Betting and Brawling [Tag: Shai/A'rosius]

The lands around New Atricis that are regarded as Atricis' new territory. Not as big as their previous protective range, but still lots of space and wilds to explore. Dragon Flights and Wher Runs also occur across these lands.
Kate

Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:10 am

Devyn found that as much as he hadn't liked to be around many people lately, A'rosious wasn't really all that bad. The blue rider was kind of shy, just like Devyn himself, so they both knew how the other felt really. Both having friends that tried to get them to open up. Ok, so Devyn's friend had turned into his boyfriend, but that was really beside the point, wasn't it? The fact still stood that there were people that were trying to get them out of their shells. Speaking of that, Devyn couldn't help but let his mind wander for just a moment and it settled on Darrow. Actually, the more Devyn thought about it, the more he felt like he was trying to do the same thing for Darrow. Esca had taught him that having friends was a good thing, and the more the merrier. Honestly, the chimera handler felt that Darrow should have the same option, and be able to feel the same way about it.

Blue eyes glanced back at the blue rider as he spoke once more. The first thing Devyn noticed was the blush on the man's face as he mentioned a brother. Devyn hid a chuckle pretty well. A brothel huh? It made sense why the young man blushed, Devyn would probably have to if he thought his friend was trying to pull that too. Smiling he told the other man, "Well, I mean, it's still early I guess? But, it doesn't seem like that's his intention. By now he'd be trying to get you drunk, and thats clearly not the case." Shaking his head he waved it off. "No need to apologize, I've heard worse before."

Nodding, Devyn grinned. "You're welcome, just figured I'd help a little." Finally he finished his first glass of ale and started on the one that the rider had given him. "Sure, I wouldn't be against trying some. I admit, I don't know much about wine, and might not like it, but it might be worth it, who knows."

Blue eyes watched the rider give his flit some wine and he smiled and chuckled. "The little one has good taste too huh?"
Image Image Image Image Image
Isiana & Andromedath | A'ric & Behemoth | K'uavaen & Synsith | Talen & Khonlen | Devyn & Isamuyn
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:51 pm

Well, at least A'rosius assumed that Mul'rec would not involve brothels by the end of the night, not when he enjoyed a good gamble, and the bluerider enjoyed good company. Still, he could not help but flash a glance over his shoulder at Mul'rec in suspicion. Right?

"Well, I mean, it's still early I guess? But, it doesn't seem like that's his intention. By now he'd be trying to get you drunk, and thats clearly not the case. No need to apologize, I've heard worse before."

The bluerider laughed at the remark of trying to get him drunk. That would not have been a difficult feat, though A'rosius refused to give Mul'rec the opportunity to try. He was comforted about the fact that Devyn seemed so confident that brothels were far from Mul'rec's intention. The fact he had heard worse, A'rosius could not help but wonder if a friend had tried a similar stunt on him. At least he was not offended though.

"Sure, I wouldn't be against trying some. I admit, I don't know much about wine, and might not like it, but it might be worth it, who knows."

A'rosius never thought he would ever have the opportunity to show someone their first glass of wine. Rather than just let him sip from his glass, A'rosius managed to raise a hand and coax a second glass from the bartender. If Devyn was to have his first taste of wine, A'rosius would make sure it was a proper first experience.

"The little one has good taste too huh?"

"Hmmm? Oh!" He smirked and looked down to Duesso, giving the little fancy flit a stroke of the feathers along the top of his head. "I actually don't know. He just likes wine, though I only let him have a drop of it. I don't think it's actually that good for them." Raising the glass up, he gave a swirl of the goblet and then brought the glass to his nose. It seemed like a pleasant bouquet, A'rosius thought to himself before he finally took a sip. "Hmmm... not bad-" He took another sip, making sure to approve of it for a first-time drinker- "I think you'll like it." Reaching over, he gave the man a healthy splash, just enough for Devyn to gauge what he thought of it. He was not trying to get him drunk after all; he merely wanted to enjoy his time with the dayhandler, and share something he loved with the man he recently met, even if it was only wine.
Kate

Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:47 pm

Devyn was quiet sure he had put the blue riders mind at ease, and it actually made him feel good. Sure, there was always the chance he could be wrong, but somehow the chimera handler serosily doubted that the blue rider’s friend was going to try and take him to a brothel. Being shy, the handler knew that was probably not the best thing for the rider anyway. Hearing the other man laifh, made Devyn feel like he had made the right choice in telling the rider that he had his doubts about the brothel.

