Sword Fighting Competition [Evanoria Gather 2045]

Even with the move to the South, Gathers are still a thing to look forward to, though in the Walled Hold they appear to be called Festivals instead. Either way, Gathers and Festivals are a time of fun to enjoy when they come around.
Isilsk

Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:15 pm

Sword Fighting Competition
~Muse Music~
Any swordman that wishes to test their mettle and win some marks can do so here. Participants will randomly be put together with an opponent. The winners will then be paired together for the next round, so on and so forth until there is only one grand champion. Dull practice swords will be provided for those competing.

The rules:
Swords provided have to be used
Honor rules apply
Anyone caught cheating or fighting dirty will be disqualified.

The prizes:
1st place: 100 marks
2nd place: 60 marks
Participation: 10 marks

Competitors:
Natara (Weapon Master - Swords & Bows)
Iggharudube (Weapon Master - Broadsword & Whip)
K'rios (Fandarel's Strength)
V'an (Weapon's Student - Longsword)

OOC Note: Please sign up via role play. Please be sure to list any talents and abilities your character may have that pertains to sword fighting. These will be taken into account. The participants will be randomized and whoever is last will be dropped from the competition. The last round will be done a little differently. Whoever makes it to the last round will have a d20 rolled to see who receives the highest number. They will be the Grand Champion. Again, any abilities will be taken into consideration.
Ainokesshou

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:27 am

The last time Natara had been to a Gather this big, she had been barely a turn into her apprenticeship, awed at every vendor and thrilled beyond belief to watch the various sporting events. She had spent candlemarks watching the tournaments, excited by the demonstration of skill. She had not thought at the time that she might eventually learn to use weapons as well as making them, but it had been a natural development- after all, how could she improve on something if she didn’t truly understand its function?

But now she was getting an opportunity to sign up for the tournaments herself. While she was equally skilled with the bow and sword, she was more excited about the archery tournament. She would always prefer the precision and bloodlessness of shooting at paper targets to the risk of injuring someone inherent in bladework.

She wrinkled her nose at the requirement to use the provided weapons. That wouldn’t be too much of a problem for archery, she didn’t make her own bow, after all. It would be annoying in the sword tournament, though. She understood the reasons for it, that this was to test the skill of competitors, not of their weaponsmiths.

Otherwise, noone else would have a chance, Atumra said, proudly, and his handler smiled at his loyalty. That wasn’t quite true, of course, but she did tend to think that making her own swords gave her an...edge...with them.

“I would like to enter the sword tournament,” she said aloud, not answering her partner directly, as she added her name to the list.

OOC: Natara has the weapon master ability, and her two weapons are sword and bow!
Quiloth     Elahrairath     Nahumth      
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
   Atumra       Panlovis     Galask  Gask                      
LdyPayne

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:45 am

Gathers weren't really Iggharudube's thing but he did like to go to them once in awhile. The Gather at Evanoria Weyrhold however promised to be something to remember. Because it was a significant Gather Inggharudube also hoped it'll attract certain people who would benefit his own personal line of work, bounty hunting. Large Gathers, at least those he went to often allowed him to pickup new Bounties, sometimes the actual criminal themselves. It was amusing how some felt a large gathering of people would hide them instead of serve as an excellent way to track them down.

He didn't have any bounties he was hunting however so he was hoping to pick up a few new ones to keep an eye out. Other than that Inggharudube hoped to have a good time, pitting his strength and skill with swords and whip against others or simply enjoying any willing women and looking over what merchants were selling. He was always on the lookout for better equipment than what he currently had and a bargain in the progress.

The sword fighting competition did catch his attention. Normally he didn't care about showing off his skill for a prize but he did enjoy the challenge of a good fight. The only drawback was this wouldn't be the sort of fight he got into, but an honourable style of fighting. In other words he felt it wasn't real fighting. When it came to fighting for your life, any trick was permissible.

When he spotted a certain Daywher Handler he hadn't spoken to for awhile, Inggharudube grinned. They never did get a chance to spar before, now they may very well have their chance.

"We meet again Natara," Inggharudube greeted the Copperhandler. "I see you are signing up for the Sword Fighting competition as well. Perhaps we will cross swords during this contest and see which of us is the better swordsperson."

He turned towards the scribe keeping track of all the applicants. "Count me in. Name's Inggharudube, with two 'g's." He hated it when people misspelled his name. When the scribe looked at him in confusion he sighed and simply spelled out his full name. Satisfied the scribe got it right he turned his attention to the Daywher Handler.

"What do you think your odds are of winning this tournament?" he asked, curious at how highly the woman rated herself. He had encountered many very skilled women when it came to the sword and other weapons but most did leave that sort of work for men simply because men were on the average stronger than a woman. In his opinion at least. Not that he would ever underestimate a woman as he knew what they lack in raw physical power they often made up with agility, speed and stamina.

