Fishing, Friends, and Fun (Tag: Parker/Darrow)

The lands around New Atricis that are regarded as Atricis' new territory. Not as big as their previous protective range, but still lots of space and wilds to explore. Dragon Flights and Wher Runs also occur across these lands.
Kate

Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:03 pm

Excitement coursed through him as he pulled his fish in, and it earned him a mental nudge from Isamuyn. The young man quickly explained to his daywher what was going on, and after that, Isamuyn left him alone now that he knew he was ok. For some reason, no matter what Devyn did or said, he could not convince Isamuyn that he could stand to be a little less protective. Granted, the handler knew that his daywher was really just doing his job, and trying to protect him. Actually, deep down, Devyn wondered if everything that had happened lately had anything to do with it. Maybe he would have to have a talk with his daywher and make sure to tell him that he was ok, and he would continue to be ok as long as the two of them were there for each other.

Finally, Devyn managed to push those thoughts to the back of his mind and just in time. Without even realizing it, the chimera handler had let his mind wander, and still managed to reel his fish in. Now, Darrow was talking to him and he smiled softly. "Nope, not bad at all." For a moment he studied his fish, debating if it was even big enough to cook. Shrugging to himself he figured it was, so at that point he decided that if the black handler wanted to cook his, he would cook his own as well.

Chuckling to himself,f it seemed that he had made up Darrow's mind for him by telling him that he would prepare it and cook it and everything. Reaching out, he gently took Darrow's fish from him and thought for a moment before saying, "While I clean these and get them ready, why don't you see if you can round us up some wood to make a fire. If we can do that, we can have ourselves a nice little lunch."

Image x3
Image Image Image Image Image
Isiana & Andromedath | A'ric & Behemoth | K'uavaen & Synsith | Talen & Khonlen | Devyn & Isamuyn
Parker
Site Admin
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him

Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:07 am

Did you catch yourself a fish, Darrow? Argow asked, though from the distracted sound of her voice he could tell that she was only partially paying attention to what he was doing.

That I did! It was rather exciting. I think I like fishing. He replied back to her with glee as he watched as Devyn reeled his fish in the rest of the way.

I'm glad you are having fun, dear heart. I still don't understand why y'all insist on catching fish with string and a hook. It is so much easier to just use your teeth and claws. Regardless, I am happy for you. The black said and then while Isamuyn was distracted she splashed him playfully with some water.

We can't use our teeth and we don't have claws, my dear. I'm afraid string and hooks are the best for us. Darrow said with a chuckle, but then Dev was talking to him again, so he turned his attention back towards him.

"Alright. That shouldn't be too hard of a task. I'll be back shortly. Maybe after we eat we can fish a little more, but any we catch we can release. No sense in keeping them if we're not going to eat them, right?" Darrow stated before he took off into the little wooded area to find them enough wood to make a decent fire that would leave good enough coals to cook on.

It really didn't take him too long at all to bring back an arm load of various sizes of wood. "How's the cleaning coming along? I should have enough wood to get us a nice fire going." Darrow stated as he dropped the pile and began clearing some grass for him to build the fire on.

Image x4 - counted
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Candidate Carver | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

.::..::..::..::..::..
PC Character Tracker | Marks Tracker | NPC Stash
Kate

Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:28 pm

When the black handler agreed to going to get the firewood, Devyn gave him a small smile. "I agree, we should most certainly fish some more. You're right about letting them go too. I've always been taught you never keep more than you need, and by the looks of these fish, I say one each should bey more than enough for lunch for us." Devyn was glad that Darrow had the same mind set as him, without even really knowing anything about this. After that, the chimera handler set to work doing what he needed to do. First he quickly got himself set up to clean the fish. While it wouldn't take a long time, it would take time enough, so he felt like he should get started as soon as he could. First he cleaned the fish, getting all of the scales and everything off of it, and then he gutted the fish, finally making them ready to go in a fire. The whole time he had been doing this, he'd been thinking about when he used to do this back home with his friends and his family. It was fun, it had always been fun. Now, he was glad that he could share this with Darrow as well.

It seemed like just as he finished, Darrow came back with the wood. So it was actually really perfect timing on both of their parts. Smiling he said,”Actually, I just finished cleaning them, so as soon as we get that fire started, we can start cooking them.”

With that, he grabbed two of the pointier sticks that the black handler had brought back, and skewered the fish onto them and gently set them aside. After he was done with that he moved to help Darrow get the fire going. With the two of them clearing the grass, it didn’t take them long at all, and then they set up the logs and everything that he had brought back.

Turning to his friend he gave him a grin and said, ”Would you like to do the honors or lighting the fire since you are the one who went and collected all the wood? Then I will cook the fish and you can tell me how good or bad my coooking skills are?” Of course his cooking skills were good enough, but he had just wanted to keep everything light and teasing and fun.

Isiana & Andromedath | A'ric & Behemoth | K'uavaen & Synsith | Talen & Khonlen | Devyn & Isamuyn
Parker
Site Admin

Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:04 am

"I agree, we should most certainly fish some more. You're right about letting them go too. I've always been taught you never keep more than you need, and by the looks of these fish, I say one each should bey more than enough for lunch for us."

Darrow nodded and was honestly a little proud that he'd said something right about fishing. "Great. I planned to do this for several hours. I certainly don't mind just catching and releasing. As long as doesn't hurt the fish too much." He might have lived a rather pampered life, but not even Darrow was alright with waste for no reason. He knew some, even in his own family, that didn't care what they wasted, but he couldn't be one of those sorts of people.

”Actually, I just finished cleaning them, so as soon as we get that fire started, we can start cooking them.”

"Wonderful. Give me just a few moments and I'll get this fire built." Darrow said and then bent down to begin placing the logs for the best burning fire possible. He put the kindling down first, then built a few more of the larger pieces on top. After that he began striking the flint against a piece of steel.

”Would you like to do the honors or lighting the fire since you are the one who went and collected all the wood? Then I will cook the fish and you can tell me how good or bad my cooking skills are?”

"I've almost got it started. Just a few more..." Darrow said as he kept striking the flint towards the dry kindling. Finally, smoke began to form and finally a small fire, which he began feeding more small sticks. "There we go. That should burn nicely, then we will have good coals to cook on." He said with a wide smile. "Oh I'm sure your cooking is great."

F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Candidate Carver | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

Kate

Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:14 am

Blue eyes shone with laughter and enjoyment as he looked at his friend. While he didn't tell Darrow he was right about the fish, since there really was no right or wrong, he was glad that at least the two of them had been on the same page. It seemed that Darrow just naturally knew what Devyn had to be taught when he was younger. The chimera handler had never understood the whole, releasing thing, when he was younger. After time though, he had finally began understanding it. Chuckling as the black handler's voice brought him out of his slight daydream, the young man said, "Well, thats good, because I wasn't planning on being here for a while longer. I was hoping you wouldn't want to call it quits so early. Glad that hope came true." Honestly, Devyn just wanted to stay out here. It wasn't like he had anything else to do today, so he didn't care if he just messed around fishing the whole day. It would probably do him a world of good.

For some reason, it shocked him that the two of them were able to get everything together so quickly. Sure, they weren't exactly starving, but even so, they would still be having lunch at a decent time. Since the fish were already clean, as soon as the fire was built they could get cooking, and it really wouldn't take the fish long to cook. Blue eyes glanced around and then settled on Darrow as the young man built the fire quickly. "Wow, you are really good at that. I've never seen anyone build a fire faster."

Eagerly Devyn watched the young man strike the flint and sparks flew. It didnt seem to take him very long, and the fire was roaring. For a moment, his eyes were just on the flames and then he checked the fish and made sure they were ready. As his stomach growled slightly, Devyn found himself hoping that Darrow was right, the fire would burn quickly and then they could cook the food.

Chuckling he said, "Well I dont mean to brag, but yah Im a pretty decent cook. Im usually ok at anything, so we'll see how this fish turns out I guess." Quickly he put the fish over the fire, and turned them when they needed to be turned. After a little bit, they were done, and honestly, the man couldn't wait to eat. Turning to Darrow, his blue eyes danced a little with excitement and he said, "Lunch is served good sir."

Image x7
Parker
Site Admin

Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:55 pm

"Well, thats good, because I wasn't planning on being here for a while longer. I was hoping you wouldn't want to call it quits so early. Glad that hope came true."

