How Things Change ~ Tag: Rhianwen/Linnea

The lands around New Atricis that are regarded as Atricis' new territory. Not as big as their previous protective range, but still lots of space and wilds to explore. Dragon Flights and Wher Runs also occur across these lands.
Parker
Site Admin
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him

Mon May 14, 2018 2:00 am

(Timed to three weeks after this thread: Some Anniversary)

Sid'nis had bearable days, bad days, and really bad days. Today was just a bad day. Which was, indeed, bad, but no where near as horrible as his really bad days. The really days were the ones where Iolith generally informed V'an or Rath that they needed to watch over him so he didn't end up hurting himself or in some cases...other people. Today was a bad day for no particular reason, just a bunch of small ones that had merely kept growing until the point Sid had had to leave the weyr to take a breather from everything. He'd been in the infirmary helping Rath with a not so serious case, but he kept managing to either drop things or poke himself with the suture he was using to stitch a nasty gash. The last poke had been the last straw. Far more hot tempered these days, he's cursed and stormed off. Rath came after him and told him to go take a break. Sid listened to him as he was better at recognizing when he was about to have one of his really bad spells.

So he left the infirmary, went home, changed clothes, grabbed a blanket and other things, and then left the weyr entirely. Iolith found a nice sunny spot on a hilly area not too far from the weyr and landed. He was going to go fly around the area just to be sure it was safe and to just look around. Sid spread out the blanket and then took the book he'd brought and the bottle of whisky and settled onto the blanket. His plan was to get some sun, read, and drink for several hours. He kicked off his boots, socks, and his shirt. The sun was so warm it felt good on his skin.

He opened the book to where he'd left off and opened the bottle of whisky. Two long pulls was taken from it seemingly without any indication that the strong liquid bothered him anymore. The old Sid would have barely been able to get down one shot without making a horrible face, but then this new Sid was vastly different. In attitude, in practices, and most certainly in appearance. His appearance was the most noticeable difference. The change had not been all that gradual. One day, about two sevendays ago, after shaving he looked at himself in the mirror and realized that he couldn't stand his own appearance. Every time he saw himself he saw the person he use to be...happy, laid-back, cared for others, a good man. That person was a lie of who he was now so he did what he could to change his appearance. The tattoo on his hand, the constant reminder of his kidnapping, was now fully extended up his left arm. On his right side was a similar looking tattoo that ran from his rib cage and down to his hip, wrapping around it a little and dipped below the pant line. His hair, which had always been clean cut and well kept, was now longer and shaggier on top, but shaved very short on the sides. He'd even found someone that taught him a few tips and helped him to lighten it up from what it was.

Sid had honestly felt much better after it was all said and done. As an added benefit, he had not expected Rath to react the way he had. It was quite the pleasurable reaction and thinking about it always caused him to smirk a little, even with the fact his best friend V'an had previously confronted Rath. Yes, he recognized how unhealthy that not-a-relationship relationship was, but for now it seemed neither of them was willing to let go of it. He knew Rath had feelings for him, Rath knew he thought those sorts of feelings were a lie and a cause of heartache he didn't want any part of anymore, and still they continued to find pleasure with each other. Rath was by far not the only person he found pleasure in. But right now he wasn't thinking of that...his focus was only on his book and his whisky.
Image Image Image Image Image
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Candidate Carver | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

.::..::..::..::..::..
PC Character Tracker | Marks Tracker | NPC Stash
Linnea

Mon May 21, 2018 2:41 pm

The thing about winter wasn't that it was cold, but that it was wet. You could go weeks without seeing more than grey skies. When the sun broke through, therefore, you had to take advantage of it.

Rhianwen kicked her heels into the runners side and leaned into the gallop the creature broke into as they hit a hilly, open area not too close to any large bodies of water so the ground would stay firm. Faranth's Wings ate up the distance before them. Rhianwen felt the wind on her face without goggles and bent down low to press the palomino on. He had been bred for racing--a fact made obvious with his name--but hadn't lived up to the moniker. One of the beastcrafters at the Weyr had taken him in and seemed happy to have someone else to give him a thorough workout.

As focused as she was on the clear sky, the sun on her skin, the wind on her face, she had left the ground to Faranth's Wings. It left her distracted, so when she looked ahead to see someone spread out not far in front of her, she was surprised and drew her mount back to a walk, managing to do so around the time she could make out features.

He was a rider, she could guess, by his appearance, though she could not see his face for the book covering it. A glance at his shoulder proved him to ride blue. A glance at the air didn't show the blue anywhere particularly close and if she opened her mind a bit more, Rhianwen could not pick anything up aside from the distant chatter in the Weyr.

On another day, Rhianwen might have just continued past with her ride, but the good weather had held on for a few days now--long enough for the ground to dry through and for blue to be the expected color when one looked up, rather than a happy surprise, and it left her feeling lackadaisical and social: willing to enjoy the good weather for what it was rather than what could be done in it.

"Goodday, bluerider," she greeted. Rhianwen did not quite dismount yet, in case the man wanted to be left in peace, but she did press, "What book has managed to steal your attention from this good weather?" She was always looking for another good book to read, or a reason to reread an older one.
Parker
Site Admin

Thu May 24, 2018 7:15 am

"Goodday, bluerider. What book has managed to steal your attention from this good weather?"

Of all the people that could have happened upon him, the last person he would ever expect to encounter was Rhianwen herself. Sid had been so engrossed in reading he hadn't even noticed a runner anywhere in the area. He checked with Iolith who confirmed he'd seen the runner, but wasn't worried about it. Where the heck the blue was he wasn't sure. Quickly Sid put his marker in his book and then quickly stood up to be respectful. Last second he realized he should probably put his shirt back on as well. He didn't know Lady Rhianwen that well, but thanks to his time with Ambr he knew her somewhat. Since she was nobility he felt a bit bad about being so immodest around her. Quickly he bent down to grab his outer shirt and at least throw it on so he was a little more modest, but he didn't bother to button.

"Lady Rhianwen. Wasn't expecting any company out here. Sorry about that." He said first. He really wasn't sure that she didn't recognize him. Though, he really shouldn't be surprised with how differently he looked and it wasn't as if they were bosom buddies. "Oh...this is...it's ah..." He really didn't want to admit to one of the goldriders and a Lady Holder that he was reading trashy romance. He might not want anything to do with relationships, but he'd always been a secret lover of trashy romance novels, that hadn't changed. "It's called 'Wings...Wings of Passion'." He finally admitted a bit embarrassed. "It's a....guilty pleasure of mine." He said and then let the book fall to the blanket.

"How have you been? It's been awhile since we've talked." Sid asked politely. He was in a much better mood than he was earlier, but that was mainly thanks to the whisky he'd had and well...not even he could be rude to one of the queenriders.
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Candidate Carver | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

Linnea

Sun May 27, 2018 5:06 am

It was an odd duality, to find a sense of nostalgia and recognition in such a foreign face. Rhianwen could not place him when he put his book down, as familiar a chord as he struck with her--his actions, his voice, his appearance.

He put his shirt back on and apologized and Rhianwen took that as a signal to dismount, holding to the reins of the runner as she drew closer. "Please don't be so concerned," she soothed, "I had not expected to find anyone else out here, either. It's a bit further from the Weyr than most people wander." She probably should have just left him to his book.

His apparently seedy book. Rhianwen sent it a wide-eyed glance as he shared the title. She knew of such books, of course, in the same way she knew of prints and sketches that visually displayed sensual imagery for people's enjoyment. Books with such scenes written were maybe not the most common, but were certainly said to be popular enough to be worth the effort to produce and distribute. Rhianwen had, out of curiosity, opened one at random once to a particular gauche interlude and quickly returned it to its earlier place. She could only imagine what her mother would say, what Inez's mother would say, about such a book's impropriety. If it were not for her repulsion by male sexuality, she might be curious enough to try to read one through again.

"How have you been? It's been awhile since we've talked."

That caused Rhianwen pause. She had spoken to this man before? She studied his face for a few seconds, focusing more and more on the parts that seemed somehow familiar until a picture made itself clear in her mind's eye. "Sid'nis," she finally replied, "I honestly hadn't recognized you at first. It has been awhile, indeed." She had not kept up with the man after he and Ambrosius had split up. Sid'nis had never been the one of the two she cared about, after all. Apparently she had missed quite a bit in the intervening turns. "I am doing well," she finally answered his question, "Enjoying the good weather while I can, as I imagine you are doing. How about you?"
Parker
Site Admin

Mon May 28, 2018 5:27 pm

"Please don't be so concerned," she soothed, "I had not expected to find anyone else out here, either. It's a bit further from the Weyr than most people wander."

Sid'nis tried to visibly relax in the presence of the goldrider, but he'd been a rider long enough to have a healthy dose of respect for any and all of them. "Thank you. I'll try to not be concerned." He stated. "Yes, that it is. I rather like it out here this far. The solitude can be nice from time to time. Iolith isn't too far, though, I don't think, but he likes to come out here with me for some fresh air." He'd be a liar if he said he wasn't a little annoyed at having his alone time interrupted, but at least it was by someone pleasant.

