Betting and Brawling [Tag: Shai/A'rosius]

The lands around New Atricis that are regarded as Atricis' new territory. Not as big as their previous protective range, but still lots of space and wilds to explore. Dragon Flights and Wher Runs also occur across these lands.
Kate

Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:05 pm

Blue eyes looked around the empty apartment, a frown coming to the young man's face. The walls felt as though they were closing in around him. All this place did now was make him think of Esca, make him think of everything he had just lost. Honestly, he tried not to think about it, because he didn't want to keep getting upset. Esca would want him to be happy. The problem with that though, was that he knew part of the grieving process was getting upset, just letting everything out. The rational part of him knew that's how it was going to go, and that it would help. The other part didn't really want to look like a cry baby in front of everyone, or even just to himself. Devyn tried to push everything to the back of his mind. It had been a turn and a half since Esca had passed. Quickly he shook his head, he was just going to get cleaned up. Not that he had really done much that day, Devyn just always felt better after he got himself cleaned up. It was probably time that he got out of here, and least for a little while. It would do him good to just get out of the apartment for a while. Come to think of it, he hadn't really eaten today either, so it might be a good idea to at least get some kind of food into him, even if he didn't really feel much like eating.

After getting dressed, instead of heading out to the dining hall, he decided he would just hit one of the bars. Those tended not to remind him of Esca too much. They had gone out, but mostly when they drank it was at home. Finally, he found a place that looked suitable enough. As he walked in, he was shocked to see that the place was full. Just great. Not really what I wanted. Not. he thought to himself.

Sitting down at the bar by himself, he quickly got the attention of someone and ordered himself some food, and a nice stiff drink. Blue eyes wandered around, looking at everyone while he took a few sips of his drink. It didn't take them long to get him his food, and he was thnakful for that as his stomach gave a low growl. Apparently, he hadn't really realized exactly how hungry he was. His eyes looked around once more, but he really didn't see anyone he knew, so he just took a sip of his drink and people watched while he was waiting.
Image Image Image Image Image
Isiana & Andromedath | A'ric & Behemoth | K'uavaen & Synsith | Talen & Khonlen | Devyn & Isamuyn
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:57 pm

Oh shards, what were they doing here? A'rosius wondered as he looked about the tavern in utter dismay. Filled to the brim with patrons, the tavern bounced with life, encouraged by the gregarious drunkards and the lively music at the stage. A small group of men and women alike, many of who bore rider and handler knots, danced to the tune of the violin near the stage, while other groups clustered scattered across the establishment with sloshing tankards and boisterous laughter.

"Come on," Mul'rec called to A'rosius, who had froze in the centre of the tavern. To move the man, Mul'rec took the bluerider by his shoulder, and pushed him through the crowd. "Let's go."

"Why are we doing this again?" A'rosius asked with a wavering voice. He doubted himself in this moment as music and voices blared around him, and the scent of beer and liquor hung in the air. How could he let Mul'rec talk him into this? Why did he let him? A'rosius had only meant casual conversation at the time while they discussed Inez and how she settled, but then Mul'rec asked the bluerider blatantly what he was doing with his life, where he was was going, who was he seeing.

... A'rosius blushed with the question, a blush which was the last thing he remembered before Mul'rec dragged him out to this tavern.

"We're living life," Mul'rec said back to him before he pointed to the corner of a table unoccupied by a group of rowdy riders. "Sit, and I'll get us some drinks."

"Wine," A'rosius made sure to clarify his preference.

"No, no wine. You're having ale just like everyone else," Mul'rec smirked back to him before he slipped off into the crowd for the main bar. As the brownrider called for two ambers, he made a glance around the tavern, noting the individuals, who drank were in groups, who drank alone, and it was then that he spotted a man alone at the bar. He said nothing as he eyed the man, a handsome man to be sure, and was then decided on what he would do. With his pints in hand, he returned to A'rosius and gave him his tankard. "Drink up."

The bluerider eyed his drink with suspicion, and slowly neared it, only for the offensive scent to invade his nose. "This smells awful!"

"Drink!" Mul'rec commanded once more with a smile as he toasted with the man and drank his ale.

A'rosius tried, and nearly gagged. "I don't know if I can do this," he answered after he managed to swallow the first drink.

"Too bad," the brownrider smirked back. "Because you will drink that, and as you do... you see that man there at the bar?"

"Which man?" A'rosius asked as he still recovered from the first sip. He attempted a second, a nearly gagged. How did people drink this awful stuff?

Because I don't think they taste it after a while. You know what getting drunk does to the senses, Bowith perked with some amusement in this thoughts.

A'rosius gave his dragon a shake of his head, though there was a slight smile on his features, one that likely had to do with the laughter and music about him. Now in his corner, he could observe without feeling overwhelmed...

"I'm talking about that attractive man at the bar. You will know him when you see him," Mul'rec answered, but to A'rosius' dismay.

The bluerider was almost afraid to look, and once more the doubt began to seep into his mind about why he was here... doing this... and with Mul'rec of all people.

But the brownrider remained constant. Rather than let A'rosius play oblivious, he leaned over to the bluerider to directed A'rosius' eyes to the man he spoke of.

A'rosius was stunned when he spotted the man, and felt his heart thud in his throat, almost suffocating him. "No, absolutely not." Yes, he agreed with Mul'rec, the man was attractive, but like hell was he going to simply waltz up to him, a stranger, and... do whatever it was Mul'rec tried to get him to do.

"Yes, absolutely, yes." The brownrider turned A'rosius to face him, and much to A'rosius' dismay, Mul'rec loosened the tie of the tunic he sported, and then proceded reached up to run his fingers through A'rosius' pale wheat locks. "You need to stop waiting for life to happen to you-" Mul'rec straightened out the last of A'rosius' tunic "-Sometimes, you must take it by the reigns. You've led an adventurous life, Ambr. Remember that when you face him. You've done braver acts than speak with strangers."

His green eyes traded between the brownrider, to the brown drink, to the brown haired man at the bar. Part of him was... curious... he had to admit, and yet... "I don't even know what to say."

Mul'rec looked to him for a long moment with a soft smile, and a shimmer of mischief in his eyes. The silence kept the bluerider on edge, for he needed an answer. "I'm sure you'll figure it out."

A'rosius rolled his eyes. "How did I know you were going to say that?" He took another sip of his beer, a long drink of it, one that went down easier than the last attempt.

"Go. Be brave A'rosius. It's time."

After a moment of thought, A'rosius finally gave a nod of his head. "Alright, I'll do it." His heart was pounding, his palms were sweating, but shards he was going to do it. After all, what did he have to lose?

"Good."

"I'm going to do this."

"Good."

"I'm doing this..." and yet he sat in his seat, mulling over just how he was going to go about this.

Mul'rec eyed him. He did not need to say it.

"Yes," A'rosius stood to his feet before Mul'rec could force him to them. With tankard at hand, he was about to step foward, only to catch himself. "And what about you? What are you going to do?"

"Gamble," he said simply, and then motioned for A'rosius to proceed.

With a final glance of hesitation, A'rosius slipped off to the bar. He saw the man, noting how he looked around, and when A'rosius finally approached... he took the seat next to the man and kept eyes locked upon the bar. He drank a swig of the ale, thought on his words for a good long moment...

You're good with words. Use them.

Lips opened, and yet hesitated, catching himself in a stuttered. He tried once more. "I-I saw your knots. Dayhandler from Atricis?" Shards but the answer was obvious, but it was all A'rosius could think of when in the presence of the man, an attractive man. Mul'rec was right, though A'rosius did not want to think too much about things like appearance and attraction about a man he hardly knew, for he was not the type to do so.
Kate

Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:59 pm

Apparently all types were here tonight. Devyn found his eyes wandering to look at where there were men gambling and playing cards. For a moment, a smile played across his face. Actually, that quiet reminded him of being back home in Telgar. While the chimera handler was not really a betting man, he still knew how to play cards. It was just something he and his friends had kind of learned. Basically from their fathers or whoever, but they had always learned a few games just on their own. By learned, Devyn meant more likely just invented new rules or something.

Letting his mind wander, Devyn began to wonder how come he and Esca had never played cards. Neither of them were really gamblers, but it would have been something they could have just done to have fun every once in a while. It would have just been something different.

Pushing those thoughts to the back of his mind, he took another swig of his drink. Sure, he liked to think back fondly on his memories of Esca. Who wouldn't want to do that when it came to loved ones they had lost? Devyn knew though, that this was basically just the grieving process. It wasn't anything that no one else ever went through. The young man just needed to find his own way to cope with it.

It didnt take long for his food to come, and he didn't really feel hungry save for the occasional grumble of his stomach, until the food was actually sitting in front of him. Before he dug in, he took another sip of his drink and then took a bite of his food, savoring the taste of it.

