Food Run ~ Tag: I'ent/LdyPayne

The vast territory that belongs to the Southern people of Walled Hold. A fishing village also exists within this territory. Between the two settlements the people aren't very large in number, but they are filled with pride and strength.
Parker
Marks: 4401.00 [Donate]

Re: Food Run ~ Tag: I'ent/LdyPayne

Postby Parker » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:19 pm

Wraith looked at the green dubiously. He wasn't a trusting dragon and so he figured that she had something up her sleeve in agreeing to take care of the other man so quickly. However, he had to figure out how much he actually cared what she did with the last man. He decided it really wasn't worth any effort to care what happened to him by Shireth's claw. If she messed up and got more people called to their location that meant more fun for him. He grabbed a hold of the young man's leg, biting down with a crunch and then tossed him as a canine would a favorite toy in her direction. Do with him as you wish, then. I will dispose of this one. The wicked dragon then scooped up the dead man in his powerful jaws and then took a leap into the air. He blinked between just long enough to drop the body and then came right back.

Locke knew that something was up when he felt the phantom feel of warmth running down his throat. What have you done, Wraith? He asked of his dragon as his heart fell to his stomach. What had to be done. There was no other way. That was a bold face lie and Locke knew it. There was nothing he could do now. Dammit Wraith. He said with exasperation, but again the thought that his dragon was this way because of his actions made his anger pause. You promise it's taken care of? The last thing I need to have to worry about you and Shireth while we're here. And no more killing. If others show up, hide. That's always the other option. Locke demanded of his dragon. Shireth was not fast enough hiding. There was no other way. One man is still alive. Shireth wants to take care of him herself. I assume she will be letting him go. Wraith stated nonchalantly as he watched the green curiously.

The inside of the building was just as dingy as the alley leading to it. Locke's mood was not great thanks to his ass of a dragon, but there was nothing he could do about it now. They were here to give Mouse food and see if there was any new information. "Mouse! It's Reap. Me and a friend have come bringing food." Locke called out to the man. There had been more than one occasion where his crippled friend had laid in wait with a dagger when he wasn't sure who it was that had come into his humble abode. Locke had taken care to announce himself before getting back to the room where Mouse preferred to stay.

"Back here, Locke! Not too soon. I am wasting away to nothing." The man stated and while for some that would have been an exaggeration, for Mouse it likely wasn't. The man was sitting at a run down table. From the looks of things he'd been whittling, a hobby he'd picked up since there really wasn't much else for him to do in his free time. "Glad to see you, Reap. Who's your friend?" Mouse was younger than Locke, closer to I'ent's age, but the hard life he lived had left him looking older than what he really was. He didn't stand to greet them either.

"Mouse, this is I'ent. A pupil, if you will. He's a fellow street rat. I'ent, this is Mouse. My informant and old colleague." Locke informed his greenriding friend. "We got you some food. Should last you awhile until I can bring more. Has there been any new news or situations that I should know about?" Locke asked as he took the bags of stolen food and began to put them away in the one cupboard that still stood solid in the room.

"The ring has been more quiet than usual, but then again everyone has been more quiet than usual. It's the damn rebellion. No one knows who's running it or where from, but the whispers are strong and there has been rumors about certain people disappearing with no rhyme or reason for it. I think that has something to do with the fact the ring hasn't been as active as of late." Mouse informed him as he waved I'ent over to the table so he could rummage through the bag he carried for something to eat. "Don't worry. I don't bite. Unless you're food." He assured the greenrider.
Image Image Image Image Image
F'lin & Mnenomth | Mar'lus & Shardamakath | C'sian & Gastoneth | B'tian & Villeforth | Sid'nis & Iolith
Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth | So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Candidate Carver | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

.::..::..::..::..::..
PC Character Tracker | Marks Tracker | NPC Stash

LdyPayne
Marks: 3631.00 [Donate]

Postby LdyPayne » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:06 am

Shireth reared up on her hind legs so she could use her fore paws to catch the human when Wraith tossed him her way. Once she had a good hold of the man who already was making far more noise than she liked, Shireth jumped into the air, beating her wings to gain attitude. As soon as she was high enough to jump Between she did. Unlike Wraith however she didn't just drop the man in the cold nothingness of Between, instead she appeared over the plain she had hunted with Wraith awhile ago. Gliding over the plain she back winged just enough so she could drop the man onto the ground. It wasn't a gentle drop however, the man screamed all the short way and since his leg was already broken he collapsed the moment she let him go. Shireth beat her wings to fly up higher, circled once and disappeared.

By the time she returned Wraith had already had time to deal with the body of the man he killed. She landed and folded her wings neatly then licked her forepaw as though cleaning it of all visages of blood. She didn't seem concerned by Wraith's curious look. If he asked she may tell him what she did but she wasn't going to volunteer it.

While Locke was announcing himself to Mouse, I'ent lingered behind him, eyes looking around the dingy hut but not in a critical way. He knew what it was like to live in poverty and to him, this place looked far better than his own home in The Bottoms. Compared to his apartment at the Weyr however, this was definitely a hovel and I'ent only felt how lucky he was to no longer be in The Bottoms. He was glad to help out Locke's friend however, knowing it was rare for a street rat to have a friend like the Reaper.

Once Locke took the bags of food from him, I'ent looked over at Mouse and gave a nod of his head. He didn't know what to say so left it at just a nod. The moment of silence didn't last anyway as Locke asked for any new developments. I'ent shifted slightly to get more comfortable and listened to what Mouse had to say.

He blinked when Mouse called him over so Mouse grabbed hold of the bag of food Locke hadn't put away yet and handed it over to Mouse. "Don't think you'd find me tasty anyway...then again when you're hungry enough...everything tastes great."
----- I'ent -- // ---Inggharudube - // - Lerina --- // ---Shyran --- // --- R'mia --- // ---Zilelmos Image
Marks Tracker

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:49 pm

Wraith was cleaning the blood from his muzzle and claws when Shireth returned. His eyes were still whirling with some red as he looked at her. He snorted as she cleaned her claws as if it needed to be cleaned. Did she really think that he didn't know? Silly green. For your own sake I hope you took that boy someplace he could get help. He stated in a sardonic tone of voice. Otherwise there is a good chance he'll die slowly from his wounds. Seems a more wicked thing to do than giving him a quick death. The statement was made in an off-handed manner to show how little he cared personally.

"Spoken like a true street rat." Mouse replied to I'ent as he began to rummage through the bag that the greenrider had given to him and pulled out some jerky to start chewing on hungrily. "Don't worry. Even if I was at that point I would never dare think of harming a friend of Reap's. It's good to meet you and relieves some of my worry that there is no one out there to watch out for him." Mouse said as he held a hand out to the young man. Locke, from where he was stashing things away just gave a small chuckle. "Not that the Reaper really needs watching out for, but it's still a comfort to know."

Locke was touched that Mouse cared that much. Part of him knew, but it was still nice to hear. "Here you go, Mouse. This will hit the spot." Locke said as he finished putting food away and then poured the man a glass of some of the wine they had gotten in their haul.

"Goddesses bless you, Reap. You wouldn't hadn't to have..." Mouse began to ask, but Locke produced from his pocket a tin of smokes. "Benevu's tits, you really are the best." The wraith rider took out two smokes and put them both in his mouth before lighting them. Then he handed one to Mouse.

"So the rebellion is causing quite the stir, huh? Perhaps this is a good thing for us. With people distracted by that maybe we will be able to find these rings and take them down before they know what hits them." Locke suggested as he sat down at the table, tipped the chair back, and put his feet up on the table. Then, he gestured to I'ent to have a seat too if he wished.

"Just because things have been quiet, doesn't mean that things haven't been happening. I wouldn't get too cocky, but...I don't know...you might be onto something there." Mouse added.

"Any thoughts, I'ent?" Locke asked his younger friend, curious what he had to say on the matter.
F'lin & Mnenomth | Mar'lus & Shardamakath | C'sian & Gastoneth | B'tian & Villeforth | Sid'nis & Iolith
Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth | So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Candidate Carver | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

LdyPayne

Postby LdyPayne » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:17 pm

Wraith's comment about leaving the guard where somebody could find him gave the green pause. She knew the clearing was open enough any dragon flying overhead would spot him easily but how many dragons flew out there during this time of night? Shifting slightly she wondered if she had erred and should have just brought the man to Atricis to be tended to. Worse comes to worse she could pick the guard up before they headed back. I'ent would know what to do with him then.

>You weren't giving him a quick death, making him scream so much you'll have all of Walled Hold on our heads. Nor did you have to injure him before giving him to me. You're the one who enjoys inflicting pain on others so any suffering that human endures is on your head.> Shireth explained. She had known Wraith enjoyed the taste of blood and not just the blood of the herdbeasts they fed upon but any blood. Maybe he just needed somebody to show him different ways and other things to enjoy, like adventure.

"I don't think he'll have kept you waiting long enough to think about eating a person, friend of his or not," I'ent responded. He didn't know how much about Locke's life Mouse knew so he didn't comment about who Locke had looking out for him. I'ent didn't think he was at the point where he would be good at watching out for The Reaper but he did like to think in time he'll be able to do more than just shout a warning.

I'ent took the offered seat and simply listened to Mouse and Locke talk. When he was last in The Bottoms he had made the mistake of approaching his sister only to learn she didn't even try to stop her Mistress from having him snatched and sold to illegal slave traders. He was no child then so he knew nothing about child slave rings yet he couldn't help but wonder if his father had actually sold his sister to slavery instead of arranging for her to be adopted into a good home. He pushed the thoughts out of his mind as that was long ago and he knew next to nothing about it. Thus he was quite surprised when Locke asked him about his thoughts.

"Ah...well I don't know about any slave rings...I mean, I do know some people are willing to sell orphans or anybody really to illegal slave traders but I don't know about any currently operating here or if the Rebellion would be distracting them." I'ent gave a shrug. "I suppose it really matters on who's the most distracted...if the Legionnaires are too wrapped up on tracking down those rebelling or investigating what really happened to that goldrider who apparently was poisoned...they may not care what's going on here in The Bottoms, unless the root of the Rebellion's down here. So if the Legionnaires are focused too much elsewhere, business here will be thriving without having to watch for random patrols. Don't mean the guards and shit protecting those responsible for the slave rings will be distracted. Might be even more alert, worried rivals may try and expand their trade by taking over another's."
----- I'ent -- // ---Inggharudube - // - Lerina --- // ---Shyran --- // --- R'mia --- // ---Zilelmos Image
Marks Tracker

Parker

Postby Parker » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:17 am

I never said I didn't enjoy it. I think it is obvious I do. Wraith said in a matter of fact tone of voice. There was a part of him that knew that he was abnormal compared to the rest of his kin, but he didn't really care. Spending the first turn or so of his life in the way he did had truly messed him up well and good. Locke, of course, tried to work on his dragon's behavior, but when it came to Wraith the thief didn't have much control over the beast as he should have. Locke would staunchly deny this and say that he did, but it was obvious he didn't. Wraith knew how to manipulate his rider and the guilt Locke still felt for what he had put his dragon through did not make matters easier. Trying to guilt trip me won't make me feel bad, just so you know.

Locke took long, slow pulls from his cigarette and released it in a plume of smoke. Mouse did much of the same and enjoyed the glass of wine in slow sips. The both of them gave the younger greenrider their full attention. "Your boy raises a few good points. It's no surprise that there are those in the Legion that do quite well for themselves thanks to the bribes they line their pockets with. I think it is rather obvious who killed the goldrider. The Mother was really the only one to gain from that. My marks are on her being the one behind it, but apparently the Justicars are having a hard time of finding proof of this. As far as the Legion'ss activity here in the Bottoms it fluctuates more now than it did before. Some days there are the normal patrols, other days there are more of them, and occasionally there are none at all. The problem, I think, is because they really have no idea where the rebels are at, but they're causing problems about once a week. There are multiple cells of them all over Walled, up top and down here. They move constantly so as to not be found. Some think that the cells operate independently, but I think anyone who believes that is worse than a dimglow. Whoever is behind this they are smart and they know how to hide their tracks." Mouse informed them.

The Wraithrider put his feet down and leaned forward to rest his elbows on the table. "I could see rival factions trying to use this rebellions to their advantage." Locke agreed and then fell into thought silently for a moment. "I don't understand it. Even with the rebellion why would the slave rings be more quiet than normal? I can't imagine they've stopped their illegal business to devout spending time working with the rebels. Mouse, do you think you can dig a little more to try and figure out exactly what is going on?" Locke asked of his friend.

"I'm not sure. There are places I can't exactly get to. I know of some little birdies that are willing to do leg work for me, but of course it costs. Food, not marks. If you could get me some more food so I can share, I could probably be able to get one of them to find out more details." Mouse answered him. He did share what he could, but like most street rats he looked out for himself first.

"I think we can handle that. Can't we, I'ent?" Locke asked with an impish smile.

LdyPayne

Postby LdyPayne » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:38 pm

Shireth flipped her tail tips, very much aware it was pointless trying to guilt trip Wraith. Pestering him because he went into a sulk because she hadn't chosen him the last time she rose hadn't made the chimera feel guilty and given his enjoyment of human flesh and suffering, all facts she had known for as long as she could remember. All were clear signs trying to make him feel guilt was a futile exercise.

<Well, now that the excitement is over, should we find a quiet place to hide just in case more humans come this way?> Shireth inquired. She hadn't even noticed the two guards approach till they spoke since she was too distracted tormenting Wraith with her story. As she wasn't very keen on seeing more humans get hurt she would prefer to avoid any noticing them. Hiding would be boring but even adventures could be dull. Besides, she rather be on Wraith's good side. She did like him and she couldn't logically say why she didn't chose that time. He may not be a nice dragon compared to others but she liked him and also her rider admired and respected Wraith's rider so that had to count for something. >Or maybe we should quietly patrol, make sure none sneak up on us.>

I'ent listened as Mouse spoke and felt pleased his comments had been well received. He may not be an official Informant or as old as Mouse but he had lived in The Bottoms and worked with the more Criminally Inclined as a courier or messenger. Thinking of his time running messages and other items he never questions from one location to another I'ent wondered if any of those he interacted with would prove a useful source of information. What Locke wanted to find out had nothing to do with the items he delivered in the past but he had gone into places he was sure were brothels and for all he knew the girls were slaves. He also knew of people who tended to collect information and will give it out for a price but they wouldn't take food, these sorts wanted Marks. A free meal may get you their time but only Marks would bring answers.

"Yeah, don't think that'll be a problem," I'ent agreed. He paused then, wondering if he should suggest the Runners. Most were very good at not giving out information but if business was slow..some would be willing to give information for money, especially if it had nothing to do with the messages or packages they were delivering in the first place. He glanced at Locke for a moment then looked over at Mouse. "Runner's might know something...but they aren't the sort to accept food for payment...at least none who are good at what they do. The younger one's may prefer food, less likely to lose it than Marks."
Marks Tracker

Parker

Postby Parker » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:00 am

Wraith huffed at the idea of hiding, though there was merit in it. He took a moment to concentrate on the area around them. There are no others in the area. At least not in the immediate area. Hiding is not necessary, nor would it be very amusing. Yes, he knew they weren't there for amusement, but his selfish side didn't care. He really only cared if he was having fun and that he and his rider were safe. Truthfully, though he wouldn't admit it, there was a part of him that did care for others at least a little. Enough so that he didn't wish ill of them and that was saying something. Shireth and her rider was on that very short list of people and dragons. I suppose we could patrol if you'd like. It'd be more interesting than sitting around here doing nothing. Wraith stated in a bored tone of voice, but still he got to his feet.

"Runner's might know something...but they aren't the sort to accept food for payment...at least none who are good at what they do. The younger one's may prefer food, less likely to lose it than Marks."

Locke gave I'ent a look of approval for his input and wisdom. "That's a good idea. I always forget about the runners, no offense. During my hay day here I always tried to avoid them since most of their masters were people I had stolen from. On that note, should we happen to seek any of them out I will let you speak with them I'ent." There was no need for more people who had a bone to pick with him to make what they were trying to do more difficult. "So, I suppose we should get more food and more valuables to bring to our good friend Mouse here." Locke finished his smoke and stubbed it out before he got to his feet.

"Mouse, it shouldn't take us too long to get enough for you to give to your little birdies. I'ent, ready when you are." Locke stated confidently as he gave a nod and smile to his partner in shadows.

(We can keep going, jump ahead, end it here...whatever you'd like to do.)

LdyPayne

Postby LdyPayne » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:46 pm

Shireth listened and sniffed the air as well but couldn't sense anything either. Then again she hadn't heard the humans come into the clearing either. She had been born and raised among humans so their scent was so familiar she didn't immediately consider them a danger. Sight and hearing were ways she hunted and detected things more than scent and she knew when I'ent was close but mostly because she knew how he walked and smelled. Right now all she knew was he went into Walled Hold but had no idea where in the Hold he was located or even how far away.

<Maybe not now but somebody will notice those guards aren't where they're suppose to be eventually.> Shireth concluded. When he agreed patroling was better than sitting around doing nothing she rose to all four feet, eager to start. <It'll be far more interesting, maybe we'll even learn something useful we can tell our riders.>

Seeing Locke's approval made I'ent feel he actually contributed and his idea appreciated. "I can do that," he agreed. He didn't have any close friends among the runners but he knew a few he could trust enough to give good information if they knew anything. At the very least most would be willing to talk about their Master's competitors.

Once Locke was ready to move out, I'ent rose to his feet and nodded to Mouse. He was ready to help the cripple out by getting more food and valuables. "I'm ready." he responded.

Following Locke out he let the more experienced man take the lead as before, focusing on keeping his own steps as quiet as possible and not drawing attention to himself.

ooc: We can jump forward or end it, I am fine either way.
Marks Tracker

Parker

Postby Parker » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:21 pm

(I'll skip it ahead a bit and then we can end with your reply if you want and we can talk about a new thread.)

It was quite a few hours later that Locke and I'ent came back to Mouse's place. Unlike the first house they'd hit, they'd managed to get a better score of both food and valuables for Mouse to use to pay off his little birdies. Locke was in quite the good mood, but then robbing from the rich and knowing it was going to good people who needed it more always put him in a good mood. There was a spring in his step as he lead his young friend back through the ally ways of the Bottoms.

"Well done tonight, I'ent. Damn well done. I hope you enjoyed your first taste of thief life. After we deposit this stuff off with Mouse we can head home. It's been a long night, but I'm hopeful that something fruitful will come of this. Especially if you and Mouse are able to get some of the others to speak. Make sure you keep a hold of several of those marks to give to messengers. Mouse will deal mainly with children who want food more than marks or jewelry anyways." Locke said in a voice that was still quiet even though they were back in the Bottoms and there was no guards around.

"You don't have to find the messengers tonight. Probably be less noticed if you reached them by day. Plus, it's getting rather late. I don't want us to be out much longer." It would be dawn before they knew it. Locke was a bit anxious to get home to his husband and he didn't want to risk either of them getting in trouble.

Back at Mouse's, Locke made sure that he had everything he needed and was as comfortable as he could be. "Message me if anything arises, with the slavers or the rebellion. My gut is telling me that this rebellion has yet to really bare its teeth and I'd rather none of us get caught in the middle of it."

LdyPayne

Postby LdyPayne » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:14 pm

I'ent couldn't help but feel proud of himself for the help he gave Locke. Seeing his mentor in good spirits he was starting to see why The Reaper enjoyed his work. Was it just having a sense of purpose that gave Locke that spring in his step or was it just knowing he was helping Mouse who would otherwise likely starve in the harsh reality of The Bottoms? He didn't know but he did know the deep rooted appreciation Mouse must feel for The Reaper, one that likely ran deeper than I'ent's own. He wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for the life saving bundle of food The Reaper had dropped off at his feet not all that long after his father was murdered right before his eyes.

What I'ent wasn't blind to however was the advantage having Mouse owing you, for a cripple was often seen as little more than street trash and not worth paying attention to anymore than trash was. Yet that same dismissal allowed somebody like Mouse to see, hear and learn many things somebody with more status would ever get the chance to learn. I'ent knew his own time in The Bottoms he learned many things, names of the people his former boss did business with, who his competition was and how those who served him felt about their boss. Back then I'ent hadn't tried to overhear things as he was far more concerned with being a good Messenger so he could avoid drawing needless attention. Other Messengers for the most part didn't bother him but he worked with a few for the same Boss and the competition could be an issue time to time. When somebody offed his boss however to take over his businesses, it was nearly impossible to know if the new boss will trust any of the former's Messengers. I'ent didn't have the chance to find out if he could find work with the new boss as he ended up running into his sister.

"Daytime wouldn't be a good time to track them down anyway," I'ent responded. He knew most of the business a Messenger did was at night. There were exceptions of course but in I'ent's experience late afternoon or very early in the morning would be the best time to find a Messenger who wasn't busy delivering a message. "I can come back here in a couple days closer to nightfall where most Messengers begin their 'day' and put out a few feelings if you like, see if any are interested in making some extra Marks."

Once back at Mouse's, I'ent simply let Locke finish up talking with his Informant before saying anything himself. "Nice to meet you Mouse..." I'ent said, not sure what else to say as a parting.

ooc: We can wrap here, or in your reply if you feel one's needed.
Marks Tracker

Return to “Walled Hold Lands”