For a moment, Devyn studied the happiness that seemed to come onto the man’s features as he agreed that he would try some of the wine. It was not really that big of a deal was it? Then again, maybe the blue rider was hoping he would like it, and that it would be somehting that the two of them would end up having in common? Who knows, and it wasn't really that big of a deal anyway he guessed. As A'rosious asked for another glass Devyn watched the batender and then looked at the glass with almost a questioning look for a few moments, before realizing what the blue rider had planned.

Smiling softly as he looked at the little flit, he couldn't help but chuckle to himself. A flit was something he had always thought about trying to get one. Maybe this time he would. Devyn was honestly not sure if he could handle caring for an animal right now. Hell, sometimes he wondered (just on his bad days really), how he was still managing to take care of himself after everything else that had been going on in his life. Pulling himself out of his thoughts he shrugged just a little. "We will see what happens the next time there is a hatching. I might just get one after all."

As the glass of wine was passed over to him, Devyn put his ale to the side and looked at the other drink for a moment. When the blue rider told him he thought he would like it, he gave him a quick smile before taking the glass and holding it up for a moment before raising it to her lips.

Taking a sip, he let it wash over his taste buds for a moment. Turning to A'rosious he chuckled and said, "You were right, that's pretty good." For a moment, he thought and then continued, "I could certainly get used to drinking this. I dont think I could give up ale, but it would be nice to have something different once in a while."

Looking around he smiled softly, "This place seems busy tonight. Although I'm not a gambling man, for some reason, I'm tempted to check out the cards right now."
Isiana & Andromedath | A'ric & Behemoth | K'uavaen & Synsith | Talen & Khonlen | Devyn & Isamuyn
Shaihulud

Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:38 am

"We will see what happens the next time there is a hatching. I might just get one after all."

The remark oddly piqued A'rosius' interest, not for the suddenness of it, though that might just have easily have caught his interest, but the fact Devyn had never owned one prior to this discussion. After turns in the Weyr, both in Benden and Atricis, people owning firelizard and other dragonkin pets had always come second nature to the bluerider. In fact, it seemed more peculiar to him when people forewent a life without them than with. A'rosius would have asked, but Devyn had decided to try that wine after all, thus giving A'rosius a moment of pause to see if the dayhandler might like this new found drink.

"You were right, that's pretty good. I could certainly get used to drinking this. I dont think I could give up ale, but it would be nice to have something different once in a while."

He smiled in turn. "I'm glad you think that. If you find yourself with a desire for more after your ale, please help yourself. I never like it when a good wine goes to waste." That being said, if A'rosius had to, he was more than confident he could polish off the bottle by the end of the night.

"This place seems busy tonight. Although I'm not a gambling man, for some reason, I'm tempted to check out the cards right now."

"Oh?" A'rosius asked with some surprise. "I mean, I suppose I am one... in a way... but not for cards per say." He made a glance back to tables in time to see Mul'rec collecting his mound of earnings while a new hand was dealt out by the dealer. "If you're tempted, you should enjoy yourself." As for A'rosius... well... he would likely drink his wine, maybe even step out for a breath of fresh air, and maybe admire the stars if the skies permitted it. He did have a question to ask Devyn, and hoped they might enjoy more of their conversation, but he would save it for now with the hope Devyn would give him another chance to ask it later in the evening.

The night was still young after all, and A'rosius still had a bottle of wine to finish.
Kate

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:19 pm

As soon as he said those words, he could almost see the surprise on the blue rider's face. Honestly, he had never thought about how weird it might seem that he did not have one. Almost everyone that he'd seen in his Turns here had some kind of pet. Whether it was one of the many breeds of flits, or canines, or felines, or runners. Everyone had something. Honestly, Devyn had been planning on getting himself a flit at the next Hatching that took place. Unfortunately, it was shortly after he decided that, that Esca passed away. After that, the chimera handler had not given it much thought. Well, until now that was. Maybe it was time he got one, something to give his care to, for now. Something to maybe help him cope with the loss of Esca.

Smiling softly, Devyn let his blue eyes study the rider for a moment. Nodding he said, "I will let you know, thanks." Of course, Devyn was more or less just trying to be polite. While he would maybe have some wine, he wasn't for sure yet. Already, the chimera handler had had two ales, and while the man could handle his liquor, he wasn't sure how much more he wanted to drink. When he had decided to come here, it had not been with the intention of getting drunk, or anything like that. Maybe he should just quit while he was ahead? But wouldn't that be kind of rude? A'rosious had just offered him a drink, after he was done with his ale. Surely, one glass of wine would be ok, right?

For a moment, blue eyes glanced over to where people were playing cards. Now Devyn knee how to play, and he was not terrible at it, but he never had any interest in gambling really. Shrugging a little he turned back to the dragon rider, his thoughts wandering for a moment. Again, he did not want to be rude to the other man, didn’t want to leave him sitting there by himself while he went to play cards. Finally he gave him a small smile, ”Well if you are sure you don’t mind.” Finishing the wine he had left, he said, ”I won’t be log, just one round. I just want to see how I do.”

As Devyn walked over, one of the other men was getting ready to leave. The chimera handler took his seat pulling out 50 marks and putting them down. He wasn't going to be a big spender, but he had to spend a bit. After a few hands, he had managed to lose some marks, and gain some. Finally, he decided it was probably time to quit while he was ahead.

Honestly, he didn't know how much time had passed, but it did not feel like all that much to him. Hopefully, it hadn't been long. Slowly, he made his way back over to where A'rosious was still sitting. "See, I told you I would be back, didn't I?"
Shaihulud

Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:34 pm

Well if you are sure you don’t mind. I won’t be long, just one round. I just want to see how I do.”

To be fair, Devyn owed A'rosius nothing, not even his word. Even if A'rosius hoped the dayhandler would keep it, part of him had learned never to trust a stranger until they had proven themselves worthy enough to be trusted. For this reason, A'rosius had made up his mind to expect disappointment. "Of course," he answered with a smile.

Yet when Devyn walked off to his game, A'rosius felt that weight of disappointment already beginning to settle. He won't be back, will he, he thought with a sip of his wine. He hoped the flavour that rushed over his tongue might serve as a distraction, and for a moment it succeeded, at least until Bowith perked back into his thoughts.

Why not give him the benefit of a doubt?

Rather than immediately answer, he looked over his shoulder at the man as the cards were dealt... and then peeked over at Mul'rec not far from him. He thought of the past and what happened the last time he gave someone the benefit of a doubt all too easily. I don't want to be hurt again, Bowith.

Hurt? Or disappointed?

And there was the truth of the matter. Perhaps the reason A'rosius so easily anticipated disappointment was that he had experienced it so often. Even in his youth, he had learned the price of hope and expectations; he had grown wary over the turns in result.

Yet Devyn seemed different, different enough that A'rosius found his hand reach over to top off his wine glass. He would take his time and nurse the drink, and if he did not show by the time the glass had finished, he would convince himself to enjoy his solitude by taking that step outside, to escape it all. That sound good to you?

Yes, I suppose so.

His dragon resigned to his choice, A'rosius nursed his drink in contemplation, trying not to think about the fact his company would likely not return. Duesso managed to distract him, the little flit enjoying a game of follow the finger as A'rosius enjoyed sip after sip of his wine. Once his glass reached the halfway mark, however, his company proved him wrong.

"See, I told you I would be back, didn't I?"

The arrival nearly startled A'rosius, leaving the bluerider staring at the man in surprise, much to his own chagrin. It was not only for the fact Devyn return, but the thing he said, and the way he said it. Had he suspected A'rosius did not believe him? "My apologies," the bluerider dipped his head in embarrassment. "I did not mean to be an unbeliever." He truly did mean it, for he had questioned the essence of Devyn's nature by doing so. "I do hope you did as well as you hoped, and that the little bit of wine you had did not throw you off too much-" which A'rosius meant considering Devyn topped himself off with wine after drinking two ales. Rather than dwell on his doubt, he tried to look to the future instead, hoping his company would give A'rosius the chance to truly get to know him. "Would you like that glass of wine now?" He motioned to the glass and bottle.
Kate

Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:08 am

Now Devyn has always been a man of his word, and he didn’t plan on changing that part of him anytime soon. Actually, it was one of the few things he prided himself on. When he was a child, that had been one of the first things his father had instilled in him. Always be the type of man that never goes back on their word.