It was then that he heard a voice, and for a moment he didn't know if that voice was talking to him or not. Looking over as he swallowed, he nodded. "Yes, I am, and you are...a dragon rider from Atricis huh? Sorry I'm not used to people starting up conversations with me. My name's Devyn, nice to meet you." With that, he extended his hand in proper greeting, trying not to forget his manners.
Isiana & Andromedath | A'ric & Behemoth | K'uavaen & Synsith | Talen & Khonlen | Devyn & Isamuyn
Shaihulud

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:26 pm

"Yes, I am, and you are...a dragon rider from Atricis huh? Sorry I'm not used to people starting up conversations with me. My name's Devyn, nice to meet you."

The strike up of a conversation came easier than A'rosius anticipated, which immediately caused the bluerider to broaden with a smile, and sigh softly in relief. "Yes," he answered as he accepted the man's hand with his delicate one. He gave the daywher handler a surprisingly firm shake with those slim fingers (after turns of practice, A'rosius had perfected the art of a firm and masculine handshake... even back when he had simply been Ambrosius, assistant steward of Benden Hold). "It's nice to meet you Devyn. I'm A'rosius, rider of blue Bowith..." he paused only to chuckle. It seemed formality had gotten the better of him over the Turns. "But my friends call me Ambr." He made a glace to the seat next to the dayhandler, and had enough courtesy to ask before he dare assume to take the seat. "Is this seat taken?"

Though he asked the question with as much nonchalant congeniality as he could manage, part of the bluerider doubted his own actions. Should he have been so carefree around such a stranger as this man? Did Devyn mind his want to be sociable? Or did he prefer his privacy and space? Weighed down by the dread of a second thought, the bluerider gulped in hesitation. "I mean, if you don't mind of course."

He would never dare to intrude, no matter the amount of cordiality shown to him.
Kate

Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:50 am

Devyn was actually a little shocked at how easy it was to speak to someone. Not that he didn't WANT to talk to anyone, it was just that ever since Esca had passed on, he hadn't exactly found it easy to talk to other people. Although if he was being honest, it had never been the easiest thing for him to talk to people. Being with Esca had allowed him to start opening up to people a little more. Now that he was gone though, the chimera handler was starting to go back to the way he had been before the two of them had first met. Maybe he was starting to finally just accept that eventually he would have to find someone else. Maybe not a romantic relationship, but he would need friends, that was for sure. Sure he had Cas and Talen but they had their own children so they were usually pretty busy. Then there was Darrow, but he didn’t see the black handler that much, so making new friends, outside of the Pack even, would probably be a good idea right?

Just as those thoughts cleared his mind, it was almost like he could just hear Dsca once again, telling him that he needed to have people around and be happy. Devyn was still not sure he would ever be completely happy ever again, but he had promised Esca, so he was going to try. The dragon rider's voice, brought the handler out of his thoughts and he quickly shook the man's hand, surprised by the firmness of the shake. Well, he guessed he shouldn't be surprised, but the rider's hands were so, thin and soft. "Well it's nice to meet you to A'rosious." Devyn did not just want to consider himself a friend when they had just met, so he refrained from calling him Ambr, for now.

Shaking his head at the blue rider's question, he replied, "No, the seat's not taken. You're free to sit there if you want. I wouldn't mind. Might be nice to have someone to talk to for a little while." Of course, he still needed to finish his food, but that wouldn't take very long anyway.

Taking a quick bite of food, and swallowing it, he turned back to the dragon rider. "So, what brings you here tonight anyway? No offense, but you don't seem to be the type that comes here often, or at all."
Shaihulud

Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:23 pm

"Well it's nice to meet you to A'rosious."

Though impossible to judge a man by appearance and introduction alone, A'rosius wanted to mark Devyn as a good-natured soul. Perhaps it was the warmth that the bluerider felt from those striking blue eyes, or his quick acceptance of A'rosius' request. Whatever the reason, the bluerider felt a smile brighten upon his own narrow face in appreciation.

"No, the seat's not taken. You're free to sit there if you want. I wouldn't mind. Might be nice to have someone to talk to for a little while."

His smile widened. "Thank you. Truly." Though if the bluerider were honest with himself, he had not exactly planned a conversation beyond their initial acquaintance. As he eased into the chair, back straight and proper, however, Devyn asked presented the perfect question attached with an accurate observation.

"So, what brings you here tonight anyway? No offense, but you don't seem to be the type that comes here often, or at all."

A chuckle escaped the bluerider. "Yes... well..." he made quick glance away to cough out what nerve remained before he manged enough gumption to answer. "You see, I was dragged here by a friend of mine... and I am still uncertain whether my concession was willing as willing one. I suppose it depends on the outcome of this evening." His chuckle punctuated the humour of the entire farce, albeit with a touch of nerve. He made a glance over his shoulder, and spotted the brownrider in question. "My friend had decided to send me on a mission to speak with you, and I am quite suspicious of his intentions-" He paused for a moment, only to realise "-'quite' as in somewhat. If I was very suspicious, I don't think I would have managed to be as forthcoming as I was." He offered the dayhandler a wry smile. "To be fair, however, I have the company of my friend... at least in part. But what about yourself? What brings you here?"

Had he been too verbos? A'rosius hoped not, though he could be horribly tedious when placed on the spot in territories as unfamiliar as this.
Kate

Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:41 pm

As the blue rider thanked him, Devyn just kind of shrugged if off. Honestly he didn’t need to be thanked. The seat had not been taken, so anyone could have sat there, whtmether it had been the blue A’rosious or not. Even though Devyn was usually not the most eager to meet new people, he also wasn’t going to be rude and tell the other man that he couldn’t sit there. It just wasn’t how he had been taught, he had better manners than that.

Devyn took a few more bites of his food while the other man answered the question he had posed to him. Blue eyes danced with silent laughter, and then the chimera handler could t stop himself from chuckling ever so slightly. The blue rider’s friend telling him to do that honestly sounded like something that Esca probably would have told Devyn to do. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to laugh, and I wasn't laughing at you. I was laughing at the situation. It sounds like something that would have happened to me."

A'rosious spoke more and Devyn followed his gaze to where his friend was sitting at the card table. Chuckling he said, "Well, I guess he could have picked a worse guy for you to come and try and talk to." He took another sip of his drink and looked at the rider for a moment before saying, "Me? I just wanted to not go to the dining hall today. Thought I'd check out a bar I haven't been to before. Just didn't have anyone to come with unfortunately, so I ended up here by myself."
Shaihulud

Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:56 am

Why could he not slow down? Under any other circumstance, the bluerider would have found his tongue easily enough, but in times like these, it evaded him effortlessly, leaving him a wordy mess. However, though the bluerider suspected his explanation sounded more like a baby's babblings than anything else, he still held onto the hope that Devyn could untangle at least a part of the word knot given to him.

And then Devyn began to laugh... “Sorry, I didn’t mean to laugh, and I wasn't laughing at you. I was laughing at the situation. It sounds like something that would have happened to me."

A smile broke upon A'rosius delicate face. What a relief, he thought as pushed back his waving crop of wheat toned locks and chuckled with the man. "That's good to know," he replied.

"Well, I guess he could have picked a worse guy for you to come and try and talk to-" he paused for a sip of his beverage "-Me? I just wanted to not go to the dining hall today. Thought I'd check out a bar I haven't been to before. Just didn't have anyone to come with unfortunately, so I ended up here by myself."

A'rosius answered the dayhandler with a sympathetic nod. "I know what you mean, though normally when I don't wish to partake in the company of the dining hall, I retreat to my apartment to make a quiet dinner, and then enjoy a glass of wine. I suppose that is why Mul'rec felt it best to intervene." He would have hated the man for it if he could, though the bluerider found it oddly hard to locate those reserves of frustration that he filled over the turns. Somehow all that resentment A'rosius held against Mul'rec had magically drained away, and he knew not how it had happened. Maybe it had something to do with the fact they partook in one another's company after the recent feast to discuss their regrets and their aspirations. After a long conversation involving their feelings for Inez and Sid'nis, Mul'rec made a heartfelt apology to A'rosius.

I did not respect you as I should have, Ambr, the brownrider silently confessed to him after they had polished off a bottle of wine together. For that, I am sorry.

It had been a difficult conversation, especially when Mul'rec became more than candid about the bluerider's ex-weyrmate. For a long silence, A'rosius dwelt on that conversation, allowing the truth to take root in him. He abhorred the meaning of their conversation and how it defined - or rather confirmed the bluerider's suspicions about - the nature of his relationship with his ex-weyrmate. For turns did A'rosius suspect the truth, but after that night, he no longer doubted it: It was Mul'rec whom Sid'nis had always loved.

Are you angry? Mul'rec had asked at the time.

He licked his lips, tasting the faint essence of wine that lingered. No, I don't think I can be anymore. He made a series of poor choices over the turns, including being with me. I realise that now, and I accept it. I was a mistake... but at least I have the courage to admit it now. Now, A'rosius could finally move on without looking back. I've wasted too many turns on him, and I realise now that... we both need to move on. I can only hope he'll be wiser now than he was in the past, if not for his sake, then for our daughters.

Mul'rec looked at the bluerider as though his eyes pried for the answer before he asked the question. Do you love him?

A'rosius did not hesitate, though he did consider his answer before giving it. No, not anymore. Saying it out loud that finally freed the bluerider from the fetters of his past that enslaved him for so long.