Darrow gave a small chuckle. He was glad that Devyn also didn't want to just pack up and leave once they had both caught something. "Nah, this is fun. I'm really enjoying myself. We'll eat a delicious meal and then enjoy some more fishing and relaxing." He stated happily as he continued to build the fire. It was going good, but they needed to have plenty of hot coals to make sure the fish was cooked well and proper. He'd heard of some people that ate fish raw, but he didn't see how. He didn't think he'd like that at all.

"Wow, you are really good at that. I've never seen anyone build a fire faster."

"Thank you. Whenever me and my family would travel for shows I always asked if I could be the one to start the campfires. When I was really little my mother would never let me. I remember the first time I was allowed to make the fire by myself. I was so happy." Darrow explained. He always loved the trips his family would take for their shows. They didn't happen often, but they were always fun when they did.

"Well I dont mean to brag, but yah Im a pretty decent cook. Im usually ok at anything, so we'll see how this fish turns out I guess."

The coals were glowing nice and hot now. Perfect for cooking on, so Darrow stood aside to let Devyn in to do his magic. While the fish cooked, he couldn't help but just stare into the fire and watched the flames dance. "Mm...that is smelling quite amazing. What is it about cooking over an open flame, out in the wild, that just makes everything smell and taste better? I mean, I guess the wood might have something to do with it, but meals over a campfire are always my favorite."

"Lunch is served good sir."

"Thank you, my man. This looks great." Darrow said as he took his fish. He took a bite and made a pleased sound. "Yep, this is great. You could have been cook, my friend."

Image Image Image Image

Kate

Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:41 am

Fun? Yes, the chimera handler would certainly call this fun. Actually, it kind of felt like he had forgotten what fun was since Esca had died. Sure, he was starting to loosen up a bit more, especially around Darrow, and he was starting to warm up to a blue rider named A'rosious as well. Having known Darrow for a while though, he was far more comfortable with him, and had allowed himself to be a bit more open with him. Turns out, the young man was pretty nice man, and a really good friend too. The chimera handler had talked to him about Esca more than once, and the black handler had always been understanding and just let him get everything out.

Chuckling a bit, he listened to his friend. It actually wasn’t often that he heard the other handler talk about his family. This was actually the first time Devyn remembered him talking about them doing their shows and stuff. Shaking his head he said, ”Well I don’t know that I would let a young boy play with fire much either, but I’m glad you got to be so good at it. Saved me a lot of time and stuff since I’m not very good at stuff like that at all.”

Blue eyes watched the fish, until the blackhandlernspoke, and then the chimera handler turned his attention to him. "I really don't know what it is, but I definitely agree with you. Something about cooking out in the open over an open fire is just, always better."

Once the food was done and they were eating, a smile split Devyn's face as he heard Darrow's compliment. Chucking a bit he shrugged. "I dont think I'm THAT good. Just good enough to make sure I dont starve to death ya know?" Actually, he had learned a lot about cooking from his parents, but he had also picked up some things from being with Esca too. The green handler had been a good cook as well, and the two of them had, more than once, spent the night cooking together.

Taking a few more bites of his fish looked around, a satisfied look on his face. "So, you don't have any other plans for today then? Just hanging out with boring old me all day?"
Parker
Site Admin

Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:34 pm

”Well I don’t know that I would let a young boy play with fire much either, but I’m glad you got to be so good at it. Saved me a lot of time and stuff since I’m not very good at stuff like that at all.”

Darrow chuckled. "I didn't 'play' with the fire so much. I honestly just wanted to be good at starting it. Of course, it became a tiny bit less fun when everyone in the group wanted me to build their fires for them at night. I mean, making one is fun, but more than that and it is a chore...especially to a young boy who wanted to simply sit and stare at it while writing music or playing." He explained as he poked at the coals a little to get them into more of a pile.

"I really don't know what it is, but I definitely agree with you. Something about cooking out in the open over an open fire is just, always better."

He pondered as he continued to eat. "Hmm...maybe it takes us back to a simpler time...or makes us feel more primitive. I'm not sure. Could just be the open air, who knows." Darrow stated. Whatever it was he wasn't going to look a gift runner in the mouth. He was simply going to enjoy this food the way it was meant to be enjoyed, silently but with pleased noises.

"I dont think I'm THAT good. Just good enough to make sure I dont starve to death ya know?"