Playing cards had been fun and all, by there was something that had caught his interest when he was talking to the blue rider. Honestly, he couldn’t quiet place his finger on what it was, but he was just drawn to him. The chimera handler felt as though the two of them could end up being great friends. The young man was not in any kind of rush for anything mow, but he couldn’t help but think about if this could end up being something more than that, down the road.

The shock he saw on the blue riders face made a look of a bit of shock appear on his own face. What was wrong? Maybe A’rosious had not expected him to come back so soon. Hell, if thechimera handler had actually been a gambler, he probably wouldn’t have been back that quick. Honestly he did i more for the fun than anything else. Devyn would rather keep his money honestly than spend it all on something as silly as cards.

Finally as the blue rider spoke, Devyn grinned just a bit. ”Well I didn’t do great, but I didn’t do terrible either. I play really just to test my skills and not much more really.” chuckling a bit he shook his head at the next thing he said. ” No the wine did not not mess me up at all. I don’t think I had enough for it to do anything."

For a moment, the young man let his blue eyes settle on the wine bottle and glass, thinking a moment. Thee was really no reason why he couldn't have some, right? Finally, after a moment, he nodded. "Sure, why not? One glass isn't going to hurt anything." Besides, it seemed to him that the blue rider wanted the company, and Devyn was in no rush to go back to his empty apartment.
Shaihulud

Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:25 pm

As a man who lived a life filled with letdowns, it truly meant so much to A'rosius that Devyn kept to his word. He could have left A'rosius, and never returned. It certainly would not have been a first. Therefore, A'rosius now could not stop the smile that pulled at his lips as Devyn began to explain his luck... or lack there of...

”Well I didn’t do great, but I didn’t do terrible either. I play really just to test my skills and not much more really.”

Perhaps par was a better term to describe Devyn's games.

"No the wine did not mess me up at all. I don’t think I had enough for it to do anything."

"Good, then I don't feel so bad," the bluerider replied in a tease. It certainly did amuse him, the reason Devyn partook in a few games. Were there be other skills in enjoyed honing from time to time? The bluerider made sure to note the question with the rest of the questions slowly accumulating on his mental list. The more he spoke with Devyn, the more he found himself intrigued. Naturally, he wanted to know more.

Might he take A'rosius up on the offer for a proper glass? Patiently, he gave Devyn the time he needed to calculate his own fortitude against a second glass. As he did so, A'rosius found his gaze begin to drift, noting the crop of the man's dark hair that framed his sharp face. He had lovely eyes, he could not help but note privately once again... before he gave himself a quick shake of his head and realised the wine had gotten the best of him. A flash of heat scattered across his cheek. Was it the wine? No, he knew better than to assume such a thing when the memory of those eyes lingered in his thoughts. Tempted by the memory of them, A'rosius dared to steal one last peak. He prayed Devyn would not notice.

"Sure, why not? One glass isn't going to hurt anything."

He gave a nod of his head with yet another broad smile. Why did he smile so? A'rosius supposed it had something to do with the fact he enjoyed the man's company.

You suppose? You're lying to yourself if that's what you think, snorted his beast. Why is it so hard for you to admit to the fact that you fancy him?

A'rosius' cheeks turned a noticeable shade of red at the mention of it. He tried his best not to show it, focusing on the wine being poured for Devyn instead. Because I try not to make it a habit to fancy men whom I know nothing about.

Then ask him a question. You have plenty of them, after all.

A'rosius supposed that was true. It took him a moment to ask it though. He looked to Devyn, giving the man a chance to enjoy the wine, though when he tried to speak, the words failed him. He chuckled in embarrassment, and did not find the courage to speak past the blush until the sound of lively cheer and pounding by the gambling tables broke the silence. Certainly a lively bunch. It was enough to draw a proper laugh from A'rosius, and fill him with the courage to speak. "So why so long without a firelizard or 'lizard of some sort? There always seems to be a handout of some sort around the Weyr at any given time."