Now, here he sat with Devyn, waiting for the bartender to finally acknowledge him. As for his current pint of ale... "I don't actually really mind the tavern, but this... this ale..." he looked to Devyn with a hint of laughter in those green eyes. "I've no idea how anyone drinks ale. I don't think I'll be able to finish mine. I think I'll stick with wine." Even though he hated waste, A'rosius could not bring himself to finish it. "Would you like it?" He asked, offering the pint, though part of the A'rosius felt guilty for offering the man a partially touched drink.
Kate

Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:22 pm

Devyn was actually a little shocked at how easy it was to speak to someone. Not that he didn't WANT to talk to anyone, it was just that ever since Esca had passed on, he hadn't exactly found it easy to talk to other people. Honestly, Devyn knew he probably didn't need to explain about the laughing, but he felt that it would just be better manners to. He didn't want the blue rider getting embarrassed or anything just because he was laughing.

A'rosious talking about how he usually liked to stay away from the crowd of the Dining Hall kind of hit home with Devyn. Ever since Esca had passed, the chimera handler had spent more nights eating in the apartment than he had in the Dining Hall. Sometimes, he just wanted to be alone. Ok, maybe a bit more than sometimes, but could you blame him? In the past few Turns he had lost his girlfriend, and then his boyfriend (and the love of his life), had died. It was not really uncommon for someone who went through that to want to be left alone. Finally he said, "Well, it might be a good thing he intervened. I know how you feel, but trust me, it's not so bad. I had a friend basically do the same thing to me, and it actually turned out ok."

For a few moments, there was silence, but not really the awkward kind, so Devyn took that opportunity to finish his food, and work on finishing his drink. It was honestly nice to get to know the other person, especially a dragon rider. It was good to know a variety of people was it not? He only knew one other dragon rider, and that was C'sian.

Finally, the blue rider spoke again and Devyn looked at him and chuckled a little. "Ale is something I think people have to acquire a taste for. I drink it, but that's probably because I've never really tried anything else. Well, besides whiskey. I'd rather have ale then whiskey most of the time." When he was offered the drink he thought a moment and then shrugged. "Sure, I'll finish it." Taking the drink from him, he raised his hand and got the bartenders attention for the other man. "There, maybe now you can order a drink you will actually like."
Shaihulud

Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:04 pm

Although wary by nature, A'rosius had to admit he enjoyed Devyn's company. For this one night, he set aside caution, so that he might speak openly with Devyn, to truly familiarise himself with the dayhandler. A'rosius wanted to believe he could allow such a display of imprudence on his behalf. Suspicion could not define his life forever.

"Well, it might be a good thing he intervened." Part of A'rosius agreed with Devyn. If the night managed to wane without disaster, A'rosius would take it upon himself to thank Mul'rec for his interference. "I know how you feel, but trust me, it's not so bad. I had a friend basically do the same thing to me, and it actually turned out ok."

"That is good to know. I will admit that with Mul'rec, I was suspicious. I partially expected his offer involved a brothel. Therefore I declined immediately when he initially made the suggestion of having... what did he call it? Oh, that's right, a 'man's night out'." A chuckle rumbled out of the bluerider, though he could not bring himself to regard Devyn with the embarrassing confession. The very memory of Mul'rec's insistence, and the fact A'rosius had dared to admit his own process of thought before a stranger caused him to blush noticeably - an easy feat on cheeks as fair as his. A finger ran down the tip of his sharp nose, a silent indication his former-self chided the present one, before he managed to look back at Devyn. "My apologies for my... honesty." It was impolite to discuss such things as brothels in the company of strangers and newly made acquaintances.

"Sure, I'll finish it." A smile escaped him as Devyn accepted the offer. At least he was not offended by it. When he got the bartender's attention, A'rosius' eyes widened. "There, maybe now you can order a drink you will actually like."

"Oh, why thank you," he replied before turning to the bartender. "Yes, do you have any red wines?"

"Got somethin' from Nabol, n' a merlot from Bitra."

"I'll take the merlot," A'rosius answered. With the price given, the bluerider slipped the marks onto the counter, and., in turn, he received his prized wine. "I think I will like this a bit more. You are welcome to try some if you'd like... I mean once you finish your ale." The bluerider was honestly surprised Devyn had never tried wine. He seemed like the sort who would have enjoyed it given the chance.

As he poured himself a glass, Duesso arrived at his side to watch the sluice of merlot that splashed into the goblet. Patiently, the emerald fancy flit waited, until A'rosius had poured himself a healthy glass, dipped a finger into the dark red drink, and offered it to Duesso to lap up. The flit did not delay in accepting the rare treat.