Silent Place for Stealth <tag Cehrazad>

The lands around New Atricis that are regarded as Atricis' new territory. Not as big as their previous protective range, but still lots of space and wilds to explore. Dragon Flights and Wher Runs also occur across these lands.
LdyPayne

Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:08 pm

I'ent certainly had no argument about Cehrazad's statement about what kind of predators were in Walled. "Yeah, that certainly is the truth. I learned long ago not to draw any of their attention..." I'ent would have added 'especially the women' but stayed silent on that part. He certainly didn't want to anger Cehrazad especially since their talk so far seemed non threatening.

<You really should ease up on this issue yuo have with the females of your kind. Remember what Wraith's has told you? The women he introduced you too wasn't that bad even if you were even more awkward.> Shireth reminded her rider. She could feel his distrust seething deep within him but for the life of her she couldn't understand it. Even sifting through his unguarded memories she didn't see many females in his life.

I'ent looked down when Shireth reminded him of what Locke had told him about women and not seeing them all as a threat. He had talked to the one women Locke assured him he could trust and it hadn't gone that bad. I'ent hadn't talked much but she had been pretty. Cehrazad was pretty too and he had Stood with her and Impressed at the same clutch as her and went through Weyrlinghood with her even though he had never talked to her other than what was necessary during all that time. He heard others talk about her and other girls, usual boy talk for the most part but he didn't recall anything said about her that would warrant him being suspicious of her. Yet he couldn't shake the fact she was from Walled Hold and all women there at least, far as he was concerned, couldn't be trusted. It was an instinct he still couldn't shake.

"Yeah, being somewhere quiet is good," I'ent murmured, finally tuning in to what she had to say about his question.

<Precious, she's not going to hurt you. You are a rider, like her. A greenrider like her and nothing would have her do something to harm you because she knows that would upset me and I would smack her silly before I let her harm you Precious. So ease up with the suspicion will you? Take a chance and know I'll always have your back.>

I'ent blushed and looked uncomfortable at Shireth's words to the point he looked down and kicked at the dirt with his foot like a child being scolded. He knew Shireth wouldn't say such things if there wasn't truth in the way he was behaving. Maybe he should take a chance? He did believe Shireth would have his back no matter what.

"Ah, what are the views you like best?" I'ent asked, trying to sound like he hadn't felt like he had been scolded by a parent a few moments before. "That is, how can there be any view in The Bottoms that anybody would consider 'nice'? Unless it's seeing the better quarters."

Now that she felt her rider was no longer acting craven in the face of a woman who was friendly enough, Shireth turned her attention to Nahumth. {color=#249B07]<I don't think it's dangerous to our riders...then again I haven't seen it yet. I was staking out it's lair waiting for it to come out. The hole is too small for me to get in so I have to wait for it ti come out...hopefully the foul beast didn't slither out and escape while I was distracted here.>[/color]
Ainokesshou

Fri May 04, 2018 6:38 pm

She could understand not wanting to draw the predators' attention. She had made a career out of drawing their attention, but focusing it in a gentle way. She couldn't say that had always protected her, though. Some people took extra pleasure from hurting victims the more vulnerable they seemed, and she'd had a few bruises from that type of customer. Once she went into business for herself, those customers never got a second swing at her, but...

And she didn't know whether the male or female violent customers had been worse. The males tended to have more upper body strength, and hit harder, but the females tended to have a better understanding of where to hit to do the most damage. To her earnings if nothing else. Facial bruises hurt her ability to draw in clients, after all, and that had been worse than the physical pain.

The women who tried to turn their social power on Cehrazad, to control or abuse her with threats, had soon learned that the legion officer who frequently visited her was quite protective.

"So you decided to be the kind of prey that avoids predators with camouflage," she said, looking at the sky, "hiding from them as much as possible," and she couldn't fault him. There were a limited number of ways to survive as prey, after all. "I thought I was prey with teeth at the time," she said, "but I've started to believe I was not much more than a pet that secretly shredded her mistress's belongings while she was away." What really had she achieved, sneaking around Walled Hold, reporting the illegal predators to Sha'ryar and smugly watching them suffer punishment, while she submitted to the predators who had the protection of the Mother?