OOC: Inggharudube has Weaponsmaster ability in broadsword and whip.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:04 am

It had been a while since he'd been to a gather, so when one had been announced at Evanoria, K'rios made sure he was in attendance. There was so much to do straight away, that he wasn't sure where to begin at first. Eventually with a little prodding from Iktomith, he grabbed a bit of food and drink and hunkered down to watch some of the tournaments. It was during that time that he got it in his head to actually test himself during one. It wasn't that his skills were particularly fantastic in comparison, but he knew he was decent enough, and he was strong, so he at least had to stand some kind of a chance.

He approached the attendant and gave him a nod. "I'd like to sign up."

He heard his dragon grumble in the back of his mind and chuckle, and he knew why - Iktomith wouldn't be able to watch it himself. He'd have to depend on seeing things through his rider's eyes, and in this case that just wasn't good enough. Cheer up, chap. At least you'll get to see it. Or are you expecting me to get hurt by someone more nimble than me? The silence that followed made him wonder and he rolled his eyes as he stepped aside to wait for his round to begin.

OOC: K'rios has Fandarel's Strength attached to him.
Ainokesshou

Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:45 am

Tag: Inggharadube/Lady Payne
Natara really hadn’t interacted much with Inggharudube since their somewhat prickly meeting outside the Weyr. It was possible that she had been unnecessarily cautious when they met, as he had clearly settled into life at New Atricis Weyr, and she had not heard any complaints about him. She wasn’t exactly surprised that he was entering the tournament, given everything he had said about fighting during their one conversation.

“I wouldn’t mind fighting you in the final round,” she said, cheerfully. She still didn’t think she would want to meet across blades if he was taking it completely serious. Aside from the potential for dirty tricks, she suspected that he would be unlikely to hesitate when it came time for a killing blow. She loved working with her weapons because she loved the weapons themselves, loved the work that went into making them, and learning to use them. She thought he might love the violence a little, but as long as that was used to defend her home, she guessed it didn’t matter.

She had somewhat answered his question about how far she could make it, but… “I don’t know everyone who will compete, of course,” she said. “But I do believe I will be among the best.” She shrugged. “It’s a matter of luck, if there is someone better than me, and we meet in the first round, I suppose I could be eliminated quickly. Otherwise, I am certainly capable of making it to the final round.”
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
LdyPayne

Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:53 pm

tag Natara
The copperhandler was definitely confident she would make it into the final rounds, Inggharudube had to admire her for that. He may not have seen her fight but after enough time fighting one learned how to recognize certain traits inherent to all skilled swordwielders. Self confidence, a certain flow to their movements and even the build of the person in question. Inggharudube wouldn't be surprised Natara made it to the final round and crossed blades with himself.

"There are likely many sword fighters who's skill match my own and yours as well so only time will tell who shall win this competition. however, I haven't seen many yet who are likely to have the skill and experience to present much challenge to either of us." Inggharudube responded, one hand lightly caressing the hilt of the blade he always wore when not in the safety of his own home. "A shame we cannot use our own weapons but I see the wisdom of allowing only the weapons provided. It would definitely eliminate most cheating and guarantee at least a single point of equal standing among all contestants."

He shrugged when she mentioned luck had anything to do with being able to rise high in the ranks. If one did met their match in the first round or two that would be unfortunate but there was advantage in meeting a challenging opponent for the first round. "That would be unfortunate however the odds are against it unless you aren't as good as you claim you are." He couldn't resist adding a little challenge toward Natara's claims thus far, more to see how she'll react than any doubt she wasn't a good fighter, besides lacking the desire to actually kill one's opponent. He would never hesitate to kill but only when it was necessary. Most of the bounties he pursued were worth more alive than dead but some it didn't matter. Even then he would prefer leaving them alive so he didn't have to worry about carrying some decomposing body or body part to prove his success to collect his money.
Fawkes
Junior Admin
Title: The Majestic Birb
Pronouns: She/Her, or Birb

Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:26 am

• Tag - K'rios
The brownrider hadn't really expected to find himself outside of the fighting ring. Last thing he'd remembered was walking through the merchants stalls with Ryarin and their son, when the sound of clashing steel rang in his ears and he felt the tug. He'd excused himself from his weyrmate for a moment with a kiss to her brow and promise to find her soon, before he moved through the stalls in order to find the source of the sound. Once he saw the ring, he'd been drawn to it like a moth to flame, his fingers curling into his hand as if to hold a hilt.

The weyrlingmaster had enjoyed a good spar quite a bit more often, though he still tried to find time for the ring, but with his duties and his family, those times had been few and far between now. He may be a bit out of practice, yet swinging that sword was in his blood, his father and uncle had taught him everything they knew, he'd been raised with a sword in hand. Sparring is actually what brought he and his weyrmate together, or at least the spark that led him to loving her so fiercely.

As he approached, everything he was taught was coming back to him now and he practically yearned to feel the heft of a sword in his hand once more. It would do him good to let out a little steam, to work those muscles again and feel the peace he gets from a good spar...might even make a few marks in the process too. The brownrider had a goofy sort of smile on his face as he walked up to the table, "I'm in for a good spar. Name's V'an." He said stately and gave a nod as if to confirm. The big man walked away slowly then, glancing around at the competition of those who were also waiting for their turn now, noticing the pewterider almost out of the corner of his eye.

"Oy, K'rios." The man called out just loud to be heard as he turned toward the friendly face. "Hope I don't get paired up with you. I'm a bit rusty, and I wouldn't want to go to hard on you." V'an couldn't help but jest as he grinned at the candidatemaster.

{OOC: V'an has Weapons Student in the Longsword}
This Intoxication Thrills Me,
I Only Pray It Doesn't Kill Me

Safryn ~* *~ Kitiara ~* *~ V'an ~* *~ Ay'li ~* *~ Elysia ~* *~ Kent ~* *~ Isolde ~* *~ Omri'vis ~* *~ Daela
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Weyrwoman || Wingsecond || Weyrling Asst. || Wingleader || Wingthird || Wingrider || Weyr Guard || Strikeleader || Candidate

If You Want Something You've Never Had,
You Must Be Willing To Do Something You've Never Done.

#332500/#C1A00C | #8AA259 | #A8482A | #B69064 | #667A8C | #155710 | #969696 | #181D68
~ Character Tracker ~ | * Marks Tracker *
Isilsk

Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:46 am

Sword Fighting Competition
~Muse Music~

Competitor Pairings
V'an vs. Natara
K'rios vs. Iggharudube

Results and Winners

V'an: +2, Roll Result: 12+2=14
Natara: +2, Roll Result: 20+2=22
WINNER: Natara

K'rios: +1, Roll Result: 20+1=21
Iggharudube: +2, Roll Result: 17+2=19
WINNER: K'rios

Congratulations Winners!
You all may now roleplay out the results of this round. Unless more people join in on the sword fighting, K'rios and Natara will be the next two to go head to head.
LdyPayne

Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:21 pm

Tag: K'rios

When his match was called Inggharudube stepped forward, swinging the practice sword once or twice to get a feel of the balance and weight. It was nothing like his personal weapon but Inggharudube was used to using whatever sword he could get his hands on in a pinch. The blades he had made for him were designed with his height and strength so the practice sword was a little small but it as also quite a bit lighter which would add speed to his blows and not reduce his stamina at all like a real blade. The practice swords were weighted however and sturdy enough they wouldn't shatter too easily but it still wouldn't be the same as a real blade. Nor was it like the heavy training blades he would have recommended to anybody learning to fight with the sword. Use heavy blades, build muscle and technique then the real blade will seem light as a feather and you'll be ready to deal with the shock of impact on blade or shield.

His opponent was't somebody he knew all that well. A man the announcer introduced as K'rios, Pewterrider but Inggharudube wouldn't have known him from most of Atricis's riders, he just didn't interact much with dragonriders given most were thinking of their warm beds by the time Inggharudube was starting his day.

Once the fight started, Inggharudube circled, making a few careful but easily blocked strikes to see just what talent K'rios had. The man moved fluidly so Inggharudube knew he fought with a sword often enough to be at the least competent at it. Whether he truly mastered it beyond the typical he couldn't tell from the first few moments of the fight. Not a man to underestimate.

Inggharudube pressed the attack, using a combination of blows and attacks designed to wear down his opponent quickly and test the man's stamina and strength. It didn't take long for him to realize K'rios was stronger than he looked and definitely a capable swordsman. A few time Inggharudbe was tempted to play dirty, to kick up dirt or simply kick or punch with his free hand. However such 'dirty fighting' was against the rules as this wasn't a life or death sort of bout.

It was a long fight and despite his best efforts Inggharudube let his guard drop for a fraction of a second which was long enough for K'rios to get in a blow which would have proven incapacitating enough if his blade had been edged instead of blunt. Acknowleding the blow as legitmate, Inggharudbe stepped back and lowered his blade, signally the judge the match was over and he certainly wasn't going to contest a well placed strike.

"Good match, we should meet again back home someday, you have some moves I haven't seen before," Inggharudube told K'rios as they moved off the fighting square. He gave a smirk before adding. "Of course I was a bit handicapped in there having to follow all the 'gentleman' rules. "
Ainokesshou

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:05 pm

Tag: Inggharudube
If working with weapons was always like this, then Natara would be able to say that she loved it wholeheartedly. She definitely loved the physical exertion and challenge. She loved the chance of losing without the risk of dying- there was a moment when her body tried to be afraid while her mind definitely wasn’t that was exhilarating.

There were several moments like that in her bout with V’an, and she probably would have enjoyed it just as much if she had ultimately lost. The fact that she won was only better because it meant there would be another bout for her. She couldn’t really keep track of how long the match lasted, only aware that there were several near misses on each side. By the end, she was sweating, and hyperaware of her own body, grinning and pushing hair back from her face as she complimented the brownrider on a good bout.

She stretched, feeling the bout in her muscles in a pleasant way as she walked over to check on the results of the other matches. She was a bit surprised to see that Inggharudube had not advanced – though perhaps his expertise with real combat did not transfer as well to friendly matches. She approached him, smiling cockily as she still floated on a bit of a high from the combat.

“I guess we won’t be sparring this time, after all,” she said. “We’ll have to make time for that on our own, I suppose.” She didn’t actually work out with the wherhandlers very often; the different waking periods of the whers and day whers tended to prevent it, but she could certainly make the time.
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage