on the exact opposite pairs for both races. Now the bouts will be all the more interesting because of it. Friendly rivalry in a betting event was always very enjoyable and R'mia stood to win a nice handful of Marks because of it. Or lose a fair bit. He wasn't worried however finding money wasn't that much of a challenge and he always managed to get what he needed. Fortunately he was wise enough to avoid the money lenders, most were dangerous crocks. He would rather gain money by betting he could kick the ass of some larger man in hand to hand combat. Or win the affection of a hard to get Lady or sometimes man. It was painfully easy to find fools eager to bet on silly things to help finance his more expensive tastes.

"Oh I am quite sure we can find something between us to be upon. Now tell my, dear Candidatemaster, what stakes are you willing to wager on the outcomes of the upcoming bouts?" R'mia asked, smiling charmingly. K'rios was handsome in that strong rugged way R'mia found attractive but what he didn't know was whether K'rios was fluid when it came to sexual partners. "There are many things I could offer and many things I desire and not all can be put in one's pocket."
Isilsk

Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:25 am

Dragon Jousting Betting
~Muse Music~

First Round Results

Venator Yik'lar & Blue Rishith: +0, Roll Result: 6+0=6
Munifax Ulani & Blue Quiptath: +0, Roll Result: 7+0=7

Winner
Munifax Ulani & Blue Quiptath

Yik'lar, graying hair and beard, prepare himself and his pale blue Rishith on the left side of the field. People help him to don the traditional armor of jousting before he mounts onto his beast, who too is wearing protective armor, and all the safety straps are attached. On the other side of the field Ulani and her dappled blue Quiptath do the same. They are younger, less experienced, but full of confidence. Long lances that come out feet past the dragons' heads are strapped into the special slots on their riding straps to help the lancers hold them. Despite their long length, they are made of a light weight material that easily breaks upon impact. A large drum is hit and the two beast fly up into the sky. For a moment, as the drum crescendos, the two hover facing each other. A symbol clashes together and the two opponents hurdle towards each other. The precision to hit a rider like this takes lots of practice and courage. In what seems a blink of an eye, the lance held by Ulani hits its mark perfect and shatters into thousands of pieces, but the hit does not unseat Yik'lar. Venator Yik'lar does not manage to hit the mark and the two dragons swerve away before collision happens.