You helped the people they were hurting, Nahumth pointed out to her rider, as if that was the only thing that mattered, before turning to her clutch-sister. I am sure it did not sneak away, she replied to Shireth. Surely at least one of them would have noticed, even if they had been focused on other things. When it emerges, we should kill it together. Mine needs reminding that it is always useful, and satisfying, to destroy dangerous predators.

Cehrazad laughed at his comment on the Bottoms' views. "Oh, I agree, there aren't as many pretty views in Walled Hold. I was thinking of sitting on the top of buildings at the Weyr and watching the stars at night," she smiled at him, "though seeing people from above in the Hold could be useful, even if it wasn't pretty."
Quiloth     Elahrairath     Nahumth      
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
   Atumra       Panlovis     Galask  Gask                      
LdyPayne

Mon May 07, 2018 5:15 pm

I'ent wasn't sure he liked being referred to as 'prey' despite the fact he just preferred not to be preyed upon by the meaner and stronger denizens of The Bottoms. He did what he could to survive and he had been just a kid when his father died and he had to figure out how to live on his own. What I'ent didn't want to be was the sort who harmed others and used threats to get what they wanted. Maybe because he was never that strong but now, after all this time at New Atricis he realized he was strong. He had put on plenty of weight, all lean muscle, he was more confident in himself and he had Shireth not to mention he knew how to fight much better than he ever did. No, he wouldn't be prey anymore even if he still didn't want to go out and intentionally hurt people. Stealing from those who had plenty of wealth and giving it to those who struggled just to survive suited him better.

"I suppose I was that sort but not anymore," I'ent said more boldly than he realized. "Back then I didn't have any other choice so did what I needed to survive and avoiding the predators by not being seen...worked for me."

I'ent had never really looked up at the stars as something beautiful. He at first was quite nervous to look up and see so much open space above him. He had been used to the enclosed low ceiling of The Bottoms it had taken him nearly half a Turn to get used to the more open aspect of the Weyr.

"I never really looked at stars... but I can see why looking down from a height in The Bottoms would be useful." Didn't Locke say traveling over the roofs was one way The Reaper moved about unobserved? Learning how to safely climb buildings and travel over the roofs was likely a good skill to have. Did Cehrazad have that skill? I'ent realized she pretty much admitted to that already given she already told him about her love of climbing. "I never actually tried climbing up buildings and things...probably a useful skill to have."

<Lets go then, we can draw it out and kill it together. One less monstrous creature to threaten our home. Besides my Precious seems alright with yours for the time being. He's so odd around the females of his kind.>
Ainokesshou

Sun May 20, 2018 10:51 pm

Cehrazad nodded, there was no way that a dragonrider could truly be prey. Even the tragic death of the Walled's goldrider had not meant the woman had been prey, but only that she was killed by a more dangerous predator. But there was something about the way he said that - that he wasn't prey anymore - that made her wonder.

"I don't suppose either of us has to worry much about human predators anymore," she agreed, "Especially not the ones in Walled Hold." They were well away from that, though it was possible that I'ent had left some family behind. Cehrazad preferred not to think about, let alone talk about, the half-sister who shouldn't even know she existed. But she was as safe as any child in Walled Hold could be.

"And our lovely dragons won't let us need to worry about any other kind of predators, either," she said, with a proud, vicious smile as she listened to the two of them make plans to take out a tunnel snake.

"Climbing to the top of buildings IS a useful skill," she continued, "though less so now that Nahumth can just give me a lift when I need one. But if you want to get up there without attracting attention?

She smiled a gentler, fond smile at the two greens, "They usually aren't very subtle."
Last edited by Ainokesshou on Sun May 27, 2018 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
LdyPayne

Mon May 21, 2018 5:48 pm

The vicious smile which crossed Cehrazad's face had I'ent tense. It was the sort of smile he'll seen on the woman who had his sister as a slave. The same smile she had when she ordered her guards to take him and sell him into slavery. He had no idea if Cehrazad was that sort of woman or not but the smile definitely put him on guard. It took him a few moments to force himself to relax as he realized she was likely referring to what Shireth and Nahumth were planning to do over what she planned to do with him. I'ent was really starting to feel women were just too difficult to understand to be worth trying to be at ease with them.