Duesso eyed the man curiously as well.

"And I think Duesso is curious if his handsomeness changed your mind," he chuckled.
Kate

Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:48 am

Devyn could not help but chuckle a little. Honestly he thought is was a bit funny that the blue rider had been worried that the wine would affect how he played cards. Granted, the chimera handler knew that he had had two ales before that, but he knew he had always been able to handle his alcohol. Besides that, he also knew his limit, even if he did purposely go past it sometimes. ”You don’t have to be sorry. If it affected me, it would have been my own fault for drinking more than I should have been. That’s not easy since I know my limit, and I’m still nowhere near it.”

Blue eyes caught the other young man looking at him, but it was only for a moment, so the chimera handler just wrote it off to a figment of his imagination. Imagining things had always seemed to be a bit common to him, so that’s why he didn’t have any problem just writing it off as that.

As the wine was poured, there was a bit of a silence, but, surprisingly, it wasn’t the awkward kind or anything like that. Once the wine had been poured, the dark haired man gently took his glass, raising it to his lips, taking a small sip, and honestly it wasn’t all that bad. Maybe he would end up liking wine more than ale. Well, eventually maybe.

Devyn had just swallowed a mouthful of his one when A’rosious spoke once again. For a moment, the chimera handler found himself debating if he really wanted to really get into that. Time had healed him a bit, but he knew no matter what, this was going to lead to him mentioning Esca and how he had lost him. Even the mention of the blue riders flit being handsome only earned him the tiniest smile.

Taking one more breath he decided that he should talk about it. ”I always the intention of getting one. The next Hatching that I saw, I was going to get one. Then, my whole world got turned upside down in the blink of an eye. My boyfriend was out on patrol, and he and his partner were attacked by wild felines. Unfortunately, his injuries were too severe and he passed away after a few days. After that, I just, never wanted to get one. I almost feel like it will just remind me of how things used to be, and I already can’t help but think about him all the time. I just don’t know if I need a constant reminder.”

Realizing he had been rambling and a small blush crept onto his face. ”Sorry, didn’t mean to make that so long winded.” With that, trying to hide the blush that he could almost feel getting worse, Devyn quickly took another sip of his wine.
Shaihulud

Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:59 am

”You don’t have to be sorry. If it affected me, it would have been my own fault for drinking more than I should have been. That’s not easy since I know my limit, and I’m still nowhere near it.”

A'rosius smiled in response, though he said nothing of his thoughts. He easily recalled his time in the trade caravans, how the traders easily drank beyond their limits once they reached their destination. In excess, they celebrated their travels with all manners of debauchery. The next day, when he awoke to the glow of dawn, he never failed to hear the wretch gags of vomiting around the camp, for there was always one.

A conversation of 'lizard pets seemed far safer, though it appeared A'rosius' assumptions were wrong. He noticed his error first in the sudden change of Devyn's pleasant demeanour. And then the handler spoke.

”I always the intention of getting one. The next Hatching that I saw, I was going to get one. Then, my whole world got turned upside down in the blink of an eye. My boyfriend was out on patrol, and he and his partner were attacked by wild felines. Unfortunately, his injuries were too severe and he passed away after a few days. After that, I just, never wanted to get one. I almost feel like it will just remind me of how things used to be, and I already can’t help but think about him all the time. I just don’t know if I need a constant reminder.” He gave pause as A'rosius felt his heart sink for the man. ”Sorry, didn’t mean to make that so long winded.”

"No, please don't apologise," A'rosius assured him. Fingers twitched with the want to touch Devyn in comfort, but he refrained if only for the fact he did not believe it was his place. Even if he had begun to feel a sense of familiarity in Devyn's company, he had only just met this man. "There is no need to. And it wasn't rambling, I assure you," replied the bluerider. Though he denied Devyn of touch, his eyes conveyed his sympathies to the handler. "I-I cannot say I know how you feel, for I have never lost a loved one in such a manner before. But I would like to think I am correct when I say you have a right to mourn him." Once more his fingers shifted, the hesitation evident. Once more he held back for fear he might offend. "If you do not mind me asking, how long ago did it happen?"