"Eh, I would say you're a little better than that. I mean, making sure you don't starve to death means just getting it cooked well enough to eat and being done. This actually has some good flavor to it." Darrow complimented and then continued to eat. He made sure to wipe the delicious juices that threatened to drip down his chin.

"So, you don't have any other plans for today then? Just hanging out with boring old me all day?"

Darrow shook his head and sighed. "You're not boring. If anything I am the boring one. The home body. Doesn't get out much...call me a hermit if you will. You're not boring. Yes, I don't have any other plans for the day. I only planned to spend time with you." He assured the chimerahandler.
Image Image Image Image

Kate

Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:40 am

Blue eyes danced with silent laughter as the chimera handler tried to hold in a chuckle, but ended up failing rather miserably at it. Just the way Darrow has said that,it was just a bit funny to him. Rolling his eyes he teased him back for a moment. ”Of course you weren’t paying with it, that would make you a pyro and you certainly don’t seem like one to me.”

Once Devyn comprehended the rest of what the young man had said, he gave him a small smile, and nodded. ”That really must have sucked for you. Well I promise as long as you want to build fires for us, it can be your job and I will stop you from having to do more than ours, unless you offer your help first.”

Honestly the older handler found himself feeling a bit sorry for the young man. You shouldn’t have something you love feel like a huge chore and ha e to do it for everyone, then it probably became a lot less fun. At least in the young man’s mind in was less fun.

Before either of them could really think about it much more, they were talking about eating over an open fire. Everything they had said between the two of them seemed like it could be true. There was no right or wrong answer, and since Devyn was inclined to believe that all of that was true, he just nodded in agreement and went back to eating his food lien the black handler was.

Shrugging a little, a bit of red creeping into his cheeks, the chimera handler just smiled and said, ”Well thanks for the vote of confidence. I appreciate it, although I’m quiet certain that there are people here who are much better at cooki than I am.” Of course he didn’t think he was that great of a cook, his modesty wouldn’t really let him. Devyn was not the type to toot his own horn or anything like that, hence why he had blushes when Darrow has complimented him on the food.

Finally they were done, and the blue eyed handler’s attention was back on the other young man as he answered his question. This time he couldn’t help but start laughing a little. ”Well aren’t we a pair then? Two boring people? Whatever will we do then? Although if I had to guess, I’d say it might be good to be boring sometimes. Well, actually, it might be good most of the time actually. Sometimes it’s good have an adventure or two or whatever you want to say, but I’m pretty content to not really have one of those for a while again actually.”

With that being said, the dark haired young man stood up, stretching a little bit and saying, ”I don’t know about you, but I’m going to go back and try and catch a few more fish and just relax.” Reaching over, Devyn once again took his pole from its spot leaning against the tree and headed back down to the shore, casting his line and sitting down, resting his back against the rock that happened to be there and smiling softly to himself.
Parker
Site Admin

Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:17 pm

Darrow tossed the remains of his fish to the side. He knew that the bones and whatever was left of the fish would decompose just fine and as such wasn't worried about it. Then, he licked his fingers clean quite improperly, before he used his handkerchief to finish cleaning them. Darrow pretended to take offense at the boring comment, but he knew it to be true. "Nothing wrong with being a little boring. Boring is safe, after all. Not that being dayhandlers is that boring of a job. Goddess knows it can be far too exciting at times." He said thinking back to the trouble with the felines, but not voicing that thought. "I'll admit, I've always had a bit of wanderlust. That's why I loved traveling with the family when I was younger. Got to see new places and people and things. That was always exciting to me."

”I don’t know about you, but I’m going to go back and try and catch a few more fish and just relax.”

He gave a sharp nod of his head, "I think that is a wonderful idea." He agreed and got up to grab his pole. This time he didn't ask for any help as he baited his own worm. Which was still disturbing, no one would ever be able to convince him of that otherwise. Then, he cast his line out and took a seat on the bank. He figured he could fish just as well sitting as he could standing, so might as well be comfortable.

After a moment of sitting there in silence, Darrow began to hum an old tune.

Oh, the summer time is coming,
And the trees are blooming,
And the wild mountain thyme
Grows around the blooming heather.

Will you go, lassie, will you go?
And we'll all go together
To pull wild mountain thyme
All around the blooming heather,
Will you go, lassie, go?
Image Image Image Image