"Sid'nis. I honestly hadn't recognized you at first. It has been awhile, indeed. I am doing well. Enjoying the good weather while I can, as I imagine you are doing. How about you?"

His head turned to look down at his feet. While he wasn't ashamed of the appearances he'd made, he knew the reasons he'd made them were not as simple as 'oh, I just thought it would look better'. "No, I didn't think you had recognized me. That's alright. I know I look quite different." That was an understatement. "Yes, the weather is wonderful today despite the season. I can't blame you for wanting to enjoy it." That next question though..."Oh, about the same. Decided to enjoy the sun, a little drink, and reading while I could. I'm sorry I don't have anything other than whisky to offer, but if you'd like some whisky I'd be more than welcome to share with you."
Image Image Image Image

Linnea

Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:28 pm

Rhianwen honestly did not know how to respond to the changes she saw. With each passing moment of study, yet another jumped out to her and each one appeared worse than the last. She kept her usual smile on and kept her mouth shut, instead. She knew best when to let sleeping whers lie. When Sid'nis offered some whisky to her on the other hand, she had to decline.

"I would rather avoid the use of hard liquor when I have a horse to ride back to the weyr," she explained with a well-timed laugh, "Though I appreciate your offer." She sent a glance back to her saddlebag. "It won't be much between the two of us," she returned the offer, "But I do have some picnic items on me. How do you say to a small meal? I'm afraid I've been horribly remiss in keeping up with you since your return to Atricis." She could see him fed to soak up some of the alcohol that way, at least. He looked thinner than she remembered, too. Or at least thinner than she felt he should. Rhianwen filed away a note to follow up on the man to see how he was doing and how safe he was to fly. It would ultimately be his wingleader's decision, but she did not want someone who was a threat to themself or others flying thread.
Parker
Site Admin

Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:01 pm

"Yes, runnerback riding and the use of alcohol is just asking for disaster." Sid certainly would feel more than bad if she drank something and then got hurt riding back to the weyr. To be fair, she really didn't strike him as the type to drink harder alcohol period. Back in the holds, whisky would not be considered a very lady like drink. Still, he would have felt too rude if he hadn't offered anyways.

"A picnic? Oh umm..." Sid'nis had to think about it for a moment. He really would rather enjoy his solitude, but this was one of the goldriders. It would have been beyond rude to not accept her offer. "Yes, please, join me. There is plenty of blanket for us both to sit on. " He said as he moved up to the goldrider on his runner and offered to take the basket so she could dismount. He then placed the basket on the blanket.

Sid waved off her apoligy. "Don't apologize to me. I could have done better about checking in on you to see how you were doing." He and Rhianwen had never been super close which was the main reason why he didn't actively seek her out more often. "On that note...How have you been?"
Image Image Image Image

Linnea

Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:53 pm

When Sid'nis agreed to share her meal, Rhianwen pulled the parcels from the saddlebag, trusting the beastcrafter had been telling her the truth when he called the runner ground-tie trained. The gelding didn't move an inch and Rhianwen signed in relief before grabbing the oil paper packages and passing them over to Sid'nis at his offer of assistance.

"Don't apologize to me. I could have done better about checking in on you to see how you were doing."

Rhianwen sat on the blanket, making sure to keep her boots in the grass. "You are not part of the Weyr's leadership," she pointed out in reply as she unwrapped each item Sid'nis set between them to produce sliced cold meats and cheeses, a small loaf of bread and some cold roasted vegetables. She also placed out a pot of jam that had been carefully nested between everything else and a wineskin filled with watered-down wine. It would have been a fair spread for one person, but the single serving portions meant it could not be called a full meal for either, though it would go a long way all the same.

While his Weyrleader and Wingleader would have made sure Sid'nis settled back in well enough, Rhianwen took her duties as Weyrwoman Second and Weyr diplomat as important, which meant not only maintaining firm connections with leaders and representatives from other weyrs and holds, but in maintaining an open and approachable countenance for the people of her own home. The biggest part of either was in regular contact and an expression of interest in their lives or what they have to say--personal opinions aside.

When Sid'nis asked how she was doing, therefore, Rhianwen replied, "Quite well. The winter months can be difficult ones with how wet it gets here, but at least it's not as biting cold as parts of the Benden coast could get. And Telgar's winters would pile the snow and bring driving winds, so it's mild in comparison. Sunny, warm days like this are still a lucky break." Rhianwen smiled and laughed to herself, "Though I guess come summer when Lennoth is on the sands and demanding my presence, I am envious of that same cold. If only she rose in autumn."

Rhianwen pulled off a piece of bread then used a knife to smear some of the jam on it. "Other than that, winter is full of paperwork whenever I am here and a fair number of trips north. And how do you fare?" She worked to keep the conversation going, falling back on turns of education and training, keeping her comments curious but light. Sid'nis could respond to them as he pleased or did not. "I feel there must be a story there with as much as you have changed in appearance. We've yet to interact enough for me to decide if you've changed much in personality."
Parker
Site Admin

Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:14 pm

Sid'nis chuckled a little. "No, that I am not. No offense, but I am rather glad of that. You and the rest of the leadership does an amazing job, I think, but that has never been a rank I've ever wanted. Not really even wingthird." He admitted and then realized that might make him sound lazy. "I was a stands impression. Was on duty as a healer when Iolith picked me. I always figured I'd simply stay a healer, but Iolith had other ideas. Still, the duties of wingrider allow me to still focus some on healing, so it works well for me." He explained as he watched her lay out the food between them. Since he didn't have his shoes on he sat cross-legged on the blanket. "This all looks great. Thank you again for sharing with me." The cheese in particular looked very good, as did the jam.

He began to make a small sandwich out of the meat, cheese, and bread as he listened politely as she spoke. "Oh yeah, I'm sure that is rather miserable. I suppose I've never really thought about how the weather would affect how hot the sands are. I can't imagine it being very comfortable having to stay with your lovely gold in the middle of the summer months." He only ever visited the sands during a hatching. Those didn't last too long, maybe a couple of hours at most, so he didn't have to endure the heat for long. "I sort of miss the snow back in Benden. The way the weyr would look after the first fall. So beautiful. I visit Benden when I can, but I always try and stay a bit longer when I get to go there in winter." There was nothing like the sight of fresh fallen snow undisturbed by footprints and the quiet that came with winter in the north was serenity itself. They just got storms and rain upon rain showers down here. Muddy grounds and gray skies didn't exactly hold a candle to the perfect winter scene.

Inevitably the question was turned around to him. "I...umm..." He began, but really wasn't sure how to answer. He certainly didn't feel it was proper to pour out all his issues on her. Rhianwen was a Jr. Weyrwoman for Faranth's sake. She had the entire weyr to worry about. Sid could only imagine the level of stress that came with having an entire weyr to think of. "Let's say that I did it for my own sanity." That was true enough without having to drag her down with his sorrows. "Umm...well, if there is any difference with my attitude I'll be sure to spare you from it." He knew he was more bitter than he had ever been in his life, he was more prone to anger, and he was far more of a pessimist than before. None of those things he wished to show her.
Image Image Image Image

Linnea

Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:54 pm

"Everyone has their own position in life and duties therein," Rhianwen agreed. It was something she had always grown up knowing. She was afforded privileges many others were not, being born the daughter of a Lord Holder. It meant her responsibilities were in balance, however. It was that weight Rhianwen had not been able to bear. Weyr leadership was a relief. So many lives and livelihoods depended on her now, but she had self-determination she never had as a lady.

"Growing up, Weyrs were forbidden," Rhianwen said after Sid'nis waxed poetic on the snow at Benden Weyr. "I do go at times now, as my duties take me there, but it is generally only for a few hours and most of those indoors and in meetings. I do agree snow is a pretty thing to look at, but I think back on my younger years and only remember how much harder snow made life." Rhianwen chuckled. "Even if I did enjoy playing in it as a child."

As Sid'nis stumbled around Rhianwen's own questions, she ate her bread and jam. "Everyone changes," she said once his halting words seemed to have hit their end. "You can spend your whole life with someone then realize they aren't the person you knew anymore or find you have learned to tolerate someone you used to despise." She reached out for a piece of cheese and meat each. "There's nothing inherently wrong with change, whether it is purely in appearance or purely in nature of some combination of the two." There were times when Rhianwen was faced with the realization that she was no longer the girl who had arrived at New Atricis, hungry for her own Hold and unwilling to leave Inez's side. Some of it hadn't been her choice. Inez was the one who chose to leave. Rhianwen was the one who needed to stay. Ambrosius had changed, as well. He had changed a lot, actually. Some of it due to the man she now ate with, some of it due to his own choices. Rhianwen saw him sometimes, on trips to Benden Weyr. Those were the trips she usually had to hold herself back from visiting Inez. No good would come from that. "Sometimes it can be hard, because nothing is the same, but hiding who you are or who you are becoming helps no one and nothing in the end." Rhianwen ignored the niggle of gold in the back of her mind calling her a hypocrite. This was not about her, after all.