I'ent knew Shireth could be very suptle if she wanted to be. Afterall they had snuck into Walled Hold a time or two with Locke but I'ent didn't want to mention that. As somebody who had lived in Walled I'ent suspected she heard of The Reaper but that didn't mean she liked the man or that I'ent will ever admit he knew The Reaper's true identity. If Locke wanted Cehrazad to know he would tell her himself and as far as I'ent knew, the two never met.

"It really would have been useful to know before I came here...but I think it would be fun to learn...good way to keep in shape." I'ent didn't want to reveal he felt it would make him all the more useful to Locke if he can climb up onto buildings as a lockout, then again he suspected Locke was very skilled at it already. He certainly knew how to get into upper windows from the ground up anyway. Should he trust Cehrazad to teach him however, even if she was willing? If it wasn't for the fact Locke was a busy man, what with his husband and the children they adopted, on top of I'ent's own duties, it was hard enough to train with him as it was. "But I am sure you have far more important things to do to show me how to climb buildings...even if you wanted to."
Ainokesshou

Sun May 27, 2018 12:50 am

And there, I'ent tensed again. Cehrazad wished she knew why the other greenrider sometimes seemed to dislike her, but he managed to push it down. Nahumth didn't share her curiosity, as far as she was concerned, if two riders didn't like each other, and they weren't even on the same wing, it shouldn't matter. Cehrazad, though...

She remembered her mother's alliances with the other workers in the brothel, when she had been growing up. Greenriders in New Atricis Weyr were not as high-ranked as they had been in Walled, obviously, and Cehrazad had heard whispers that some in the northern holds and crafts had outright disrespect for them, for many of the same reasons that the good, upstanding citizens of Walled Hold had looked down their noses at Cehrazad and other ladies of the night. Though the situation for greenriders in New Atricis was fine, she felt uncomfortable relying on that.

"I can teach you how to climb building, if you're actually interested," she said, seeing an opening for the kind of relationship she actually wanted with the man. "Even if it's not useful anymore," and she wasn't quite ready to believe that. Someday, knowing all the hidden spots and difficult to access points in even New Atricis Weyr might be important, "it's relatively fun, and it's good exercise. You'll work muscles you aren't accustomed to using."
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
LdyPayne

Sun May 27, 2018 5:29 am

Trying to keep his natural distrust of women out of way was proving a real challenge. Despite how nice and friendly Cehrazad was being I'ent still couldn't quite believe she didn't have some ulterior motive for it. He may have been in the same Weyrling class with her too but that didn't mean he knew her any better than any of the other women. Given the fact he had asked her to help teach him to climb buildings in a way he was the one who had another reason to talk to her. If he could learn a useful skill the risk would be worth it...providing she didn't push him off a building.

<Precious would I be out here hunting dangerous creatures with Nahumth if I doubted you would be safe with her rider? Trust a lady for a change, you did with me and look at what we are now?> Shireth broke into I'ent's thoughts. She could feel his paranoi and suspicion coming off him so strongly it was distracting her. I'ent may not have been socializing with the women of his Weyrling group but that didn't mean Shireth ignored her clutch-sisters.

I'ent exhaled and nodded, both to what Shireth told him and Cehrazad's own comment about whether he was interested in learning to climb buildings. "I wouldn't have asked...if I wasn't. I never thought about doing it before but now that you brought it up and with some thought...I want to learn, if you'll teach me. I can't pay much... but maybe I can do something for you in the future..."

>There Precious, that wasn't so hard now was it?> Shireth responded with amusement.
Ainokesshou

Sun May 27, 2018 3:09 pm

And here he was offering payment for lessons. Certainly, marks had once been Cehrazad's primary motivator. She had needed them to live, after all, so every moment of her time, every action for another person, had carried a specific price. These days, favors were more useful to her, since she would never have to worry that the Weyr would kick her out, as long as she and Nahumth did their jobs on the wing.

"There probably will be something you can do for me in the future," she acknowledged. She wrote to her little sister intermittently, and had visited a few times, but always wore gloves, and was nervous about letting the girl (or her adoptive parents) know her past. I'ent had no slave mark, freed or not, and certainly no history as a brothel worker. Whatever his background, without those marks against him he was less of an embarrassment than Cehrazad had the potential to be, and if she was ever cut off from the girl, he might still be able to check up on her.

"Did you leave behind anyone you cared about in Walled?" she asked, almost as if the question were unimportant. Perhaps he would understand needing to know someone was safe, even if you stayed out of their lives. Perhaps he would think she should have brought Donyazad here, instead, but she had already arranged the adoption before she was Searched. At the time she had believed it would be the greatest achievement of her life: a respectable life with a crafting family for the daughter and sister of brothel workers.

She thought warmly of Nahumth, and smiled unconsciously, the same soft happy smile most riders got sometimes. Well, getting Donyazad into a safe home still ranked pretty high.
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
LdyPayne

Mon May 28, 2018 9:36 pm

He couldn't help the tension that rippled through is body when Cehrazad mentioned there was a favour he could do for her in the future. Such words would likely spell trouble but he had asked for her help, only proper he help her in return. All I'ent could hope was she didn't abuse that favour and make him do something he would regret doing.

If she asks me to do something crazy in return I'm going to blame you for it Shireth. You're the one who encouraged me to be friends with her. I'ent informed his green. Her amusement actually helped ease his worry.

<And sneaking into Walled to steal food and money from people to help 'The Reaper' isn't crazy?> Shireth pointed out. >Speaking of which, you could ask his help in fulfilling your favour to this fine woman should you find it's over your head. Besides, I have a feeling any help she needs you to do for you may be something you'll enjoy.>

Shireth's implications had I'ent cheeks colour a little. It was enough to make him wonder if she'll be rising again soon. Shireth wasn't usually thinking such things unless it was close to another 'grand adventure'. At least he didn't have to worry about Nahumth chasing, being a green herself.

"Sure, I'll be willing to do you a favour in return," I'ent responded. "Unless it's completely insane of course, there are things even I won't do." Actually there were plenty of things I'ent won't do, but if he felt obligated to do so he would however. Why encourage her to ask him something dangerous if she wouldn't otherwise ask him for.

Her question was an easy one for him to answer. "I didn't leave anybody behind in Walled, in all honesty I have very little reason to go back there." I'ent had reason to go back there but he saw no reason to tell Cehrazad he would travel there to help The Reaper and had done so already.

"Had you?" He asked in return, thinking maybe she wanted help in bringing back a friend or lover or family member.
Ainokesshou

Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:20 am

Cehrazad smiled ruefully. It wasn't an insane thing to ask, except for the fact that I'ent apparently avoided going to Walled Hold. Well, so did she, most of the time. There were too many people there who knew exactly what her career used to be, and the knots of a greenrider could only erase so much of the stigma. "It's not a big favor, just something I've been doing a bit myself, and I think it would be better if I weren't the only one." She cocked her head to consider him.

"I did actually leave someone behind in Walled," she acknowledged, "though I hadn't seen her since the day my mother died, until I Impressed." Getting their mother's owner to admit that the expense of a wetnurse, and the hours for her other slaves to take care of a useless baby, was not worth the free slave she would probably get when the baby grew up and wasn't fit for any craft had been easy enough, though Cehrazad was somewhat amazed that she had managed it while devastated by her mother's death.

"I don't go check on her often," Cehrazad continued, rubbing the back of her hand. "Eventually she would notice the gloves, and end up asking about...." Well, with the completed pattern showing she'd been freed, she didn't bother hiding the tattoo from the others in the Weyr. But she really didn't want Donyazad to ever know about Cehrazad's history, or her own origin. "All I really want is for you to check on her a few times," she said. "She might be adopted into a good family, but I don't totally trust that, so it would be nice if the less reputable citizens of Walled Hold noticed that several different dragonriders were interested in her."
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage